Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I am wondering which ski the experts here would recommend for me.

I ski most days in the season, and I think I am a level 8. I have skied several weeks on Salomon Lords at 177, and I like them a lot. I would describe them as a little light, a little soft, but great fun on piste and in powder, not so good in crud. The main drawback is the construction quality: I've got delamination on the upper surfaces. (Partly this is user-induced: the skis became abraded on the inner edges of the tips, because I ski too close.) But I also ski on Volkl Race Tiger SLs at 165, which seem much tougher and show no signs of wear. I take the Volkls when I am with a group who I know are going to ski ON-piste all day. The other occasional problem I get with the Lords is judder on steep icy slopes. You will tell me that is due to incorrect technique, and you are right, I do sit back a bit. K2 Recons got a lot of promotion, so I borrowed a pair for a day, but found them dull. They did everything I wanted to do, but were no fun.

The other data: I am 60, 6'00", and 75kg - or should that be 1.83m and 165lb? I ski steeps and bumps and powder through the trees and near the piste. I have no intention of skiing the Park, or backwards, or anything clever. If it helps and you know Verbier, I enjoy the moguls down to Tortin, but am intimidated by the front side of Mont Gele.

OK. The question. The Lords are no more. Should I replace them with another pair, or should I consider something else, that would match my abilities/aspirations outlined above?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 11-04-10 22:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
planeurge,

I'm assuming you still want an all-rounder rather than an off-piste only ski? I would try things like:

Stoeckli Stormrider VXL or XXL,
Voelkl Mantra or Unlimited AC50
Blizzard Titan Atlas or Cronus
Movement Source or Couloir
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mantras, scott crusades, line prophet 100's the list continues!

The above 3 are all stiffer and wider than the lord, better made and ski ohh so sweet! I do love the mantra, and you can never beat the germans for build quality...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, Thanks for the suggestions. dansmith, Yes, after reading about the skis on Brian's list, the Mantra was looking promising. I'll have to try some of them, but it isn't all that easy/affordable to try out a lot of skis and give each of them a proper workout. "Stiffer" - I think I want that. But does "stiffer" mean duller? Do you know what I mean about the Recons?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stiffer = better at speed and better edge hold

haven't skied recons but K2 have a rep for producing quite soft skis in general
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
planeurge, what you refer to on the Recons is commonly referred to on these forums as 'dampness' not 'stiffness'.

It's a property that does come in useful sometimes, at speed and on ice for instance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure that'd I'd put Prophets in there. There's an awful lot of tail for someone who likes bumps but not going backwards. They are tough, though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
planeurge, welcome to snowheads.

I've some movement gladiators for sale that might fit your bill - see here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60467&highlight=

yes, they're twin tips, but it doesn't really have any negative effect that I could spot
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've heard the Recons are dull. Considered them myself once, sounds like it was a good option to give them a miss.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
planeurge, I kinda know what u mean about the reccons, personally think cos the ski is over dampened it can feel a little dead... also thought that the wata 84 was the most boring ski i have ever skied but everyone else seems to like it!

Mantra gives good pop out the turns and will perform anywhere, Had one of the best runs of my life on them last year in Bormio, leaving fresh tracks at the top in the pow then going down the gs race course at the bottom....really felt like the ski could do everything.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
planeurge, I kinda know what u mean about the reccons, personally think cos the ski is over dampened it can feel a little dead... also thought that the wata 84 was the most boring ski i have ever skied but everyone else seems to like it!

Mantra gives good pop out the turns and will perform anywhere, Had one of the best runs of my life on them last year in Bormio, leaving fresh tracks at the top in the pow then going down the gs race course at the bottom....really felt like the ski could do everything.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt, I've replied on your for sale thread.

I can't see anything wrong with your typing. Had to edit mine, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
planeurge, thanks, will mail you with details later - Have to go out now
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
planeurge, have at the gladiators, they're the best "all rounders" i've ever skied
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Lords have now been reunited with their owner (don't ask, but it might be a topic in another thread.) I am strongly tempted to buy a pair of Mantras anyway, to have some variety. I do ski about seventy days a season (less this season, which is why I have time to browse Snowheads so thoroughly), and I sometimes think I want a stiffer ski. Besides, it's useful to have a range available for my guests to borrow. Do the different bindings on offer make a difference? Are the various bindings widely adjustable for said guests of different boot-size?
ski holidays
Have a butchers at the Dynastar Sultan 85's. Eat everything, love cut up/bumped/not perfect snow, carve pistes, good in pow, not so keen on ice, nice and stiff but not knackeringly so.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy