Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What defines a family resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have seen a few resorts defined as a family resort but have yet to figure out what this means. me and hubby have 2 kids age 9&11 so apres ski is no use to us as we wouldnt take the kids into the bars and our skiing holiday generally consists of get back from slopes, have dinner, few games on the ds, crossword etc or maybe a night toboganning and then bed about 9.30 so what am I missing?

we are goingto Valmorel in March which is defined as a great family resort so what should I be doing there so I dont miss out on the family theme?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

we wouldnt take the kids into the bars

I think "family resorts" are sometimes defined in negative terms - ie not the kind of place that young people into noisy and drunken evenings with loud music late into the night would appreciate. Certainly in the resorts in our area (Espace Diamant) there aren't any bars, as far as I am aware, where you'd have the slightest problem taking children, particularly earlier in the evening. Most are attached to restaurants and very much places for the whole family. This area also lays on a variety of activities for kids - making igloos, walks on snowshoes to find tracks of animals, "escaladventure" with various climbing things, bridges across the gorge etc - at different levels for different ages, and also whole families. Probably valmorel does similar stuff and the local Tourist Office will have details of the programme for the week you're there - and the staff there will speak good english.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is actually a standard in France "Famille Plus Montagne" which is awarded to some resorts:-

Quote:
The Famille Plus commitment

In order to obtain the Famille Plus label, a resort must satisfy an extensive list of criteria in six different areas:

- Welcome and information,
- Resort events,
- Activities,
- Introduction to the local environment and heritage,
Accommodation and restaurants,
Facilities, public transport and safety.

There are four types of Famille Plus resort: mountain (Famille Plus Montagne), seaside (Famille Plus Mer), countryside (Famille Plus Nature), and town and city (Famille Plus Ville), with specific criteria that must be met according to the characteristics of each environment. The criteria that must be met are the same for all resorts within a specific category.

Famille Plus resorts guarantee families:

- A warm and family-friendly welcome,
- Events for all ages,
- Special prices for the very young,
- Activities for young and old, to be enjoyed separately or together,
- A local medical service capable of treating minor injuries.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier has a Famille Plus award, and there are loads of things for families to do. http://www.serre-chevalier.com/Skiing-boarding . Last winter they had a piste safety exercise, with children learning the rules of the slopes. Called 'pisteur prudent' , it was designed to educate the adults through thier children about speed, safety, difficulty etc. So not just activities and organised walks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Valmorel might have greater numbers of english speakers - but here, I think it would all be in French, unfortunately. Not that it would matter for all the activities.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Family resort = Flat. Its a well known code.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

in the resorts in our area (Espace Diamant) there aren't any bars

Puzzled

I can think of at least two in Notre Dame and one in Crest Voland. not the sort of places to attract rowdy British youth though, indeed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not relevant to the resort itself, but a short(ish) transfer could make life a lot more enjoyable for a family with youngsters.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

there aren't any bars, as far as I am aware, where you'd have the slightest problem taking children, particularly earlier in the evening.

Lizzard, out of context quote. Naughty. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, beat me to it Smile

Not familiar with Valmorel but other esorts I've been to seem to welcome kids. In Les Gets things like tobogganing, ic-skating etc... were very popular with families. Most bars were happy to have kids around and certainly early evening wouldn't be a problem
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
its not that I wouldnt take the kids into a bar, but they might sit there for 5 mins, then get bored, then they start to fight, then it makes for immense discomfort for me and hubby and then we cant leave quick enough. Unless there are some definite activities in the bars, I cant really see the point of taking kids into them.

For me something that would define a family resort would be activities arranged for the family, not whether the bars would accept them or not. like stuff to do in the evening. I just wondered what other peoples opinions were when looking for a "family resort" what actually defines it and I suppose it is all horses for courses.

thanks for your replies
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For us it means short transfer (less than 2 hrs), good nursery slopes, greens & blues suitable for skiing and snowboarding available as well as some more challenging terrain for Mr Kiwi. Quiet, uncrowded pistes, a lack of lift queues, good ski school(s) with english speaking instructors, daytime and evening childcare possibilities, other activities available i.e. tobogganing, ice skating etc and somewhere generally in Austria, Switzerland or Italy.

Apres ski may not exist and is not desired anyway but one or two nice daytime cafes for hot chocs and a couple of good restaurants to be able to eat out at in the evening are necessary too. This tends to mean a traditional mountain village resort rather than a purpose-built one. We also prefer NOT to fly in/out of Geneva cos that airport sounds like a 'mare.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
polo99, Although this applies to summer since my family don't go skiing, it could equally apply to apres-ski:

In a back pack or even pockets carry a pack of cards/top trumps but best of all Uno. Keeps us and the kids amused for hours. Play I-Spy. A game we play is AGG! (animal guessing game) Some one decides on an animal others take turns to ask questions (yes no answers) you get the picture!

Apres bars should keep a stash of colouring books and crayons/board games etc....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flatbob, Les Carroz is Famille Plus, but definitely not flat, it's also closest to Geneva, which as Dubaian suggests, is a good thing for others looking for a family resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy