Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Tyres (yes I know)

Poster: A snowHead
Samerberg Sue, No idea why you have got you knickers in a twist with me Confused , enjoy your skiing, lets hope you have the correct ski on for the correct conditions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is a UK Summer tyre? One designed to give the best grip in both wet and dry conditions above 7'c.
What is a winter tyre? One designed to give the best grip in conditions below 7'c.

If your argument is about safety then you should have 2 sets. Try explaining your argument to the mother of thechild you knocked down because it took 2 meters extra to stop on your winter tyres in July.
If your argument is about cost then you'd have the budget set that last longest (ie cheapo summer tyres). Or if you removed part worn summer tyres to fit winter ones, why not just refit the summer ones later.

Or is your argument seems to be about everyone else excepting that you're right?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
agt, An emotional argument, cool. Teach you that at Enron did they Laughing Laughing

On the basis of your temp argument then for the vast majority of our 'Winter' no one would have Winter tyres on in the UK. Due to hit 9+ this week where I live, what to do?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
thefatcontroller,
However I'm sure you will wish to have the last word - it's your speciality I believe!
Toofy Grin

wink snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, Touche Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
agt, Thanks for that... have found some reviews which point in the same direction. The only others at a "reasonable" price I have quoted are Federal, which are about half the price of Verdesthingy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevo_the_saddler, buy what you think is best, within your budget.

BUT, there used to be an advert (for Michelin or Pirelli, I can't remember) where a guy was in a tyre bay and got a quote for 4 branded tyres and four budget. He was then explaining to the fitter how he was going to have the budget as it was his wives car and she only ran round locally to the shops, work, running the kids to school, running them to clubs.................. at this point his voiced tailed off and then he ordered the branded tyres instead.

Clever marketing, and I'm sure every tyre at £100 isn't better than every tyre at £70, but all the same I always buy the best reviewed tyre I can afford at the time. Just a thought.

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
agt, You're correct

thefatcontroller, Your arguments are fundamentally flawed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think that Austria (and the other alpine areas) have generally higher summer temperatures than the UK. In the UK, temperatures above 20 for any length of time are unusual enough to be called a "barbecue summer"... and as has been said above, we seem to have a lot more rain.

Certainly where I live it was over 20 degrees during day time continuously for about a month last year (June). After that it seemed to rain pretty consistently, and I would imagine that the wet stuff reduces the road temperatures, which is what should affect tyres most. Looking at the met office website, our mean temperature in the south west is never above about 18 degrees - so not that far from the correct range for the winter tyres!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't know how much difference it makes, but my winter tyres are Vredestein snowtrac, not wintrac
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevo_the_saddler, I fit Federals at work regularly. For the price the quality holds up well. The big name brands tyres are better in that they have the latest developments incorporated into them but I suspect what your paying for is the advertising. Mid range tyres tend to be made by companies who are wholy or partly owned by the "big names" (ie Barum are owned by Continental) and, although a year or 2 behind the main brands in terms of technology, most of the price differential is in the advertising budget. The third tier which is the budget tyres can be anything from decent quality right down to crap. Federals fall somewhereat the lower end of midrange tyres in my experience.

Spyderman, Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am willing to except being wrong given the right argument...

adrian
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller wrote:

On the basis of your temp argument then for the vast majority of our 'Winter' no one would have Winter tyres on in the UK. Due to hit 9+ this week where I live, what to do?

Which is, of course, the main reason winter tyres are not stocked as a matter of course by most UK tyre dealers. There is very little demand because for most of the UK winter, there is little if any benefit for most people.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We used MyTyres recently to order winter tyres for the MIL who lives up a very steep hill. OH ordered them to be delivered to a local fitter, he then took the car down the hill for her to the fitter to await the delivery. Later that week the tyres were due to arrive but didn't, OH tracked the consignment number online and found they had a failed delivery code, he looked it up and reason was 'force majeure'. He rang the courier and found out that the delivery had been despatched to the MIL's address and not to the fitter Evil or Very Mad

The force majeure was snow! The van driver could not get up the snow covered steep hill to deliver the winter tyres rolling eyes That's why we were ordering winter tyres and why the car was waiting for them at the garage at the bottom, funny really failed delivery of snow tyres due to snow on the road Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rather than listen to emotional drivel and going down the child killer route rolling eyes rolling eyes I rang Vredestein this morning. They themselves have many employees who run Wintracs all year and see no overriding reason in the UK for people to have 2 sets. In other countries where you get consistent temperatures over long periods then yes they would recommend Winter and Summer sets. However in the UK we get very inconsistent weather, lets no forget our Summer? last year consisted of 6 weeks of rain. So say what you want, do what you want, IDGAF. I'll run with the manufacturers advice thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ths probably isn't important to tractor drivers but when I change from winter to summer tyres in the spring there is a marked improvement in how the car handles and tyre noise.

Do however agree that for the UK a top quality all-season tyre (with mountain/snowflake symbol) probably gives you the best performance across the conditions you are more likely to experience while being suitable for winter driving in the alps.
snow report
Why not go for the compromise in the UK? An allweather tyre.
I run Vredestein Quatrac 3. They were new for last years UK snow where they performed superbly. Then they had a trip to StA, coping with a very snowy Arlberg pass in, very icey out. Never needed chains.
On return they had a noticibly better grip/braking wet weather perfomance than my previous tyres. I take the point about handling but in my case most of that is because I run the recommended (by the vehicle manufacturer for winter fitment) higher and narower profile. I also make sure I use Vredesteins pressure recommendation, which in my case is higher than the ordinary tyre.
Noise is not an issue, from inside the car at least. I assume they pass EU specs for that and of course they have M + S and mountain/snowflake symbols.
Again, in the recent snow here in Surrey they performed admirably despite the fact that the front tyres are nearly down to (the recommended minimum?) 4mm. That's about half worn in 16000 miles. I wouldn't call that excessive. The rears have worn to 6mm from the new 9mm.
They were cheaper from Camskills than replacing the previously fitted 'normal' Avons. Yes, it did cost me £8 a tyre to be fitted but for the peace of mind it was a small price to pay. No need for a spare set of wheels/tyres or storage for same.
I don't think I will buy anything other than all weathers ever again.
ski holidays
On my TCS course last year they said that stopping distances for winter tires are approximately 25% worse than for summer ones when it gets above 7 Celcius. As others have noted they are also noisier and wear more quickly. Having said that I believe Swiss Post and some other large companies just stick to winter tires all year. As Samerberg Sue says we all have have our own views - if you have the time and inclination have two sets and probably save a bit of money in the long run, but sticking to winter tires all year is quite feasible.
ski holidays
Thanks for everyones advice... decided to go for the Verdestien Wintracs from Camskill. Hoping for a delivery this morning. Having looked at the current tyres which display the M & S plus mountain logo... they were "budget"ones (Eagle) and were average at best. So decided to go for better ones. Bet we have dry conditions all the way now Happy
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, even on bone dry roads, at temperatures below circa 7 degrees celsius you will stop quicker on winter tyres than all weather. snowHead
snow report
Delivery arrived.... wrong size GGRRR.. hope to have them tomorrow now
snow report
Camskill made amends for their error very quickly, new tyres arrived today... will report on their use if appropriate on my return after HT. Thanks for everyone's help.
latest report
Is it okay to just put 'winter/all weather' tyres on the drive wheels ( mines front wheel drive) like you would with snow chains ?
snow report
Mitchell, I asked that a few weeks ago, and was told most emphatically NO. With links to some videos Shocked
snow report
Mitchell, not recommended. when I had snow tyres just on the front (as recommended by French tyre salesman in Sallanches) I lost the back end despite driving with extreme caution and did a 180 skid. Very gentle, stayed on the road, but scary all the same. We now have four.
snow conditions
Nice article in this month's Evo about winter tyres, covering lap times, 0-60 and crucially stopping distances with and without winter tyres. A Jag XKR on an inch of snow from 60mph (admittedly not that sensible on snow!) took 100m to stop whereas on regular tyres it took 238m Shocked
ski holidays
Not to me but genuine letter from MD of Vredestein this week. Better to speak to the manufacturers rather than be a d*ckhead and label people child killers without facts rolling eyes rolling eyes

11th February 2010

Dear XXXX

Following our discussions and investigations on the question of ‘cold weather’ tyres being used during the summer months, I am pleased to confirm the following, which has been qualified by our technical department.

Vredestein gives the safety aspects of our tyres top priority. We have developed a wide range of tyres to offer optimal grip in every conceivable circumstance. That is why our award winning cold weather tyres are an excellent choice for the colder months of the year (average temperature below 7 Celsius), as is our summer tyre during the summer period.

If a customer chooses to run cold weather tyres all year round, there are no dangers in doing so. In fact, we would prefer customers driving with cold weather tyres throughout the whole year versus driving with summer tyres throughout the whole year.

Cold weather tyres during colder months of the year provide improved traction and braking distances can be significantly shorter compared to a summer tyre in the same conditions. Dedicated summer tyres, in summer conditions, perform slightly better than cold weather tyres. However, the difference in winter will be much greater in favour of using a dedicated cold weather application.

This makes the situation clear for everyone concerned and should resolve any misunderstanding.

Yours sincerely
Vredestein (UK) Ltd

Stuart M Jackson
Managing Director
latest report
thefatcontroller,

Well done. I can add to that my personal experience of running 4 cars, 1 van, 1 4x4 and 2 trucks on winter tyres all year in the UK and France for the last 7 years. There is'nt a wear problem, there is a very slight noise increase in the cars, there is a slight handling difference in the cars (different but not necessarily worse in my opinion), wet weather performance is definetly better and if you ever go on a muddy field you can generally drive past all the rest of the wildly spinning masses without a problem.
latest report
Blizzaks.

Or, studded and sipped snow tires of any kind.

that is all you need to know

(the studs are for stopping power, sipped tires give you 20 percent more grip, but will of course wear your tread down faster)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

that is all you need to know

no it isn't
ski holidays
Just a case of someone gone nutty on winter tyres

Last January I tried to get Vredestein Wintrac for my Subaru Outback and was told £150 a piece. Within a week the stock ran out in UK Vredestein depot and only two were left (for the size I wanted). I was offered £175 a piece to get it shipped from Germany. In the end I opted for Nokian WR, still £125 a piece.

The stock tyre Geolandar G900 on the Subaru Outback has been described as both summer and all season tyre but it has very little amount of sipes which dominate the winter tyre.

I have driven the car with stock type into deep snow, say 150 to 200mm thick, in my estate when no one dared to come out. The stock tyre could get me out no different from the winter tyre. When braking on ice the stock tyre triggers the ABS a lot earlier though than the winter tyre. I went after the winter tyre because on the first icy day I drove deliberately faster than I did normally out of my drive to test the Subaru and found myself 180 degree to the direction I intended to travel.

I took the Subaru Outback on winter tyres to Ski Amade in Austria and then Dolomites in Italy a few weeks ago and went through as many mountain passes as I could both in Austria and Italy. I reckon my car should be among the last ones that fail to cope with the snow condition as I carried a set of snow chains too. The winter tyre, plus the 4WD, gave me the confident to go anywhere and it did go anywhere I wanted, as long as the road wasn't closed. On one day when the wife and I were exhausted after a few hours of skiing we drove the car to do the Sella Ronda to check out the 4 mountain passes. In Germany I let the Sat Nav to tell me where to go and found myself in a 100% white environment with the alignment of the road shown only by the posts inserted at the road edges. Traveling in snow dump in such a condition was truly scary especially I didn't know where I was.

After the 2500 miles trip the tread on the winter tyre was reduced from 11mm to 8.5mm after verifying with a digital vernier before and after the holiday. At that rate my winter tyre will wear out quickly in summer. I swapped the stock tyres back after the trip as in UK the 4WD on newish summer tyres seems to be coping adequately. It cost about £50 to put the 4 rubber into the alloys so a swap two sets of rubber on one set of alloys can cost £100. At the end I opted for a set of cheap alloys separately for the winter tyres.

The above is my first ownership winter tyres. Didn't bother with it first with a RAV4 and ending up in a skid. Couldn't find a manufacturer do winter tyres for the Mitsubishi Shogun which I ran on all season tyres for 8 years.

I suppose the real luxury of winter tyres is not having to bother with snow chains unless the condition is exceptionally bad.
ski holidays
saikee, Get about 37,000 miles out of a set of Vredestiens Wintrac 4 extreme's on my car. Also looking at this video not convinced of the benefit of all season tyres if you plan to so some snow based driving?

http://youtube.com/v/JGfvyPtYR0Y
snow report
All, I was 'converted' after being a sceptic on winter tyres and bought a set of Vredestiens Wintrac 4 extreme's last December at £95 a corner. Performance was amazing. Drove in the worst snow conditions you could imagine up the hill to Vallandry in Les Arcs - saw 4x4 with chains struggling - no probs at all. OK we know they're good in snow. However, when I come back from LA in April, I'd intended to put the two Bridgstone H/P's back on which I had bought in November and buy two more (all four were kn@ckered when I bought the car), what I've actually done is put the two Bridgstones on Ebay and bought a spare wintrac. I actually think the Wintracs are quieter than the Bridgstones (which are highly rated tyres) and [anecdotal] evidence would suggest wear is not a problem in UK summer climates.
To boot, they're bl**dy good off road!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy