Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Tyres (yes I know)

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry - been done to death I know, and yes I have searched and read various threads already.

I am looking for some winter (preferably) or all weather (possibly) tyres. I have come across mytyres.co.uk which have some really cheap (Sunny) and some relatively OK (Nankang). Does anyone have any knowledge of these brands? Also of mytres delivery times? They say 4 business days... just about gives me time. Also - should I get them delivered to my house or direct to a tyre place?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevo_the_saddler, I got an online quote (I think from Mytyres) which I thought looked good for a set of Vredestein Wintrack 4 Xtreme XL. It was about £580 AFAICR and then I needed them fitted. When I called my local independent tyre place to arrange a fitting they wanted to compete and came up with an all in price of under £540... in other words around a £80-£90 off. So, online isn't always best.

I have never heard of the tyres you mention. Everyone I speak to recommends Vredestein and I cannot speak highly enough of them. All through the serious snow of a few weeks back and while out in Austria a month back, I was able to just drive around fairly normally. They are rated to 130 mph as well - not that I would do such a thing of course Cool

There's a place in the Lakes called Catskill that do cheap deals on Vredestein if you want the hassle of going to get them fitted. I say it's worth looking up your local Vredestein dealer and haggle.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought 4 tyres for our trip to Austria next week from Camskill in the Lake District. They had what I needed in stock, dispatched the next working day and I got them the day after. Great service and well priced. The main tyre outlets can get them but they dont stock them so will take longer. I then got charged £50 for Kwik Fit to fit and they used Nitrogen to fill the tyre as the moisture in normal air can freeze in cold temperatures and affect the handling of the car. www.camskill.co.uk - hope that helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, essjay2730, thanks both... will have a look later.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Camskill from me - and for Verdesteins. Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevo_the_saddler, I've used My-Tyres about 6 times. Their delivery is fast. I've always had delivery straight to the tyre fitter and used their online pricing. Use the trade reviews on each tyre's page to pick which one is best.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Vredestein Wintrack 4 Xtreme

Been running these for a year now in Summer and Winter. Coped excellent in recent snow in France and UK, can't fault. Done 23k miles in them and expect to get another 15k. 38k miles out of a set ain't bad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, cool. I was wondering whether to leave them on all year round. Think I might now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, To what depth tread are you going to run them down to?
I've found a noticeable drop off in performance on snow now they're a bit worn.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
thefatcontroller, cool. I was wondering whether to leave them on all year round. Think I might now.

rob@rar ran his Winter Tyres all through last Summer(what there was of it)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, maybe I'll just buy that Aston for summer use. I dunno, choices, choices, choices.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:

Unless rich can't see why you would bother with 2 sets of tyres. Leave on all year Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman wrote:
thefatcontroller, To what depth tread are you going to run them down to?
I've found a noticeable drop off in performance on snow now they're a bit worn.

Vredesteins come with 9mm so that they have had 5-6mm when we went to the Alps. 5mm is the recommended limit for snow? They have a node on them at 3mm and this I would expect to hit around June and then will replace so they should be 6mm+ by the time I take them across next year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We bought Vredesteins this time round - not from mytyres but someone else OH found on the internet that came out cheaper. Delivered to us and he ran them down the road in the car to local garage who fitted them. He can't speak too highly of them, we now have a Berlingo (not my cup of tea to look at, but an economical car with huge amount of space inside so I am alright once inside it) which is not 4WD but with the Vredesteins we have had no probs so far this year and there is a particular bit of hill just near us in Les Gets that catches a lot of people out.

When we get back at the end of April we need to find another set of rims so that we (he) just changes those over himself without involving the garage.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Unless rich can't see why you would bother with 2 sets of tyres. Leave on all year

you don't have to be rich, just have a bit of storage space in the garage. Yes, Camskill and Vredesteins but we get them changed at the local independent tyre place. we generally seem to need wheel balancing etc too - I think bashing around in the snow and on some slightly dodgy surfaces can mess up the tracking a bit. We change for ordinary tyres at the end of the season, though this time I have some old snow tyres with enough tread to be legal, but not enough to be effective in the snow, so we'll use them this coming summer. They do need loads of tread to be really effective.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Unless rich can't see why you would bother with 2 sets of tyres. Leave on all year

you don't have to be rich, just have a bit of storage space in the garage

So you get 4 tyres for free wink Toofy Grin ? Apart form the storage you do have to buy 4 tyres and @ £150 each for my car it ain't worth it when the Vredestiens run fine all year round
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, You could also try http://www.tyremen.co.uk/winter-tyres.html I've recently bought some Vredesteins for swmbo's car, next day delivery. They were a couple of £ more expensive per tyre, but they had them in stock whereas Mytyres and Camskills did not.
snow conditions
Quote:

So you get 4 tyres for free

Well, the really, really, clever thing is, you see, that (believe it or not) 8 tyres last twice as long as 4 (or rather more than twice as long as snowtyres do wear rather quicker in summer temperatures).

And I reckon that the twice yearly check on balancing and tracking probably gives me quite a bit of extra mileage on each tyre, too. Simples. Little Angel
ski holidays
pam w, but as Vredesteins are perfectly acceptable for Summer driving why would I change? I did read up on the point about Summer tyre thread wear for Winter tyres and yes if you live in Greece then that could be an issue but in the UK its not of concern..what Summer Puzzled

The Vredesteins I have on will last longer that the non Winter tyres I had on before. Safer and better value in the end. Also my car does not have a temporary type spare wheel its full size so I need to have 5 of the same set of tyres.

Again IMO 2 sets of tyres for UK based people is a waste of money.
ski holidays
thanks for eveyones help
latest report
Quote:

Also my car does not have a temporary type spare wheel its full size so I need to have 5 of the same set of tyres.

no, mine doesn't either. I actually have a snow tyre spare (more than legal, but no longer an effective snow tyre). If I have a puncture I can change the wheel, but it doesn't happen much - I'm not bothering with a separate spare.

The deep-treaded snow tyres are a little more expensive, so I like to save them for best. And it's always a thrill when you get them on for the winter. snowHead
snow report
pam w, What surprised me when looking into Winter tyres was the perception of cost, the Vredesteins are actually cheaper than the standard tyre recommended for my car.
latest report
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
thanks for eveyones help

He says that as though people will stop... Shocked
ski holidays
Got the Wintrac Xtremes and one problem I never clicked to until the 5 of them went off to be fitted is that they are directional, so if you have a puncture there is a 50/50 chance you will be fitting the spare on with the tyre rotating in the wrong direction. I still stick with having the matched tyre as a spare though as even fitted backwards it will run/work at moderate speeds to get you to a fitter, and at least when you arrive at said fitter you have the matched tyre with you to be remounted instead of waiting for one to be ordered in (if the punctured tyre is cactus that is).
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
pam w, What surprised me when looking into Winter tyres was the perception of cost, the Vredesteins are actually cheaper than the standard tyre recommended for my car.

That is surprising.

And true for mine too - I just checked at the Tyremen site, and Vredestein Wintrac XL are £101, while Michelin Primacy HP (The last tyre I had that they do) are £112 per tyre. (255/55/16)
snow conditions
When I had a car with large wheels and low profile tyres I changed my winter tyres for summer tyres not because I'm rich (I'am stupendously of course rolling eyes ) but because the summer tyres were quieter and the handling of the car was better than when on the winter vredsteins.
snow conditions
alex_heney, MMMmmm are you suggesting you gleaned some useful information from a post of mine Shocked wink Its Wintrac 4 Extremes are the ones to get by the way. Do I fancy the ones you can put studs in for a laugh

Boredsurfing, Sounds like a shoite car not tyres wink Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller,
Quote:
Boredsurfing, Sounds like a shoite car not tyres

no, well known fact that we all are aware of here. I notice it straight away when I make the switch twice a year. Winter tyres are considerably noisier due to the harder compounds. Driving on them in summer is not recommended as they wear down very quickly due to the higher road temperatures. BTW, that is irrelevant as to which car, I've had a Volvo, a Renault and a Toyota and they are/were all workshop maintained. The noise levels are immediately apparent both after the changes in Autumn and in late Spring.

I asked about the need to change and everyone (workshop, tyre companies, police and insurance company) said that the tyres should be appropriate to the prevailing weather conditions. Just as winter tyres work best in the winter, the softer summer compounds are best for the higher temperatures both on the roads and the tyres in summer. It only costs us around 25 Euros maximum to switch and lots of garages have a storage option. My garage charges me 52 Euros a year for the storage of my summer tyres in winter and my winter tyres in summer. They wash, inspect and store the tyres correctly I just have to book the changeover dates.

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I answered your point already above Toofy Grin . I did research the issue over excess wear of Winter tyres on higher road temps in the summer and yes this is true if you live somewhere hot. I don't. Toofy Grin . I notice no difference in noise and as already pointed out above, my Winter tyres are actually cheaper than the non Winter tyres I could buy so excess wear is no an issue.

One of the reasons I also leave the Vredesteins on is that they are very good at handling wet roads, more of an issue for me than sun I assure you.

http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Banden_Bandtypes.asp?BandgroepID=2&BandtoepassingID=0&BandtypeID=59&PageID=1&UserSessionID=89353144

Each to the their own and have as many tyre changes as you want I am happy with what I have thanks
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

rob@rar ran his Winter Tyres all through last Summer(what there was of it)

I did, through laziness rather than any other reason. They are also the Vredstein Wintraks. Didn't notice any excessive wear on them during the summer, and in the recent snow they kept me moving in a car not particularly well suited to snowy roads.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, you're confusing the effect of compound and tread pattern. Winter tyres are traditionally noisier due to the way the tread blocks are designed to flex (and so shed snow) and the pattern is more open (to shed snow/channel water). It's not true to say winter tyres have a hard compound and summer a soft, it's no where near that simple, but if it were, it would be closer to the truth to say the opposite (certainly when compared at 0 celsius).

Modern 'performance' winter tyres claim to have stopped the noise differentials, but it's all relative, different all weather tyres have different noise characteristics. Modern winter tyres (not hard core super soft full snow tyres) also have a higher tolerence to running in warmer conditions without starting to break up, when my Wintracs are down on tread I'll run them through the UK summer to use them up, but I wouldn't like to do that if I lived in the south of Spain.

IMO, I know nothing etc blah blah blah Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 31-01-10 9:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
My sister in norway uses continental winter tyres.

Also used Nokian

cheers
bob
ski holidays
midgetbiker, I am aware of the different tread patterns. I was trying to keep things simple for the sake of those not so knowledgeable as some "experts" here. I am no expert, just a punter who hates to spend money unnecessarily.

thefatcontroller, of course you won't notice a difference if you keep them on all the time! I was just saying that the phenomena is well known in places where they regularly change between summer and winter tyres. It was your rather facetious comment about the poster's car which was wrong.

Toofy Grin
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
It was your rather facetious comment about the poster's car which was wrong. Toofy Grin

Read what I wrote and then spot the wink after what I wrote rolling eyes
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
IMO, I know nothing etc blah blah blah Smile
wink Laughing
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I am no expert, just a punter who hates to spend money unnecessarily

Then why are you suggesting people buy 2 sets of tyres unnecessarily?
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, Nankang and Sunny are both budget level tyres and most budget tyres in the UK tend to be marked M+S. Nankang aren't too terrible if you'can't afford anything else, but the Sunny's are crap. I wouldn't choose either as winter tyres if I could help it.

thefatcontroller, Yes, winter tyres will survive in the summer. If that is your argument it's the same as those saying "why bother with winter tyres, I've never have before". Once the temps get above 7-10'c (our spring temps) then your stopping distance will be greater on winter tyres than summer ones. As for cost; 2 sets bought now will cost less than one bought now and another set bought later.

adrian
snow report
agt, What is a UK Summer tyre? One that copes well in rain or sun?
ski holidays
agt wrote:
As for cost; 2 sets bought now will cost less than one bought now and another set bought later.

adrian

Puzzled Logic like that built Enron Toofy Grin
latest report
thefatcontroller, you have your views and I have mine - let's leave it at that shall we.

However I'm sure you will wish to have the last word - it's your speciality I believe! Me - I'm going skiing as the sun has decided to come out and it has stopped snowing for a while! After all isn't that why we are all here?

Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy