Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do on a holiday??

Poster: A snowHead
In five weeks time, I am going on my first ski holiday in years. I'm no stranger to the snow having worked the last seven seasons, but I have a question. What exactly do you do on a ski holiday??? Puzzled Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Breakfast.... ski... coffee.... ski.... beer... ski..... apres beers..... dinner.... beers..... bed..... pretty much sums it up for me wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apres beers includes dancing on tables whilst wearing ski boots.

Dont forget on day one to buy your lift pass.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
freestyleandy, Catered self catered or hotel, makes a huge difference wink
Which type of punter are you going to be Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnowGod, I like that idea wink

Boredsurfing, Do I have to choose a punter type before I go on the holiday, or can I choose when I arrive? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
freestyleandy, no you must make the decision before you go that if any other punters have difficulty stereotyping you you can tell them straight away... and you're not allowed to change type half way through either, just cos someone of another punter type looks to having more fun..... for that reason alone I'd go for the beer swilling ski monster type... Laughing Confused Confused
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wake up late, Ski for a few hours, Beers...Rinse and Repeat
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski, eat, drink and sleep.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ take some photos

+ go clubbing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brakfast, ski, beer, ski, pick up kids from ski school, lunch - pref outdoors under blue sky, eat and drink far too much, take kids swimming/sledging/snowball fighting, little snooze, dinner - again eating far too much, more drinks then bed. Repeat X 6. If skiing with another family/ies then skiing will reume in the afternoon with ladies/gents alternating days for skiing/childcare. Simples.

I normally book everything beforehand so no first day rush - lift passes, ski lessons, ski equipment (for best price).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you actually ski rather than walking around town trying to look like you own it and talking in a loud voice about your hi-jinks from the night before wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
-clubbing
-dancing in ski boots
-beer at lunch

+eating lunch, preferably on the lift if it's a powder day
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swap the coffee for chocolate and cram lunch in with the first beer, and SnowGod has it just about perfect.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Breakfast
Ski
Gluhwein
Ski
Lunch with beers
More skiing
Apres skiing with obligatory dancing on table
Think about getting some dinner
Some late apres ski then bed and repeat 6 times
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Breakfast
Ski (without coffe break if choice is mine)
Lunch with one glass of wine (not more than an hour, preferably less)
Ski (again without gluhwein break, if choice is mine - unless it's very cold and/or comfort break required)
Cuppa or quick bevvy or - depending on resort - raucous behaviour in bar on way back from skiing
Swim and sauna if available, otherwise a bit of stretching. If self-catering, might on occasion have to replace these with some shopping.
Ablutions - lingering over these is an important part of holiday - plus laundry
Another quick bevvy if time, If self-catering, drink while preparing supper.
Supper with wine
Scrabble, intellectual (or not) conversation, bopping, depending on mood/opportunities, accompanied by another bevvy or two.
Bed
ski holidays
6 hours skiing,12 hours apres,6 hours sleeping,repeat.
latest report
freestyleandy, Now you are a punter - revisit seven-years worth of dumb questions and see if they amuse/irritate the resort staff as much as they amused/irritated you ?
snow report
Wake, one S, breakfast, another S, ski, butty, beer, other two S's, food, beer & sleep.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, blimey, I'm jealous.
latest report
freestyleandy, there's a common theme coming out here, in case you hadn't picked up on it.... a ski holiday primarily involves skiing interspersed with eating and drinking plus a little sleep if there's time....

Have to say, I've been to quite a few hotels offering spa's and pools and stuff but I've never once availed myself of any of them so don't bother paying extra for hotels with those facilities nowadays... also the lift pass often covers entry to this and that... climbing walls, leisure centres, ice rinks etc.... but I've also never availed myself of any of those things either so maybe I should ask for a small discount on future lift passes wink ... I always feel that all these "niceties" are best reserved for summer hols.... winter is for skiing eating and drinking!

I've been extremely lucky and only ever had one ski holiday where the weather has made the mountain unskiable for a day and a half in Cormayeur.... so we sat in a restaurant all day eating fabulous local cuisine and drinking bottle after bottle of Barolo.... Laughing Laughing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Mosha Marc, blimey, I'm jealous.
Remember, the evening ones are a shower and shave. wink
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, oh, right, not so jealous then! Laughing

SnowGod, I wouldn't go looking for a swim/sauna in town - only avail myself (with huge pleasure, even though it's usually only a few lengths and 15 mins in the sauna) if they're on the premises. Agree with your use of time if weather unskiable, though again I'd try and sober up enough to have a swim if poss.
latest report
ski, have a laugh, sleep. Repeat each day.
snow report
freestyleandy wrote:
SnowGod, I like that idea wink

Boredsurfing, Do I have to choose a punter type before I go on the holiday, or can I choose when I arrive? Laughing

A guide to Billys can be found here wink
http://www.natives.co.uk/billy.htm
ski holidays
Arrive in awe at how beautiful the mountains are, and how you would defo move out here if the chance arose - just like you promised yourself last year Madeye-Smiley

Drink large amoounts of whatever is offered on first evening, wake next day slightly bleary eyed, comment on how these ski pants fitted perfectly last year (must be the damn washing machine snowHead snowHead ), organise everything for everyone in party including 7 kids inc ski hire, lift passes, lessons, piste maps, sun screen / goggles depending on prevailing weather, then finally get your ski's on about 10.30 am and - - - - - - paradise.........

Then pretty much into routines quoted by lots of others, ski/eat/drink/ski/drink/eat/.....maybe add ...... fiddle with your boot setting constantly on first day, try skiing the cruddy off piste switch, then remind yourself as to why you are NOT as proficient off piste as you would like to be.... Embarassed and sensibly get back on terra firma where you belong!!!

Next 5 days similar routine with increasing amounts of awe/dreams of becoming a seasonairre, drunkedness, tiredness, overeating etc....then miserable climb onto transfer bus wishing you could do it all again and scowling that 40cm of fresh fell last night just in time for next weeks punters Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Hope you have a great time !!!!
latest report
Breakfast. Ski. Hot Chocolate. Ski. Lunch with soft drink. Ski. Sometimes beer/gluhwein. Sauna. Dinner with beer. Sometimes more beer while chatting. Bed. Repeat 6 times.
latest report
Nothing to add really:

Breakfast - ski - lunch - ski - drink - shower - dinner - talk/read/write/scrabble/cards(pick one) - bed. All with 5 others. Repeat. Days 3-8 with guide.
The fantastic variety comes from the landscape/snow/variety of route (sometimes requiring a walk with skis on shoulders or an hour on skins to get to)
ski holidays
I once had a massage - don't ever go there, most painful thing ever - ski thighs deserve more respect and need to be left alone until the swelling goes down.
Occasional hot tubs are nice:
- dressup - goggles, hats, helments etc. in a hot tub are very amusing. Also if you wear powder masks it adds a whole other slightly dark element as they look a bit like gimp masks....
- if you're single I'm sure they are quite useful for surrepticious underwater leg flirting... Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Parkyparcours, where are these outdoor hot tubs? Ive never seen one, is that because we tend to ski in France?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Parkyparcours, where are these outdoor hot tubs? Ive never seen one, is that because we tend to ski in France?

They have them in Canada, hotel in Fernie had one and enjoyed one with a mountain view in LAke Louise.

Certainly an experience Very Happy
ski holidays
elgrego, ah, not ventured that far.
snow report
Laugh and have lots of fun Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Breakfast, kids to ski school, ski, vin chaud/Xante, ski, collect kids, lunch, ski, vin chaud/beers/xante, ski, dinner, TV/DVD's, bed
latest report
Had an outdoor hot tub in Banff the size of a small swimming pool. Very relaxing.

My daughter often drags me to the ice skating rink a couple of evenings, all you need after a hard days skiing.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 29-01-10 18:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, I'd recommend that you do if at all possible Smile

(venture that far, that is) well worth the long journey is Canada.
snow conditions
I think lots of North American resorts can do you an outside hot tub. We had one in Killington, but I don't think it made up for the drive to the slopes.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, our fave chalet in France has an outdoor hot tub.

See? Cool
ski holidays
Yeeugghhhh, nasty unhygienic things. A warm slurry of microbes.
latest report
Hurtle, "Ablutions" I love that word. Always puts me in mind of Carry On films Laughing Laughing

Shimmy Alcott, We had an outdoor hot tub at a chalet in Chamonix. Great fun - dip in the hot tub, jump out, make snow angels, jump back in. Ohhhh it stings Skullie
ski holidays
andyph, Our last chalet had one indoors, which I kinda thought defeated the oblject. Confused

Brekki
ski
lunch(usually without alcohol)
ski
possibly a drink or two
maybe tea and cake depending on accommodation
stretch (dependent on how many drinks I've had)
bath/shower
dinner
copious amounts of wine
bed
repeat
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy