Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Hmm - do you think we should reconsider and maybe go for a different option? Glassy and hard does not sound very appealing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franga, what other options do you have? If you've booked accommodation I'd stick with it. Even if the pistes are a bit icy Zermatt is a great place and at least on the Cervinia side the pistes will soften up in the sun during the day.

If you haven't booked accommodation and are flying to Geneva maybe consider Verbier. If you're flying to Zurich maybe Engelberg or Andermatt. Both of these options seem to have done much better than Zermatt for snow this year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you - unfortunately we booked our hotel earlier today. As you say, it's one of those things. Hopefully it will warm-up a bit next week. Have also heard that Cervinia snow better so we'll pop over once or twice. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow! Just arrived at 2222 metres Riffelalp Resort. 30-40 cm of snow on rooftops, bright sunshine. First time in Zermatt. Looking good so far! (via SMS)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Walter-Spitty - we arrive on Wednesday night for a long weekend. Hopefully conditions will not be as bad as most of the posts here suggest. Please let us know what the snow is like tomorrow when you're out. Enjoy!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Piste conditions v good, but a bit icy in places. Bright sunshine all day, no wind. Forecast was -9 to 1 C; it felt like -3 ish to me. Haven't been to Cervinia yet and don't know about off piste conditions. Sorry I can't respond to questions while here coz forgot my Snowheads password. (via SMS)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga wrote:
Thank you - unfortunately we booked our hotel earlier today. As you say, it's one of those things. Hopefully it will warm-up a bit next week. Have also heard that Cervinia snow better so we'll pop over once or twice. Sad

franga, It was another beatiful sunny day today.

Pistes are softening up down low in the afternoon.

The best snow is above roughly 3000 meters, with pockets of pow left.

Stick with Zermatt, because atleast you will get a tan.

Icy trails are cool. They force you to edge and make you a better rider.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks - hope you are having a great time.

Looking forward to it - you're spot on with your comment re icy runs / challenge. Have been spoilt endlessly in last few years (Whistler in December 2006 in particular). Board serviced at weekend so edges sharp as a knife.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
100% cloud coverage and light snowfall all morning so far today. (via SMS)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another sunny day yesterday from midday onwards. Clear skies again today. Excellent piste conditions. (via SMS)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scorchio again today.

Pistes getting slushy and browning up.

Light rain expected soon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quite warm in Cervinia today but snow is good enough: noisy corduroy to begin with and a fair bit of scraped hard bits later on. No sign of slush or browning as far as I saw.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a great day today - Zermatt pistes harder than Cervinia side but still very pleasant. The black from Furgg into Zermatt was a nightmare this afternoon - gondola down tomorrow I reckon ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franga wrote:
Had a great day today - Zermatt pistes harder than Cervinia side but still very pleasant. The black from Furgg into Zermatt was a nightmare this afternoon - gondola down tomorrow I reckon ...

Don't wuss out, dude.

Stick to the scraped-off grippy snow on the sides of the trail.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fantastic week in Zermatt last week. Pretty much evertything open on piste and most of the itinery runs weer skiable including the incomparable stockhorn and Trifti bumps. The snow right down to Valtournenche was superb.

Its the first time I've been to Zermatt with this much open, almost certainly due to the extent of the snow making and the consistently low temperatures.....until saturday that was when the temps shot up and saturated the snow. Still good skiing except that many of the exposed slopes were closed as the avalanches started up. By the end of the day they were triggering detonations from a helicopter. Sooner or later the temps will drop again.
latest report
Did Cervinia/Zermatt last week. Why does anyone bother with Zermatt? Crowds of Brits, poo-poo infrastructure and 3 times the price of Italy. Is it the supposed kudos attached to skiing in Switzerland? Confused
snow conditions
Mollerski, I'm more or less with you. Each to his/her own of course and Zermatt is a charming town. However I thought the skiing was substantially better on the Italian side. That may be a feature of this season's poor snow in Zermatt. I suppose to be sure I would have to go back next year but somehow I doubt if I will.
latest report
First day in Zermatt today and the snow was awesome higher up. Its pretty much snowed for 3 days solid before today so 3-4 inches of powder on the pistes, over a foot off. Unfortunately there's quite a lot of low cloud around making visibility difficult and the Klein Matterhorn has been shut due to high winds. Forecast is better for tomorrow so should be good. Slushy lower down as well so almost all taking the gondola down.
ski holidays
Quote:

Did Cervinia/Zermatt last week. Why does anyone bother with Zermatt? Crowds of Brits, poo-poo infrastructure and 3 times the price of Italy. Is it the supposed kudos attached to skiing in Switzerland?

Puzzled
Its because skiing in Zermatt is incomparable in terms of atmosphere. I find Cervinia's skiing dull, bleak and the town is rather scruffy. Cervinia can be virtually all skied in one day from Zermatt whereas from Cervinia you will only get a taste of the skiing available in Zermatt. With the fast cable cars a massive vertical is possible and the Trifti and Stockhorn bumps are peerless, with the possible exception of the White Lady, Cairngorm snowHead

As for infrastructure, surely its some of the most impressive in the world isn't it ?
latest report
If by impressive you mean huge queues for enormous boxes that cram in hundreds of souls nose to armpit because they only deign to move every 15 minutes, then yes, it's impressive. My experience is quite limited but I would definitely take the infrastructure of the Espace Killy or the 3 Valleys over Zermatt any day. Maybe the rest of the world is even worse.
snow conditions
Zermatt is superior to Cervinia.

Buzzier town. More style. More skiing. Better view of the Matterhorn.

The Zermatt lift system is gash, but has improved a lot in recent years.

Cervinia is good for food. And that is all.
snow report
Looking out my window it is heavily snowing down in resort at 1600m. Has been for a couple of hours but unfortunately the visibilty is very poor so not going to get out much today. Tomorrow however should be awesome. Sun forecasted to go with this new snow has good possibilities. Still areas of over a foot of powder if you can find it which should be added to today.

Was in Cervinia yesterday and the place was practically deserted. Skiing down to Valtournenche, went 10 minutes without seeing anyone else and once back towards Cervinia, very few people. It's quite a mission to get back over though with 5 chairlifts. Whitegold, as you say food is much cheaper. €15 for an enormous pasta and a large beer compared with CHF30 in Zermatt.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy