Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Radios...what to look for when buying?

Poster: A snowHead
Well one of my 'free with a subscrition to the Daily Mail ski mag' Binatone radios has finally given up the ghost after over 10 years of service, so I'd like to pick up a new set, and wondered if any snowheads recommend any particular models, or is there anything I should look out for?

cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I presume you mean Personal Mobile Radio at 446MHz and not just any old tranny.

I have some from Oregon Scientific (TP398PMR) that seem fairly robust but they are no longer available.

Try here:
http://www.446user.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
I presume you mean Personal Mobile Radio at 446MHz and not just any old tranny./

yes, sorry for not being clear, it's the Personal Mobile Radio I am after......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, IMHO you will find a mobile phone, quicker, clearer, more reliable and less embarrasing. If cost is a concern use txt msg's (or bluetooth if trying to find the rest of your party in a busy bar or restaurant.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, I disagree, having seen huge bills for short calls/text when away, and also you can 'talk' someone down an offpiste route with a radio, which you wouldn't do with a mobile.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, no need for huge bills most providers have an add on for euro calls txts.
If you are off piste the signals from a walkie talkie must interfere with avalanche beacons in the same way mobile's do.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, I have not seen anything to say radios give off the same interference as mobile phones, do you have a source of that info??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BTW o2 say this about my wife's phone:

If you make a call from Western Europe, we charge you for at least 30 seconds – even if you speak for just a few seconds. If you talk for longer than 30 seconds, we charge for each extra second, rounded up to the nearest penny.

For calls you make outside Western Europe, we always charge at least a minute. If you go over a minute, we charge for the extra time in 15-second chunks.

If you receive a call when you're abroad, we charge you for every second that you talk, rounded up to the nearest penny.

Then it's 11p to send a text, 35p a minute for calls "inside zone", 176p per min Calling out of Zone, then 18p Receiving a call (per min)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for mobiles over radios, why fill your pockets with radios, cameras, GPS's etc when the phone can do the lot!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
Boredsurfing, I have not seen anything to say radios give off the same interference as mobile phones, do you have a source of that info??

Nope, only the logic that mobile phone and walkie talkies both use radio frequencies.

These are the costs from T mobile
Euro 5 talk & text Booster cost £5. Make up to 17 minutes of calls, receive up to 39 minutes of calls or send up to 68 texts
Euro 10 talk & text Booster cost £10 Make up to 34 minutes of calls, receive up to 78 minutes of calls or send up to 136 texts
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, but my O2 gives me free texts, yes free, when I am abroad, and so does my sons and husbands. It works like this, you have for example, 200 texts included with your monthly allowance. If you send a text to another UK mobile whilst abroad,4 texts are removed from your monthly allowance. Only texts to mobiles from other countries, and thos over your free allowance are charged.

I bought us a set of 4 portable radios when we went to La Plagne in 2005. Decent ones too, with recharging station. As recommended by SnowHeads. Never used them since.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I bought these

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/two-way-radios/two-way-radios/motorola-t7-throat-mic

Nicely made. Works very well when used on mountain bikes.

Will be trying out on the slopes.....soon Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got a very nice pair from Lidl a year or so back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, thanks for that, I'm on O2 and, having just checked my bill, haven't been charged for any text message I've sent this season. It seems I haven't been charged for ones to Swiss phones either though. I also seem to be paying slightly less for phone calls thankitenski is, surprising as I'm on a really cheap tariff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, does O2 have a similar arrangement for calls? I've struggled (ie failed) to find an operator that offers any kind of bundle for talk time in Europe. They seem happy for me to continue paying £150-300 a month, wonder why... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
kitenski, I'm a radio user and love them. We use speaker / mic units so that the radio can stay in a pocket or pack. We use them as you say to help guide people through tricky off piste, or towards a better line. They're great when filming or taking photographs. The great advantage over a cell phone which needs to be taken out of a pocket and answered, if I need to give (or receive) a quick direction it's broadcast straight away - which is another great reason for having the handheld mic attachments.
ski holidays
Intek MT-5050's with 5W mods and sma aerials. 10 mile range in mountains min, Empty channels and voice scramblers. Couple with lapel mikes and speakers in your helmet ear flaps, a perfect solution, not much bigger than a mobile phone and dont interfere with Avy beacon when not transmitting unlike a mobile phone (though ipods and iphones are the worst offenders at that)

Cheapy units within a group and one intek with group leader so groups can chat to each other. Perfect for large groups. Intek on Low to chat to own group, on high to other groups
latest report
madmole wrote:
Intek MT-5050...

Looks cool!

http://transmission1.co.uk/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=200
ski holidays
I use Motorola TLKR T7 when on school trips to communicate with other staff and ski instructors - I have 6

Mobile phone texts when on personal holidays - each text is as stated above worth 4 texts to UK networks and as I have unlimited texted - everything totally free
ski holidays
With the Inteks, my record so far is 60 miles from a hilltop, oh and if you use 2500mAH batteries they last all week without a charge

Main advantage over mobile phone is you can use em while skiing and without taking gloves off, you can also have a conversation without worrying about cost. No rosk of dropping em while txting on the chairlift either. MY phone is for emergencies and running Satski
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy