Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Satski \ SatSports GPS Tracking - Les Arcs Problems

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone currently use this device \ system? I'm having real issues with the new unit I have while I am here in Les Arcs.

I have have many emails with suggestions and advice, but the bottom line is that I cannot get it to 'work'. I identified many weeks ago that the route planning was inaccurate in Les Arc 1800, they were going to supply an updated map. I was advised yesterday that this was ready. It has not resolved my problems.

1) Planning routes. The tracks are shown as straight lines and take little account of the pistes
2) It will not show accurately where I have skied, either on the device or the Satski application on my PC.

About the only thing I have managed to get working is that the routes\track are transferable and usable in google earth.

Am I just unfortunate?
Does it work in other French Alpine resorts?

Edited to remove duplicated text.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 28-01-10 23:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also brought it, after seeing it on The Gadget show - I'm off to Tignes / Val on Sunday, I'll let you know how I get on whilst there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
munkee, It does produces routes that are usable and accurate in Google Earth. It is the accuracy within the device and PC based application that I have problems with. The main crux for the Les Arcs area seems to be the maps they have been using. SatSki have a 'tester' in resort currently, who isn't experiencing the same issues.

As your reply arrived I was working on a reply to the MD of SatSki. He has been in correspondence with me over recent days and weeks. Most of the suggestions have been helpful but recent replies less so...

"Basically I think your frustration out of perception that GPS is Perfect Science – its not. It’s a tool which has far too many variables and requires equipment worth thousands to allow it to Come close. I think your expectations are too high "

"I sadly think that you maybe are not 100 % up to speed on what GPS really is and how accurate it is or is not. "

"I think your expectation of what a GPS that costs £ 345.00 should provide is far too high"

Within these swipes are helpful suggestions. It makes it more difficult to keep a level head when, to all intent an purposes, you are being called stupid!

I do believe that my issue arise from the SW either on my PC or that my SatSki files have not updated correctly, getting this single point across has been difficult. I am sending in the file produced but all that will confirm is that it logs where I have been, and not the device I have nor the SW I have on the PC. I'm going to wipe all SW from the PC and start again (after saving the tracks) also download again the Les Arcs ans La Plagne resort information. I hope this will resolve it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As of noon today I was still seeing issues but after doing the reload of the resort files, a short time ago, I have now seen a marked improvement. There are still the usual minor GPS drops and bloopers, but I expect that. It suggests I was using an out of date version, despite downloading it earlier this week.

These issues affected me here in Les Arcs 1800, I hope other resort areas dont have the same issues.

The struggle has taken the fun out of it. Anyone want to buy a 2nd hand SatSki?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I only paid £5.99 or something like that, as it's just an app on my google Android phone.. all was working okay, until I returned it to my pocket, once in there they was no GPS signal so the part of the app which tells you where you travelled that day and how fast you were doing is all useless.

The how to get from one place on the mountain to another proved of value, once, till I released that it's a lot easier to whip out the trusty piste map Smile lol technolgy snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
munkee, to be fair to Satski, that is down to the phone - not the application. However, I was encouraging one of my friends with an Android phone to give it a try for our trip to les arcs in a month or so...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I put my GPS phone in the top pocket of my rucksack. It doesnt blcok the signal and being high and away from me it gets great reception. Its also well away from Avy beacon on opposite side of my body
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BMF_Skier, have you still used it. Just seen it on dragons den and trying to stop myself pressing buy online!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisb, Sometimes it is necessary to catch his attention - He only jumps on here every few days from what I know/see - its worth pinging a PM that will hit his email box and drag him back to the thread.

I do know that his satski unit was the cause of much consternation in Les Arcs and of some number of emails to and from to satski. It seemed to monitor ups and downs and moved around as you would expect, but for most of the week this track did not line up (or even get close from what I saw of it) to the runs and lifts of the raster piste map it was being projected onto. It was as though the map hadn't been lined up correctly with the tie in points coordinates, or that the map used was a different projection to the one that the satellite data was based on - it showed us making tracks through the forest on many occasions that my off piste skiing skills just wouldn't bear witness to Laughing If memory serves I think some solution did help on the last day, but I wasn't wholy impressed with what I saw from a 3rd party perspective. A PM will probably elicit his more first hand enlightened view of the gadget.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shame, I used Satski on my Windows Mobile last week in Les Arcs and it worked fine as it did in Tignes 3 weeks before. Tracks and data were good. Must be the Units GPS reciever rather than the maps
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
madmole, It was\is a Satski piece of kit, not a third party GPS. The signal wasn't an issue, it was its reported position on it's own map screen. It was explained to me by the CEO that the issues I was facing was primarily down to the 'quality' of the local ski maps. That can change from resort to resort. They did have a tester in the area who reported he had no issues. What became apparent was that some resorts are so large the maps are skewed to fit and are only 'indicative' of an area. After various resets and updates it did, in Les Arcs anyway, begin to align more accurate tracks. I was, after all, needing it to show me where I was on the screen. Kids loved it as they could see where they had been in the resort. They sure covered some distance!
There were many frustrated emails pinging backward and forward It was suggested by Satski that I was expecting to much from the device ....hmmm Sad However, they were more than happy to assist with my queries.

In summary:-
It's 100% better than the previous version I have, no more random switch offs!
Providing I turned the screen brightness down (power saving) the battery lasted all day.
GPS seems to maintain a reasonable signal. Even in pockets, backpack etc. Very few, if any, loss of signal.
Is it a substitute for a Ski map? IMHO, absolutely not!
Is it a nice toy? Well yes, if a tad expensive.
chrisb, Make me an offer. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Strange as mine tracked the satski piste map pretty well considering. Although it must be said the Les Arcs piste map is crud (missing lifts and very innaccurate in places)

I assume Satski take fixes at the top and bottom of each lift and run, and distort their coordinate grid to allign the points to the map. With Les Arcs i would expect this to give a few wobbles as its such a scematic map with a lot of poetic licence. Reported distances seemed about right (wouldnt be based on map). replay was ok with accasional wanders but nothing major

Must admit the Tignes map is superb and tracked very well, but then its a much better and more realistic map than LA

Mind you the full unit is outragously expensive for what it is. The phone versions much more practical methinks

Hope you get it sorted
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMF_Skier, tempting as i am in the 3v in 2 weeks and always like a new toy, but like most 40 year old children, really should remember that toys get played lots at Christmas and then get forgotten about by 1st Jan
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy