Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on buying first skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm hoping some of you out there can help advise me.

I've been skiing for a couple of years. Started off by doing a few indoor lesson before doing a season, and then have been on two holidays since. I'm now looking to buy a pair of skis, probably second hand ones to mainly use in the UK. I'd be looking at a couple of UK weekends and possibly a week in the alps each year.

I'm a late 30s woman, 5'9'' and about 85kg. I've always skied on skis about 160cm as far back as I can remember. I tried a pair of 170cm at the start of my season, but found them too long.

It's fair to say I'm a fairly slow and cautious skier. I'm not sure I've ever carved a turn, but I'm generally able to get down most pistes if they are not too busy. I'd like to try something which will give me the confidence to go faster and improve my technique on the piste, and maybe venture off piste occasionally, but also something which is not beyond my current ability. I try to have a lesson or two each time I go away, which has helped me come on, but nerves often get the better of me.

I know that I'm probably best trying out some models before buying, but I don't really know what to try. Also, as my only skiing in the near future is going to be close to home, I'm not sure that the shops will have that much variety to try.

I'd welcome any suggestions.
thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynastar Sultan 80. I bet if you'd tried 170's at the end of your season they'd have been OK, but the 165's should be OK if you like short turns.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice.

I was also wondering if I should be looking at ladies specific skis. I think it's fair to say I have a lower centre of mass than most blokes. Do you think these would help me improve my technique?

I'm currently looking at a pair of Dynastar exclusive 8s. Are these the ladies version of the Sultan?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tbh I don't know anyhting about the female skis. I imagine they're softer though, but then the Sultan 80 has had the metal layer taken out anyway, so it's a bit like the old Legend 8000 (awesome ski) with more sidecut and softer.

I only know one person who has tried the same ski in the male and female versions (Volkl something), and she much preffered the standard 'male' ones.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I tried really hard, and had a brand new pair of very very expensive skis, I reckon I might be able to separate Mrs Monium from her K2 Burnin Luv skis. But I'm not all that sure.

Definitely a pair for the list, she does basically the same stuff you've outlined above, and they've been very very good for her.

She is a bit lighter, but if you went for the 160s you'll be bang on I think.

We found her pair at Snow and Rock in their secondhand/trade in bit, somebody obviously had to have this seasons model and traded in some 12 month old skis Smile £150 and virtually new, no scratches, marks or really any sign they'd been used at all.

If you want to or see yourself progressing to a bit more off piste, then have a look at the Lotta Luv, she tried these last night at Hemel and they basically were just a slightly wider version of the Burnin Luv she's got now - seemed to get on with them fine, more float in powder, but obviously you lose a little on the piste performance as a result.

Just ideas worth researching, but I've never heard her say a bad word about her skis since new, and she's used a fair number of other skis over several years, I think these are definitely going to be the last pair she needs for a few seasons yet.

Couldn't comment on the ladies vs mens skis thing really, but worth trying both if you possibly can - many of the skis out there have a male/female equivalent, any decent ski shop should be able to advise if you like the characteristics of X ski, the equivalent might be Y ski. All the K2s suggested above are womens skis, but there's mens alternatives to both - they've just given them tough names so boys feel all macho when they're skiing.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on your first pair of skis. I got a pair that I thought would be perfect, talked to a lot of people, and found after a week that I wanted to have something a little bit shorter and a little bit stiffer (about the only time in my life I've dreamed of that!) - luckily we were given a couple of pairs of skis a few months before and I've got on great with one of those pairs. Now however, my new skis are sat in the spare room waiting for a loving owner who wants some fairly long, fairly flexible skis, at least they are useful for lending out to others.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
janeed, Look out for a pair of Dynastar Exclusive Legend. Really good go anywhere Ladies ski. Kitty had a pair and really liked them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monium, which Snow and Rock did you go to? I don't remember seeing a second hand bit in the one I was in at the weekend (Chill factore Manchester)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
janeed wrote:
Monium, which Snow and Rock did you go to? I don't remember seeing a second hand bit in the one I was in at the weekend (Chill factore Manchester)

Not sure if they will all have them, and they don't seem to normally take trade-ins, but they ran a promo last year where people could trade in any pair of skis (literally any pair) for £75 or something. They said these had been traded in against a new pair at the time. We got ours in Hemel Snow Centre S&R.

They had a rack at the front of the store which had a few display models, couple of ex demo models, and there they were. I was genuinely a bit surprised at the price, because they looked basically new, but were last season's design. Which I prefer anyhow.

Other stores may well not have this sale rail arrangement. They will, most likely, have them as demo skis though, so you could try them out on the slope and then make a decision about whether they're for you. They may also consider towards the very end of the season an offer to buy them - the ex demo stuff does seem to go on sale, but make sure they haven't had a battering over this season, and that the bases and edges are in good shape. Not sure if all stores will do this, but always worth asking and leaving your contact details if you can wait until May.

We got ours in August, so about as out of season as it gets, which may have helped in getting a deal. I can't believe they'd been on sale for very long, as if anybody like us had come in they'd have been sold - suitable for a fairly average sized female skier and a good brand, at a good price. So worth checking regularly when you're ready to buy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
janeed, I'm the same height as you and I have 162cm skis. If you get a chance to dry demo skis at a UK indoor slope, the following are skis I've tried and enjoyed recently:

Fischer Koa 78
Rossignol Attraxion VI
Scott Maya or Rosa
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy