Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Life after Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Off for a week in first week of March with a small but very mixed group and need help as I'm bored with taking them to Courchevel 1650 every year. Myself and Mr PP - off piste, steep, mogul lovers going with my elder sister (extreme (slihgtly scary) beginner) and her 7 year old son (beginner). I keep trying to search for somewhere to keep us all occupied for a week and would love to take them somewhere charming. Def looking at Europe (and quietly wishing I was going to Cham:( ) Any ideas gratefully received Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on my (somewhat limited!) experience, I would suggest the St. Anton, Lech and Zurs area. Probably staying in Lech.
Lech should be good for everyone (ideal for the beginners) and St. Anton would suit you and Mr PP.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
magic_hat, Thanks, we had thought about that, we stayed in St A last year and really enjoyed. Just would need to find a creche for happy hour in the Mooservert and make sure there was a bus home!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could do worse than the Lech/St Anton option. Probably would want to base yourself in Lech though, St Anton doesn't have much genuine beginner terrain, so not so good unless they're 'gung ho' beginners.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boardiac, what about all the trudging to the lift for beginners though?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, My sister is the scariest of beginners. 50, unfit, completely unco-ordinated and no fear. Every year I think I'm going to have to ring her husband and ask him to order the 'copter.
Skullie
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'll probably be fine in Anton then!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Parkyparcours wrote:
boardiac, what about all the trudging to the lift for beginners though?

incentive for them to learn quicker..

Serre Chevalier covers most things bar steeps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Err, slightly curious if your sister and her son are beginners how can you be bored with taking them to Courcheval 1650 every year?

Are they going to enrol in ski school?

Layne
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Parkyparcours, put them in a really good ski school - insist on it - then go off and have fun.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Parkyparcours, Another vote here for the Arlberg. If you're used to Courchevel then Oberlech would be an ideal base as a lot of accommodation ski in ski out. I've taken my 3 kids to the Mooserwirt in 2008 and 2009 (now aged 6 9 and 12) and they loved it, so would not worry about getting babysitter for 7 year old. If you stay in any of the Oberlech hotels kids can use the creche free of charge - we never used so can't comment. Will need to get a taxi back after a certain time though
If your sister is timid then Oberlech definitely better than St Anton as a base, and arguably better than Lech as the ski down to Lech can get busy and mogully later on in the day
Can highly recommend Hotel Montana for its food, facilities, location and service - is pricey though www.oberlech.com. I would try to stay as close to the Petersboden chair/Oberlech cable car as possible. Sport Hotel Cresta is in a great location too and gets a good rep and will be cheaper than the Montana
Oh, and the 7 year will love the toboggan run down to Lech and let's face it, so will the adults wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Err, slightly curious if your sister and her son are beginners how can you be bored with taking them to Courcheval 1650 every year?

I've been two Courchevel about 12 times for lots of weekends/weeks hence the slight boredom (only slight Very Happy ) Yes I'm going to put them into ski school but we also take them out in the aftenoons so want to have a change of scene and let them see some pretty scenery.

boabski, great info. thanks. In Courchevel we did the toboggan run,. My sister and the young 'un went home. I persuaded Mr PP to stay and go round with me even though it was getting dark!!! Loved it snowHead We went over to Lech for the day so don't really know it well - we were teaching some friends on the blues.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I persuaded Mr PP to stay and go round with me even though it was getting dark!!!

The toboggan run in Lech is open till 10 pm, floodlit and much better fun at night. Even has it's own snow cannons, piste basher and banked turns. Great fun and 1.6km long. We used to let the kids do it themselves with their cousins/ friends and they would simply get the cable car back up and repeat and repeat..... whilst we had some drinks. Great parenting or what wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The toboggan run in Anton is ace too, if a little terrifying - lots of switchbacks in the forest with fairly big drops off to the side. Very carnageous if you're with 22 other people and you're all a bit wasted lol
snow report
clarky999,Have never done St antons. Did kappls this year with the proper toboggan and proceeded to fly off piste with 6 year old on with me. Thereafter fell off and watch toboggan fly off to crowd waiting at bottom of piste. The oberlech sledges with the big black dildo, ironically, are much safer
snow report
Parkyparcours, why not Chamonix? I took a group of beginner/intermediates there last year and they loved it. 1 day at Brevent/Flegere, 1 day at Le Tour/Vallorcine and a day at GM. They loved the scenery and adventure of a different hill every day. No idea for child care etc and you might want a car to make getting around easier but don't rule it out.
snow conditions
Parkyparcours, another vote for Chamonix. As bobinch, recommends, those are all great areas. Les Houches is also a good option with easy pistes for the beginners and also some great tree lined off piste if their are some decent dumps.

I can recommend www.baby-cham.com for childcare as we had a really good experience with them.
latest report
Quote:

If your sister is timid then Oberlech definitely better than St Anton as a base

But she's not timid, that's half the problem!
snow report
Cham - currently the love of my life (after Mr PP of course) - yeah I think its so beautiful so am very pleased to hear, bobinch, Touchguru, that you've taken beginners and they didn't die of fright. Been following the Geneva French vs Swiss and car hire threads as would def plan to get a car to ferry them around. I actually think the bus network is fine though and used it for a couple of weeks last year (although not in school hols). Also found a very cool network called Chamshare - all the private chalets are in a network that will negotiate on last minute places - we ended up with both weeks in a great chalet with Cold Fusion at half price. Enter your request in http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp?catlock=1 to get a really good deal!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
I have a different view of Chamonix. I stayed a week in Argentierre over a decade ago and did a long weekend, again staying in Argentierre about 8 years ago. I found the busing it around a real pain. I remember once on the last trip having to wait ages one evening after coming down from either Brevent or Flegere. And to get from one end to the other is a hell of a ride. Now all this might be worth it if the skiing was top notch. But aside from Argentierre and obv Aiguille Midi the other areas are pretty average, and can be easily equalled in linked ski in/ski out resorts. Both the aforementioned cost more money and require a guide to be made full use of. I am sure the lift system has improved but it was behind the times when I was last there. Part of the problem used to be that the town was less dependent on the skiers pound/euro/dollar because of it's year round attractions. I really don't see the attraction for most people at all.

Even though you have to bus it around the Arlberg the skiing is better overall IMO but if I was taking out beginners who were doing ski school I would take them somewhere ski in/ski out. where they have a short walk to the ski school meet up. Keep it simple and stress free.

Layne
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy