Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Segregate skiers from boarders...

Poster: A snowHead
... how's this for out-of-touch? http://www.goodskiguide.com/gsg/index.php/the-news/445-split-skiers-and-boarders

One of the UK’s leading orthopaedic surgeons, Simon Moyes, says skiers and boarders should be on different slopes.
Simon Moyes, from London’s Wellington Hospital is concerned about the

increase in snowboarder and skiers colliding on the slopes causing more severe injuries than when they fall on their own.

Moyes says there are a number of reasons for this, including the increased interest in snowboarding and more snowboarders on the slopes. Snowboarders tend to have different fall lines to skiers which means there is an increased risk of collision. Also snowboarders often come off piste on to the slope when skiers are least expecting it.

“In an ideal world skiers and snowboarders should have different slopes. However, this is not something that will happen overnight - so my advice to skiers is to be aware of snowboarders and make sure you keep your distance,” he said.

Mr Moyes also backed the GSG’s safety campaign points about carving skis.

“Carving skis have also become more popular as they make turning easier. However, when you lose control with a carving ski, this happens at a later point of the fall and you can receive a whip-like injury to the knee, which is associated to a more severe injury, producing a higher incident of knee ligament injuries.

“My advice would be have your bindings properly set, don’t ski beyond your means, make sure you are fit and don’t ski when you are tired and avoid excess alcohol.”
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, you are David Stavros Goldsmith in disguise and I claim my £1,000
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think they're right. Ski magazines should also be segregated. I've always binned the Good Ski Guide
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go one further and suggest that goofy and regular stances are assigned seperate sides of the board slopes, following a quite amusing crash between two idiots I saw last week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, oh dear.... someone whose name crops up a bit. I think he contributed to an article in fall line a year or so back?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I think this idea is crazy!

I am a boarder myself, however I hit the piste normally with large groups or both boarders and skiers each year, just be careful and be aware of the people around you. Segregation between the two diciplines is a bad idea and personally I can't ever see it happening, would be a shame if resorts did do this, and I would definately think twice before booking to such a place.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of course they won't do it, it's just some retard who can't think of anything worthwhile to write about and obviously doesn't actually ski or board
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
“My advice would be have your bindings properly set, don’t ski beyond your means, make sure you are fit and don’t ski when you are tired and avoid excess alcohol.”

If implemented verbatim, that would cut collisions at a stroke.

There'd be hardly anyone left to bump into each other.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boarders; always look over your shoulder before making heel turns, be aware that when stopping you only have one edge and if you lose it you're fecked, and don't stop/sit down in the middle of a piste and/or just beyond a lip in the piste.

Skiers; be aware of boarders making a heel turn and give them plenty of room, and don't assume you own the slopes.

easy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Even easier:

Skiers - own the pistes

Boarders - own the hotels. Until the skiers come home.

Taxi!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jon.L, there is an argument to be made that skiers do indeed own the piste, based on the fact that all ski resorts were founded and funded by skiers many years before boarding was even invented or became popular. Of course for about 10 years now boarders have been contributing significantly to the revenues of ski resorts, and are as entitled to skiers to use them as long as they buy a lift pass. My general answer to any ignorant boarder saying "we should have boarder only resorts" is "so go build one then".
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On a big mountain, it's sensible to divide it up:
- One run for skiers.
- One run for goofy boarders.
- One run for regular boarders.
- One run for near-sighted skiers.
- One run for long-sighted skiers.
- One run for bladers.
- One run for toboggans.
- One run for the over 75's.
- The rest of the mountain for anybody, riding anything, who doesn't want to put up with this ridiculous bull$hit, is aware of their surroundings and risks of snowsports, and would rather just have fun.

The first 8 runs would obviously only be 50-100 meters long and perfectly flat, anything else just wouldn't be safe.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Isn't that the same website which did the 'Russians are a bunch of animals who don't know about saunas' rubbish? What a lot of tosh.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know which is worse, him spouting, the GSG printing it, or the GSG logo on their web site
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, yes and some other gems that appear to be spoofs but actually are meant to be serious.
snow report
Anyway, isn't boarding a sport in terminal decline? Wink
snow report
Ghost Dog, yep, it's been going downhill for years
snow report
we are on a slippery slope alright... sorry
ski holidays
I suppose once you've bulldozed and groomed the mountain into indistinguishable motorway trails it wouldn't matter if you split it up. However on real mountains..... Cool
latest report
stop the brutal grooming Very Happy
snow conditions
Stop any grooming
ski holidays
I think they should be segregated by about 6 months. Toofy Grin
latest report
Comment of the season so far from boarder: "I hate skiers, they just stop really fast, and you've got no chance of stopping in time" - it was suggested that hitting someone downhill of you was pretty much always your own stupid fault, and if you couldn't leave enough space then perhaps you deserved everything you got. Comedy.
snow report
No problems on the slopes with boarders so far this year, but we tend to ski quite defensively. The usual problems with the idiots that get off the lifts and sit straight down to sort themselves out, thereby blocking the dismount area for everyone else.
How about France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and North America for skiers...and the snowboarders can have the rest?
ski holidays
Trilby, do we really have to give space over to bladers? Twisted Evil

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 29-01-10 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I think I've felt as much threat fom skiers as I have boarders, guess there are daft people engaging in either sport. It is quite amazing though the amount of boarders that do sit down in the middle of the piste Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

How about France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and North America for skiers...and the snowboarders can have the rest?

Or not, because then we'd be missing immense terrain and amazing places....
latest report
youspurs1 wrote:

No, North America is ours. Pole-fondlers don't appreciate the powder enough - my favourite quote overheard was delivered in perfect 'allo 'allo style german in Canada "you know Heinrich, zeez conditions are TERRIBLE - zere is too much powder ezzerwewhere"

Tell you what, we'll have the sloped bits and you can have all the flat bits seeing you always laud your flat-land manouvering abilities over us poor tray-sliders... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can have North America (and keep the Americans), we'll take Japan for real pow.

I think that's a French accent you are writing by the way lol.
snow conditions
clarky999, sorry, this keyboard has a cold...
Damn, forgot Japan. I suppose in true 'Risk' style you'll be occupying Australia and NewZealand too, and getting an extra 2 each turn...
At least we've got the UK - haha all the fridges are ours! Very Happy
ski holidays
No you can have OZ and NZ, but we'll take South America!
latest report
Fine, then we're taking the Uruals and as many rusting Soviet-era heli's as we can get our hands on.
latest report
clarky999, On your bike NZ is mine, all mine. But leave OZ for the snow blade team.
latest report
First we'll take Manhattan,
Then we'll take Berlin...

Then we'll pop upstate after a bit of shopping and nip down to Schladming for the races.

Tell you what. Northern hemisphere for skis, southern for snowboards. Bladers can have the equator.

latest report
Shotgun the Himalayas!
ski holidays
Monium, that 'boarder' was evidently inexperienced and a prat. The reality is you simply need to be aware of all around (as you would be when driving a car) and be cogniscent of the different slope sliding styles.
snow report
I nearly got caught out whne skiing in a party with a tame boarder.

Boarder turns left, no problem, I ski down a bit and boarder turns right. I realise that boarder can't actually see me from that angle, skid\stop.

Could we fit boarders with rear view mirrors ?
latest report
Could we fit skiers with common sense ? Toofy Grin

I come up behind a skier , and I'm generalyy cognoscenti he / shf can't see me and take appropriate precautions ( ie make extra space) ...
snow conditions
I thought it was the uphill persons responsibility to avoid the downhill one whatever they,re riding on. If they can't do that then they're going too fast. No excuses.
latest report
Richie_S, you sound proud of the fact that you pay attention to people down the hill from you. When you're driving a car are you equally proud of yourself for paying attention to traffic lights?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy