Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you have to ask?

Poster: A snowHead
Then you should be prepared to wear your skiboots & helmet onto the plane. Otherwise just stick em in your hold luggage...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would suggest that the days of wearing ski boots on board are long gone.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
frank4short, I must, I must.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow, Why?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
elf & safety?

metal in shoes?

can't see the security folk letting you clip clop to the plane.

snowboard boots I would suspect are fine
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A ski boot can make a very effective weapon. End of.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 28-01-10 12:04; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had to admire the nerve of a couple walking up to the door of the plane in Bristol at the weekend with hand luggage and a pair of loosely carried ski boots each.

Their outraged faces when they were told they couldn't take them on board (not even if they wore them) was priceless.

The world would be a much better place if everyone read Snowheads (albeit a weird world)...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martski, remind me to never fly out of Bristol, their security seems to have that West-country-laid-back-hammered-on-cider quality about it which, while a great thing in normal cases, doesn't seem applicable to airport security.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow, Dr John, If it were security, then the days of carrying them in hand luggage would also be "long gone". Wearing them is no different AFAICS.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John wrote:
martski, remind me to never fly out of Bristol, their security seems to have that West-country-laid-back-hammered-on-cider quality about it which, while a great thing in normal cases, doesn't seem applicable to airport security.

Agreed.

They actually let us fly with my wife carrying a pair of full size metal knitting needles in hand luggage in September 2007.

We asked at check in, where they weren't sure, so phoned security, who said yes.

When we then appeared at the security screening area with them, they weren't going to let us through until we mentioned that the check in people had phoned through to OK it. They then had a little discussion, looked at us, and obviously decided we didn't look dangerous, so let us through. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frank4short, in fairness to the accused, I now know I'm OK to stick me boots in my carry on in a couple of weeks. Something I've never done before.

It also means I'll be well under my main bag allowance; so I'll probably look to take two pairs of skis instead of one.

If you don't ask, you don't get. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney wrote:
Mike Pow, Dr John, If it were security, then the days of carrying them in hand luggage would also be "long gone". Wearing them is no different AFAICS.

I've been stopped at the Heathrow check-in desk from taking ski boots in a bag as carry-on.

That is why I no longer fly in or out of Heathrow with ski gear.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, which airline?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, unlucky, I've never been prevented, either in hand baggage or wearing them. BA, SAS and Swiss. Last used LHR Dec 2008 (BA), Mar 2009 (SAS).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BA and Luftansa
ski holidays
A couple in front of us, at Gatwick to Toulouse two weeks ago, had to re-arrange all their hand luggage at check-in. They were told that a pair of ski boots in hand luggage was too heavy and so had to take one boot each and re-distribute the rest of their combined stuff. Apperently they were already maxed out on the hold allowance and pushing the limits of the carry on one.

How we smiled... Very Happy You couldn't make this stuff up!

snowHead

edit for atrocious spelling

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 29-01-10 16:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Dr John wrote:
A ski boot can make a very effective weapon. End of.

And a litre of spirits or the many other things you can buy in duty free whislt air side having gone through security don't make an equally effective weapon ?

Come to think of it, my hands make a very effective weapon if I roll them into a ball and whack someone across the nose, perhaps security would like me to stop taking those through as well ?

Security is a farce of contradictions these days. We had our toddlers safety knife (read deliberalely short and blunt) confiscated by the half wits at Gatwik last year. Yet on the way home we were allowed through with the first aid kit contianign syringes and scissors.

You absolutely should be able to take boots in your hand luggage if you can fit them in the required weight/dimensions for your airline. My wife and I do it virtually every trip. We don't use boot bags though, we pack them in a ruck sack in a "69" position, with the socks and other bits stuffed inside them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy