Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What drives your choice of resort accommodation?

Poster: A snowHead
SnowGod wrote:
What drives your choice of resort accommodation?

Usually my chauffeur, but if I'm in the resort I'll ask a local driver. The blokes who drive piste-bashing machines are quite knowledgeable.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION (provided costs is within my budget)

don't really care about anyhting else as long as trip advisor reviews are not horrific. 5 mns max to the lift and no riding buses carrying my skis literally changes the holiday experience for me!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have tried most options over the years.

Sometimes resort choice may limit options.

I would prefer not to self cater. I am on holiday and I am a lazy sod. I do not like cramped conditions or sofas that become beds.

I would prefer not to do catered chalets. I can afford a bit more now.

I have done repeat trips and trips based on recommendations. I would prefer a reasonable Swiss or Austrian hotel with a good restaurant and a swimming pool.

I have used American motels but ate out rather attempted to do any cooking.

I have used lodges provided by the French PTT for their staff. They were great. Very good and very generous scoff( draft wine from a tap in some of them). Great crack for big groups in lesser known resorts.

I have never kipped in a winter-proofed Winnebago but would be interested to try just for a couple of nights out of curiosity.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have never been in ski youth hostels. They may be good for schools and youngsters on a budget and the teachers volunteers that look after them.

Any adult staying in a youth hostel but not in charge of youngsters is one of life's cheapskates. If they are blokes they probably have beards.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Prefer centre of village rather than ski in/out. I'd rather not be marooned slope-side in the evening and I don't mind hopping on a bus or a bit of a walk to the lifts.

Not into self-catering on a skiing holiday - too knackered / can't be bothered.

Like a hotel with a nice bar with like-minded peeps.

To contradict most of the above, had a great time in friends' isolated cabin in Tahoe last year. The wife (that is our hostess, not Mrs L) doesn't ski and did the catering.

Prefer a bit of space, but have stayed in smallish rooms too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Proximity to the piste and ease of delivering and collecting kids from the ski school, followed closely by cost. Proximity to facilities/shops for self catering is advantageous, though not essential if known about in advance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Any adult staying in a youth hostel but not in charge of youngsters is one of life's cheapskates. If they are blokes they probably have beards.

Or maybe they are real men, who's priority is to ski rather than be pampered. If staying in poo-poo accomodation means you get an extra week or two in the snow, why not?!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowforever wrote:
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION (provided costs is within my budget)

don't really care about anyhting else as long as trip advisor reviews are not horrific. 5 mns max to the lift and no riding buses carrying my skis literally changes the holiday experience for me!

Absolutely mate. Unless it's so unhygeinic as to pose a genuine health risk, there's nothing that matters. A choice between a total dive in the middle of a resort and comfort and luxury on the outskirts is no choice at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, I (probably wrongly) use the term hotel to mean accommodation. I usually holiday in North America and find that hotels = SC = room with a bed and no cooking facilities.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
v1cky24, fair enough. I would assume SC to mean self-catering, so an apartment or condo with cooking facilities. A hotel room without board is 'room only' perhaps?

Does it mean you have to eat out every night? That must get rather pricey.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Does it mean you have to eat out every night? That must get rather pricey.

queen bodecia, not Always, many of the hotels offer buffet breakfast and eating out is very reasonable in NA, along with the cheap hotels. With the quantity of food available you rarely need to eat much on the hill Smile So we have found anyway. This can bring down the cost.

As mentioned in another thread we will probably spend tops just over 1K each per week in Utah this year doing DIY and hiring a 4x4 and travelling around Toofy Grin

You can also get many rooms with some basic cooking facilities, there are also plenty of very reasonable B+Bs giving that personal touch.

Having holidayed in NA for the past 7 or 8 years this is probably going to be the most expensive due to the exchange rate Sad and the location we are heading to.

We did Whistler for just over 1K each per TWO weeks including lift passes in '07. In 4* catered, fantastic room four course meals with champers, wine etc. Madeye-Smiley By booking early, rather than late. We paid less than people who booked last minute Shocked

To answer the OP accommodation is driven by many factors - resort, cost, type of holiday, etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, Self catering to me means eating out Very Happy I can honestly say on every holiday I have been on I have never cooked a meal in an apartment.

It can be expensive. We spent £700 pretty much on food and drink only in Panorama in one week. It's like anything else though, it can be as cheap as you want to make it. We could have had $14 pizzas every night for dinner and saved a bit.

TBH - I would look into buying things at the supermarket and staying in if I had to cut down on the cost.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
v1cky24, fair enough. I always go catered as it works out cheaper than eating out. The idea of self-catering doesn't appeal to me, I like to be waited on holiday and avoid all domestic chores.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, I would love to go to a catered chalet. I'm desperate to go. My OH has other ideas sadly.

He has severe issues with food to the extent that it affects where we are able to travel. If he thought he wouldn't be able to get a plain steak and chips we wouldn't be able to go. He eats only plain meat (i.e. no sauce) potatoes (and only if they are chips/mash - he won't entertain them if they have anything on them) cheese (and only certain ones) and bread (and onlythe white kind). He will not entertain any other food and will have a tantrum if his dinner has been contaminated with any kind of salad or vegetables. I seen him throw a wobbly on holiday because they only had a multigrain bagel! Honestly.

I am considering a divorce... Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
v1cky24, he'll be fine in france then, everywhere does Steak Frites.
snow conditions
v1cky24 wrote:
I am considering a divorce... Laughing

v1cky24, sounds like he'll die from scurvy soon so save yourself the lawyers' fees wink
snow report
v1cky24, Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
v1cky24, he barely sounds adult! Shocked
snow conditions
As I go to a "ski resort" to ski, I do not give a s**t about accomodation. Snow, slopes, lifts, backcountry are priority.
Campsites open in winter are good as they tend to give you access to a collection of resorts as opposed to only one or two. Otherwise guesthouses, last minute studios, hostels...
ski holidays
For the most part, it's "all of the above". Every item has its "value". So ultimately, it's the price-to-value ratio that "drives" where I stay.

I have very few limitations that would exclude any kind of establishment. Some trips I pay more to stay at a posh place and be waited on. Other trips I stay at a bare bone place and get away with paying very little. As long as the place is clean & quiet, I'm all set. Whether it's slope-side or a bus ride or even a 1/2 hr drive are all tolerable to me, as long as its price is right. While I slightly prefer to not go out to eat, I'm not into cooking. So, half-board is somewhat favored, though not required.
ski holidays
Stayed (for the 1st time) with Mark Warner in Tignes last week, cost was £620 for a single room. I was VERY impressed with the whole set up

Bags taken to your room whilst you have drinks and cake on arrival, same on departure just leave bags outside room on departure night.

Ski Hosting, very good and last week only 4 or 5 to each group every day

Meals, excellent would have been happy to pay for them in a restaurant

Wine free flowing during meal and pallatable, not the cheap caraffe stuff

Staff, they must have a very selective process, which starts from the Manager down.

Only time I have ever stopped anywhere and was very happy to tip everyone (ski host, dining room and room maid ) they deserved every cent.

Not saying I will never go with anyone else, but for the money I paid £620 (this was brochure price, not last minute bargain) this is at the high end of what can be considered budget and the whole experience was anything but budget.

Mark Warner hats off to you, probably £50 more than TUI comparitive, but worth every penny and then some.

Well Done, I am a MW convert if booking a package.

Crystal in 4 weeks Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
He may well die of scurvy/malnutrition.

It drives me bonkers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy