Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jump Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hey, so i dont know wheather or not any 1 has any experience of hitting big kickers on skiis but i have a question...

last year in soll i found a love of kickers starting off on the smaller ones and by the end of the week i was hitting probably jumps with a kicker maybe 3.5 ft and say 2.5meter gap (sorry this is the only way i can explain it.)
next to this kicker there was 1 about 6-7 ft high.

i begun thinking to myself id love to try it but how the hell do you go about hitting something that big. i mean its not like you can have a practice go, its all or nothing.

any 1 have any experience in this care to share some advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start with less speed and build up. My seven year old goes for the big jumps (c.7-8ft) in the snow park. His learning technique is all about speed control on the entry and then enough lean forward to ensure a straight landing. I have started to follow him over the jumps now and have learnt, through bitter experience, that it is important to keep the upper body vertical as well.

Sometimes his speed isn't high enough and he doesn't make it to the top but that is better than a ballistic missile take off!

I am sure an expert will be along soon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about learning on an Airbag? - I think MK Snowdome borrows one from time to time
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not a good idea on big jumps to start at a low speed and build up. Once the kicker gets 6ft+ high, you'll be looking at clearing a table of 25ft and longer to get to the knuckle, and beyond that you reach the downslope of the landing. If you're too slow, you're going to land on the flat, or the knuckle, and it'll hurt.

You need to watch someone to see where they're starting their run in. (assuming they're clearing the flat and reaching the landing) Start from the same point as they do, and just hit it. There's no other way to do it really, you just need to man up and not scrub off any speed on your run in.

It'll look scary once you reach the kicker and the lip is higher than eye level but you need to keep going, keep your weight centred, arms forward, pop off the lip and suck your legs in. Spot the landing, and stay still in the air. Once you've hit it once, and got your speed right, you'll be fine, but the first time is the hardest.

Hitting an airbag is good for getting a feel for the time in the air, but you don't get a feel for the speed you need to hit a bigger jump - because if you land short, you still have a soft landing in the airbag.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah, i mean sort of chest hight kickers im fine with, flat landing one of those is not too bad, then u get the idea of the speed your gonna need to hit the landing. as a youth i rode bmx jumps all the time, however skiing jumps seem to be so much bigger,i just bottle out when the kicker is bigger than me.

well im off in a week so ill report back when ive broke both my legs and ended up in a mangled heap, nose diving into the landing.

that reminds me... i must sort out that insurance.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bookham_mat wrote:

well im off in a week so ill report back when ive broke both my legs and ended up in a mangled heap, nose diving into the landing.

that reminds me... i must sort out that insurance.

Does the lack of update suggest bad things have happened to him?

Hope not!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
russ_e wrote:
What about learning on an Airbag? - I think MK Snowdome borrows one from time to time

the Parc in La Plagne has an airbag open to all
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IMT, er possibly http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1477845&highlight=#1477845
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, Laughing
Somedays you stick the landing, somedays the landing sticks you, get well soon bookham_mat.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bookham_mat, apart from a good pop speed is your friend when hitting something bigger, like spend some time looking at the other guys in the park and see what kind of run up they are taking to it like MagSeven, says, and get those hands forward
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One run stopping on the lip to get the speed sussed, one straight air to get the feel for the jump, then go for whatever you want to do. Not that I do anything in the park lol, kickers scare the crap out of me for some reason, much more than a straight drop forma lip/cliff.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swirly, Oh dear! Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy