Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski theft is not just a disaster

Poster: A snowHead
Monium wrote:
I'm not sure exactly how it happens, because surely then someone has to ski down the mountain with a pair of skis over their shoulder?

Doesn't someone ask these people where they got the spare set?

A friend and I skied across half the Dolomites on Friday last week each with an extra pair of skis over our shoulders. No-one asked us why we had a second pair, and most of the lifties even made sure we had plenty of room on the chairlifts by keeping some seats empty.

[The reason we had two pairs each was that another of our party was injured, so was being taken to hospital, together with a friend for company/translation.]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personal best is skiing down from the Deux Alpes glacier on one pair of skis (obviously) then taking the gondola with two more pairs strapped into a backpack and a fourth in my spare hand. Ski tests eh... wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
only time I heard of people getting kit nicked last season was when they'd left it for 20 minutes at the 'base' and it was a peak peak week (New year?) Word on the street was that a gang was going around various tarentaise resorts doing some robbing. Disappear outside restaurants is down to cluelessness or drunkeness mostly.

The super thin retractable cable locks are hopelesss - a mate couldn't get his open and we were through it one second with a leatherman type tool.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, when my board went walkies at the Medran lift base in Verbier a few seasons ago (mid Dec) I popped in to the tourist office for some advice and the lady said 'oh no, not again this season' .... so it seems that it might happen a bit at busy base lift stations
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a pair of brand new rental skis stolen from the ski room in the Moris in Val d'Isere. Thought initially that had been taken by mistake so hired another pair. By thta evening as they hadnt been returned it was clear they had been stolen. Next evening reported to the police who said I needed a letter from the hire shop, went and got 1 back to the cop shop who very reluctantly gave me a crime report.
However as I had reported the theft more than 24 hours after discovering they had gone the insurance company refused to pay! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More likely by base stations as the toe rags don't have to fork out for a lift pass. Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We split the skis and lock them up usually if we cannot sit in view of them. Mind you I once sat by a ski rack and didn't notice someone pinching a ski pole belonging to one of our party!

On the back pack issue. I always take mine off on a chairlift after an incident when I was wearing my backpack and one of the waist belt buckles got caught without me knowing about it. I tried to get off the chair and was pulled back but couldn't work out why. I tried again with more gusto but this time I slipped and ended up being dragged along under the chair as it turned around. It all happened very fast and I couldn't do anything about it. Thankfully the rather distracted Italian liftie finally heard my shouts and stopped the lift in time. Very embarrassing but really quite scary. I always carry it now... as its not a performance I want to repeat!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1147833&highlight=kryptonite#1147833

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1432159&highlight=kryptonite#1432159

The Kryptonite one that I found and that is referenced in these treads - partic. the 2nd one seems quite good. We've been using these for the last couple of years. The 4 way Motrax ones are hopeless, the mechanism is so dire inside that it can't be as strong as melted chocolate. I took delivery of two in succession and they fell apart in my hands.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

p.s. I can assure you that in my experience the police are less than enthusiastic to treat it as a serious crime.

I beg to differ - When I had skis nicked from a locked hotel locker room in Austria, the police decided I looked suspicious and insisted on searching my hotel bedroom! Shocked (the good news is that the hotel's insurance paid in full)

The second set of skis that I had nicked (outside a cafe) were brand spanking new Sad so now I ensure that I do everything I can to make skis look beat up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cp1000 wrote:
The second set of skis that I had nicked (outside a cafe) were brand spanking new Sad so now I ensure that I do everything I can to make skis look beat up.

How do you do that then?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No great imagination - I painted them, stickered them and wrote on them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was it Italy a few weeks ago, left my Decathalon €15gloves sitting atop my ski poles. Gloves stolen, Jesus there are some desperate people out there , stealing gloves !

While the gloves cost the price of 3/4 pints , the hassle, had to ski down a couple of icy pistes with no no gloves, if u fall badly scratched hands. Hassle of having to look around for ski gloves that evening.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kendub, 2 weeks ago in morillon, left my hestra gloves on the loo cistern in the loos next to the picnic room, sat in said picnic room for 5 to 10 mins, then realised. They were gone....had to go to the intersport to buy some more before skiing back as it was really cold. My own silly fault.........

Then discovered on loading car up at the end of the week someone had nicked the rubber strips off the roof bars! and they are quite difficult to get off.

It just sad really....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 14-02-10 23:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
in 12 years going to different austrian resorts i have never heard of anyone having skis stolen. have only seen skis locked 2 times total. is the problem worse in france than eg austria?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

is the problem worse in france than eg austria?

Yes.

There is even talk of certain rental operations stealing back their own skis, charging the poor punter a daft amount for them and then bringing the skis back into the hire stock after the punter has gone home.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, relavent though, my answer to not getting skis nicked is not to stop and waste precious time eating and drinking in mountain resturants. Take a small back pack (mine btw is a tesco hydration pack and I ripped all the guts out of it, perfect just big enough to take a mini thermos, hat, choc, bits n bobs) with a bit if baggette snaffled at breakfast table snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

mine btw is a tesco hydration pack and I ripped all the guts out of it

Think I'd rather have my skis nicked
snow report
Bode Swiller, Do I detect a sn*b? you know, every little helps! or are you squemish?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I'm sure it's possible to buy something exactly the same but with a word other than 'Tesco' written on it. You'll probably have to pay more for the word than the backpack though.
latest report
hmm, my k2's have bindings that come off with one 90' screw turn, could take my bindings off faster than i could lock them. Might have to look into doing it this year.
snow conditions
Not a method to reduce the act of theft, but perhaps to reduce the risk of theft may be to have your skis or board coded or microchipped (some sort of RFID device) with a unique identity that says they are yours; these codes are can be held centrally and propogated to all the electronic barriers at resort ski lifts, so that if a pair of skis or a board that has been stolen and reported goes through a barrier at a charilift an alarm is sounded.

No? I'll get my coat.

Nick
snow report
youngeratheart, Lizzard, yes, I ski around with a Waitrose carrier bag.
snow report
droo wrote:
I didn't realise it was this bad at ski resorts!

I have just come back from Sweden and never saw a lock on any ski's? People left bags and boots in warm room shelves too.

I figured ski resorts were full of like minded people! I guess i'm in for a shock next year if i go to France or Austria???

Ah, isn't Scandinavia lovely. At most of the local hills around here we just step out of our bindings, plant our poles and go for a bite/drink/slash. At the bigger resorts we might actually stand them up in a rack, just due to sheer numbers. But I've never seen a lock, except on the ski racks that have coin locks, and nobody ever uses them.

I have heard of exactly one pair of skis get stolen (skis unattended for a *long* time while the owner attended to his son's broken leg), and possibly a pair of poles (circumstances unclear).
snow report
Quote:

stealing back their own skis, charging the poor punter a daft amount for them

They'll even state the value is 50% of the full replacement cost, but in reality is so inflated that it's closer to the full retail price, not half the trade cost ex VAT.
snow report
I have a cheap and crappy ski lock, but I use it to stop the accidental taking rather than the deliberate theft.

I also leave my ski helmet on top of the skis and wrap the skis together with a velcro strap. You would have to be a real muppet to take them by mistake!

Accept they could be stolen but while I like them, they are 5 year old K2s so I doubt high on anyone's must have list
snow conditions
I have to admit that years ago I downloaded in a gondola in Auffach in Austria with 'my' skis safely with me.

I think I waited at the bottom for OH to catch up with me having skied down - he told me that there was a very irate daughter then waiting up at the top of the gondola, with my skis, as I had taken hers. So I hadn't actually stolen a strangers, just removed some that looked a bit familiar, and as her feet are just a bit bigger than mine she could not get into my bindings.. I have not been allowed to forget it.

After mine were removed from a gondola last year - I did get them back about 48 hours later from a ski hire shop as hired ones had been left in their place - I have put my initials fairly prominently on the fronts of them and also my mobile phone number down the side.
latest report
Just back from Tremblant in Canada. I didn't see one lock on the racks and my Canadian friends found it strange when I suggested splitting skis as it had never occurred to them that skis could be stolen. There were pairs of top brand skis everywhere including by the car parks. It was heartening.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I was right then NehNeh Actually it just has some random logo. Even I wouldn't wear it if it said Tesco on it. Mind you if it did say Tesco on it and I hung it on my skis no-one would nick them then.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
youngeratheart, Lizzard, yes, I ski around with a Waitrose carrier bag.

Get you. I note it wasn't from Lidl or Aldi rolling eyes
ski holidays
I just leave the waist-strap done up and sling the pack around to the front - takes 2 or 3 seconds.

Ed: Oops, that was a response to the end of the first page (backpaks)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 16-02-10 21:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
IMO It's a shame more places don't have racks that take Ski Keys http://www.skikey.com/ - they're small to carry, quick to lock and I always feel pretty comfortable leaving my precious skis in them. But I only ended up with mine because I've done a fair few weeks in Whistler where the racks that take them are commonplace.

Compare this with last week in Kitzbuhel when (with brand new skis) I spent five minutes each time I stopped battling with a somewhat disagreeable cable lock. (I felt a bit silly as I never saw any other skis locked, but I secured mine religiously.)
snow conditions
I wonder if Freya Whatsit got a decent (or any) sum back from her insurance.
Some insurers used to specify you had to lock them.
snow report
Quote:

It's not just ski's that get confused.

Last year my buffoon of a mate

Hmm, have to confess when I was a beginner I waltzed off with the chalet girl's skis and she couldn't go skiing. I couldn't understand why I needed to get my bindings adjusted and why I was suddenly skiing so fast. She was 6'1", I'm 5'2" Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
I have used one of the basic combination locks for a while.

I've just upgraded to one of these:

The cable is much thicker and the lock itself way more secure than the basic combination locks. It will stop casual thieves who have lightweight snips, but obviously not more heavy duty cable cutters.

I paid around £20 from Facewest. Which is what I paid for my Kryptonite combination lock at Val Thorens.
ski holidays
Having bought a new pair of K2s this year (which are now out of stock everywhere) I decided to go for a lock. Thought about going for something beefier but in the end just went for a 10 quid ebay effort. I reckon it gives me piece of mind that firstly someone will have to have a (admitedly small) wirecutter to steal them, an that given that so few others lock there skis its probably more hassle than its worth (and runs the risk of someone noticing them). Just as importantly I am assuming that my skis will then be covered by insurance should they then get stolen!
snow conditions
tillywhim, this has just been posted on TGR...

Quote:
Tremblant Stolen Skis!!
Hey guys, I got my Elan Pogo stick skis stolen from Tremblant last weekend. They were mounted with Marker Dukes, size small. I have attached a photo of what the skis looked like. Idenitfying features are one large core shot in the base, along with a smaller one near the edge.

48 decent quality beers to anyone who helps me get them back! I am a student, and really can't afford to replace these. Thanks in advance guys.

(And if anyone was wondering, I am from Western Canada, and do indeed use my Dukes for touring! I can only afford one pair, so these came to school with me.)
snow report
http://www.skikey.com
Guess having ski racks where you wont lose your skis or have to carry a hefty lock is too much like customer service for most European resorts?
snow report
Bikeandsnow, That's a proper lock. Looks up to the job.
ski holidays
Bikeandsnow, ditto wot bar shaker said. I've just ordered one to protect my new Zeniths! Thanks for the link Laughing
ski holidays
Yeah, and it says DaKine on the bag, so it must be super gnarly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy