Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere 17th - 24th Jan 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well,

Yesterday (Sunday) I returned from Club Med Sestriere.

The day we got there, it had been snowing, and there had been lots of snow in the week or two running up to the holiday.

This is the last year that Club Med are doing Sestriere (apparently they are hoping to sell it to make money to open two hotels in China).

The Snow was lovely and well covered in most places, unfortunately there was one red run which runs from the top of the gondola to the resort valley which was dodgy in some places with some rocks showing through and it was too thin on the ground that the instructors would not take people down even to the mid station but (though it could have been done just off-piste). The bottom half though, wasn't even groomed, so I guess it needs more snow there.

I was in group 4 out of 6, in terms of ski school class level and I was somewhat astonished at the way the Italian instructors pushing the importance of the whole "Pole Plant" technique, but it makes sense. (France, Austria and Swiss don't seem to focus on it much).

Every day was a blue sky day with one exception where the clouds started to come in, we thought it might snow that night, but unfortunately it didn't.

Whilst we were there, the World Cup for Paralympic skiiers was taking place and when watching Ski Sunday last night, it was nice to hear that a GB man won the men's event (wooo!)

I was able to use my Prophet 90s all week and loved them. Admittedly their turning arc is probably a little larger than normal piste skis, but they handled the piste very well. Because it was about -5 most days and the off piste stuff was a bit crusty and icy, it wasn't the best time to try the off piste and I was skiing with my Fiancee and sister and her BF a couple of the days so did some easier slopes.

The prophet 90s were nice in the snow park, and although I only had the guts to do the small jumps, they held nicely there. I managed to use the twin tips a bit for learning to skiing switch a bit on the shallow slopes and build confidence there, but not with much style.

I have to say that there were some lovely runs down to Sauze d'Oulx. It's nicer than Sestriere I think and even though Sestriere was very quiet indeed, (except for Saturday where the rude Italian skiiers come out to play), Sauze d'Oulx was even quieter and lovelier.

Food was good of course, and there was never a short supply of Pizza and Pasta!

If you're looking for a nice quiet (uncrowded) place to go skiing, try this area of Italy in Jan and I don't think you could go far wrong!

Hopefully it will snow for them this week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr.Si wrote:
This is the last year that Club Med are doing Sestriere (apparently they are hoping to sell it to make money to open two hotels in China).

Well, I hope not as I've just booked it for next January Shocked . Did you have the ski lessons and if so what were they like?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh!

Maybe they're changing hotel... Puzzled

The lessons were alright - they have a thing about Pole Planting do the Italian Ski School. They use the equivalent of the ESF in France. Good instructors mainly.
A few of us were in the same class and our instructor was called Ezio - he was good and we got to see a lot of the otherside of the Mountain Range too.

Hope you havea good holiday there!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Club Med Sestriere last year and I tried to book it a couple of weeks ago and it all seemed to be OK to do it online.

Now you can't.

Presumably that means its sold.

Any ideas anyone? It was great value at around £1,600 for two of us for all-in.

Anywhere similar - high in the alps, all-in - I can get for a similar kind of price this year?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
patrickwilliamfletch, I think maggi, above has had her trip cancelled. Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy