Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Retrain me please :-)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

New to this forum so hi!

I am looking for some advise about carvers and basically what has happened with skis over the past 6 years......
I am 33 (almost 34 sniff sniff) and have skied quite a bit since I was 3.....averaging 3 or so weeks per year.....love
all things skiing and would consider myself at a intermediate to advanced level.....however I have not been skiing since
2005 Shocked due to having babies......I am determined that I will be going skiing this year (kids too Very Happy ) and I find myself
very out of date on the equipment technology - my own skis bought 8/9 years ago were straight and are 195s - I am wondering
what length skis I would need now.....I am 5ft 7inches and just under 9 stone......any advise??

Thinking I might get a private lesson at the start to show me how skiing techniques have changed too - good idea?

Thank you so much in advance Blush

Lizzie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Even 8 years ago I think 195s would be too long. Start step by step dont spend all your money at once. First buy some boots in the UK - take your time. Choose fit first style second, make sure they are very snug cause they will get looser. Go for rentals to start with and get an idea of whats out there. Read some reviews and defo take some lessons, and watch DVDs. Instructors can be both good and bad get the best out of the experience. Have fun..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Lizzie welcome to snowHead ,s

First off dump your 195's and invest in some Ladies carvers with a length of about 150. Thinking about it, no don't dump them (just pay for one way carriage) try some 150 carvers for a day, then try the old planks, then dump them, just leave them in the locker room, someone will pick them up. But don't bring them home, you'll be lucky to get 99p for them on ebay. Just my opinion, someone will be along shortly to contradict this.

If you could ski on 195's at 5'7", you must have been a pretty good skier back in the day. You will find it so much easier skiing on modern carvers and trust Me You will enjoy so much more.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-01-10 1:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimore wrote:
Hi,

Even 8 years ago I think 195s would be too long. .

That's what I thought, but Lizzie might have been a downhill racer for all we know. Were You Lizzie if not the 195's even then would have been more suited to Male of about 5'10"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Which reminds Me, my Parents were having a loft clear out a couple of years ago.

There they were My old K2 610 Comp with Salomon 727 binding's , Circa 1979, co-incidentally 195's. But I was a fit 16 year old at 5'10". I took these up to Rossendale a my oldest who thinks He is a ski god had a play on them Laughing Laughing Enough said I wish I had room to store them for old time sakes, but sadly they ended up in the skip.

They were the coolest Cool ski's on the school trip though and My Dad had a Capri Ghia at the time Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They make good sledge runners Laughing Welcome to the forum Busylizzie.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa wrote:
They make good sledge runners Laughing Welcome to the forum Busylizzie.

Never thought of that the K2's would have made an awesome sledge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to have 195 straight skis too, but considerably longer ago than 8 years (more like 18 years!). My next pair of skis were about 5/6 years ago and these were 174, now I have 162. Getting shorter all the time!

But I am taller and heavier than you! Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
150 is a bit wee for 5'7, that's my height although I'm just over 9 stone not under. I'd be looking around the 160 length but definitely hire some first and see how you get on with them, then you can always change the length. A lesson at the start sounds an excellent plan.

And welcome to snowHeads Busylizzie! I am sure you'll soon be back in the swing of skiing snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for all the replies - what a friendly forum Razz

Kel - I did race but only at schools champs level Blush Now I would be happy cruising around
in fair weather and think I might be teaching my little ones for a fair proportion of the day
- here is me teaching my son a couple of weeks ago in kent.....see the length of those skis! Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/gayUuU52L3s

I was probably mis-sold them in the first place but I enjoyed skiing on them Madeye-Smiley Good idea about
using them a sledge runners! We have tons of ancient skis in my parent's loft......lets hope for more
snow!

So....I am looking at something between 150-162? blimey those will feel really weird to carry around
but hopefully lighter!

Where is everyone going/been skiing this season?

Lizzie
x
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Busylizzie, welcome to snowheads. Agree with all above, including cathy's suggestion of nearer 160, given what you are used to (and that you are used to going fast).

But definitely hire initially, play with some different skis and definitely, absolutely, have a lesson. Or 6. Enquire here about instructors - plenty around, and you might think about going to one of the snowdomes initially.

I had a friend of about your dimensions come out here last year with straight 195 skis but she's 63 and she bought them hugely more than 8 years ago. 8 years ago I bought some 160 carvers for a bargain price in a big French sports shop!

Your new skis might not feel much lighter - they can be pretty heftily built. Some much heavier than others, in the same length.

Have fun. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Busylizzie, as others have said, 160cm seems about right, and probably a piste ski, around 70mm underfoot, with a ski radius <14m or thereabouts, if you want to work on carving technique. Will probably take you more than a few lessons to learn how to use carvers well, unless you're really good at isolating your steering skills already. Well worth the effort though. Welcome to snowHeads!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Busylizzie, As said above... you do need to learn how to use the skis... My mate learnt on straights and she still slides on her turns... more of a series of Zs rather than Ss.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy