Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting Married

Poster: A snowHead
Just about have the date set for 29th October 2004

Obviously would love to go ski-ing on honeymoon, but surely it's too early for the Alps. Could wait a few weeks till late Nov/ Early Dec, any suggestions other than the usual Tignes etc.

Any other non ski-ing destinations also welcome
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IIRC, Sestriere (sp) opens with artificial snow around that time.

Or somewhere with a year round glacier such as Hintertux.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some of the American resorts have very long seasons....I think Mammoth Mountain would probably be open? You could combine skiing with some of the other excitements of California?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simple, delay the wedding. Easier said than done of course.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to Singapore for a week then a cruise from Singapore through the Straights of Magelan (Malysia & Langkawi) to Tailand and back. Thoroughly recomend it - very relaxing (except the 13hr plane journey).
After the run up to your wedding, the last thing you will want to do is go on an adventure type holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I see where you are coming from Brian, but I find a week in the mountains very relaxing, especially if you get a lovely quiet resort.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's the French Toussaint half-term break in 2 Alpes, the glacier and the resort open for a week for the World Ski /Snowboard Exhibitions. Personally that's the last place I'd choose for a honeymoon (love 2 Alpes, but...) During that week, as with most other glacier resorts open before December, it's crammed with clubs and national teams who lay claim to most of the glacier, and seem to think that tourists should be somewhere else.

The exhibitions themselves though can be fun, freeride/big air/skateboarding etc, bargains on the coming year's equipment plus the chance to try out the latest skis for a day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stick with the Sperrins then, or I know of a really nice cow shed near Croke Patrick, it's got windows and everything. Very Happy - Only joking

Friends of mine are just back from their Honeymoon 5 days Vancouver 1 week Whistler. Can't stop them talking about how good Whistler was - I think they were a bit disapointed in Vancouver though.

Another tip - if you are thinking of budgeting then don't, people (aka wedding guests) are far more generous than you think they will be. And after you get back, your new wife will insist in redesigning your house and spend whatever you were putting aside anyway. So enjoy it whilst you can as you will only do it the once - in theory anyway.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers,

Good advice Brian.

What part of our fair country do you reside?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The quiet hamlet of Omagh. Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy. If you want somewhere a bit romantic to ski at that time, look at the Stubai glacier near Innsbruck. It's a nice glacier above a pretty valley, where you could find a good hotel. I imagine the Sport Hotel at the base of the mountain is still going, and it would be a very comfortable place to spend a few honeymoon nights.

If you wanted to get a few days with more action (the slopes have more pitch, there are more lifts) then proceed to Hintertux, where the top racers train in late October. Less romantic, but good.

A third Austrian glacier area I'd recommend is the one above Solden. It's quite extensive now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really like the Pitztal glacier, home to Benni Raich (the "Blitz from the Pitz") - Alain Baxter skis there a lot too. A beautiful spot (also with an excellent 'Sport Hotel' down in the valley...)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's some fancy 5 star hotels with hot tubs, sauna etc just near the main Hintertux lift.

Kaprun is another possble place to ski - it's where my season starts every year in October.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now considering North America. When can you rely on snow in resorts such as Lake Louise?

Trail finders quoting £650 for 7 nights, transfers flights, Room only
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy, speak to Ski-independence (www.ski-independence.co.uk) they may be able to give you a good deal on the Northern Ireland"supplement" as well.

(And I realise this is the second time in 2 days that I've plugged them. No, I don't work for them, nor do I get paid by them, I have just used them in the past and got very good deals from them!)
snow conditions
lake louise is open from november till June, I think.
ski holidays
And I'll plug Frontier Ski, we're about to go to Fernie with them this weekend and up to now they've been absolutely great
snow report
Johnboy, depending on your budget you can't go wrong by honeymooning at the Banff Springs, the slopes of Sunshine and lake Louise will open around that time if there's enough snow.
snow report
Sounds good Ken, however I'm a wee bit worried by your comment "If there's enough snow"

What is the very earliest you would risk booking? Remember this is probably a once in a lifetime experience and I want to get it right. At present I could delay the wedding a week or two to hit the season.

All comments welcome
ski holidays
Sunshine is open mid November. The hotel is fantastic, we were looked after very well as honeymooners 3 years ago.

PS. thanks for the reminder anniversary next week!!!
latest report
johnboy, have you thought about NZ or SA as options? It would be spring skiing there. Any snow in North America is questionable until at least Thanksgiving. You may get plenty before then, but there are really no guaranteed and it is "early season" until mid-December for a reason!
snow report
When's thanksgiving? We don;t have it over here.

I'd either push the wedding back and go for lake louise, or bring it forward and go for NZ
ski holidays
nbt, DOH! Sorry. I try so hard to remember to translate, and then I blow it big like this! Embarassed

Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November and usually the start of "real" skiing for most US areas. "Mid-season" doesn't hit until late December, and the best snow is in March. But, most USians stop skiing after February. Go figure...

'Course, leaves more snow for the rest of us!
snow report
Wedding is now set for Saturday 27th Nov 04. Probably fly out Monday 29th Nov.

Surely that gives me some scope for Lake Louise. I reckon Whistler is at roughly the same latitude but does its low altitude and proximety to the sea cause any early snow/ rain problems. I take it Lake Louise is a safe option.
snow report
I think so JB, and delaying until end Nov will ensure the opening of the ski areas. I see your from N. Ireland where would you fly from if flying to Calgary for Lake Louise/Banff?
latest report
Never mind all this honeymoon malarky JB, where's the stag night, and when?
snow conditions
Would probably have to fly out of Heathrow or maybe Glasgow is a possibility.

Will keep everyone updated on stag night progress.

So excited, got myself a whole load of 04/05 brochures to look through. Just over 8 months to go. We're getting married in a wee church outside Armoy in Co. Antrim. Reception is in a hotel near Dunluce Castle on the spectacular North Antrim Coast. The hotel is set at the top of a cliff above a beach with views across to Islay and Jura in the west of scotland. Should be a top day.
snow report
Small wedding is it?
You the missus, some family and Joey Dunlop's ghost ? Skullie
Dunluce is nice on a nice day.

I planned a medium sized wedding myself 150 - 200 guests, ended up with 350 - I come from 2 big family’s
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, Dunluce is a great place for photos. Hope it's not too windy when you're there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy