Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK. We've got our flights booked to Geneva (9 March) and we're looking for somewhere suitable for a couple of intermediate riders. There seems too much choice - we're looking at Flaine, Chamonix and almost everywhere else.
Anybody got any good ideas ? We usually go to Italy.
I'm a bit worried that Chamonix could be too difficult for us. Flaine looks good but I can't find any accommodation yet (short break).
Ideas welcome.

James.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would head to the Portes du Soleil - Chatel, Morzine or Avoriaz are all good. Avoriaz has a reputation as a boarders resort and is higher than the others. Even though Chatel and Morzine are lower i would have thought that you would be fine in early March - especially as the season looks like it will take a while to get going this year.

If staying in Chatel, trying contacting Agence Cruz (see details on the official Chatel website) as you can often book apartments stupidly cheap with them - much cheaper than using a UK travel agent
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep Morzine is a good base. 1 Hour from Geneva. You can get to Avoriaz very easily aswell. Les Gets has some lovely easy intermediete runs for cruising if that takes your fancy.

Anyway, I fly out tonight to Morzine!!!! Hee Hee
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have hears that Chamonix has great expert runs, and also very long lift lines. Since you are at an intermediate level, the expert runs don't really help, and long lines are never great.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your first choice is the best IMHO (I've been to all the others mentioned) Flaine is nearest to Geneva and has the best combination of pistes with easily accessible off piste. Not a boarder myself but we were there with two last year, heard no complaints - just big grins all round, only drawback is its not a big party place.
Accomodation is a bit of a problem in Flaine itself, v.few normal hotels there, its nearly all club hotels and apartments. Better hotel options are in the lower towns around which are linked by lifts to the Grand Massif of Flaine (Samoens, Morillon or Les carroz)

Chamonix is great for atmosphere if you stay in the Town itself but difficult to get to know properly on a short trip because of the widely spaced ski areas up the valley, definitely need a car to get about.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TOP TIP
Ste Foy
Little know very small resort just down the valley from Tignes. Only got one string of 3 chair lifts but it is FANTASTIC for off piste. No one goes there. Powder stays untracked for days!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulmc, SHUT UP pillock! It's bad enough having the Val D' refugees poncing about there, the last thing it needs is hoards of steep and deep wannabees mucking it up Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haven't been to Flaine but Chamonix is fantastic! I'm off there again in 2 weeks! There's a great atmosphere, lift queues can be long but it's worth the wait! I'm a skiier, but I'm sure as intermediate rider's Chamonix has plenty to offer you. La Vormaine, Les Chosalets, Le Savoy and Les Planards are easy piste. There's also some backcountry action at Le Tour / Vallorcine. The majority of runs are blue and red but there are some pretty steep slopes! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CHAMONIX RULES.
Its always easy enough to get accomodation in Cham and conditions should be good in March.
I was out in Jan and cant wait to return to Argentiere for the last week of the season in May. Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque,

"up my own butt" you're not wrong there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cham is brill but be under no illusions. Cham has 4 separate main areas excluding Valle Blanche etc. If intermediate and staying on-piste then each area is limited in terms of pistes - you will be re-skiing them. Only two are linked together and those by a lateral lift. To experience night time action you will want to stay in Cham. To experience the best mountain areas you will need to take a longish bus ride.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Portes du Soleil !!! defo! i'm off on the 9 march also as it happens. easyjet at 6am in the bloody morning. whatever possessed me to book that...
anyway - staying in Chatel which is an ace resort as it hasn't been trailroaded by mcdonalds, BK, chicken treats, and retains a very french feel! what the point in leaving blighty to arrive at a place that feels exactly like the UK highstreet on a friday night with loads of ladies' front bottoms lookin for a fight! not me.

Chatel is great for intermediates with loads of clear wide runs. you can of course get the portes du soleil lift pass which takes you all over the shop!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuza, whatever Châtels merits claiming it has a French feel is a bit a stretch. It has pubs selling English beer, you can get cooked English breakfasts and buy that days copy of the redtop tabloids.

I guess if you're very familar with the UK on Friday night you can spot the difference but, speaking as European, I'd be hard pressed to see the difference.

It's about on a par with Les Gets as far as I can see.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hey mate i know exactly were you can go Wengen in the bernese oberland part of Switzerland.my mate runs a boarding house were you can rent rooms or apartments. its called 'wengenlodge' and ive stayed there you can cook yourself or eat out there is great views of the valleys from back rooms as well.the village is small with plenty of bars and a few night life spots the people who live there are great and friendly. if you come from geneva you will need to get a train to bern and then change to go to interlaken ost then change again to lauterbrunnen where you get the 10 minute train up to wengen. from geneva your looking at about a 3 to 4 hour journey but its worth it once you get to wengen the place is great and once you go you always end up going back the snow is really good at the moment as well there and there is a great range of pistes to go on including some really nice black runs and good off piste areas.from the village there is only a 25 minute train ride up to the klein scheidegg or a 3 minute cable car to the manlichen. which is much easier to get to and is suituated at the centre of the village.wengenlodge is just outside the village and is a walk to the village or if you prefer there is a taxi operating in the village which is the only car around as the onlty way up to the village is by train which makes it so great as its like your seperated from the madness of large towns and cities. go to the wengen website for more www.wengen.com and you should find out more including about wengenlodge. good luck reply if you wont some more info. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
muttley, are you a fan of Jack Kerouac by any chance?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy