Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance carre neige question

Poster: A snowHead
jimmjimm, when my daughter was away either travelling in S Africa or doing seasons in Austria or Whistler then she had a card on my credit card. One of the women in a class managed to break daughter's thumb by stamping her boot on it when she was trying to help her get into her skis. Later found that the woman had picked up the wrong pair so no wonder they didn't fit. But as she was with the ski school all those expenses, and loss of earnings, were covered by ski school insurance.

But, as she had my credit card, we knew that if anything dire happened then she would have the ability to pay for it, and sort it out later. I do of course trust my daughter and I think she had one or two things put on it (car hire maybe) but she always contacted me first just to check ok. She certainly would not have stood around looking gormless - but probably many do.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont, it seems from the posts above that they won't always - it seems a good idea to give them a credit card, just in case. When my son went travelling in far flung flaky places he had a card on my credit card account, and he'd paid me £1000 up front. He did overdraw, but he paid it all back eventually, working for minimum wage in the local petrol station. the only time I was seriously worried was when he used it to pay an absolutely enormous deposit on a rented camper van. "It's OK Mum, we'll get it all back unless we total the van" he said cheerily. Somehow, that didn't entirely reassure me, especially after what I'd heard about New Zealand's road safety record. Anyway, he didn't. Sigh of relief smiley....

He's still wandering. He's in Australia doing a Ph D but I had an email from him today saying he's spending a few days in Thailand with a girl he knew back in Brighton. But these days he has his own credit card. I hope he has some insurance - he has student cover in Oz. Puzzled He has plenty of gorm though and generally seems to cope.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, in Serre Che, they dealt with our Uk insurer directly for the ambulance cost.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, yes, that's been my experience up to now - but obviously we can't rely on that happening every time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I think VT has a bit of a reputation for only acceptinf a credit card. Seem to remember someone being held in the medical centre with a broken collarbone until someone paid up.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmjimm wrote:
Paul-B,
The hospital in Chambery phoned the Insurance company and faxed the details.
Hospital was told that the operation would not be covered, and she came back to the resort.
The next day she was phoned by the insurance company and told that the operation would have been covered.
They arranged 2 extra seats on her flight home and she is going for her operation at home next Thursday.
Of course her 800 euro outlay will be covered by the insurance, but my question wasn't about that.
The question I asked was how are these expences covered on the spot by 18 year olds without the extra cash or credit cards.
Lizzard, .The medical centre demanded immediate payment and weren't willing to accept assurances from insurance companies.
It's up to you to claim back when you get home.

Appreciate your reply - I understand entirely about how can a young person actually pay to dig themselves out of a mess, appreciate the responses.

I am interested that you say the hospital turned her away, and wonder whether she had an EHIC card and whether this made any difference? Shoddy treatment from the insurers in her hour of need but at least they got their act together eventually.

I feel that the decision to operate locally should be a purely clinical one though of course medical opinions vary from place to place and country to country and there are advantages to being treated near home. Hope it goes well for her. I am two weeks post shoulder op and don't think I'll be going out again this season (if ever!).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm. At Alpe D'Huez when I had an accident a few years ago, I am pretty sure that the doctor who treated me was in private practice, so I would not have been covered by the EHIC card for her care. Payment for care was required up front, as was payment for the medical stuff from the pharmacy needed by the doctor. I was very glad that the insurance company (snowcard) took over organizing a taxi to Grenoble, 3 Easyjet seats in a row for me, and an adjacent seat for my companion, and then a medical technician and vehicle from Gatwick to Lincoln. It's not just the cost (which would have been considerable) it's also the hassle of the logistics management that you pay insurance for.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A good news story regarding treatment abroad...

A couple of days after arriving in Tignes (this was two weeks ago) I lost a filling from one of my back teeth. The tooth was mostly filling so this didn't leave much tooth left. Our hotel manager booked me an emergency appointment with a dentist in Le lac and off I went. After 40 minutes work I got a bill for €70. It would have been 3 times that much in the UK!

Also, the bill is covered by our Denplan policy, with no excess.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, payment for treatment from a French doc is always needed up front, even French people are charged to visit their GP.About 20-30€. You can claim back the cost though from the NHS on your return.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The bit about DogTag at the start of this thread has made me wonder how many of the Americans who come to ski in Europe and assume they can ski off piste are actually covered by their insurance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
Hmm. At Alpe D'Huez when I had an accident a few years ago, I am pretty sure that the doctor who treated me was in private practice, so I would not have been covered by the EHIC card for her care. Payment for care was required up front, as was payment for the medical stuff from the pharmacy needed by the doctor.

Of course it is covered. The prefer that you attend a state practitioner but if there is not one available you pay and recover the costs on your return. All you have to do is keep the receipts and then fill in the appropriate forms on your return - just like my wife did last week.

Quote:
I was very glad that the insurance company (snowcard) took over organizing a taxi to Grenoble, 3 Easyjet seats in a row for me, and an adjacent seat for my companion, and then a medical technician and vehicle from Gatwick to Lincoln. It's not just the cost (which would have been considerable) it's also the hassle of the logistics management that you pay insurance for.

How come you didn't avail yourself of a private plane like the other snowhead lied about getting?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 1-02-10 15:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
7and2suited, Why do you lie?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I own a house in Merthyr, in Dowlais to be more precise - opposite the Tredegar Arms.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Idiot - are you going to read the posts people make or just answer points out of thin air?

Charming. I have in fact read all of your posts, and a rare load of old tosh they are too. You maintain that your EHIC card covers everything that a wintersports travel insurance policy would. This makes you a complete twerp.

Idiot and a liar too I see. Where did I say that?

Do your parents know you have stolen their computer login?

I said that the things not covered are either so slight or extreme you can self insure no problem.

What a Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, I don't have the records any more - but Snowcard handled the claim backs. The one point I had to remember was to retain the little stickers that came with the pharmacy goods to pass back to Snowcard.

It's a while ago, but IIRC, I had to cough up about €400 to the pharmacy and the doc. It seems prudent to me to take into account the possibility of having to pay out at least that up front in the event of an accident - and to make sure your credit card can cope with that.

7and2suited, don't understand your question. Snowcard arranged the transport. In my view, the row of seats on a scheduled flight was perfectly adequate for my injury - there was no need for any private plane.
snow report
achilles wrote:
7and2suited, don't understand your question. Snowcard arranged the transport. In my view, the row of seats on a scheduled flight was perfectly adequate for my injury - there was no need for any private plane.

You mean... you DON'T need £25,000 spare to cover repatriation after all? My my my, thank goodness for that. Those other snowheads had me worried for a while.
ski holidays
7and2suited wrote:
achilles wrote:

You mean... you DON'T need £25,000 spare to cover repatriation after all? My my my, thank goodness for that. Those other snowheads had me worried for a while.

You really don't need to keep trying so hard to appear stupid, you know. You've done such a good job already.

But if you actually have sufficient intelligence to be able to type your posts yourself, then it isn't actually possible for you to be quite as stupid as you are trying to portray yourself. You are definitely over-egging the pudding on that front.

achilles He is trying to claim that because somebody rightly said there is the possibility of needing a private flight for repatriation, then that must always be needed, so how come you didn't.

He was also pointlessly lying when he said that some Snowhead had lied about having had one.
latest report
7and2suited, Oh I see. I think that just possible (something like a broken back maybe?) but unlikely. The flight aspect, privately arranged, would possibly have cost £400, or so, I would think. My guess is that in total the repatriation costs were about £1000, which I could have met privately, of course. I would not have had Snowcard's efficient handling of the matter, taking a lot of worry away from me, though.
snow report
Unlikely to the point that insurance is not really required as the basic and more common injuries, example son's broken elbow a few weeks ago, are covered anyway without insurance.

Alex, thank's for your input, I'll read it through later when I've got more time. Give me something to look forward to I'm sure.
latest report
7and2suited wrote:
I own a house in Merthyr, in Dowlais to be more precise - opposite the Tredegar Arms.
God, even worse. (Sorry rob@rar, IIRC Merthyr is also your home town.)
snow conditions
alex_heney, they say that irony is wasted on the young..

You've been outed then young un..
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
7and2suited wrote:

To be fair his profile gave it away, which is why I mentioned it:

alex_heney
FreeRider

Knowing the sort of people that live there explains a lot in regards to his posts actually.. Wink
ski holidays
7and2suited, to be fair, one can't generalise - I don't know alex_heney, but I do know rob@rar and he's lovely. (But I could have mis-remembered where he comes from.) Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
7and2suited, to be fair, one can't generalise - I don't know alex_heney, but I do know rob@rar and he's lovely. (But I could have mis-remembered where he comes from.) Laughing

LOL!
latest report
7and2suited wrote:

I suppose that would make you a pathological liar Smile
snow report
Quote:

How come you didn't avail yourself of a private plane like the other snowhead lied about getting?

I've been ignoring the drivel in this thread, but I'm having trouble ignoring that. I can quite assure you that I did indeed fly in a private plane from Geneva to Glasgow with my broken back and that the bill was somewhat in excess of £25,000. (Around £30,000 if I remember rightly, but since I didn't have to pay it, I don't remember the exact figure!). rolling eyes
latest report
7and2suited wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
7and2suited wrote:

To be fair his profile gave it away, which is why I mentioned it:

alex_heney
FreeRider

Knowing the sort of people that live there explains a lot in regards to his posts actually.. Wink

I actually live a couple of miles outside Merthyr, and am doing all I can to move away from the area (partly because I loathe the town, partly because I now work 75 miles away).
snow report
7and2suited wrote:

Of course it is covered. The prefer that you attend a state practitioner but if there is not one available you pay and recover the costs on your return. All you have to do is keep the receipts and then fill in the appropriate forms on your return - just like my wife did last week.

Are these forms available online? The only instructions I can find are as follows:

Quote:
How do I claim a refund?
Should you be unfortunate enough to need treatment that becomes medically necessary during your visit, you should seek to claim reimbursement before you return. Visit www.dh.gov.uk/travellers.for country-specific information regarding this.
If you can't claim while you are away you should contact the following upon your return to the UK:

The Department for Work & Pensions
International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA.
Tel: 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 08.00-17.00).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

I've been ignoring the drivel in this thread, but I'm having trouble ignoring that. I can quite assure you that I did indeed fly in a private plane from Geneva to Glasgow with my broken back and that the bill was somewhat in excess of £25,000. (Around £30,000 if I remember rightly, but since I didn't have to pay it, I don't remember the exact figure!). rolling eyes

But you didn't need to?

Did you? Wink
ski holidays
Paul-B wrote:
7and2suited wrote:

Are these forms available online? The only instructions I can find are as follows:

On the back of your card is a number, my wife rang them from France and they told her what to do and arranged with her and sent the forms out when we got back.

I just rang her but she's in the car and can't remember off the top of her head what forms.
snow conditions
Quote:

But you didn't need to?

Did you? Wink

I have no idea, I didn't get much say in the decision-making!

Apparently with a spinal injury which requires you to be transported lying-down, getting a row of seats on a commercial flight isn't good enough. They have to actually remove the seats and put you in on some kind of stretcher/trolley. There are very few airlines willing/able to do this.

I'm told by my wife that flying at low-altitude through the mountains was spectacular, but I can't confirm this as all I could see was the roof of the plane... Sad
latest report
7and2suited wrote:
alex_heney, they say that irony is wasted on the young..

You've been outed then young un..

Why thank you so much! Toofy Grin
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

But you didn't need to?

Did you? Wink

I have no idea, I didn't get much say in the decision-making!

Apparently with a spinal injury which requires you to be transported lying-down, getting a row of seats on a commercial flight isn't good enough. They have to actually remove the seats and put you in on some kind of stretcher/trolley. There are very few airlines willing/able to do this.

I'm told by my wife that flying at low-altitude through the mountains was spectacular, but I can't confirm this as all I could see was the roof of the plane... Sad

What you could of done though is buy a second hand volvo estate, bung you in the back on some cushions, drive it over then scrap it

Top Gear styley
ski holidays
That might have been quicker.... apparently a small cessna takes 9hrs to fly from Geneva to Glasgow, not counting landing to refuel in Kent. Then they left me in Prestwick airport (2hrs from my house) instead of Glasgow airport (10mins from my house).
latest report
And your insurers skanked twnety five large for that? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Well, the sandwiches and cakes onboard were pretty good...
ski holidays
7and2suited, you said this on page one of this thread: "a travel insurance policy covers us for nothing that is not already insured."

You also said this, in response to Helen Beaumont's point that the EHIC does not cover piste rescue: "all of what you quoted IS covered, except of course the luxury of your son travelling with him - you just have to know how"

Now do go away, you risible little twerp.
ski holidays
You're a dribbling fool Lizzard. Go eat some more snow..
ski holidays
It is sad 7and2suited, that the best you can do when the nonsense you spout is unarguably countered is to be offensive - but then I suppose that is why you enjoy trolling.
ski holidays
Second helpings again. Is it me or the forum software that causes these double postings?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy