Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fitness question

Poster: A snowHead
I've kind of got a little bit fiiter for this season - stating from a low base-
So when not skiing I use a exersise bike....

The computer on the bike says i should keep my heart rate at or below 140 when exercising and to be fair if i don't raise my heart rate above 140 I don't get tired and could continue untill board ...

So to keep my heart rate at 140 I have to produce 180 watts ...

I'm a fat bloke in my 30's...

My question is how many watts does a fit younger person have to produce to get there heart rate up to a similar level?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you pwering the gyms lights ???
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sev112 wrote:
Are you pwering the gyms lights ???

no
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
II, Dunno about the watts mate but I think it all depends on % of max heart rate which is of course different for different folk. Is the bike at a gym ? I know at mine one of the personal trainers had some sessions to determine max heart rate and you can the worked off that.
That said I don't train with heart rate (and don't use the bike much either) but I know it works for lots of people.
(Can't answer the actual question personally Laughing)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II wrote:
I've kind of got a little bit fiiter for this season - stating from a low base-
I'm a fat bloke in my 30's...

My question is how many watts does a fit younger person have to produce to get there heart rate up to a similar level?

That question is easily answered: how many watts does it take to toss one off? Not very many.

A better question would be: how many watts _can_ a fit younger person produce below a certain heart rate.

Rule of thumb: Fit= 2 watts per pound body weight at lactate threshold. Race-fit= 3 watts per pound body weight at lactate threshold.
Lactate threshold is usually _way_ above fat-burning heart rates, but is also far less than maximum HR.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's cleared that up then.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
II, on my exercise bike, to maintain 131 bpm (75% max) I use about 110W. I am a very unfit, slightly wobbly 44 year old.

Don't think this really helps, except to say that one of our bikes must either be inefficient or wrong. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
II, i wouldn't get too technical about training buddy... i.e. watts, cals burnt, meters ran or cycled, max heart rate etc etc...if you bust a gut every session and train until you cant go on another second then you're done....p.s....please tell me you're not one of those people who read a magazine or watch mtv while you're on the bike!?.....

okbye
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
II wrote:
sev112 wrote:
Are you powering the gyms lights ???

no

Then why bother? Make sure you spend enough time training in a way which doesn't bore you shitless. Measure your weight maybe - and some kind of measurement that allows you to see you are getting stronger.

snowpatrol DVD player or Sky in our home gym. And a glass of wine. Hope you approve. NehNeh For many of us time spent doing exercise has to be interesting, or at least not a grunting macho waste of life.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, go ahead chum...fill your boots.....that grunting macho waste of life statement is retarded though...i'm surprised at you....

okbye
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jerry, Laughing Laughing Laughing (thanks!!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I strap a portable DVD player to the handlebars - had the odd crash but otherwise seems to work
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowpatrol, oh come on - we all know about you sweaty "partial squats are for wimps"
gym rats.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
140 is quite low - I'm 45 and looking back at some of my xc races I was holding my heart rate somewhat higher than that:

eg 7.5km skate race avg 177 max 183 race time 27 minutes
1hr skate race race avg 178 max 185 over the whole hr though it was a flat course.

144 would be fairly easy for me to maintain either xc skiing or on a bike, though it is probably a good level for me to maintain on an easy training session. I'd also aim to do some inetrvals, doing a few minutes (2 to 4) at close to max then a similar time very easy. Repeat several times. No idea on watts as I've never tried to work it out.

I'm not great at training with a heart rate monitor - I tend to just use it to see what I heart rate I achieve during a race or training session.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, Laughing ........

okbye
ski holidays
II, as a lardy female in my 40s a HR of 140 is pretty much me just warmed up, and I could go for hours on the bike at that pace.

Assuming you are attending a gym that you are paying good money for, why not ask one of the staff to suggest a structured training programme - after all I would imagine that this is partly what they are paid for.

You could try seeing how hard you can go until you blow for a start, watts wise, then design a little programme for yourself or have a search online for some training regimes. FWIW if you fancy trying out the Concept II rowers they have a great web page that has some nice training packages that work well IMO.

Good luck.
snow report
Dave Horsley, MarjMJ, I think the on-bike directions are trying to keep him in a fat-burning regime, which is why the HR is so low.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
I strap a portable DVD player to the handlebars - had the odd crash but otherwise seems to work

If you've managed to crash a gym bike, I hope you won't go out on the road on a real one Shocked Shocked
latest report
140 is 75% of my max heart rate. at this rate I don't get tired when I increase it above 150 I start to get tired....
snow report
I think it depends exactly what you want to achieve. I agee with a few other posters and would encourage you to have a chat with someone at the gym. I would think interval training would be a bit more benificial when getting fit for skiing. It works you hard for a few minutes, pushing your heartrate up, just like it would if you were skiing hard, but then allows a 'recovery' period of a few minutes when you slow the pace and aim to lower your heartrate right down. As you get fitter, you can easily see that your heart rate recovers faster, a good motivator. This reflects more closely what you might be doing while skiing, builds heart strength and is less boring than just plodding on the bike at the same rate for ages.
snow conditions
II, I would also go for some interval training I tend to do 10 mins warm up in level 1hr for me thats 125-145 then an interval of maybe 3 mins increasing the resistance each min in hr 145-161 z2 and then 2 mins easy recovery repeat as desired I do about 6 then 10 mins cool down back at the lower heart rate........ BUT intervals are definitely the way forward and change the intensity and duration each time hope this helps a little
latest report
Helen LS, 10 minutes warmup? Youngster. wink
snow report
comprex, That was an abbriviated version - iron man training .................. I missed out quite a bit !
snow report
comprex, suppose so. In some ways it makes a change to see someone exercising in a gym within their limits rather than totally beasting themselves and not getting anything out of it.
ski holidays
II,

Even using 220 -less age as max you'd be 80! Max HR is a guide and will vary from individual to indivdual. I'm 40 and max out at 204, but that's not a guide to fitness it's just a guide to me. Max HR just varies - yougot a big or a little heart?

RPE - rate of perceived exertion seems to work well. Better than using a max heart rate if your not a fitness freak.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/rpe.htm

'Helen LS, which IM are you doing? Tell me Austria... it's where all the cool people are this year! Laughing
snow conditions
fatirishman, No I am being uber uncool and doing Regensberg if I get there ............ training a little disheartening at the mo Sad and about to be interupted by 10 days in Canada but hopefully will get a few runs in at least .... Havent even got time to be looking at this really Wink
snow report
if it's fat burning you want -errr no offense meant Smile

The common thoughts are to be working at about 60% of your effort level. that is measured by:
Quote:
60-75 percent MHR
You're working now but could still hold a conversation. You could probably sustain this level of intensity for an hour or so.
snow conditions
Helen LS, Regensburg should be a good 'un! Greatl location. Are you a signed up Tripey? If not why not? It's great motivation. Right you have to beat Larmen...... wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You do not have to be fit or thin to do any recreational skiing (Resorts,Pistes).

If your getting tired skiing Pistes/trails then your technique is completely wrong or your genuinely over doing it i.e how many folk play football,Tennis,Squash etc for 8hrs?
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader wrote:
if it's fat burning you want -errr no offense meant :)

The common thoughts are to be working at about 60% of your effort level. that is measured by:
Quote:
60-75 percent MHR
You're working now but could still hold a conversation. You could probably sustain this level of intensity for an hour or so.

Easy for us to say; we can't be sued when new exercisers have heart attacks.
ski holidays
stanton, disagree - your statement contains an obvious circular argument, and comes from the perspective of a fit bloke who skis a lot.

Of course if "your getting tired" you may "your genuinely over doing it" - that is like saying if you are fat, you may weigh a lot.

Technique and smoothness is hugely important in reviewing energy expenditure. A rock rolling down hill expends no energy doing so. But any skier who is making any turns will expend some energy, and if that is on steeper pistes or softer snow on piste, that may be enough to tire them out rapidly if they do little exercise between ski holidays.
latest report
comprex, this is the current general thinking about excercise levels and results.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, it's not like me to agree with stanton, but he has a point. Even if you hammer recreational skiing, miss out lunch you've a got a maximum of seven hours you can ski. Actual time spent moving on skis, not sitting in lifts, not surveying the lie of the land, or readjusting your boots etc I doubt would top 2 hours (I'm talking time actually on the move here). In those couple of hours you're hardly doing CV type work, although HR is higher it's mostly strength type issues in your legs. We're not talking about anything much more strenuous than a 5km run here. Controversial I know, but half the people skiing seem to smoke, and don't look like they could run the length of themselves. I'll be skiing long after I've given up tri. It's great moderate exercise, but surely as a recreational skiier.. we're doing this for the thrill, the scenery, being with friends and family, the rush.... but not for the CV workout. If we wanted that we'd spend all day in the gym.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 26-01-10 9:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
fatirishman, easy to say for a fit bloke. Try skiing for 6 hours (even including meal stops, lifts etc) if you really are unfit and you'd soon see how much exercise is involved.

As stoatsbrother says, if you do little exercise between ski hols then it takes a surprising amount of energy to constantly work against gravity. Including the getting-up-after-falling-over bits.
snow conditions
andyph, I really disagee. I ski with a group of German friends every year. Mostly they're a bunch of couch potatoes, that maybe at a push do a bit of walking and cycle into town. They have no issues with a long ski day, admittedly as long as they get a nice lunch! I'm all for that too , skiing is a holiday, and I'm there to enjoy their company in the mountains. Nope and it's not an agething wither.. they're all around 40. You don't have to be that fit to ski!

If you're really unfit, then pull your finger out! As long as your body is OK, no major illness or disabilites srecreational skiing should not be that hard!
snow conditions
Anybody get knackered just putting their ski boots on?
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, I get hot and sweaty... but I think that all boot rooms are to hot. Smile
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, Indeed and you're all kitted up for -5 or whatever Laughing I also have to sort the kids ones out etc

I think how fit you need to be depends on your ski style - some people just pootle along. Having neglected the gym since November I was the most unfit I have ever been on my New Year trip this season. Not necessarily the cardio - but thigh burn from hell doing the run down to Montalbert from Belle Plagne. As my most favourite troll would say...I need to start squatting till I puke.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Anybody get knackered just putting their ski boots on?

Yep!

And after reading this thread, I'm just going for a nice lie down......now where's that laminated semi-naked picture of Chemmy I've been holding on to....???
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader wrote:
comprex, this is the current general thinking about excercise levels and results.

I'm well aware of that; I suspect the lawyers for the spin bike makers are well aware of it too.

I reckon they're further aware that all it takes is one big negligence lawsuit to put a fitness machine company out of business.

And *blanket* recommendations for heart rates on machines that are likely to be used by sedentary novices without doctor approval are a good way to start one.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy