Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen/Ischgl for new year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Already planning again - I've only been home 12 days! The last 2 years I have spent a week in Lech. The wife isn't interested and the kids are too young so I've been a lone traveller. Suits me Cool

Next season I want to do a 2 centre in Austria, the second half can be some more convivial chilling in Lech, but I've decided the first half (over new year) should be a bit more lively, hence the idea of either Maryhofen or Ischgl (or Galtur and a taxi).

Anyone know what these resorts would be like over new year? Is it full on drunken mayhem or just lively apres? And is there a large brit presence?
Any other resort suggestions?

Many thanks

Owen
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
owen4220, Ischgl does not have a big Brit presence at all (which I prefer, I reckon it has to be 95% German and Austrian with a few Russians), although more and more Britis are starting to go there. I haven't been over New Year but it is very lively even in Low season. In my experience it is very lively apres rather than drunken mayhem, the Germans and Austrians are up for a good time and get absolutely mullered but I've never seen any trouble when I've been there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been to both and am going to both this season. Ischgl has far less Brits than Mayrhofen and the livelier apres ski but both are great. You pays your money and takes your choice but you can't go wrong with either. If cost is a consideration, Ischgl is certainly the more expensive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about St Anton and Lech?

Anton beats Ischgl on apres, Ischgl wins on the actual nightlife, although I found it rather full of ostentatious Russians flaunting thier fur coats and diamonds... Whereas at least the drunken Brits in Anton are diluted by the drunken Scandies... mmm Scandie women...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
owen4220, Not long back from Kappl and skied Ischgl one day and stayed on to sample the apres - only till 6 mind you - not a patch on St Anton's apres IMO. For some reason I did not particularly warm to Ischgl and agree with clarky999, - too many Ruskies parading in their Prada. As an example the town was as busy as St Anton but lacked the buzz of St Anton. I would be tempted to go for Mayrhofen/Gerlos instead of Ischgl
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At night (ie 11 - 6am) Ischgl gets a lot better and livelier. It's a more 'grown up' sort of nightlife. I still prefer Anton for a holiday though, and the skiing is better too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Best fireworks I've ever seen in Mayrhofen over NY!, they went on for about 4 hours and *everyone* had fireworks! Some crazies were firing rockets down the street :0
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy