Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1800 - ongoing trip reports!! The next installments!! Now with added photos!

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:
Freddie Paellahead, glad you all had such a wonderful time. I've been impressed your your precise recall of the pistes and lifts you journeyed on each day (as well as menu choices). I rarely get beyond "up that one" and "down there, then across to the other one" level of detail, not least because I know the names of hardly any of the lifts and pistes Embarassed

When Wales win will you promise not to smash the place up? Wink

Rob, we left before the rugby finished, what was the score Toofy Grin

Just wanted you to know that we really enjoyed staying at the apartment - it had everything we needed for a great week. Especially liked the ski in and ski out aspect as we could ski to the chairlift within a few minutes of leaving the boot room (notwithstanding iscream's little warm up on the run down rolling eyes )

I also wanted to give the Tandem Cafe and Bar yet another plug for any snowHead's in the Chantel area of Arcs 1800. Olivier and Sandrine provide an extremely warm welcome and cook a mean pizza.

We are just about to leave Bourg on the Euro* and hopefully will get some sleep. Fantastic week Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,
Quote:

I rarely get beyond "up that one" and "down there, then across to the other one" level of detail,
Phew, glad it's not just me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freddie Paellahead wrote:

It turns out that the last bit of Maitaz is both genepi's and iscream's least favourite bit of les Arcs - a real "bomb alley" with too many skiers of too varied ability levels converging on a little narrowish steep bit - not ideal rolling eyes

Pay attention Freddie! Grand Melezes is the evil run I was talking about! rolling eyes Looks simple - nice cruisy blue, in fact - but the reality is a combination of fast but good skiers (dont mind them), fast but bad skiers (terrify me Shocked ) and loads of beginners struggling with the above on invariably packed sheet ice, & often fog!

Great to see you though & meet the family Very Happy When our friend rang to see where we were & N told her we'd bumped into people, she was expecting the worst & thought I was coming home on a blood wagon Laughing Laughing

Maybe the bird you saw round Clocheret was a Lammageier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_Vulture

We saw one last year circling us on Coombe, rather spookily Confused

Glad you had a good time Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
genepi, That's the bit I was describing I'm sure - real take you life in your hands territory - god knows what it would be like in the school hols - it was bad enough when we were there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry genepi, we were obviously talking at cross purposes rolling eyes

For those of you that were at EoSB 2006, Olivier who is now the proprietor of the Tandem bar in Chantel, was then the manager of the Red Fox. He remembered the name "Snowheads" straight away and now has some snowHead s stickers on his door Very Happy

I am planning to add some photos but currently struggling with my first foray into using Aperture - and can't "find" the photos when I am searching for them when trying to Upload into Snow Media ZOne rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For those of you that were at EoSB 2006, Olivier who is now the proprietor of the Tandem bar in Chantel, was then the manager of the Red Fox. He remembered the name "Snowheads" straight away and now has some snowHead s stickers on his door

Does he do discount?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

He remembered the name "Snowheads" straight away and now has some snowHead s stickers on his door

SAYING - MOST WANTED?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I think they may be struggling (especially now the French have arrived rolling eyes ) and we felt they needed support (direct answer is "No" but I suspect that if he gets enough custom from us then "Yes" would become more likely.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NOW WITH ADDED PHOTOS

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 7-02-10 22:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, I think they may be struggling (especially now the French have arrived rolling eyes ) and we felt they needed support (direct answer is "No" but I suspect that if he gets enough custom from us then "Yes" would become more likely.

Sadly I think that's probably true. The previous tenants of that cafe kept it going for 2 or 3 seasons before closing. The French self-catering market doesn't seem to spend any money in resort other than lift passes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, must admit that, once we had got that close, we repaired to your apartment and our own drinks. It's strange, I'm not usually a cheapskate about such things - normally I love having mountain lunches and drinks - guess it must be because your apartment is so comfy and convenient. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, yes, I confess to not spending much time doing mountain lunches or apres ski stuff when in Les Arcs (mainly because being there so often would lead to (a) bankruptcy and (b) liver damage).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, hmmm, wot about those oft-photographed hot choccies with whipped cream? wink (That's the trouble with posting photos - they come back and bite you!)
Edit: in fairness - I'm in a very fair mood today wink - that's probably a single photo that's done the rounds a lot.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
... that's probably a single photo that's done the rounds a lot.

Yup, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. And in any case that was taken in Tignes Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to read about snow conditions right now come over to the Les Arcs thread in snow conditions section. Still great today. Any snowheads fancy meeting up PM me or post on other thread. You can also visit my facebook page to see pics of current conditions.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/snowcrazy.chris?ref=profile
ski holidays
Back at work Sad
latest report
genepi I'd always associated Lammergeiers with the Pyrenees, but I see that article says they have been re-introduced to the Alps.
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead, nice pics. I love the way iscream was so chuffed with her first red run that she nicked the piste marker! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
RachelQ wrote:
I love the way iscream was so chuffed with her first red run that she nicked the piste marker!
Always good to have a souvenir, not matter how unorthodox Wink
ski holidays
RachelQ, Laughing Laughing

Really enjoyed reading this thread - thanks to all Very Happy Must get to Les Arcs soon!
snow report
Yoda, They have indeed. I've only seen one, but I have it on good authority that there are 2 breeding pairs in the Vanoise National Park in Peisey. They're quite impressive to see Shocked
snow report
genepi, I became aware of them when "lammergeier" was the answer to an AZED crossword clue (back in the days when the Observer ran decent crosswords and I could read Chambers 20th Century dictionary with unaided eyes rolling eyes ). Subsequently we saw some when walking in the Pyrenees but I had no idea they were now in the Alps. Thanks - I'll keep an eye out in future Cool
snow conditions
genepi wrote:
Yoda, They have indeed. I've only seen one, but I have it on good authority that there are 2 breeding pairs in the Vanoise National Park in Peisey. They're quite impressive to see Shocked

Perhaps that's what we saw then Very Happy
ski holidays
I've just found a suitable web-site with pictures and suspect that it may have been a Honey Buzzard actually
ski holidays

I think it might have been one of these (on closer inspection, Honey Buzzard too small)
latest report
Hi from Robs apartment - We arrived Saturday Belfast to Chambery - no delays. Beautiful bluebird days Sunday and Monday Very Happy -9 or so at 1800 so ok. LOTS of people but queues not too bad just the usual at Vegere first thing and about 2.00pm. Son has done 6 blacks so far and has 6 to go! As for the rest of us the reds at Peissey Vallandry are good and not to many people over at 2000. Snow is fine however due to the amount of traffic some slopes are getting icy. Snow is forecast for Wednesday night and again on Friday so here hoping Very Happy Apartment great particularly appreciate the box of beers left by FreddiePaellaHead!
snow report
ruthie wrote:
Apartment great particularly appreciate the box of beers left by FreddiePaellaHead!

....and his little followers Very Happy
snow conditions
trying to post some pics but may take some time until I work it out! Had very nice carry out pizzas from the Tandem Bar. However the trip back to the apartment was interesting - involving sliding on my behind part of the way. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ruthie, say hello to Olivier and Sandrine at the Tandem Bar (from the previous tenants). Glad you are having such fun snowHead
ski holidays
Hi ruthie, Richard E must have "forgotten" to mention that he also had a sliding episode when bringing back the pizzas rolling eyes
Glad to hear that you're having a good time and slopes not too busy. Very Happy
Did you notice the snowHead s stickers on the Tandem Bar's door?
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, just sitting here about 6.00 having a G&T Very Happy Very flat light today in the morning and late afternoon but middle of day was lovely. Did mostly the red runs under the Derby trying out all the little bits alongside the piste - under the trees etc. Skied through lunchtime as the queues were less and stopped at the altiport for a hot chocolate. No snow so far Crying or Very sad and temperature has risen quite dramatically. Son (17) has skied from Aguille Rouge to Villaroger on his own! Will say hello to the Tandem Bar the next time we are up.
snow report
ruthie, the red under Derby (?Bellette) always seemed much more pleasant than the parallel blue because it was less crowded. genepi recommended taking the right fork off the red called Rhodos on the last-but-one day but we never got round to trying it. Hope the G&T are up to standard wink
snow report
ruthie, the red under Derby (?Bellette) always seemed much more pleasant than the parallel blue because it was less crowded. genepi recommended taking the right fork off the red called Rhodos on the last-but-one day but we never got round to trying it. Hope the G&T are up to standard wink

Rhodos, or the 'roller run' is normally very quiet, and one of the last to get tracked when there's been a dump.

At the bottom.... across Maitaz, over the field and through the 'rat run'. Good fun.
ski holidays
All packed up and ready for early morning departure tomorrow Sad Freeze -thaw conditions last night followed by wet and light snow this morning. It's snowing proper snow now so anyone coming in the next few days will have a nice wee covering of fresh snow. Very Happy Had a good week despite the busy pistes and a few long queues but we did stay mostly on the reds with the exception of coming back to apartment. You definitely had to have your wits about you then. Roll on next year Very Happy
snow conditions
ruthie, glad you had a great time.
If you're driving down the mountain, put your chains on in the garage otherwise you may not get up the slope from the apartment block.

Who's the next tenant rob@rar? wink
snow conditions
Taken from the Altiport Bar
snow report
looking up to the Grand Col
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy