Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1800 - ongoing trip reports!! The next installments!! Now with added photos!

Poster: A snowHead
Well today started dull (and that was just me Embarassed ), but the snow remained excellent after a 2-3cm overnight top-up.
A quick trip down into 1800 on the bus to the Spar mainly to pick up some batteries from my Satnav mileage device, was followed by some beautiful fresh baguette for breakfast.
After yesterday's debacle witn iscream's goggles, Richard E felt that in the interests of marital harmony, the purchase of a sensible, functional pair was in order. Unfortunately, the first pair that she saw were Oakleys and he now has a much lighter pocket rolling eyes
While the purchase was going on, Mrs Paellahead and I headed off via the Vagere chair, Charmettoger, a bit of Reches and Plan Bois to Derby. We had decided to circle Derby and meet iscream and Richard E there. We had done Renard once and Bellette twice by the time that they arrived, and had come to the conclusion that Bellette was probably within iscream's range now. She did Renard first (as a warm-up) - which was not especially easy due to the vast numbers of bodies - skicshools and novices - and then on to Bellette. I have to report that iscream did her first top-to-bottom red Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Filled with elation, we decided that a celebratory hot chocolate rolling eyes was in order so we Made our way to the Blanche Muree restaurant via the top bit of Bellette and Access Transarc. The sun was starting to come out so we sat on the terrace - we thought that we were only going to have a drink but it was mid-day and the sun was out, the view was delightful - and the Plat du Jour was a superb lasagne - so we stayed a little longer than intended Embarassed iscream was celebrating another first - skiing to a mountain restaurant and eating out on the terrace Very Happy
After lunch we decided to head left on the map, skiing down to 1800 the lower bits of Charmettoger and Grands Melezes and thus avoiding the delights of Maitaz Evil or Very Mad
Up Vagere, across the upper bit of Grand Melezes to the Grand Renard lift. The weather was coontinuing to improve and as the afternoon proceeded the weather progressed gradually to full sunshine Very Happy
Then down via Dents du Peigne, Edelweiss and Cascades to the Comborciere chair.
The Comborciere chair is a slow old three-seater but proceeds up through some of the most beautiful and spectacular scenery and is and absolute "must" for anybody visiting les Arcs IMHO. In the partial shade of the mountains to the left with the sun behind, today it was at its absolute best Very Happy
Comborciere leads to the top of Belvedere and the view from here is also spectacular especially as you overlook the top of the Deux Tetes (two rocky outcrops). We went back to the scene of yesterday's successes - up Clocheret and then down via combinations of Clapet (blue) and Clocheret (red) - iscream felt bold enough to ski the top part of Clapet on her own (while the rest of us skied Clocheret) and then we skied Clocheret together for the bottom part. We enjoyed it so much we did it twice Very Happy
We skied down a bit more of Belvedere to the bottom of the Arpette lift, then up and down combinations of Clair Blanc and Arpette. By this stage iscream was looking slightly cream crackered, so she and Richard E proceeded down a bit more of Belvedere and Chantel to the Tandem bar in les Alpages. The new owners are extremely welcoming and already treating us like old friends Embarassed
Mrs Paellahead and I meanwhile did not feel completely skied out, so went up Arpette again to ski Col des Frettes - Mrs P surprised me by skiing it top-to-bottom without stopping Shocked
We then joined our fellow skiers at the Tandem rolling eyes
Another great day Madeye-Smiley - and for the mileage nerds (that includes me) - 21.7 miles for Mrs P and I

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-02-10 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a differnece a day makes (and a pair of OAKLEY goggles Very Happy Very Happy ) I now have to wear them all the time (says he who must be obeyed) including in bed rolling eyes I have come to the conclusion i am much better in the morning and the skiing down the red run proved that, I had lots of instruction today and i can report that the speed has improved, parallel turns are getting better all the time especially on the less steep slopes, i can turn down the fall line without going into complete panic mode and although i have fallen over a few times during the day, i have laughed, got up by myself dusted my self off and carried on skiing. All in all its been a great day, i have to stop now as Mrs P is cooking dinner and giving me the evil eye as she is trying to lay the table, oh and by the way she is a bit worried that she has not posted anything but she has been to be busy keeping us all organised (not really but she is my sisiter and she made me say that)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
iscream, sounds fantastic. Well done. who's in the apartment next week? I hope we shall hear all about their adventures. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
who's in the apartment next week?

Nobody. I was hoping to get out for a few days myself, but lots of lessons at The Snow Centre to be taught, so business comes before pleasure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
iscream, sounds fantastic. Well done. who's in the apartment next week? I hope we shall hear all about their adventures. snowHead

Yes it would be good if the apartment blogging carries on, but I do enjoy Rob's blogs and feel I have now experienced many of things I have read about.

We have just finished a lovely dinner, cooked in the apartment by the Paellahead's, confit de canard and potatoes roasted in the duck fat with garlic, ohhhhhhhhhhhh delicious Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I have been videoing the week (Christmas present) and feel so frustrated that I cannot share some of the highlights at prsent, but maybe once we are home I can sort out the technology.

Freddie Paellahead and iscream have covered the highlights of the day already in their posts so I am left to mop up a few special moments that they didn't cover. Iscream has a tendency to forget things before we set off each morning arriving at the boot room with some item of ski wear missing - this morning it was her ski socks Shocked

I have always thought skiing holidays have been predominently about skiing. Skiing with iscream and her sister Mrs Paellahead I realise that the skiing has to be complemented by special places to stop for various hot and alcoholic drinks, gourmet lunches and afternoon drinkees. rolling eyes rolling eyes I must say this is a rather lovely way to 'relax' the skiing Toofy Grin I suppose the best example of this is Freddie Paellahead's piste map which has been specially anotated with the best bars and restuarants. We have therefore been planning tomorrow's skiing around breaks mid morning, lunch and mid afternoon stops - this is very civilized.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Freddie Paellahead, Could you please check your PM's - I'm pretty sure we've left some gear in the appt. and wonder if you could help please? Cheers Very Happy

Great day of firsts on todays Blog, well done iscream. I think you might benefit from running through the check list I do for the Minimum's - to whit: underwear (we have gone down without it on), jumpers, fleeces, balaclavas (have been forgotten), buffs, gloves (Ditto), helmets, ski pants (done this one too), socks, ski jackets, snow skirts done up, ski boots, goggles, lift passes (now left permanantly in jackets)!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SORRY THIS POST WAS FROM RICHARD E WE FORGOT TO LOG OFF

iscream wrote:
pam w wrote:

Yes it would be good if the apartment blogging carries on, but I do enjoy Rob's blogs and feel I have now experienced many of things I have read about.

We have just finished a lovely dinner, cooked in the apartment by the Paellahead's, confit de canard and potatoes roasted in the duck fat with garlic, ohhhhhhhhhhhh delicious Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I have been videoing the week (Christmas present) and feel so frustrated that I cannot share some of the highlights at prsent, but maybe once we are home I can sort out the technology.

Freddie Paellahead and iscream have covered the highlights of the day already in their posts so I am left to mop up a few special moments that they didn't cover. Iscream has a tendency to forget things before we set off each morning arriving at the boot room with some item of ski wear missing - this morning it was her ski socks Shocked

I have always thought skiing holidays have been predominently about skiing. Skiing with iscream and her sister Mrs Paellahead I realise that the skiing has to be complemented by special places to stop for various hot and alcoholic drinks, gourmet lunches and afternoon drinkees. rolling eyes rolling eyes I must say this is a rather lovely way to 'relax' the skiing Toofy Grin I suppose the best example of this is Freddie Paellahead's piste map which has been specially anotated with the best bars and restuarants. We have therefore been planning tomorrow's skiing around breaks mid morning, lunch and mid afternoon stops - this is very civilized.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good morning blog-readers.
Sunshine this morning with hazy cloud.
so we're looking forward to getting out.
Tonight we're planning ot eat out in 1800 - does anybody have any recommendations?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
... I think you might benefit from running through the check list I do for the Minimum's - to whit: underwear (we have gone down without it on), jumpers, fleeces, balaclavas (have been forgotten), buffs, gloves (Ditto), helmets, ski pants (done this one too), socks, ski jackets, snow skirts done up, ski boots, goggles, lift passes (now left permanantly in jackets)!!! Laughing
But the Minimums are 7 and 10 yrs respectively. wink Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier, the Social Workers are probably on their way already Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Really enjoying all the news from Les Arcs as we will be in Robs apartment for half term! Furiously taking notes of all the best places for hot choc etc. much to my son's dismay. Not sure we will be able to keep up the excellent standard of the last two bloggers but will try and give it a go. Stayed in the apartment last year and it was fantastic hence the return visit. It was also our first visit to Les Arcs and we all really loved it but visibility was bad for the first 5 days with the sun only appearing on the last day. Upside was there was lovely fresh powder.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard E wrote:
Iscream has a tendency to forget things before we set off each morning arriving at the boot room with some item of ski wear missing - this morning it was her ski socks Shocked

only, because she is so much in awe Little Angel of your skiing skills and she is overcome with the emotions regarding her companions TLC and cooking skills

Quote:
I have always thought skiing holidays have been predominantly about skiing. Skiing with iscream and her sister Mrs Paellahead is very civilized.

there , you have just given yourself the right answer Cool ,
not a commando training camp for forces sent to Afghanistan , is it ? wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I have always thought skiing holidays have been predominantly about skiing. Skiing with iscream and her sister Mrs Paellahead is very civilized.

there , you have just given yourself the right answer Cool ,
not a commando training camp for forces sent to Afghanistan , is it ? wink[/quote]

Definitely not a commando training camp and today's two hour lunch at La Fumee Belliou was hardly camp kitchen Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good day today, the sun was shining yet again and the pistes still really good in the morning and a little icy in places later in the day.

Mrs Paellahead has been feeling a little under the weather today so we have tried to take it easy (at least with the skiing). Took a trip up the Aiguille Rouge cable car to take in the views of Mont Blanc and the rest of the Alps really - it was lovely visibility so a really great photo opportunity, just sorry we can't share these photos at present but once home we will. We skied down arandelieres, leaving iscream to take the cable car back and met up again at the cable car station. Not good for me as I took out a sweet French lady who just appeared at the edge of the piste without warning Embarassed After much oh la la's and me being most apologetic and contrite, we parted on good terms, although I did hear her saying to her friends somethiong about 'les anglais'. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

We skied down to have lunch at La Fumee Belloiu (not sure of spelling). I am going to leave Freddie Paellahead to give a more expansive description of the meal but for those gourmets amoung you this was a real treat, the food was outstanding and the views were lovely as we sat outside down to our inner layers in warm sunshine.

After lunch, quite frankly I found it difficult to move for ten minutes or so - just as well we took the long chair lift up to Col du la Chal to let lunch digest. We then skied all the runs from that point (several times) to work off the calories. This was all the better as the weather has been quite magnificent with wall to wall sunshine for most of the day Very Happy . For our final runs back to the bar near our apartment iscream and Mrs Paellahead took the Grand Melezes and Freedie Paellahead and me had some fun on Vagere.

There's so much more to tell but I must leave something for the others wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard E, Sounds like a great day, can't wait for the rest of the installments.
snow conditions
Poor Mrs P was
Quote:

under the weather

at about 5 am this morning - for no good reason - the rest of us had eaten exactly the same food and have been fine. She assures me that no more Little Paellaheads are imminent rolling eyes
Despite this, she decided to take the day a run at a time, and as a result she skied the whole day but is now in bed sleeping.
We started the day in the same way as the last two - up Vagere across to Grand Renard lift and then down Dents de Peigne and Edelweiss, a nice easy warm-up. Since the forecast for the next two days is for lots of snow (and less visibility) we took the decision to make today our Aiguille Rouge day - unfortunately we were not unique with these thought processes Shocked
Up Marmotte and Varet was fine but then a half-hour queue for the Aiguille Rouge cable car was "less good" (I have to say that this has been our only queue of the week Very Happy ). One thing that really p'd me off was the business of Ski School punters being allowed to jump most of the queue. Since a trip up in your lesson is almost exclusively for the purposes of "sight-seeing" and not "learning", I am a bit at a loss as to why they get priority (this is not a view that I hold for "normal" lifts, espeically if I am paying for the lesson Embarassed )
The views from the top were superb and worth the effort, however. Mrs P and I were last up here in 1999 and (unsurprisingly rolling eyes ) the viewing maintains an intense experience.

For the descent, iscream had decided beforehand (wisely) to not tackle an unknown red, so she came down in the cable car while the rest of us tackled Arondelieres down to the top of the Varet lift where the party was united again, only to divide once more into Mrs P and I skiing the rest of Arondelieres while iscream and Richard E did Vallee de l'Arc. Richard E's description of his collision does him no justice. He was on the piste (admittedly travelling uphill with his momentum) when the French lady set off from off the piste into him Evil or Very Mad
One of the things that has impressed me about les Arcs this week, is how often a lift will serve both at least one red run and one blue.
One of the things that has completely failed to impress me today is the quality of the punters skiing - Mrs P has had a couple of near misses and also somebody ski (at speed) over the front of her skis Evil or Very Mad Those of you that have seen her ski will know that she is a very solid skier with very predictable and even turns so there really is no excuse for this IMHO.
We had decided earlier in the week, after a very adequate lunch at la Pre au Gourmand, that we "had to" try out the next-door much swisher La Fumee Belliou. So we went via 1950 and Cascades and turned up (without a reservation) at 12.15. Good timing Very Happy , by 12.30 the place was full. We decided to only have a main course each (partly in view of the prices, and partly because of Mrs P's stomach). The service was delightful and the food plentiful and first class, only made better by a gorgeous pretty sunny terrace. Don't order a main if you're not hungry (as Mrs P found to her cost Embarassed ).

After lunch we had decided to explore the Arcabulle/Plagnettes runs, so went up Pre St Esprit. We have noticed that the liaisons between lifts in 2000 are not the best, and while I experimented by skiing down to the bottom of Marmottes and up again, the other three walked to the bottom of the Arcabulle. My way was slower but, I suspect, more enjoyable Very Happy .
The Arcabulle lift seemed to be having a bad day and stopped three times on the way up so we only used it once, using Plagnettes to circle. Mrs P and her sister went down Plan des Eaux while Richard E and I scooted down Teppes. We decided to cheekily head back up Plagnettes again while the ladies were tootling down the blue, but were embarassed to be able to see that they had reached the bottom of Plagnettes just as we reached the top Embarassed
So, full throttle down Plagnettes, but we were still in the dog house Embarassed
Up Plagnettes again for the ladies to do Plan des Eaux again while the gents did Tuffes - we decided that discretion was the better part of valour on this occasion and waited for them at the bottom rolling eyes
Mrs P was starting to wilt after her exertions of the early hours so we decided to start heading home via the rest of Plan des Eaux and up Bois de l'Ours. We followed Arpette to the top of Vagere and then split again, the the ladies taking Grands Melezes and the gents taking Vagere.
We stopped in 1800 to do a little shopping (in a minute I've got to write seven postcards rolling eyes) then up Chantel to cut our way back to the customary welcome from Olivier and Sandrine at the Tandem bar. By this time the sun had largely disappeared behind some high haze and snow is expected imminently.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-02-10 22:08; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I have learnt today that towards the end of the week some skiers feel the need to hurtle down the slopes without any consideration for anyone else, this lesson i learnt quite early on when i was taken out by a Frenchman who clipped my skis. Fortunately i don't let a little thing like that put me off and i was soon back on my skis. We have also seen more people being carried off the slopes today which fits in with my first comment. Crying or Very sad
I have been consoldating my skiing today and i am getting faster and even the steeper slopes are becomming less of a problem. We missed out on coffee today but the lunch and the view from the top of the Aiguille Rouge made up for it and for the records my sisters lack of form today was not due to over indulgence last night :roll:despite what you might hear from anyone else. I'm not sure i am looking forward to skiing while it's snowing tomorrow but i have to put the new goggles to use and we cannot really complain about the glorious weather we have had so far this week.
latest report
Living vicariously through your great blogs is a good way to fill the time between visits - Keep them coming!

I see from your posts you keep going down Cascades, it really is a lovely little run but with the Pre St Esprit "Express lift" ( where's the irony emoticon?) as your only way back to the 2000 bowl, it is a bit of a shame. (if busy we usually get the bus from the back of Belliou - it is statistically quicker than a 15 min. wait if the q is large)

You said one day you were intending to stop in at La Bolle in 1950, but skied past :- you should try and pop in - the crepes are very, very good, and besides, Jose would be disappointed if I didn't say that!

Yes we all complain about the walk / flat from Pre St Esprit to Arcabuille - they were supposed ly doing somethign about hit this summer, but I ahven't seen any evidence - as you say, MArmottes is a more pleasnt bet.

But enjoy your last days and we're loving you let us share. Thank-you.

J
ski holidays
It sounds like you had a busy day today - a lot of distance covered. That was something we didn't have so much time for - having to come back to 1800 to pick up from ski school each lunchtime limited the distance that could be covered.

Aiguille Rouge was packed the day we went up - we found that queue as well. There was also a lot of people at that middle station watching the ski/kite jumping as well. It was that even that had closed the Vallee de l'arc - We saw several skiers that had skied the first 100yds before realising it was closed that didn't like the look of that first pitch of arandelieres from the that midstation location that walked back to the gondola for the return trip.

I was very pleased to be able to say that I did have a crack at the entire length of Aiguille Rouge from the top - some of it wasn't awfully stylish, but at least I can say I got down it which did oodles for my confidence..

Are your group planning to go over on the VE at some point? Its a good trip, and there is some really good skiing for intermediates in La plagne.
snow report
JimW wrote:

I see from your posts you keep going down Cascades, it really is a lovely little run but with the Pre St Esprit "Express lift" ( where's the irony emoticon?) as your only way back to the 2000 bowl, it is a bit of a shame. (if busy we usually get the bus from the back of Belliou - it is statistically quicker than a 15 min. wait if the q is large)

We all agree about the speed rolling eyes of the Pre St Esprit lift but thankfully (so far) we have never experienced a queue. Smile
snow conditions
JimW, we now only have two days left to try La Bolle but hopefully we will be able to call in and say hello to Jose.

Megamum, very well done for skiing the entire length of the Aiguille Rouge, did it take long?
ski holidays
Richard E, How are the legs doing when you have to use Chantel? I thought ruefully of my unemployed brother who is a welder back home and how he could make everyone's life much easier on there just by welding on some foot rests when I was on there. Mind you I didn't really mind the slow lifts - I found watching other people skiing very useful - spotting what good people were doing different to less experienced folks was quite educational - getting in my mind what a good skier should look like etc.
latest report
Mmmm, I head out to Les Arcs in two weeks and hearing about you all taking on the runs I know well, and look forward to riding, is really helping building up the excitement!

Whilst the Pre St Esprit lift is slow - I personally have never minded. From an Arc 1600 morning start via Cachette, Belevedere to Arpette lift to lac to eidelwiess to cascades to Pre-St Esprit lift (this now being know as the 'Morning Run') - the Pre-St Esprit lift allows plenty of time to alleviate the first foot and leg pains of the day (and chew on a Snickers for post breakfast snack!)

As I 'normally' eat in the 'Pie Huts' dotted round Les Arcs - in 10 years of going on a lads trip, I've rarely stopped for a proper lunch on the hill. In two weeks time thou, I head out with my family and a good friends family. It should be a more leisurely affair, and hoping to stop for a few nice lunches (particularly as this year I get back on ski's after many years of boarding) Can you post your top recommendations at the end of the week?

I know a recognise where most of them are, just never eaten in them to know which ones serve up a decent lunch!
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Richard E, How are the legs doing when you have to use Chantel?

We just use Chantel once at the end of the day to get us back to the bar/apartment so this has not been a problem for us, but I can see your point if you were using it a lot each day.
ski holidays
Richard E, We tended to use it twice each day - once after picking up the kids from the top of Arc Adventures ski garden - then scoot across via villards and then up Chantel and back to the appt. for lunch (I am a budget holiday skier at the moment), then again at the end of the day to get back for evening meal. That was enough on the legs!! Transarc was our regular first lift due to dropping the kids off there for ski school. When I win the lottery I have promised myself lunch on the slopes everyday Very Happy

Parts of Aiguille rouge took long - there was one really narrow rat run close to the top that was mogulled up in the afternoon and packed with people , that was more or less a side slip/side step - theres the first zigzag path, that ends on the black section, then another little bit and then this rat run area (not an easy ski), apart from that I skied most of it at a reasonable pace - didn't straight line it, but skied it as quick as a S turns skier might - odd pauses for breath, but it didn't take too long considering the slope.
snow conditions
N.B. I've put some footage of the Minimums having fun last week here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61276
ski holidays
Hey!

Im after an apartment this xmas for 2 weeks if any of you guys have one? Please get in touch!

Sorry for the shameless hijack of the thread wink

Chris
snow conditions
Megamum, what lovely videos and such great memories of your week in Les Arcs. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard E, have you been snowed upon today?
snow conditions
Well today lived up to the weather forecast, visability was poor and it snowed for most of the day, we even had to have an early coffee stop to get out of the blizzard conditions at the L'arpette restaurant where no alcohol was consumed only hot chocolate due to conditions (first time all week) Note to Freddie Paellahead Mrs P badly in need of new goggles due to extreme misting and she would like the same ones as mine of course. Despite my fears of skiing in extreme conditions i have to say i quite enjoyed it and it actually improved my skiing, i went down a red run parrell turning quite confidently for me. The snow was almost off piste at times with lots of interesting bumps but to have survived the day w.as a great sence of achievement and as Mrs F said to may at various times during the day you have to be able to ski in the bad conditions as well as the good
This will probable be my last post of the holiday as we are off home tomorrow so in true Oscar Style i would like to thank my very patient instructors and everyone who has contributed to our thread this week with words of encouragement.
latest report
iscream, brilliant. Did you think you'd be skiing red runs in awful weather by the end of the week??? snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
iscream, It's probably too late to help Mrs P, but in case it helps others I had huge success last week trying what I have often suggested (something I've not ever had to in anger before) - that is, I polished the outside and inside of the lenses with the nearest dishwashing liquid - rubbed it over them and then polished them up with clean cloths. I was pleased to find it lived up to expectations. I had a bad first day when I didn't use it, but then I tried it and was really pleased with the results. It lasted at least a day and would do most of a second day, but I found it was better to renew it every day. Hope this helps someone - NB. Freddie paellahead - its cheaper than a set of Oakleys wink
ski holidays
Last night we went to bed having spent the evening looking out through the curtains wondering why the promised snow had not started, and when we woke this morning to find all of 1cm of fresh we were a little disappointed Sad
Our plan for the day was to end up at la Bolle in 1950 for a crepe lunch. We thought that we would start by taking a photo of the apartment from the slopes, so up Chantel and down Gollet towards 1600. Initially there were a few flakes of snow but as we meandered down Gollet the snow became a bit heavier. We spotted a large group of houses with pointy roofs on the 1800 side of 1600 and thought that they looked very snug and cosey, with log fires and timber frames.
In 1600 we picked up the Combettes chair to enable us to drop down into the main part of the village and then up Cachettes. On Cachettes, the weather started to deteriorate with heavier fine snow and a strong wind from the left. At the top, we had planned to ski Belvedere to pick up the Arpette lift, but at that point it was blowing a bit of a hooley, so we withdrew into the Arpette self-service for a hot chocolate and a warm up.
We decided that the Plan Peisey side was the place to be in these conditions to get some shelter from the wind and some trees for orientation, so went all the way down Belvedere to pick up the Charmettoger lift. By this stage it was snowing heavily.
The forecasts (metchek and meteo France) had led us to believe that it would snow mainly before mid-day, and metchek had predicted the magnificent total of 2.5cm - it was "incorrect" - it is still snowing heavily now and at least 25cm have fallen rolling eyes
The change of plan meant a change of lunch plan. We had been trying to find la Vache in Peisey earlier in the week, and following texts with genepi now knew exactly where to look - but it would involve the red Combe and we weren't sure if this was "suitable" for iscream so off the top of the Charmettoger lift, Mrs P and I set out to find out while iscream and Richard E went and circled Derby using Belette. We also went up Derby and then cut across via Renard to the top of Combe.
We found Combe delightful - a fairly constant moderately steep pitch, not especially wide, and with several centimetres of fresh snow just to make it interesting - but not suitable for iscream we eventually decided Sad . We came back into Peisey via Retour Combe - which initially was a well-marked blue piste - which then disappeared Shocked - apparently there is a land dispute going on - but it was delightful to do some "old fashioned" skiing following other skiers' tracks through people's back gardens Embarassed
We went up via Peissey and then cut across to the bottom of Derby using Foret. There we used our talky-walkies (why are some people so anti them? - they are so useful at times) to ascertain that Richard E and iscream were near the top of Belette, so Mrs P and I went up Derby and planned to join them at some point low down on Belette - but the time that we had scooted down, they were at the bottom Shocked
iscream was feeling very confident about reds with soft snow on them, so after a short tootle along a bit of Foret and a bit of Retour Plan Peisey, we decided to tackle a (previously untried by us) Ourson and then Ours into Plan Peisey. The snow on these runs was absolutely superb, a firm base with oodles of soft gentle lumps to play with Very Happy .
Le Solan restaurant beckoned, and as we were parking our skis, a red jacket passed that I thought I recognised - it was stiff drink and genepi was behind me. They had been going back to their apartment, but were easily persuaded to lunch with us (even though they had a reservation there for this evening as well rolling eyes ) - a thoroughly delicious Onion Soup au Gratin was had by most of us - and after lunch we went to have a look at the apartment that they co-own with genepi's brother - it made us really think what an excellent investment a shared apartment in the Alps might be Idea
It was continuing to snow heavily and we felt that, discretion being the better part of valour, we should start to head "home" - so up Peissey, cut across to the 2300 lift, then cut across again to Renard and then down Maitaz from the bottom of Derby. Mrs P was whinging about the poor visibility rolling eyes before she realised that it was that the inside of her goggles steaming up - she clearly was angling for a new pair like her sister, but I thought it would be cheaper to just wipe them with some Kleenex - and buy some proper goggles from the Oakely outlet shop at Gunwharf when we are home rather than payin full-price Very Happy . It turns out that the last bit of Maitaz is both genepi's and iscream's least favourite bit of les Arcs - a real "bomb alley" with too many skiers of too varied ability levels converging on a little narrowish steep bit - not ideal rolling eyes
We finished by going up Chantel (for the second time today rolling eyes ) and then back to the Tandem for two vin chaud each, following which Olivier decided that we needed further fortifying with a "Springbok" each (a layer of Creme de Menthe with a layer of Baileys on top) before the last off-piste adventure to the apartment. There was enough snow that I skied along the road Shocked and a BMW had to avoid me Twisted Evil
It's still snowing heavily Very Happy
snow conditions
Megamum, we'll give the washing up liquid a go Very Happy
ski holidays
Freddie Paellahead, what a great day. Can't think why the forecasts were so conservative when the GFS was so adamant we were going to have a good fall - which is still going on. I've been apartment clearing/cleaning/organising today but it's my birthday tomorrow so have promised myself a few hours out in the morning, before we escape the coming half term hordes.

You seem to have had a most successful week. thanks for the blog. snowHead
snow report
pam w, happy birthday for tomorrow Smile snowHead hope you have a great day.
snow report
Glad you all had a great time today - I find its fun to play with the fresh snow - you've landed just as we did, getting your reasonably decent dump of the white fluffy stuff so close to leaving time - its not fair is it?

Tell the ladies I agree with them that Maitaz is not the faint hearted - its looks so incuous but as you say is prime example of how other skiers can be more of a danger than the slope itself. If you then decide to drop down to Transarc from where it joins that last section at the wrong time of day its worst than the M25 - that steeper last section catching out many beginners and them being swamped by the couldn't care less and lets bomb through it all without looking mob. Crossing to Villards/Chantel across and through that melee is like taking your life in your hands Shocked .
latest report
Last day tomorrow and then home on the night train for iscream and me. Sad Sad

Iscream and I had never really skied on fresh powder before so today was a different experience. It has helped me understand why people rave about it so much. Even skiing in such poor visibility was great fun. snowHead

This week has been fun and good for us in different ways. Iscream has made progress on the slopes and I have taken pleasure from seeing her progress - as Freddie Paellahead said 'this will be a good investment'. We have both seen a different side to a skiing trip which has placed importance on the skiing, but also the whole experience (I guess I mean the social side, eating, drinking and apres).

From what I have seen during this week I think the Les Arcs villages are good skiing resorts, but I guess the same is true for the other neighbouring villages of Vallandry and Plan Peisey, perhaps more of a community atmosphere in these villages than Les Arcs.
latest report
Skiing is over Sad Sad Sad Sad
Today we woke to blue skies but this rapidly turned to cloud and light snow. We had decided that since this was our last day, we had better make sure that we made it over to la Bolee at 1950.
Over the last 24hrs there had been about 20cm of snow, and the pisteurs had clearly struggled to get everything prepared for the morning. We had decided to alter our usual morning route, so afer going up Vagere, we headed left planning to pick up Arpette, Mrs P and I on Fontaine Froide and Richard E and iscream on Clair Blanc. Unfortunately, when we got to the bottom of the Arpette, although it was running, they weren't letting anybody on (we wondered if it was anything to do with the snow blasting that we could here in the distance) though they expected it to open within the next hour. SO we skied back down to the bottom of Vagere via Belvedere.
The second time off the top of Vagere rolling eyes we all took Clair Blanc down and were fianlly able to go up Arpette. We took Edelweiss initially, and as soon as we entered the 2000 bowl we started to hear avalanche blasting. We decided to divert down the gulley bit of Lac and iscream excelled herself by calmly skiing down. The gulley reminded Mrs P and I of a half-length Santons (in VDI) and we could imagine that it must be quite unpleasant if busy or slushy (as Santons has been invariably at Easter when we have stayed in TIgnes) Evil or Very Mad
We picked up Marmottes at the bottom planning to go up Arcabulle, but with Varet out of action (due to the avalanche risk we surmised) we were not alone in this plan Shocked A rapid re-think resulted in us heading down to 1950 early to go to la Bolee Very Happy The galettes and crepes were superb - yet another excellent snowHead recommendation. During lunch the snow started to fall, initially small flakes and then increasing amounts of very picturesque large flakes.
After our early lunch we found our way down to the bottom of Marmottes and then across to Arcabulle (no queue by now as it was lunch-time Very Happy ). While going up the lift, the weather started to close in more, and we decided that it was time to cross the ridge back into the 1800 area. The visibility at this stage was poor with snow falling and completely flat light, and iscream was therefore not impressed by being taken down an unkown (to us) red (Grand Renard) nad having to rapidly learn to ski with feet alone. The only lifts that seemed to be open at this point were the liaison lifts - Villards and Transarc, with Grand Renard and Vagere closed.
Eventually we were able to find Grand Melezes and wend our way back down into 1800 and could see that Chantel was also functional and Vagere coming back on-stream.
There was some discussion rolling eyes at this point as to who would do what next, and eventually it was decided that Mrs P and iscream would circle Chantel while Richard E and I circled Vagere.
We decided to try out the reds off the top sequentially - Golf had clearly not been pisted overnight and by now had oodles of soft powder making for fairly hard work - Vagere had been pisted in the morning and was a hoot, and Carreley was suprisingly mogully at the bottom. The visbility remained extremely variable. We met up again with the ladies, and iscream had decided that she had had enough so retired to the Tandem bar and the kind ministrations of Olivier and Sandrine, while the three of us went up Vagere for one last time and came down via Fontaine Froide, Belvedere and Chantel to the Tandem, where we joined iscream for a celebratory vin chaud Very Happy (we'll be back there later to watch the rugby, and despite staying in a Welsh person's apartment will be supporting the home team rolling eyes )
View from the apartment this evening:

We have greatly enjoyed our stay in les Arcs.
My impressions:
I liked the amount of tree skiing.
The pistes were generally well linked (exception being Arc 2000 low down)
Several excellent restaurants:
Au Pre Gourmand and la Fumee Belliou at the bottom of Cascades, la Bolee in 1950, le Solan in Peisey and la Blanche Muree near the top of the Vllandry lift.
A very friendly couple as proprietors of the Tandem Bar in Chantel (with good fresh home-made pizzas)

May the next snowHead s in les Arcs enjoy it as much as we did Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 7-02-10 22:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, glad you all had such a wonderful time. I've been impressed your your precise recall of the pistes and lifts you journeyed on each day (as well as menu choices). I rarely get beyond "up that one" and "down there, then across to the other one" level of detail, not least because I know the names of hardly any of the lifts and pistes Embarassed

When Wales win will you promise not to smash the place up? Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy