Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Apache Xplorer Vs. K2 Apache Recon... need help With Deciding

Poster: A snowHead
First of all , hey fellow snowheads ! Smile
I have a dillema here, planning to buy k2 allmountain ski, the thing is i have to go for a Recon or Xplorer, can't seem to decide yet. Hope you guys can help out Smile

I'm 179cm tall , 65 kg, an avarage skier, not a pro yet. Been skiing on groomed hard snow for 4 years now, want to try powder and at the same time go for grommed aswell.

Gottoa decide which one to buy till Friday cuz planning to head for the mountains this weekend.

Place i plan to ski at looks like this, a paradise for powder lovers Smile
Ty in advance and sry for my spelling. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-01-10 22:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowfoot,
Welcome to Snowheads.

Looks excellent.

Haven't tried the xplorer, but i've used recon for a day or so. found the recon pretty good, although I prefered the Volkl acs, and Atomic crimson.

Sorry not much help..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All IMHO:

Recon is decidely piste these days. <80 underfoot IIRC.

Explorer is the true all mountain now and supposedly turns as sharp as the Recon anyway.

I haven't tried both though so will bow out quietly...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had Recons for about 10 weeks on the snow and they haven't let me down yet. Piste, side piste and full powder have all been dealt with very effectively. Can't comment specifically on the Xplorer having not used them, but the decider should be how much on/off piste you'll be; more than half on piste get Recons, more than half in powder get Xplorer.

ps, your spelling is better than half the shower on here, don't worry.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have had Recons for 4 years, great all mountain ski and surprisingly good on piste. Just bought some Xplorer's, limited use so far this season, but I really like them. They perform in a similar manner to the Recons on piste, but with the extra width they seem to give a bit more float in powder/crud. It depends on what you mainly ski, but I would go for the Xplorer's
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowfoot, My OH was convinced he wanted Recons, but when he skied them he wasn't so sure. I found a bargain set of Explorers for him, and he just loves them, and his skiing has improved loads since getting them. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have experience with the recon, but i now have Xplorers. they can do anything the recon can do on piste, but a whole lot more off it. They really are excellent skis and i can't see any point in the recon when they have the xplorer in the line.

this is me skiing the xplorers in a few inches of powder at cairngorm

in these conditions, the ski responded very well and i was able to attack the fall line with confidence... they just plough through any ruts, crud etc and stick to their line. confidence inspiring.

my next skis will be wider yet, but as a tool to enable progression from the pistes to off piste and more into the back country, they excel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DONT BUY K2 SKIS!!!!!! I bought a brand new pair of K2 Recons this year, 1st day, fresh overnight powder, hit 'something' on a turn and smashed the edges and SNAPPED, yes thats rights SNAPPED the core so that the wood was poking through the plastic top of the ski.

Best of all, this was directly underfoot, samck bang in the middle of the bindings, which is supposedly the strongest part of the ski. K2's UK distributers response, "not covered by warranty due to normal wear and tear", they didnt condemn the skis and advise not to use them, nor did they say they were in safe condition to use. i had skied these £500 pieces of poo-poo for only 2 HOURS when i had to ski 1 skied back to the car to get my old skis which i had brought with me just in case i didnt get on with the K2s.

after contacting K2s European HQ they said, we trust our distributers and will offer you discount on a new pair...well they can fcuk off. im not paying another £250 for another pair of skis which last another 2 hours. IMO stick to a pai of Volkls, my supersport 5s are now in their 5th season and havent let me down, even after worse punishment than the K2s.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CW041087, it's a shame you had a bad experience with K2. Obviously I don't know the full circumstances, but it does sound like it should be a warranty issue. I wouldn't say "Don't buy K2 skis!" though... I've used my K2 Apache Crossfires for several weeks and they've been superb!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll still consider K2s. Good thread guys - useful info - cheers!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CW041087, so you hit something hard enough to break the ski and it's the manufacturers fault?? I doubt *ANY* manufacturer would fix that under warranty, that's why you have ski insurance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
CW041087, so you hit something hard enough to break the ski and it's the manufacturers fault?? I doubt *ANY* manufacturer would fix that under warranty, that's why you have ski insurance.

+1.

CW041087, you crash your car on the way to the airport/slopes - is that a warranty job or an insurance job?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:

i wasnt skiing fast, i was on a narrow blue run following a beginner who was weaving a mazy track in front and it wasnt wide enough to pass so i was parallel turning to keep behind her. its not a case of me crashing my car on the way to the airport as someone previously commented but how would you comment if the brand new car you were drivings accelerator jammed on, or if when you pressed the brakes they didnt work?!?! i think that would be a warrenty issue, or has Toyota gor it wrong and people should be phoning Axa asking for a replacement instead? think about it..... how would respond if your brand new skis had been written off within 2 hours doing something which they were designed and built to do? or have you too much money and not enough sense so to just pop down to the shop and buy another pair? if so i'll send you my address
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about my Mantra's? - just posted them on sale on the forum, a far better proposition than K2's IMO.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CW041087, by your own admission you 'hit' something, apparently whilst in fresh overnight powder, or perhaps now it has become a blue run. If I hit something that destroyed my skis I would claim on my insurance, I have enough sense to buy insurance. To carry on your Toyata analogy I assume that the skis did not take off on their own and hit this mysterious object, nor, I assume, did the skis prevent you from swerving to avoid it? Yes I'd be gutted if my skis got shattered within 2 hrs of using them, but if I had hit something I would claim on insurance.....
ski holidays
Surprised if anyone skis without insurance????

What about if you needed air lifting out? Best £40 a week I spend in a trip I reckon, price of 4 apres-ski beers for piece of mind "when you need it its there" - I'd have it EVERY time!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
CW041087, by your own admission you 'hit' something, apparently whilst in fresh overnight powder, or perhaps now it has become a blue run. If I hit something that destroyed my skis I would claim on my insurance, I have enough sense to buy insurance.

the fresh powder was on the piste, ontop of the snow that had been groomed the night before. the facts havent changed, you're spin on the situation is trying to make it sound so however.

if you hit something which snapped a pair of skis would take this as acceptable? do you know how much pressure it takes to snap a pair of skis? it takes 20000lbs of pressure to snap a £20 ski pole so you would presume it would take more to snap a ski.

i do have insurance but thats not the point is it? why should i pay to claim when the product was inferior and did not live upto the expectations which it was sold as being able to perform? refer to the early reference to Toyota, should these people also claim?

kitenski, you sound like a council bureaucrat! or do you just import K2 skis?
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
CW041087, by your own admission you 'hit' something, apparently whilst in fresh overnight powder, or perhaps now it has become a blue run. If I hit something that destroyed my skis I would claim on my insurance, I have enough sense to buy insurance.

the fresh powder was on the piste, ontop of the snow that had been groomed the night before. the facts havent changed, you're spin on the situation is trying to make it sound so however.

if you hit something which snapped a pair of skis would take this as acceptable? do you know how much pressure it takes to snap a pair of skis? it takes 20000lbs of pressure to snap a £20 ski pole so you would presume it would take more to snap a ski.

i do have insurance but thats not the point is it? why should i pay to claim when the product was inferior and did not live upto the expectations which it was sold as being able to perform? refer to the early reference to Toyota, should these people also claim?

kitenski, you sound like a council bureaucrat! or do you just import K2 skis?
snow conditions
I'd be interested to see where you got the ski pole data from, as I highly suspect it is pretty damn easy to snap/bend/break a pole, in fact I know it's easy.

Skis brake, fact. You hit something with your ski, they're not indestructible. Why should the company pay for you're mistake, unless you can prove it was only a 'normal' impact with low force? You drive a car into a rock slowly and it buckles the metal - is that your fault or the manufacturers?
snow report
yes you can but when i took the ski to assess the damage to two ski shops in France they both asked, is the rider ok? as this level of damage should have thrown the person out of the bindings breaking their leg! when asked if they had ever seen damage like this their reply was once or twice a year when people lose control and fly into trees/ lift stantions! it was hardly a mistake, there are rocks on the mountain and skis are supposed to be designed to be able to withstand bumps, bangs and impacts. if i were using a tata nano to compete in the Dakar rally then yes, the tools don't fulfill the role and it would be my fault when i died therefore you use something designed for the purpose.

as for the ski pole, it says on the side of the pole, something like 'rated to 20000 psi', which isnt its diving pressure, and even if it was the force is still the same.
latest report
I skied on Recons for the past 3 or 4 years, switched to Explorers this season, and have found them to be fantastic.....

But then what do I know? I am a Toss pot, after all.....
ski holidays
CW041087, if you genuinely feel the ski was not fit for purpose, take it up with the shop you bought them from and failing that your local trading standards. Your warranty is with the retailer not the manufacturer, though retailers often rely on manufacturers/importers to sort things out.

Only you were there and only you know what really happened but my first impressions are that you were skiing along, clouted something and the ski broke. Tough. Upsetting but still tough, particularly as the ski was so new. Nothing posted since has changed my view but good luck sorting it out.

p.s. I don't have K2s and never have, although if I'd found them at the right price earlier this year I might have got some Xplorers.
ski holidays
Hi Higs, Just thought I'd let you know I replaced my Eliminators with some 184cm Xplorers. Get to try them out next week, so can post what I think about them when I get back. Demo'd them at chill factore a while ago, but looking forward to trying them on the mountain.
snow report
CW041087 start another thread, post some pictures, if my skis broke as badly as that whilst skiing pistes I'd be p*ssed off. If I hit something so hard that snapped the wooden core , then it's not the skis fault, it's either the driver for hitting said object, or the ski resort for not clearing such a big rock from the piste/marking it off.

Which is it?

Why do you have to pay to claim on your insurance?

I have nothing to do with K2s, but do as Higs, says if you feel that strongly.

In fact a quick scan of the K2 website shows:

What is Covered
Structural cracks on the top sheet, base, core, edge, sidewall due to a manufacturing defect.
Delaminating of top sheet, base, sidewall, edge, tip and tail due to a manufacturing defect.

What is Not Covered
Any problem resulting from impact, misuse, abuse, or neglect. This includes but is not limited to rail and rock damage.
Cosmetic issues including top sheet dents or chips, sun-faded graphics, and edge oxidation or rust.
Ski damage resulting from improper mounting of bindings, including the use of incorrect mounting hardware, or base dimples in the base as a result of improper mounting.
Damage caused by any modifications made outside of the K2 facility.
latest report
I tried some Xplorers at Hemel a few weeks ago, and compared to the other K2s I use (Omnisport previously, now Axis XT) they were fairly soft, riding over bumps nicely but I did wonder whether they would flap at speed.

If you're planning to do a bit of off piste they seem like a decent ski for that, plenty wide enough to float and definitely better for that than the narrower options in the K2 range. They're also not massively wide like some of the boats used for serious off piste, so should be fine for on piste stuff.

Best thing to do is give them a go, try a demo out or rent some for the week away, worth a small investment to find out if they really suit you.
ski holidays
Ive just sent back some 2009 K2 Crossfires with some blistering to the top sheet - K2 asked me to send them back and I heard back the next day that they would replace them under warranty - given that the skis were exactly 12 months old I have no complaints with K2 Warranty at all! The only problems is they sold out of CRossfires so I will have to have a pair of the 2011 K2 AMP chargers - isnt life a bitch !!!
latest report
From what i've seen and heard, K2 seem to be very good on the warranty side of things, from personal experience I love K2 and have a pair of crossfires in the same house and own a pair of hellbents, I am extremely pleased with how the crossfires topsheet has held up and even more pleased that my hellbent topsheet is in prime condition after a load of powder and a bit of park skiing in Italy..

I seem to be the only person in the world that's topsheet has held up! Laughing NehNeh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy