Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£1000 per person per week to ski abroad? Can YOU do it?

Poster: A snowHead
Axsman wrote:
masmith wrote:
Kel, yep, with you on that. I know someone who blew €450 in one night in Ischgl. Won't say how and won't say who

Is the clue in the question? wink Toofy Grin

Think I've said enough. It sounds like you have insider knowledge.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, I guess I might find something a hundred quid or so cheaper through a TO by waiting until the last minute, but since I meet up with ski buddies in resort, I book early to guarantee the right hotel in the right resort for the right week. That's an extra I'm willing to pay for the pleasure of their company.

To be honest though, even trawling through late deals, I don't think I've ever seen a solo person offer for under £450.

I've priced up the DIY alternative in the past but it's always much more expensive, usually it's the transfer costs that bump the price up. I don't like the idea of DIY much either, I'd rather be in the safe hands of the TO if flights get delayed or redirected or whatever. Basically I don't want to be stuck high and dry on my own somewhere with no one to help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am a single and do it for less- just - agree £1000 is a reasonable target to achieve- Good job I am a single - partner does not ski

This year in La Plagne 1800 booked a week ago
Chalet half board 259 (no single supp)
Transfers Free
Ski pass 200
Ski only hire (red) 45
Beer Money 120
Lunch skimp on 60
Train to airport 30
Easyjet flight was £68 had to change to diff date total £173 oouch
Insurance 15

£902 Best i could do this year even if booked sometime today leave in 10 days cannot et it cheaper
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia wrote:

To be honest though, even trawling through late deals, I don't think I've ever seen a solo person offer for under £450.

What are you including in that?

I've never paid as much as that, using late(ish) deals. But I don't have equipment hire because I have my own, so the deals I am going for are just flights, transfers, half board accommodation.

This year, I paid £418 for the Hotel Neuwirt in Kirchdorf travelling 9th January. Flight Gatwick-Salzburg. Crystal.

Last year, £375 for Hotel Blattlhof in Ellmau, travelling 21st march. Flight Manchester- Salzburg. Thomas Cook.

Year before £361 for hotel Brau in Zell Am Ziller, travelling 5th January. Flight Bristol - Innsbruck. Crystal.

All the above were booked between 6 and 10 weeks before travel. All decent sized single rooms.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, you've done well there. That's pretty much what I look for but I've only once done a late-ish booking which was Kitzbuhel March 2008 for £459, booked 8 weeks before departure flying East Mids to Salzburg. I always look for a Midlands departure, definitely not Gatwick.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Yes, Gatwick is my 5th choice airport - after Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham or Manchester. Manchester is about the same distance and driving time as Gatwick, but is an easier drive, and a more manageable airport.

But this year, for the trip I got, the others all had supplements of £60 or more Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, just sitting here idly surfing and eating my dinner and put a search into Iglu for the following:

March 6/7 departure, Midlands airport, France, Austria or Italy, one week's half board accommodation, single traveller. That's the week I'm going and obviously I'm already booked, it's purely hypothetical.

Cheapest result for Austria was £473 in Soll. Cheapest for Italy was Livigno at £560 and cheapest for France was £564 in Les Deux Alpes. So what I'm paying for my holiday is about right, judging by that. Maybe it's a more expensive week that I travel.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, no good with out links to the holiday wink
alex_heney, Gatwick is an airport from hell imv from this area Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My week in Sölden came to £912 including ski rental, ski pass and a week's worth of InsideOut ski coaching. OK need to add lunch and beer to that, but the total can't have been much more than £1000 (£800 if I hadn't had the coaching).

S6BB is currently running at about £800 + lunch+alcohol.

So that's 2 weeks @ ca. £1600 excluding tuition and lunch/booze. Does driving across 1 or 2 national borders count as "abroad"? Anyway return petrol is prolly about the same as a TO return flight or same on o'larys lot or EZY once you added extras, or Lufthansa with the free baggage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, That week is a little more expensive than 2nd week of January, yes.

Going direct to the Crystal site, and going through to the final price (including all supplements and ski carriage), I just found Scheffau (hotel Waldrand) for a total of £478 for that week. Bristol - Salzburg.

It will be cheaper a couple of weeks later, more in line with 2nd week of January prices.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a reason I travel that week. Easy for me to get the week off work. I could probably do January but not later in March, too close to Easter. It's also one of my ski buddies birthday that week which is always nice to have a celebration on holiday.

I think I'll stick to advance booking and being sure of getting the right resort the right week. Doesn't look like I'd ever save much by waiting for a last minute deal and I might end up missing out altogether.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
6 of us managed to do a trip to Are in Sweden for £450 basic. Flights from Birmingham to a local small airport, transfers, accom in a fantastic apartment and lift pass. It did help having a native Swede on the trip but it shows what you can do when you put your own trip together.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you've got your own gear, EOSB,

accom/lift pass £365

flights/transfer/ski carriage £150

meals £50 kitty in apt.

that leaves £435 for beer,

come on get on it snowHead s he he
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martone, Can't fault yer logic. I've been on every one... fantastic value and some great conditions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any one been to Abruzzo, nice article in the Guardian, and looks like 'gimme' when it come to having a weeks (nearly) ski holiday for less than £1,000

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jan/23/skiing-gourmet-cuisine-budget-abruzzo

Ryanair flies Stansted-Pescara. A five-day ski package including airport transfers, half-board accommodation, lift pass, equipment hire and ski bus costs €330 through associazionealbergatori5miglia.it (email:albergatori5migliaonlus@email.it), available Sunday-Friday until 2 April, excluding the first two weeks of February.
snow conditions
rayscoops, blimey! Never even heard of it and it sounds lovely. Shame none of the TOs go there although I expect that would ruin the price and the charm.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, If you are not too bothered about the traditional ski holiday 'apres scene' it looks fantastic, maybe a bit like staying in Brancian and skiing Serre Chev maybe, not that I have done so.
snow report
rayscoops, rayscoops, I think you probably mean Briancon wink
snow report
Quote:

Shame none of the TOs go there although I expect that would ruin the price and the charm.

Absolutely! Being in an area with no TOs has enormous advantages. It does indeed sound terrific. And my OH's favourite red plonk is Montelpulciano d'Abruzzo - no doubt found all over the area!

It sounds as though the local hoteliers have made it easy to put together a holiday there. Be good to swot up a few basic Italians lessons too. If I didn't already have an apartment in non-TO France, I'd definitely give it a go. I did enjoy a few days, some years ago, in a small italian hotel near Cortina where, as far as I could understand, no Brits had ever stayed before. Molto bene!
latest report
We did just under £1k pp for a week over Xmas 2009 with TO Ski-2.com to Champluc. Two adults, 2 children, very comfortable 4 star hotel in a lovely Italian village on half board and lunch vouchers at mountain restaurants, private transfer to/from nominated airport, all ski passes and ski/board hire for 2 adults and free ski hire for children. Also includes 6 days ski school for 3 hrs a day for one child, and 4 days creche for the other. Flights were on Lufthansa Italia to Milan Malpensa (2hr transfer to resort)

Skiwear for children (and myself) was reused from our first week on the slopes the year before and was from Tchibo or secondhand or borrowed.

Similiar offerings with family-friendly companies like Esprit, Mark Warner, Crystal, Neilson etc are much more expensive unless you can go out of school holidays.
snow report
The place looks fantastic and completely different to anything mainstream. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually been there I can't imagine the lift system but super fast, but that's not really the point of going somewhere like that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy