Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"10 things ski resorts won't tell you"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
[
And how about we revert to the subject of the thread, which is pretty significant in skiing. For instance ... do US ski resorts exaggerate the quality and quantity of snow (reports) to attract weekend business?

Really?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most certainly, if you're thinking of zipping over the Atlantic on a Friday evening.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
11. They don't always tell you what kind of "water" they use in their manmade snow...........

John.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience resorts do point out that tickets are cheaper online and can be substantially discounted off-site - for good reason, it reduces pressure on the greatest pinch point in ski resorts, the ticket office. Something the ski areas closer to home should take notice off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ernst Goldsmith, Ok - moving on...

Care to give us your opinion based on your experience of any of the questions raised?

Or do you see it just as your job to shovel slop into the pig pen and watch the pigs fight over it? wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:

Any views on SmartMoney's allegations?

Probably a few partial truths hidden somewhere in there, but generally a load of irrelevant generalised dangly bits that you could equally apply to almost every resort worldwide.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
abc and stoatsbrother and my late father

Sorry to have disappointed you. Maybe snowHeads has a Customer Services Desk where your complaints can be resolved. Please produce your original receipt.

Snowhead DOES have a Customer Service Desk. That's why you have to keep inventing new user names, because your old self had been banned!!! Very Happy

And I'm heart broken to hear your late father was disappointed at you. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc, on a point of order, no Goldsmiths have been banned from snowHeads as far as I know.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda, thanks for clearing it up.

So, the occasionally funny David Goldsmith had died of natural causes. And we're left with a always boring Ernst Goldsmith. Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a lot of rudeness on this thread. At worst, the post pointed up a somewhat trite piece of ski journalism. A reasonable response from anyone who saw it as such would be (1) words to that effect, or (2) nothing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, And several of us said that. I don't think some of the responses are hugely helpful - and you might well think mine are not either. But this thread isn't an isolated example of trite journalism is it?

DGs responses on this thread include "You're after journalistic analysis on an internet forum? Don't be ridiculous! " which is pretty rude in itself, as well as being ludicrous - and this is part of a pattern of showering fluffy little stories on to us poor humble proles by DG. I also think it runs counter to the ethos here to post the story and then not engage in the discussion.

No response by him to my question "Care to give us your opinion based on your experience of any of the questions raised?" btw.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, I'm happy to give a response, but it's not obligatory for scribblers/hacks (journalists) to vent opinion. The top of the thread sets out two very contrasting viewpoints on what ski resorts say and do, and you're invited to comment as you wish.

I've skied a fair bit in the States (but not in the last 12 years), but maybe a European perspective would be more relevant for this website. These are just personal observations/opinions:

"10 things European ski resorts might not tell you"

1. They keenly cater for visitors from specific countries, sometimes failing to encourage a sensible balance
2. They sometimes fake their snow reports, shying away from showing how it's measured
3. They face (and pass on) the huge costs of snowmaking, but do nothing to address climate change
4. Liftpasses are increasingly expensive. The 'Ryanair' model of encouraging alternative price points is resisted
5. Instructors face restrictive practices, and ski schools aren't as free to compete as might be ideal
6. "In any of the CdA resorts you are skiing on the bones of Jews" - comment from davidof.
7. Super-groomed slopes lead to high speeds and collision risks
8. Super-groomed pistes involve destructive bulldozing of vital high-altitude vegetation (ground cover)
9. There's an apparent cartel between ski rental shops (in contrast with highly-competitive car rental)
10. Visitors are encouraged to drink too much alcohol up the hill, which is dangerous to all
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy