Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Mission vs Scott Neo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, finally my Rossi B2's (punter skis some may say) have given up the ghost and I've been too busy recently to keep my eye on what's good in the world of skis.

I am a fit male, 5 11 and 79kg/12st 5llb - 39 years old. I have skied for 20 years and tend to do around 15-20 days a season. I'd like to think I do more but in reality I'm 40% off piste to 60% on piste and anyway in Europe it's always a bit more limiting off piste unless with a guide. Let's be honest, skiing 20 days a season just how many powder days do I get (6?).

On piste and off piste I ski well but I aint no expert (expert for me is BASI II absolute minimum). I hate ice (big girl I know) and will always go off piste if the piste is boiler plate. I love my rozzies but need a new equivalent that is a good allrounder.

The question is: given my profile Neo's or Missions? I really want the Missions but am worried I'll look like a nob if I get "found out" as having all the gear and no idea but don't get me wrong I hold my own and excel when conditions suit me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who cares if you look like a nob? Get what you want if you can ski it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Morrissey,
Either or will be fine neither of these skis will be too much for you they are all very much in the same class as the b2/b3.
Manufacturers talk up skis to appeal to egos
I own the neos and have skied the mission. I'm same height slightly heavier decent intermediate similar snow preferences wrt to ice but I prefer skiing off-piste bumps chop and of course powder when the weather is kind enough.
As you are slightly more piste biased I'd say the neo as it is stiffer and narrower than the mission is your ratio was the other way id say the mission (or the crusade, or the list goes on for ever in this class of ski).
I ski it in 176 cm being a semi twin it skis shorter than its actual length so dont be tempted to buy too short. Its fine in most conditions really hard pistes are probably its least favourite conditions (that could be because they are also my least favourite too Embarassed ), it likes everything else really, its a blast on good pistes, slush crud chop no problem and it is capable in powder. I do have other skis and tend to go fatter and longer when I get powder and skinnier when I'm staying on piste, but the Neo is the one I grab when I dont know where I'm heading or what the snow is like.

Just to throw in another (but I think relevent) comparison. A mate of mine very similar to your profie in almost every respect skied and the rossi bandit B2 and B3, the Neos and Dynastar legend 8000 (all for at least a week). The Dynastars are the ones he is now buying I think they are now called the sultan 85.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morrissey, I've just bought Missions after hiring some in St. Anton a couple of weeks ago. I've skied for about half as long as you, am the same height but half a dozen years older and 9 kilos lighter. I went for the 178s and found them great off-piste, great float in the soft stuff, soft flex, so easy to manage small radius rounded turns and good over hard, bumpy terrain. On piste they skied like a shorter ski due to the long upturned tip and small turn radius of 14.7m. The only thing I didn't like on the hired skis was the awful rental bindings, the stand height was too high and they were a bit rattly and unstable, with decent bindings they'd be better still. I got this year's model, without bindings for £330, which seems a good buy. Apologies but don't know anything about the Neos.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't speak about the Missions but I am very happy with my Neo's.

I'm a little lighter than you and shorter but bought the 176 Neo's as I got a great deal on them (so I no doubt look like a nob with skis that are about 4 cm taller then me!!! Confused )

The Neo's definitely ski shorter then their length and have a relatively small turn radius of 14m.

In all likelihood the Missions will be better in deeper powder but I felt that realistically I was going to spend at least as much time on piste as off (and in truth more time on piste) so I went with the Neo's as it is a more piste orientated ski compared to the Missions...

I think you'll be happy with whichever of these 2 model you go with and as you will not be changing skis daily you will become used to either your Neos/Missions and frankly you won't know what you are missing with the other ski anyway...

(BTW, just to confuse matters a little more, my mate has a pair of Scott Punishers that he absolutely loves... just another option for you!!!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone this is fantastic information.

I'm leaning towards the Missions on the Scott S10 bindings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Morrissey, I think the mission will do you fine, you can always change the side angle to the spyderjon recommended 3 degrees for more hold on ice/hardpack. I moved off my missions to something with a longer radius as I found 2 limitations of the Mission. 1) The short turn radius I felt was fighting against me as my off piste skills improved and I wanted to do longer, faster turns, 2) When going at mach 10 off piste in boot deep fresh I found them a bit 'flappy'

Other than that they were great!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone so much for all your feedback. One pair of Scott Mission's purchased...one very happy Mancunian crooner! Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy