Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners with a baby - advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I never took my children skiing until the youngest was 6 years Shocked but that was the first time for all of us! what I will add though is that we took them all on holiday, flying to varoius places from 10 weeks old! I agree at that age they are easier to travel with than a toddler, they dont need much so young and sleep mostly!
Personally I would not leave a baby in a creche all day as it would not be an enjoyable time for me, instead we would take it in turns to babysit. Just because you have a baby doesn't mean you cant enjoy a holiday, I think snowymum was a bit harsh in her comments! I would have been offended! At least you plan to take baby with you and not leave him at home with someone else for a week!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feefee - why was I harsh in my comments? I don't believe I said people with young babies should not enjoy a holiday.

However if you are learning to ski and have a breast fed baby I can't think how you can expect to leave them in childcare 9-5 on a skiing holiday. Getting on a plane somewhere in the world isn't the same as the baby is still with you and can be fed when it is hungry.

Maybe OPs wife is planning to bottle feed in which case not such a problem leaving the baby but I don't think I would have embarked on my first skiing holiday at this stage.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the Mumsnet suggestion! They're a scary bunch...Smile

I'm not sure that taking a grandparent along is a particularly helpful / insightful suggestion though. All aspects of childcare / parenting are easier if you've got a willing, trusted person to do it (or a sizeable chunk of it) for you!

Personally, I'd wait a few years. There are significant risks relating to transport delays, unsuitable childcare in resport, unsuitable sleeping arrangements etc. and a skiing holiday with a kid so young therefore has a significant chance of turning into a very expensive experience memorable for all the wrong reasons. I'm naturally very risk averse, though. The proposed venture is more likely to be a good experience than a bad one, medical advice for new Mum notwithstanding.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowymum, without wishing to start a war wink firstly its not always a long transfer, depending on the country and resort, we've been door to door in 6 hours!
You assumed baby is breast fed, if it is, its not impossible to leave a baby with expressed milk (I have done it), and even if it is the mother would know the implications involved in leaving him/her.
Then dared him to go on some mumsy forum, like throwing a lamb to slaughter Shocked rather than assume he had some common sense!
Just my evaluation of your response thats all Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
graeme72, what did you decide to do in the end? I guess you've either booked it or abandoned it by now!

To all those people who went skiing with newborns - I salute you!! (no sarcasm). At 3 months we were shot. Utterly, completely, mentally and physically exhausted (hadn't slept for more than 45 minutes in a stretch for 3 months). Had we booked a ski holiday at that age (and it was seriously discussed) we just wouldn't have had the energy to bother packing or going to the airport.

Having said that though, our first trip was with a 19 month old toddler. The night before we went the whole family was in tears through exhaustion, having all had the flu for several weeks, and we nearly didn't go. But we went for it....and had one of the best weeks of our lives Very Happy you never know!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi All,

Thought I'd wade in here!!

I am going to Les Carroz in just over 2 weeks with my Wife and our 17 week old daughter. We are also going with my Wife's parents.
We have booked a small catered chalet 600m from the main lift in Les Carroz. We are also self driving via Euro Tunnel.

My wife and mother in law have already said they are more than willing to do the majority of the baby sitting (good job as baby is breast fed but does take Aptamil from bottle).
We are all very competent skiiers, my wife probably being the least confident.

My wife will be happy with 2 or 3 hours a day skiing, so between the rest of us I'm sure we can look after the baby.

The thought of trying to ski, look after the baby and cook dinner does not appeal to us personally hence the catered chalet option. Buying supermarket food in resort is also expensive.

Likewise trying to go on the plane with her seems like a nightmare - more because of the fact of luggage restrictions! We will be self driving in my 4x4 with a roof box.
This means that we can use the car in resort as well so can do runs to and from chalet/lifts easily - no ski bus or awkward walks.

I'll let you know how I get on - wish us luck!!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good luck Rossco. Hope you have a great time and we will look forward to hearing...haven't been to les carroz so would like to know what its like.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rossco,
Have a great time, sounds like you got it all sorted! I found a lovely chalet in Les Carroz but sadly it was booked the week we wanted, so maybe next year, it looks lovely!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hope we have!

The only thing I am worried about is that the chalet has 4 bedrooms. 2 ensuite doubles downstairs, a twin and a triple upstairs with family bathroom and mezzanine living area.
We have the upstairs to ourselves, but 2 other couples (nothing to do with us) have the downstairs bedrooms.

I just hope that my daughter doesn't wake any of the downstairs people during the night. She isn't a bad sleeper, and with us in the triple room with her it shouldn't be a problem
if she does wake. Also the chalet is only 3 or 4 years old and quite high end with heated florring etc. so hopefully no paper thin walls.....

At the end of the day the live-in chalet owners have known about the baby from day one so I don't suppose they have any issues.

Apart from that I'm pretty confident that we have all bases covered!! Fingers crossed!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What's worked well for us is going ski-ing with friends who also have young children.

Last year we went with 2 other familes who had a 9 month old and an 18 month old.....our daughter was 3 1/2 months. We stayed in a chalet and it worked brilliantly - we shared babysitting between us which meant that I could ski for 2-3 hours each day! A group works well as there is always someone to keep you company when you're on baby-duty.
As others have said, we viewed this as a snowy holiday with some ski-ing thrown in - with a child that young we couldn't expect anything more.

We went again this year with some of our NCT group, again in a chalet, which also worked brilliantly.

I can't really advise you on a resort and, to be honest, your accommodation is far more important....that's where you'll be spending most of your time.

As for tips the key for me is not stressing....as long as you stay relaxed your baby should be fine - if you're tense they pick up on it and will become unsettled.
- An established routine really helps - so long as she was fed and slept at the normal times our little girl was happy.
- Get your little one used to sleeping in different places - that way you're not limited to your room if you're babysitting
- If you're flying feed on landing & take-off - helps deal with the ear-popping issue
- Get your baby used to taking bottles from other people (sounds daft doesn't it but babies can be fickle)
- If MrsGraeme72 is breastfeeding bring a pump & get baby used to the bottle
- Bring some of the baby's bedding with you, makes the cot smell familiar so they'll settle quicker
- Take a sturdy pushchair....we have a Jane 3-wheeler which was brilliant in the snow
- Pack lots of nappies, wipes, toys & calpol

.....and enjoy snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Pack lots of nappies, wipes, toys & calpol

Especially the Calpol. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sea sick pills for sprogs for the journey - makes them sleep . Just remember they will then be fully rested and energetic just as you arrive and are ready to drop/coupled with being stressed with all that an arrival in a new place means. Which is why I never took babies/toddlers skiing . . .

No-one has picked up my earlier post (bottom of previous page) about post-birth soft ligaments, and whether it could cause you back and hip problems if you ski within 6 months of dropping. It was definitely an issue 15 years ago as I was advised to take a break from skiing, or are modern mothers tougher? Confused
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SuburbanSkier, interesting point. I made a big mistake, thoughtlessly playing squash when my second son was 6 weeks old - I did suffer from a bad back for a while after that, not something I ever have a problem with, normally. But I wouldn't have thought gentle skiing was anything like as problematical as a high impact game like squash. I would think that after 3 months, providing the mum is physically fit and NOT carrying any excess weight, gentle skiing wouldn't be a problem - though comments from any relevant health professionals would be interesting. I suppose it depends on taking it steadily, and not suddenly launching into a ski holiday when you've done nothing for the previous 3 months other than sitting on the sofa breastfeeding whilst watching daytime TV!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
True - but my concern was for Mrs graeme72 who has only done a few dry slope lessons, and I believe (would hope) is planing to go to ski school. An experienced skier pottering around well within their comfort zone, relaxing on first holiday post-baby, is a different situation to someone learning a new physical skill in a class for a fixed amount of time each day, and on a holiday that is fundamentally different and possibly more challenging than one they've done before.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
surburbanski - if you read my posts you will see I don't think this holiday is a great idea but I seem to be in a minority.
snow report
Denise Lewis and Paula Radcliffe both had problems from getting back into training too soon after having their first babies. Admittedly, training for international athletics is somewhat different to going skiing for the first time, but even so, this is not a risk that should be completely ignored.

IIRC, pregnant ladies are advised not to try a new form of exercise, because of the softened ligaments etc. I'd guess the same advice might apply post-birth as well until things have settled down. Curiously, neither Miriam Stoppard or Gina Ford cover the subject of learning to ski with a 3 month old baby. And these pair have the temerity to describe themselves as "experts"... Shocked
snow report
Snow Joke wrote:

- Bring some of the baby's bedding with you, makes the cot smell familiar so they'll settle quicker
- Take a sturdy pushchair....we have a Jane 3-wheeler which was brilliant in the snow
- Pack lots of nappies, wipes, toys & calpol

.....and enjoy snowHead

Did you hire a Pickford's truck by any chance? Smile
snow report
SuburbanSkier wrote:
No-one has picked up my earlier post (bottom of previous page) about post-birth soft ligaments, and whether it could cause you back and hip problems if you ski within 6 months of dropping. It was definitely an issue 15 years ago as I was advised to take a break from skiing, or are modern mothers tougher? Confused

Good point. I personally found that my ligaments were working fine when I skied (little one was about 15 weeks old). In fact they were more effective than when I was 17 weeks pregnant - by the last day of the holiday my turns were so dreadful that I gave up a returned to the comfort of a warm bar & a hot chocolate with cream snowHead

It really depends on the mother and how active she is - I was back on my horse soon after the birth so a weeks skiiing wasn't such a shock to the system. I don't think you really know how you'll feel until you actually get on the slopes.
What I have found, however, is that since becoming a mother I am a much more cautious skier rolling eyes ....yes, I am now that annoying person traversing red runs & getting in everyone's way Embarassed

graeme72 I would also suggest taking some private ski lessons rather than doing the ski school group classes thing.....the more intensive tuition will be hugely beneficial and the pace can be more easily adapted to MrsGraeme72.
snow report
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
Did you hire a Pickford's truck by any chance? Smile

Laughing Ha ha - no, but that's not a bad idea.
latest report
Snow Joke, the most depressing aspect of my skiing career is that Mrs Snowplough was 6 weeks pregnant when we went on our last child-free skiing holiday. On Doc's orders, we stuck to blues and greens (when Mrs S was not either asleep or fuelling up on hot choccies!) Despite skiing cautiously, she was still much faster than me. Sad
ski holidays
Hi,

I have skied whilst pregnant (3mnths and 5mnths) and also when baby was very small I think Both babies were 5/6mnths because they are summer birthdays.
I would second some of the very good advice already given, go for either an all in approach using ski esprit/ mark warner / ski famille etc where you are restricted by timings by the company set up (but generally works very well. If you choose a smallish chalet with ski esprit baby monitors usually work and its only like being downstairs when baby is upstairs with the added benefit of nannies listening during supper. Be aware that some of the ski esprit chalets are a little tired and the food is not always the best, but the childcare is fantastic.

Bear in mind that even if you have a baby sleeping through at home it is often different when you are away on holiday, and you may get little sleep which means you might be quite tired
Another company I would recomend is premier neige who do both self catered and catered accomodation but only in the resort of Sainte foy, they have a kiddie club, and the option of a private nanny.

Flights are airports are all fairly child friendly, but as other posts have said make sure you pack enopugh stuff(formula nappies wipes calpol etc. for an extended time in case of delays. The other option is to self drive if baby travels well in the car it can be easier when they are this small to drive rather than fly.

Lets gets, morzine and meribel all have private nanny companies and creches which are run by English Nannies.

More importantly, don't be put off by the negative comments, it is entirely do-able, as with everthing you do with kids it just takes a bit more planning! I am sure you will have a great time!
On a personal note, it took me at least 6-8 mnths before I had regained fitness after having babies, and so I took things at my pace and accepted that I would make slower progress than others in my lessons but had a great time. So good that our 6 year old who went skiing as a bump and when only a few months old now zooms down almost any run and is much better than me!
ski holidays
fizz wrote:
...So good that our [7] year old who went skiing as a bump ...now zooms down almost any run and is much better than me!

Ain't that the truth! I can't even blame being pregnant for my lack of speed against the Ankle Biters. Smile
ski holidays
graeme72, I note no response since JimiHendrix request for an update.
I do hope you have not been put off by any of the doom-laden posts here.
Ignore them all, and concentrate on the positive posts.
My two are now 18 and 21, and wonderfully mad whizzy keen skiers.
Both went with us when they were only a couple of months old and still being breast fed.
Flights, long transfers, long car rides: we did it all.
With a bit of sensible organisation anything is possible
The key thing is Never Stop Skiing.
snow report
Yes but Jonpim - were you a first-time skier when you took them at a couple of months old? I think that everyone who has extolled the virtues of taking babies here, had skied a few times before they had their kids. graeme72 and his wife are planning on going on their first ski holiday ever. IMHO that is quite a challenge.

Must switch off now - coach leaving in an hour and we should be in La Tania by mid afternoon tomorrow!
snow conditions
Have a great holiday suburban skier!
snow conditions
Hello,

How about Les Deux Alpes? The beginner slopes are excellent here and you could use Snow Angel Nannies, an excellent private nanny service!! wink There are good ski schools in Les Deux Alpes as well! I would be happy to help with pointing you in the right direction for accomadation as well!
ski holidays
Forgot to add don't ask mumsnet or NCT for an opinion on anything baby related as there are some very sad people on their who have nothing else to do or think about than how to upset new parents!
Do what you want to do, its your baby, your choice and listen to positive advice and ignore negatives on here.
latest report
SuburbanSkier, you do make a good point there. When we went with Rosie (3 months old) to Obergurgl, it was our 4th ski holiday. And we took along Grandma as "Babysitter". When we took Tom to Zermat at a similar age it was 3 years later: that time we went with another family with a young infant (wife's brother) and shared out the child care.

There is a lot to sort out and get used to on a aki holiday. If graeme72 is having standard Ski School lessons I would advise making sure the start time is mid morning or afternoon. The rush and and fluster of getting organised for a day's skiing can be bad enough: having to sort out kids as well can make for muttering, glumpiness, even screaming rows - we've all seen it (many have experienced it). The key is Relax. Take things at your own pace and refuse to be rushed by anyone. Think of it as a holiday in the mountains with a bit of skiing and you'll be fine. Later on when your baby is older it will be your child urging you to get a move on. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimiHendrix wrote:

At 3 months we were shot. Utterly, completely, mentally and physically exhausted (hadn't slept for more than 45 minutes in a stretch for 3 months)

that sounds really grim. You were unlucky - I don't think it's like that for most people. Most of us have some bad nights, or a run of bad nights, or take it in turns to get some peace in the spare room, or take it in turns to get up with a toddler who insists that 0530 is when the day starts, or to take a 3 week old baby out for a 3 mile walk in the pram at 3 am. ..... But as you've said "we" I assume there was more than one of you. Did neither of you sleep for more than 45 minutes at a stretch? Shocked
ski holidays
Haven't posted on Snowheads for about a year, due to having a baby! I just wanted to add a few comments. I went skiing when she was 13 weeks old (just for a morning, we live in Austria) and had no problems apart from being a bit unfit (and I had a c-section). I had heard of the ligaments thing, but it honestly wasn't a problem. I echo some of the comments above about not trying to do everything and perhaps just ski mornings or take it in turns on different days. Look for a low resort with a short transfer time, somewhere in Austria would be ideal, look at Crystal and Esprit. I've flown with a 9 week old and a 5 month old from Salzburg to London with no problems.
snow report
nice, welcome back! snowHead At 13 weeks I think your ligaments are probably pretty well OK, though maybe not the best time to really go hard at a completely new sport. I was silly to play squash so early - it's a high impact game and it was well before 13 weeks. It's a wonder I didn't knock myself out with my boobs, come to think of it - must have had a good sports/nursing bra!
ski holidays
I went skiing to Meribel when my son was 3 months old. We went with Ski Olympic and went by coach overnight. He slept in a car seat and the journey wasn't too bad either way. I was still breastfeeding so could feed him when he woke on the journey (only once each way), but I had him taking a bottle of formula from about 6 weeks for one feed in the middle of the day, so I could ski. I took disposable bottles and packets of ready prepared milk. We took grandparents who babysat during the day, so I got plenty of skiing in, . I didn't do anything too difficult and didn't have any problems with floppy ligaments,but I had been skiing for about 15 years.

However, as snowymum said (it's easy to think she was being negative, but you have to be realistic), it's not easy! My son was sleeping through the night from about 2 weeks before we left, but on holiday started waking for a feed in the middle of the night and then at around 5.30 am for the day, so I was completely knackered. My grandparent babysitters, pushed him around in the pram all day, so obviously he slept a lot which probably contributed to the bad nights. And, understandably, they gave him back to me the second I walked through the chalet door. In previous holidays I had been used to having an afternoon nap after skiing so it was a bit of a shock to the system! I actually found it quite stressful having grandparents babysitting as I felt I couldn't tell them what to do, ie not let him sleep all day, let me have a nap, whereas having a paid nanny you can have rules! Merinannies in Meribel are good - they gave me 3 nannies' phone numbers so I could speak to them all and then decide who to use, and the nanny was excellent.

I said I wouldn't do it again, however I have skied every year since and have had another child who first came skiing when she was 8 months old (we used a creche that year, and then nannies). When I was pregnant with number 2, we went skiing, though I just looked after my son and ate a lot. We had a great time, but the return journey was one of my worst days ever. My son and I flew with a group, but my husband went on the train. We were delayed in a queue for check in at the airport for about 6 hours due to x-ray machine failure. My son (then aged 2 but very big) was awake until about 5 mins before we landed at Gatwick, then screamed his head off when woken up and wouldn't let anyone else carry him from gate 100 (or thereabouts). You're not allowed to take push chairs on flights, so that really knackered my back, I could hardly walk for a week. We haven't flown since, so I'd definitely agree with other posts. Take the train!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy