Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"23% of British skiers are drunk in the morning" - travel insurer

Poster: A snowHead
Of course it was flawed research - and god knows why our own journalist is bringing it up here.

This is how it goes:
1) Insurance Company/Detergent company/charity/lobby group/whatever wants to increase "Brand awareness"
2) They realise that it is cheaper to buy editorial space than advert space these days.
3) Commission study with poor and undisclosed methodology (what was the response rate? what was the wording of the question? Were the punters asked when in the bar? etc etc)
4) Look for the most "newsworthy" statistic they can abstract from it,
5) Slip it into a press release and pass it to tame and lazy journos.
6) Hey presto - a news story raising the profile of the "brand"

In this case - the morethan "spokesman" Pete Markey also just happens to be their director of marketing rolling eyes

Ernst Goldsmith, rather than just regurgitating these lame third hand stories - why not actually apply your undoubted skills to some critical analysis of the content and the motivation behind them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"The survey" is a PRs surefire way of getting some column inches for the client. I'm not saying it is all made up but let's say that the stats are somewhat freely interpreted. Insurance companies are always at it and they all follow a pattern in that the "result" of the survey chucks out some shocking news otherwise it wouldn't get printed (man bites dog etc). The other week we were told that, unless we all start wearing ski helmets, 74.3% of us would be dead by lunchtime... or something like that. Lately we've been told that 12% of skiers are uninsured but 98% of skiers are involved in 3 alcohol-fuelled fatal accidents each day so better go buy some insurance etc etc. It really is a load of old codswallop but here we are talking about an insurance company called Less Than so it works.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In a recent in-depth survey 100% of snowHeads (stoatsbrother) stated that they wanted
Quote:

Ernst Goldsmith to stop regurgitating lame third hand stories
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh no, I will sound like a real killjoy, I am a snowHead I love a few glasses of wine in the evening BUT listen to yourselves rolling eyes No wonder the brits have a woldwide reputation for being such p***heads.

Why does having 'fun' require so much alcohol. Specially when you have snow, mountains and clean air to enjoy.

I get Embarassed when I see drunken brits and I am in someone elses country. Evil or Very Mad

Dont stop drinking. I wont, but drink less and really enjoy your skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, brilliant - you even have the selective quoting done properly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
youngeratheart, couldn't agree more!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
youngeratheart, to be fair the Swedes and the Finns are even worse. But yes, I do agree!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother wrote:
Ernst Goldsmith, rather than just regurgitating these lame third hand stories

Perfectly respectable thing to do - standard bovine reportage. Anyway, I wrote it for Swiller - not you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charlatanefc wrote:

....Have you ever been skiing in Austria, or on a snowheads bash? Wink I've been known to do around 12 units a round including chasers/shots,...)

I can vouch for the accuracy of the above! Charlatanefc - he Da Man! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Helen Beaumont and one for which you pay a HEAVY price the next morning. Shocked Laughing

Seriously though , I'm in Ischgl on Saturday for a Lads week. I have no intention of skiing while pissed, I do a bad enough job of it sober, but will have 2 or three units at lunchtime, knock off around 3-4.00 and will easily have another dozen before the evening meal.

After that we really get going Madeye-Smiley

Do tend to knock off before midnight though, can't quite seem to keep the pace these days. (and nightclubs aren't my Thang.)

Still drunk in the morning - I don't think so. Hungover? Oh yes. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
youngeratheart, While some snowHead like to "brag" about the amount of alcohol they consume, I rather think there are more whose views are similar to yours - mine certainly are.

One snowHead I was skiing with last week had been thinking of going to the 6BB, but had been put off by the stories of heavy drinking.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
youngeratheart wrote:
but drink less and really enjoy your skiing.
So that's where I've been going wrong! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney, youngeratheart,

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks*." Toofy Grin NehNeh

*and Ray Zorro snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't drink at lunchtime when skiing & don't drink to excess in the evening. I may feel a little 'tired' in the morning but not as bad as a hangover & sick. I've spent a lot of money to ski, not to spend skiing time in bed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Being badly hungover skiing is something everyone has to experience and the advantage is if you're sick you just cover it up with snow - simples snowHead

It would be interested to see what the Russian stats are - someone explained their keen drinking habits when I questioned the Russian no drinking in the airport signs in one of the small French airports. I reckon the fumes over 1850 must be pretty powerful of a morning.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ernst Goldsmith, all I am suggesting is that you to be a bit more critical and analytical about the things you regurgitate - which I would have thought would appeal to your instincts and intellect. Not just lazy cutting and pasting of others' stories.

"Insurance company marketing manager seeks to get publicity by accusing Brit skiers of being drunk" might have been a more interesting headline?
snow report
Helen Beaumont, why thank you my dear Wink
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Ernst Goldsmith, all I am suggesting is that you to be a bit more critical and analytical about the things you regurgitate

But isn't this a bit like a radio 'phone in'? Spin (or rather not spin) the story as a journalism jockey, with whatever faults may exist in the raw reportage. Invite the listeners/surfers to 'phone in'.
If I (the link-gibbon) get too inolved in the critical analysis, then who else needs to be involved?

People don't expect snowHeads to be the Harvard School of Journalism. They breeze in and out of here for a bit of fun.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-01-10 11:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Axsman, sniff. Seems like centuries ago since VT 08 Sad Looks less and less likely Me and the Mrs are going to make it this year now too rolling eyes

alex_heney,
Quote:

One I was skiing with last week had been thinking of going to the 6BB, but had been put off by the stories of heavy drinking.

Where they not able to make up their own mind about when they'd had enough, or did they think they were going to be tied to a chair, mouth clamped open, and force fed booze against their will? Puzzled
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, Not doing the Saalbach/ischgl trip this year? (Jaegermeister sales in the region could be well depressed Shocked Shocked ) Laughing
snow conditions
Charlatanefc wrote:
tied to a chair, mouth clamped open, and force fed booze
I never saw that as an option ?! Where do I sign ??
latest report
Axsman, nope mate, alas it looks like the 3 days in Tignes in November will be our only trip this season Sad The recession, and associated 4 day week I was on for most of last year saw to that. Deffo be back on in 2011 tho Wink

Jerry, you'd have to close yer mouth for a moment for it to be clamped back open NehNeh
snow conditions
After skiing for 6-8 hrs I usually have a beer with my meal, watch the news on telly, go over the ski edges with diamond stones, wax if needed and then fall asleep.

Wakey, wakey, rise and shine for the first lift of the morning Smile

Not typical, huh?
snow report
Charlatanefc wrote:
Axsman, sniff. Seems like centuries ago since VT 08 Sad Looks less and less likely Me and the Mrs are going to make it this year now too rolling eyes

alex_heney,
Quote:

One I was skiing with last week had been thinking of going to the 6BB, but had been put off by the stories of heavy drinking.

Where they not able to make up their own mind about when they'd had enough, or did they think they were going to be tied to a chair, mouth clamped open, and force fed booze against their will? Puzzled

Not nearly as extreme as you paint it, but a lesser version of the latter. Sure they realised they wouldn't be forced to drink, but felt it likely it would be "expected" and that they wouldn't fit in if they didn't - which is a fairly important factor on a group holiday.

Plus (probably) concerned about the general atmosphere if many of the people would be spending a lot of the time drunk.
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
Couple of face shots soon takes care of things Wink

Shocked
ski holidays
alex_heney, not been my experience of bashes at all. There's always been heavy drinking groups and groups that only have one or two. There's never been any pressure to conform to any stereotype. If people just want to have tea and cakes at 5pm and go to bed so be it..... I certainly wouldn't feel threatened if the majority were tee-total for instance.
snow report
alex_heney, the 5BB was pretty tame actually. No one looked like they were suffering from anything other than gluttony and lack of fitness.

MSB 2008 on the other hand... but most people were fairly quiet.

Anyway - the S6BB is now - I believe - full or near it, and your mate could have actually posted asking for more information.
latest report
alex_heney, as Charlatanefc, says, getting completely shitfaced is always at your own discretion.

OTOH your freind's concern may not be ENTIRELY groundless as having someone who is already shitfaced redecorate your lounge, toilet, balcony or coat hood (eh Kramer wink ) may be outside of your control.

Little Angel
ski holidays
Axsman, oh God, and he's coming to the EoSB, isn't he? Shocked I like merry drinking and don't like shitfaced: the trick is to avoid sliding from one to the other. Mostly I succeed, but there have been one or two epic fails...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, yes, sadly I too have to admit to the odd fail in that area Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, He is charm personified, and you will have a great time.

On the other hand it looks to me like you might have started a "Get Hurtle Shitfaced" competition wink
ski holidays
Charlatanefc wrote:
alex_heney, not been my experience of bashes at all. There's always been heavy drinking groups and groups that only have one or two. There's never been any pressure to conform to any stereotype. If people just want to have tea and cakes at 5pm and go to bed so be it..... I certainly wouldn't feel threatened if the majority were tee-total for instance.

I haven't been to a bash yet, but I was suspecting it was more a problem of perception than likely to be a real issue.

What you and others say more or less confirms that. I wouldn't have minded coming to the 6BB, but I needed something cheaper this year.
ski holidays
Anyone thought about doing a survey on the instructors? Laughing

Quote:
"23% of Ski Instructors are drunk in the morning"
snow report
freestyleandy, considerably more than 23% if the state of their cars is anything to go by.
ski holidays
Charlatanefc wrote:
Jerry, you'd have to close yer mouth for a moment for it to be clamped back open NehNeh
Told yer, if you turn up in April you'll realise I am just "A bit sociable" Wink
snow conditions
Quote:
"23% of Ski Instructors are drunk in the morning"
I could post a photo from EOSB06 at this point Laughing
ski holidays
when people start talking in units instead of pints i get a strange feeling of gloom ..
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, I find the feeling passes after two or three units though Wink
ski holidays
A more detailed article on the perils of drunken skiing and the insurance implications, from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/gap-year-ski-instructor/7052037/The-40-something-ski-bum-blog-three.html
snow report
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
A more detailed article on the perils of drunken skiing and the insurance implications, from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/gap-year-ski-instructor/7052037/The-40-something-ski-bum-blog-three.html

Think you have totally lost it now - what has 'packing an off piste backpack' got to do with drunken skiing the next morning ??? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Depends what you put in the backpack. I've known people to have a micro-brewery in there.

Try this link! Sorry:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/7052720/Insurers-reject-claims-from-drunken-skiers.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy