Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"23% of British skiers are drunk in the morning" - travel insurer

Poster: A snowHead
MoreThan travel insurance claim that almost a quarter of British skiers begin the morning with 7+ units of alcohol in their blood.

This report from Metro.co.uk

Quote:
The poll of 1,072 skiers and snowboarders also showed 74 per cent believed drinking heavily the night before did not affect their skiing.

Quote:
31 per cent wrongly believed their insurance would not be affected if they caused a serious accident on the slopes having drunk heavily the night before.

Did you take part in this survey? Anyone know how the survey was conducted, in terms of measuring people's blood/alcohol?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
much higher on a snowheads bash wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not that I've been in many resort medical centres (luckily), butI don't remember ever being asked to take a breathalyser test before being treated. Unless they enforce this, I can't see how this could be policed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rolling eyes Hungover? Probably. Drunk? I don't think so.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drunk? no way - we went out at 11/12 most days (latest was 14:30) after a full english, copious amounts of tea and a bit of a doze. Lovely job Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Drinking on a ski holiday is normally a much earlier evening event than it is in the UK. I'm tucked up in bed by midnight, whereas a weekend night out on the town at home sees me rolling in at 4am. Not that I drink enough to get drunk anyway, but it's just an observation that most ski resorts are pretty dead after 11pm. So still being drunk at 8am the next morning is going to mean having drunk 12 units or more. Do people really do that?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

we went out at 11/12 most days
That means you only had half a ski holiday - especially if you stopped for lunch as well! Shocked Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder how this compares with any other kind of holiday. Without a baseline it's hardly worthy of note.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

we went out at 11/12 most days
That means you only had half a ski holiday - especially if you stopped for lunch as well! Shocked Laughing
Um, I think she was 'working' there, so it's not fair of her to come out with statements like that!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
......... so the other 77% are drunk in the afternoon/evening? Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, I understood the advice was now 1 hour (of recovery) per unit... at least that is what I think the bloke on TV was suggesting the other night to avoid being over 0.05 and thus driving illegally the next day...

Quote:
According to Road Safety Scotland, it can take up to 12 hours to be safe to drive after drinking one bottle of wine or four pints of strong lager. The rule of thumb is that each unit of alcohol takes about an hour to process.

and France has 0.05 blood limit for driving - lower than the UK 0.08
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, to some - but its a holiday. We value the apres as much as the snow time so we make sure we fit both in Very Happy

Steilhang, nope this was in St Anton last week!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Next week, in Alpe d'Huez, it will be 24%.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Higs, it might even be more....... Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger,
Quote:

I understood the advice was now 1 hour (of recovery) per unit... at least that is what I think the bloke on TV was suggesting

You start metabolising it after you absorb it though, so a lot will depend on when you start drinking rather than when you stop as well as the total ammount.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
So still being drunk at 8am the next morning is going to mean having drunk 12 units or more. Do people really do that?
.. 12 units..? i could do that at lunch time at work........
snow report
77% of British Skiers are sober in the morning Cool
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
So still being drunk at 8am the next morning is going to mean having drunk 12 units or more. Do people really do that?

is that per hour Puzzled wink a couple of pints and a stack load of shooters would get you to that limit Shocked
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
having drunk 12 units or more. Do people really do that?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

is that per hour Puzzled wink a couple of pints and a stack load of shooters would get you to that limit Shocked

Easy.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
77% of British Skiers are sober in the morning Cool

or still in bed.
latest report
5 hours ago, this 'survey' was added to the 'MoreThan' survey:
Quote:
Did you take part in this survey? Anyone know how the survey was conducted, in terms of measuring people's blood/alcohol?

That's probably MoreThan enough for the moment.

I'm going to give MoreThan a ring and invite them to comment on this thread. Stand by.
---------------------
[Update] Have just phoned, and emailed a link to this thread to the MoreThan press office, requesting info on how the alcohol was measured in the skiers' bloodstreams.
snow conditions
I thought the main purpose of going for a morning ski was to help clear the system ready for the next cheeky afternoon drink. Very Happy
latest report
I remember a ski instructor telling me once that a group he was teaching, or attempting to teach, pitched up every morning for a week still half-cut from the night before.

The days seemed to go something like this: party arrived anything up to half an hour late, commented on how ill they felt, had a first run during the course of which a number of them would turn green, stop and empty the contents of their stomachs at the side of the piste, then half-heartedly ski until mid morning whilst discussing where they were goimg to stop for 'elevenses'. Once stopped would proceed to down a few shorts, perk up then ski for a while longer then adjourn to the nearest pub for the rest of the day and much of the night ... kids in tow!

Amazingly these weren't Snowheads or Scots either wink Laughing
latest report
Oh well, I'm a lightweight with a strict five unit limit. After 12 units I'd be fit for nowhere but the bathroom.
latest report
Update with additional detail on this story:

http://www.easier.com/64870-more-than-travel-insurance-safe-skiing-advice.html

Quote:
After quizzing over 1,000 British skiers and snowboarders on their après-ski drinking habits, MORE TH>N worked with General Practitioner Harvinder Gill to calculate just how drunk people will be on the slopes this year during morning ski sessions. With seven units of alcohol in their systems at 9:00am, Harvinder was able to demonstrate how skiers and boarders will be susceptible to the following:

Increased reaction times
Impaired balance
Reduced visual acuity, peripheral vision and glare recovery
Impairment of perception
Loss of critical judgement.
snow report
roga, Makes perfect sense. They spend thousands of pounds to get to a ski resort where drinks are probably more expensive than they are anywhere else on the planet ( barring other ski resorts elsewhere ) and then proceed to get totally smashed to the point where they are too f*cked to actually do any skiing. I mean, yeah... why not?

On the other hand why not just stay at home and get smashed there Puzzled
snow conditions
Steilhang, because a hangover in the mountains is almost enjoyable snowHead and we dont have gluhwein, hot choc with rum, flugels, desperados (easily available at least), stroh 80, jagertee etc at home
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, it seems that at least 23% (more actually) make it to the pistes though wink
snow report
Alpine nightclubs serve until around 4 or 5 am, so if awaking for first lifts at 8 you most probably are still drunk.

Also consider how many holidaymakers are students and how that would skew the results from the middle-aged snowhead tucked up in bed by 11pm...

I assume however that this is off the back of the British Embassy in Paris's 'terrors of drinking and skiing' campaign and can safely be ignored.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:
Steilhang, because a hangover in the mountains is almost enjoyable
Uhuh!
Quote:
and we dont have gluhwein, hot choc with rum, flugels, desperados (easily available at least), stroh 80, jagertee etc at home
So maybe there's a business idea there? Mooserwirt Hemel?
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Drinking on a ski holiday is normally a much earlier evening event than it is in the UK. I'm tucked up in bed by midnight, whereas a weekend night out on the town at home sees me rolling in at 4am. Not that I drink enough to get drunk anyway, but it's just an observation that most ski resorts are pretty dead after 11pm. So still being drunk at 8am the next morning is going to mean having drunk 12 units or more. Do people really do that?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Have you ever been skiing in Austria, or on a snowheads bash? Wink I've been known to do around 12 units a round including chasers/shots, and usually on a ski hol am "on it" from about 4pm til 2am for the whole duration of the holiday. There's no better hangover cure than mountain air.

I can sleep when I get home Wink
snow conditions
To work out your units you need to know the ABV or ALc Vol of what your drinking, and the volume. ABV x ml / 1000 = units. So 5.0%abv x 500ml / 1000 = 2.5 units.
Drink say 8 'continental' pints of a 5.0 premium lager = 20 units . If you start drinking at 6pm, then 20 hours later you will at Zero, so thats 2pm the next day. This is an average , your personal rate will depend on liver function , age , sex, weight and consumption rates.
So from this it is easy to see that the survey might be broadly correct. There is no way to speed up the flushing process, you will feel more human after coffee and high fat content food, but the BAC will be the same.
IIRC there is a drug that the UK hospitals are not allowed to use to sober people up faster.
Its Ok, I here you say , i only drink the wine. Its easy to drink 1 ltr of wine over an evening, at 14% thats 14 units , or if you drink with dinner 7pm through to 9am
Its almost impossible to work out your blood alcohol content (BAC) expressed as mg/ltr from the units consumed / time formula. The police can do it , and can convict you as a back count, but they do need alot of suplimentary evidence. You can guesstimate it , but I would not trust it for driving.
ski holidays
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
MoreThan travel insurance claim that almost a quarter of British skiers begin the morning with 7+ units of alcohol in their blood.

...and? wink
ski holidays
So they asked 1000 skiers and boarders - so what? Out of how many go skiing/boarding? How many of that sample were a representative cross-section of skiing/boarding Brits - from the tee-total through moderate drinkers to the complete beer monsters. Or was the total sample taken from a nightclub at 3am? No I've not read the whole report but I reckon it was flawed research
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Also consider how many holidaymakers are students and how that would skew the results from the middle-aged snowhead tucked up in bed by 11pm...

Ahem.....the biggest party animals I've ever skied with by far are pensioners. Unlike us workers they can sleep it off when they get home!!!

Seriously though, how am I expected to get down a nasty black without a few gluhweins snowHead
snow report
Charlatanefc, now you know why I scored so little on the 'Facebook Fines' thread!

Clearly I lead a very sheltered life and no I've never been on a snowHead bash. Very Happy
snow conditions
queen bodecia, keeping up with the Charlatanefcs is quite a task.
latest report
[quote="halfhand"]So they asked 1000 skiers and boarders - so what?
[/quot]

So that is quite a large sample size.

Quote:
Out of how many go skiing/boarding? How many of that sample were a representative cross-section of skiing/boarding Brits - from the tee-total through moderate drinkers to the complete beer monsters. Or was the total sample taken from a nightclub at 3am? No I've not read the whole report but I reckon it was flawed research

It very possibly was, but we simply don't have sufficient information to know. It is rare that a survey would go to the trouble of getting that large a sample without also making some efforts to ensure it was a broad sample, but even then, it was probably only a few large resorts (maybe only one), and habits in different resorts are likely to be very different.
ski holidays
I've skied more than half cut in the am plenty of times.

Couple of face shots soon takes care of things Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy