Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Ski Hire & School

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI

Can people help with where to go for ski hire and school in Mayrhofen.

The company we are going with only supply full packages, however, we require less.

6 Lift Passes
2 x Pairs of Skis (1 x Intermediate 1 x Intermediate/advance)
2 x Pairs of skis and boots (2 x Beginner/Intermediate

The only 4 of us are looking for ski school for 5 Mornings only.

Can someone recommend any schools or hire companies please, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GoodMorgan, welcom to snowHeads snowHead

I wrote up a trip report for last Jan with info on my recommendation for ski hire - here's the relevant section

Quote:
Ski Hire: Luggi’s Ski Hire http://www.rentski.info/indexuk.htm
I found Luggi’s from a recommendation on Trip Advisor and a link via the official Mayrhofen website. Whilst their range and volume of equipment is more limited than many of the other hire places, the equipment was very well looked after and has skis for all abilities with advice on the best type/length according to one’s requirements. I went for a technical race carver at the top of the range, requesting 165cm against the recommendation to drop to 160cm (I’m 178cm). Sure enough, I was back the next day to take the recommendation. The Blizzards are an Austrian ski designed at the top end of the range for racing. The longer ski just took too much pressure to complete carved turns consistently. The shorter version was excellent – super grippy and assured even at fairly high speeds. I did a few GS courses around the resort including a very rutted and frozen run. The skis never let me down, even though the legs eventually did!!

The prices were up to 25% less than the others I looked at. When I went to book on-line prior to the trip, the ordering platform facility was full, but a call to Luggi enabled me to reserve our equipment at the reduced on-line rate and pay on the day hire commenced.

Luggi provided a wealth of local, useful information. He spoke excellent English (he regularly visits the UK to stay with his son who is a director of a major South West radio station). I couldn’t recommend them highly enough, hence a link to their website. Owing to their New Year, Mayrhofen was awash with Russians which Luggi advised would mean a good hour’s queue for the Penkenbahn lift. He suggested we walk to the station (5 minutes), and take the Green Line bus to Tux-Voderslanersbach, a 15 minute coach journey. The Rastkogelbahn lift was queue-free and provided access to some great blue and red runs to get the ski legs back. The reverse journey also eliminates the shoving hordes at the end of the day.

We were also given the times for taking the train to Zell am Ziller and recommended to a piste side restaurant tucked away in a “corner”. More excellent advice from Luggi.

Their hire shop is located roughly halfway up the main drag in Mayrhofen on the right hand side, tucked away in a side street. There are usually flags on the high street indicating their presence.

Hope that's of help.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry - should have mentioned - they also run a ski school. The SO had a lesson with them which she was very positive about. Again IIRC it was a little less expensive than one or two other places.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i learnt in mayhofen about four years ago - four of us shared the cst of a private intsuctor for mornings - we went with petter habbeler's (spelling?? - the ausitrian guy that climbed everest without oxygen) ski school and i thought they were very good - much better way of doing it than joining a ski school class i thought
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Mayrhofen a few years ago and went with one of the local ski school group lessons. I cant remember the name of the school but they were the ones with the red uniforms. They seemed quite flexible on the number of days you wanted lessons (I had 3x mornings) and I was impressed with the instrustors. They were friendly, excellent English and made the whole experience fun, even in poor visability.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suggest you try Luggi's Rent a ski:
A-6290 Mayrhofen
Hauptstraße 446
Austria

http://www.rentski.info/uk/Welcome.html

A real gem of a find - it must be one if not the longest running ski rental shops in Mayrhofen. Luggi has been in the ski business for over thirty years and has built his business on giving sound advice and good service at a fair price. The shop is small with no great bells and whistles, but what this man doesn't know about skiing isn't worth knowing.

For the best prices book online. The service and equipment choice is excellent. Luggi really knows his stuff and will suggest what you need - not try to sell you something that you don't. The range of equipment he has caters to all levels.

The shop is easy to find, set back from the main street. Just look for his banners.

Also, ask Luggi for tips of where to ski in peek season. There is nothing this man does not know about his equipment, or where best to spend your days skiing in the Zillertal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Xeipon, Yep, great guy and excellent service.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Luggi
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definately Luggi, I trust him implicitly to make sure my dd, who has been skiiing since she was 4 - she is now 6 has the right equipment and boots.

The standard of maintenance of all the skis is second to none, my otherhalf was able to try out some mega skis, which he later bought via Luggi, using his discount.

If something isn't right, he will change it in a heartbeat. Yes he is small, has less stock than some of the bigger companies, but what he has got, will be the best.

As for ski schools, we have only tried two, the second one - SMT has been fantastic. They are right at the top of the Penkenbahn, which is a convenient meeting place. The instructors all speak good English, or are English, they make it fun, but relaxed. I followed our dd for a short while to check she was OK and they had little stops along the way to all take skis off, sit and have a game and a sweet/chocolate, before carrying on (she was 4), it was pitched perfectly, so they didn't get tired and had fun. They also did things like give them hoops to 'steer' like a car on the way down - lots of beeping involved, as they followed each other down.

What I liked best about SMT is that they are happy to move kids up and down as they progress or not, which keeps the groups even. They don't go on age, but ability. They have the option of doing a whole day - you can either take them out for lunch - or they have lunch with the others in a little dining room, or just mornings. However, the classes are smaller in afternoons, so the learning curve is much greater.

There is a little down hill competition on the last day and everyone gets a certificate and a medal and a card that shows their progress, that you can take back the next year.

Hope this helps.

Oh I forgot to say they have a little snow train - what more could a child ask for!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wonder how many ski trips, sets of skis and lessons GoodMorgan has been on/had since this thread kicked off in Jan 2010..... Laughing

He could have given us some feedback..... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy