Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots for very thin legs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Due to long term injury (and genetics), my calves and ankles seem to be getting thinner by the year, unfortunately I can't do much exercise to change this as I run risk of recurring injury which would mean no skiing. Seems to be limited information on the internet so I would appreciate if anybody had any advice as to what manufacturer/model may be suitable for chicken legs and if possible what I should avoid.

many thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would point you towards FullTilts with Intuition liners but you'd be best going to see a descent bootfitter who can look at your whole foot and discuss your skiing experience and aspirations.

http://fulltiltboots.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strolz
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To help pad out the calve area I've used shin guards which are ski specific, think I got them from Ellis Brigham. They now sell Ski An'gel a gel based guard which is not what I've got but may be of use to you? If not try Google 'ski shin guards'?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try Atomic Hawx (probably the 80 if you are very light) and get the shop to move the buckles to the tightest hole. Spending an extra £50 on custom footbeds will help give a more secure fit to the ankle area as well as improving your control.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Baxter1, Deffo see good boot fitter. Its hard enough to get this right with out being at any physiological extreme. Much will depend on your foot shape aswell.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Baxter1, Where do you live. snowHead 's might have some local recommendations for you.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
get the boot which fits the foot shape, then worry about the cuff of the boot, in most cases pretty major alterations can be achieved very simply, a good fitter should be able to sort this out
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With Strolz boots you can have cuffs to suit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No expert but as already said thin legs and ankles you should try Atomic Hawx.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saintstephen wrote:
No expert but as already said thin legs and ankles you should try Atomic Hawx.

also as said, get the foot shape sorted and then deal with the skinny leg, absolutly no point having a boot which fits round the skinny leg only to have the foot swimming around...and before anyone says the Hawx is a slim fitting boot NO IT IS NOT, it is a 100mm last so medium in width and average in volume
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It Doesn't sound like you shoudl be skiing, but see a decent bootfitter.
I don't think the Atomic Hawx would be one to look at, however the Full tilt may work.
It really does depend on your foot shape though firstly as spoilers, padding etc can be used to get a good grip around the leg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a similiar problem. Low volume, narrow feet with thin ankles and calves.[not a pleaseant sight!]
I made an expensive error and went down the Strolz route. Even with the narrow cuff and the [red] racing? model it is not a low volume boot. If you have a really wide foot or significantly abnormal shape then the ability to customise the foot area [making it bigger] may be an advantage.
Yes the liner is excellent quality and it can be packed out with foam for a snug fit. However like any boot your foot needs to fit the shell. I ended up with shin bang, blisters etc.. [For which I recommend snow angel]. If you require a performance fit I would avoid this solution, if you want a comfy boot for pootling around the pistes then they may suffice. One other point about the strolz is that the foam also fills under the arch and becomes part of the arch support. This gives nowhere near as solid support as eg a cork insole.

Like many others I made the pilgrimage to Bicester and have a shell that fits my foot [Atomic Cs140]. I would recommend a visit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm going to sit on the fence and say....

Strolz. Go ahead if you like wasting cash or think you are an Onion. (Sorry to hear you found out the costly way retsil)

A decent bootfitter can go a better job with a specific shell, foam liner and custom insole.

However, Foam liners are hard, cold and not really for the masses. Zip Fit's new liners offer a much better solution in my view. That's if you even need a custom liner (most people don't)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like the starting point has to be a decent bootfitter. Perhaps a (customisable) Dale boot ?

James Choularton @ Outdoor Traders (http://www.outdoortradersuk.com/) may possibly be able to help (fits Dale & lots of other things).
ski holidays
again daleboot is a good boot for the right foot but over 95% of peopledo not need to spend £500 on a ski boot which almost certainly need some additional padding in the cuff area
snow conditions
Which is why I said `and lots of other things` (having prefaced my comments with go to `a decent bootfitter`).

I would hope that any decent bootfitter would recommend what he/she considered the appropriate boot for the person in question - be it a Dale, a Strolz or anything else.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 24-01-10 16:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
many thanks for all the responses. Was actually out in States last week, colleague brought me to a ski shop. After much deliberation and several boot fittings, I ended up with Technica Megafit as it felt best fit and had option to tighten back of boots at calf. I think as Jonty said above it ended up with the bootfitter coming up with options and then working through it. I'll find out in March how good he was!

thanks again
snow report
Thanks jonty I really appreciate the support....Seems like some people dont get that Daleboot offer a great boot fitting solution in todays market of mass produced product. That isnt to rule out other products because I/we dont! The simple fact of the matter is that there is a solution for all skiers out there.

If you put a great boot in the hands of a crap bootfitter then more than likely the result will be crap!

Custom bootfitting is about more than boots. Its about listening to your clients asking what they want and helping them make the right selection. If that selection is in anyway not what the client wants then a great bootfitter makes it right! Buying a boot of the shelf and having some guy heat mould an only marginally customisable liner is a custom boot fitting.

The addition of padding and alteration of both shells and liners is part of having a custom fitted boot....end of story. What work for one foot doesnt work for the other. I would rather have a boot with addition heel reduction and a clog that is bespoke than any stock shell. At the end of the day its the enjoyment of the sport and not the brand on the foot.....
snow conditions
Oh and by the by....if you take a salomon boot..say the impact cs 10 you are going to pay 270ish for it and the liners are nothing great. Add a zipfit or other custom liner and a good orthotic the boot rapidly approaches £500 so dont knock Daleboot for offering, custom shell mods by the manufacturer on the original lasts, three stock liners that are 100% heat mouldable and remouldable and cant alignment for about £500 that is BS.....
latest report
I purchased Daleboots this year because i have unusual feet that wouldn't suit an off the shelf product. I was very nervous about buying the boots as i had no prior knowledge of the product, but after skiing for years with pains and aches in my feet i had to do something so i took the plunge. The overall price for the boot and footbed was very expensive and took some finding on top of the price of the ski holiday.
However, after skiing for ten full days this year they have turned out to be the best purchase i have ever made! I can't wait to get back to the mountains soon so i can ride in comfort.
I love skiing and being in the mountains but hated the pain that i had to go through every holiday, not now!
I think the key is to buy a pair of boots from a good boot fitter, the boot fitter should recommend the boot for you whether its Salomon, Daleboot or something else. he can then work his magic so the boot fits the foot perfectly.
With a bit of luck we can all then ride free of pain Very Happy
snow conditions
Baxter1, If you have thin feet as well Rossignol, Lange, Nordica.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy