Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hans Knauss banned for 18 months for taking steroids

Poster: A snowHead
The FIS has banned Hans Knauss for 18 months following his positive test for a banned anabolic steriod. FIS stated that it believed Knauss did not act intentionally when taking the steroid but was negligent in taking an unrecommended food supplement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/skiing/4309525.stm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's probably the end of his career then. He's already in his 30's.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, a sad end to his career as everyone seems to agree that he did not set out to use the steriods.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

everyone seems to agree

Really? What was this food supplement? Was it publicly known to contain anabolic steroids? It obviously wasn't tomato ketchup.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, does tomato ketchup contain steroids?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My god im glad it wasn't a footballer, he would have been hung, drawn, and chuck in the bin on here rob@rar.org.uk, Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

David Goldsmith, does tomato ketchup contain steroids?

In the sense of "Steroidz Meanz Heinz"? No, I don't think so!
It's not clear from the BBC report when Knauss ingested this stuff, but it's become common knowledge that these 'food supplements' can contain banned substances. The FIS have given him the benefit of the doubt in stating that he inadvertently fell foul of the rules, but (as has been said so many times) it's not fair on other athletes not to apply the 'rules are rules' principle.
I took a way more sympathetic view to Alain Baxter, BTW, and not because he's a Brit. His was a real borderline case, that deserved flexibility in applying an absolute rule.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, I too took a much more sympathetic line with Alain Baxter, to the point that I think he had a major injustice did to him. For Knauss I'm simply taking at face value what the FIS have said: it was inadvertant and presumbably he did not set out to gain unfair advantage. At the time of his A sample test there was speculation that he had bought the food supplement over the internet. I said at the time that this was an incredibly stupid thing to do if it was the case. However, none of this is at odds with my opinion that it is a sad end to his skiing career given the circumstances which everyone seems to acknowldege. Bode Miller, for example, described the cases of both Baxter and Knauss as "bull$hit".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a lot of BS talked about drugs in sport and I think that FIS have done the campaign to get drugs out of sport a disservice by stating that they believed it was unintentional and not banning him for 2 years.

The taking of supliments is done for one reason only, to improve your performance. If you take a substance to improve your performance and don't know what is in it, you deserve whatever you get. The problem is that you cannot distinguish between those who know the supliment contains illegal drugs and those who don't. The only person who knows with absolute certianty whether Knauss knew there were steroids in the supliment is Knauss and even if he did know, he is unlikely to admit it.

And that is the problem with all these cases. To get rid of drugs we need a policy that states if drugs are found in your body, you are guilty unless proven innocent and you cannot take character references and the accused's own word as evidence. There have been too many "I cannot believe he/she took drug" to allow such nieve excuses.

The only case that I have come across where there has been mitigating circumstances that warrant a not guilty verdict is that of Greg Redeski, who was given the drug by a representative of the sport governing body.

Alain Baxter was unfortunate but he didn't have an injustice done to him. He self administered an illegal drug and while we all believe that it was an accident, if you let him off then any cheat could take the drug and then claim the Baxter defence. I think he was lucky to get such an insignificant ban because there are many sports where he would have got 2 years.

It doesn't matter what sport it is, get caught with an illegal drug in your body or miss a test, you should get a 2 year ban for the first offence and banned for life for a second. Extenuating circumstances need to be exactly that. "I didn't know" and "I forgot" don't stack up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SimonN, there is considerable merit in your argument, but in my opinion any rule which is so tightly contrained and enforced that it occasionally seems to run counter to natural justice is going to risk not being supported by the people who most matter - the athletes themsleves. In Baxter's case I think the best person to decide on the wisdom of the IOC's decision is the guy who gained the most from the decision to disqualify Baxter, Benni Raich. He made it clear that he thought the result should stand, and in my book that counts for a lot more than the IOC or the various appeal bodies that Baxter sat in front of.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SimonN, I tend to agree with what you said, however I do feel for Alain Baxter, after all he simply went out and got an inhaler that he new was legal and had been approved, only to find that it wasn't due to the US version having a tiny amount of possibly perfomance enhancing drug in it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk, I do have a lot of sympathy with Baxter but having sympathy doesn't change the facts. he was caught with a banned substance in his body and if he was let off, you have to let off everybody else who uses his defence. When it comes to drugs in sport, a zero tollerence is the only option because if you give even the slightest mixed message, the cheats jump on it.

You state that there is a risk of losing support of those who really matter, the athletes. This is not so. Most athletes who understand this are as passionate as me about this issue. Look at the stance that the likes of Paula Radcliffe, seb Coe and others take. And they are the high profile ones.

And you cannot say just because the person who benefitted from Baxter's disqualification thinks the result should stand that makes it the right view. It shows total ignorance of drugs in sport, how the cheats work and the problems of setting precidents.

Why am I so passionate? Well, I used to be a member of the British Olympic Sailing Squad and I now help coach people in that squad. I do talk to athletes and coaches in other sports as well. I have been tested a few times and know a lot of people who are regularly tested. I was actually warned about my caffeine intake getting close to being illegal (its a dioretic used to reduce water in the body and hence reduce weight). All I was doing was drink coffee, which I am addicted to. But it is impossible to tell if I was doing it to artificailly reduce weight or whether it was because I liked the stuff. Today, I would fail a drugs test because I drink too much coffee and take over the counter drugs to ease aches and pains of an abused body.

The more you know about drugs in sport and more importantly, the lengths cheats go to to cover up, the more you become intollerent about it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SimonN, I don't disagree with you on the need for drug rules to catch cheats and those who inadvertently gain advantage through cock-up or conspiracy. I have no problem with Knauss being banned, even if it was unintentional it was stupid of him and now he is paying the penalty. But as far as I know Baxter does does not fall into either of these categories: it was recognised that he did not deliberately set out to cheat, and the particular variant of the banned substance that he had inadvertantly taken had no benefit for his discipline. Any system which knowingly sacrifices innocent victims through draconian application of the rules brings sport into disrepute. I vaguely recall after all the Baxter appeals had been completed the IOC or perhaps the Court of Arbitration in Sport said that they would be revieiwing their rules to try to avoid the kind of situation that they got into with the Baxter case. Did this happen, or am I just getting that bit wrong?

I agree that the fact Benni Raich returned Baxter's bronze medal doesn't make it the right view, but as a former Olympic athlete yourself don't you think the opinions of current atletes should carry a great deal of weight? I certainly do.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, I wish I was good enough to be a "former Olympic Athlete"! I only made the squad, which was made up of those who might stand a chance of going to the main event. To be honest, I was never really good enough but I got squad status because my crew was somebody the team wanted to nurture. They were proved right. After I stopped he sailed another type of boat and went to Sydney in 2000. I still dream of wearing the uniform and walking out into a packed stadium for th opening ceremony...........

I do recall that there were suggestions of looking at the rules following what happened to Baxter but i believe that it was found to be impractical to change the rules without leaving loopholes for cheats. I also have to disagree with you that there was a draconian application of the rules in Baxter's case. The IOC and the Court of Arbitration in Sport both agreed that the rules had been fairly applied.

I don't believe that it matters whether the drug did or did not enhance performance. The moment you go there you open up a whole load of problems - people claiming a particular drug doesn't help their sport etc. On top of that, while there may not be a physilogical benefit from a drug there might be a pshycological benefit derived by the individual.

It isn't easy to satisfy all situations. I really feel for Baxter. I don't think he tried to cheat and the mistake he made is totally understandable It was my ambition for many years to win a medal and I can only imagine what it must be like to have it taken away. But there is a simple premiss in which the whole drug thing is based and that is that individuals are responsible for what they put in their bodies.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hold a very simplistic veiw on this issue.

If you take something that is either natural or unnatural you know as a sports man that your govening body bans certain drugs / sustances. You are given a list of these subsatances and it is your responsability to make sure what you are taking does not contain these banned substances.

If you have used brand X for several years and then for example you use brand Y becuase it is cheaper or claims to provide better performance then you surely check to see it doesn't contain anything banned before you start to take it.

If by mistake you take something banned it is still you who took it.

May be in todays society of not wanting to take accountability or responsability for our actions leads certain people to get themselves into these mess's

I agree that with alan baxter he used a product in the Uk which was legal but the same product manufactured in a different country contained banned substances. The responsability was still on him to check but he just assumed.

The failed test is disappointing and im sure he felt sick about it but it is still his problem.

Think of it this way, what if all the skiers knew of the difference in the product but then treid to justify thire action with the same answer as Alan. Then surely this is cheating.
snow conditions
Its a view that many take Super Eagle, but do you think you, or the person sitting next to you on the Clapham omnibus, would pass a drugs test if it were taken now?

I bet a lot of us would fail for stuff we never dreamed of is considered 'drugs' by a faceless set of administrators.

The cynic in me tends to believe that regarding the Baxter case, he comes from GB which is an Olympic Association that holds no weight with the IOC when they are assessing for Winter Olympic candidates, (ie when the Rolexs etc get handed out.)
snow report
T-Dub wrote:
Its a view that many take Super Eagle, but do you think you, or the person sitting next to you on the Clapham omnibus, would pass a drugs test if it were taken now?

I bet a lot of us would fail for stuff we never dreamed of is considered 'drugs' by a faceless set of administrators.

The cynic in me tends to believe that regarding the Baxter case, he comes from GB which is an Olympic Association that holds no weight with the IOC when they are assessing for Winter Olympic candidates, (ie when the Rolexs etc get handed out.)
Sorry, but what you say doesn't stack up.

Firstly, the drugs that are banned are not chosen by "faceless administrators" but by qualified doctors who research this stuff. All of them are banned for a reason and the reason you aren't aware of what is banned is because its not your job to know. But it is part of a sportman's job to know. It is as intrinsic as the rules of the particular sport. I used to carry a card in my wallet that listed all banned substances and I would check ingredients of all medication. In addition, I never took supliments as I could not vouch for their content. Comes with the territory.

Secondly, you are wrong as to our weight when it comes to choosing winter Olympic candidates. Each country has just one vote and the fact that the UK has a high number of IOC officials does mean we have more influence. However, no country can influence results of drugs tests and while, if I were cynical, I might accept that the IOC commitee who decided Baxter's fate might have a biase, the Court for Arbitration in Sport does not and they upheld the decision.

If you knew about drugs in sport and in particular, the rules regarding them, you would understand that there was no way under the rules, that Baxter could have been treated any differently.
latest report
T-Dub, I don't much care whether athletes take drugs or not, but the fact that you or I might not pass an athlete's drugs test right now is irrelevant to Baxter's (or any other athlete's) guilt. If I was competing in a sports event (fat chance, I must admit), I'd make damn sure that I took nothing which could contain banned stuff. Athletes have pleaded the old 'I only had a Werthers Original last Tuesday week' excuse for years, and all athletes must know the dangers of taking any drugs, especially in a complex mixture such as a nasal spray or a 'dietary supplement' (nudge, nudge).

Baxter (and I've nothing against the bloke) was either deliberately using banned drugs or he used a nasal spray in all innocence, in which case he must be an idiot. He doesn't appear to be an idiot, and even if he isn't the sharpest knife in the box, he presumably has people around him who are reasonably sensible. Same applies to this Knauss bloke.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 4-03-05 16:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
Baxter (and I've nothing against the bloke) was either deliberately using banned drugs or he used a nasal spray in all innocence, in which case he must be an idiot.
Although I agree with what the concequences were, the facts don't suggest he is an idiot and I think that comment is totally unfair and ungrounded. Baxter used the same brand of nasal spray as he used in the UK. it was in the same packaging. In the UK, it does not contain illegal drugs. Elsewhere it does. He was given a sheet pointing out which drugs not to use but he was so familiar with the spray, he didn't pick up on the fact the ingredients are different. Unlucky, some would say. I have to admit, I always used to check every new packet of drugs even if it was one I was familiar with just in case it had changed but my father was a pharmacist so maybe I am more in tune with that sort of thing.
ski holidays
Doesn't really affect the argument above, but an interesting aside to this affair, from memory, was the part of Baxter's case that proved the FIS categorisation for this particular drug was too broad-ranging and actually covered two distinctly different varieties of the product - one performance-enhancing, the other not. The one in Baxter's nasal spray was the latter. I've got a feeling the drug classification has since been revised as a result...
snow report
richmond, my understanding is that Baxter often has trouble with a blocked nose because of a particular sinus condition. He has used Vicks Sinex Inhaler since he was a child to alleviate the condition, particularly for sleeping. He had checked that this over-the-counter medication was acceptable to the relevant authorities (I think both the BOC and the FIS). When he was in Park City for the Olympics be bought a Vicks Inhaler. Unfortunately the composition used in the US version is different to the composition that Vicks use in the UK and the rest of Europe. It was the Vicks Inhaler (US version) which contained the banned substance. If this was the first time the Baxter had used the Vicks Inhaler and he had not had it approved by the relevant authorities I would agree with you that he is an idiot. But I think the facts show he had taken the necessary steps to remain drug free, and the mistake he made was one which I believe anybody could make.

The US Vicks inhaler contains levomethamphetemine which is an isomer of methamphetamine. Another isomer of methamphetamine is called dextromethamphetamine, more commonly known as the recreational drug 'speed', which is what some media coverage focused on at the time of Baxter's positive tests. The levomethamphetemine variant is not regarded as performance-enhancing, but obviously the the dextromethamphetamine variant is performance-enhancing in an explosive discipline like slalom. Unfortunately the IOC and the CAS did not allow Baxter to present evidence to show that his test result was based on the low level (25 nanograms) of levomethamphetemine found in his urine - he was banned on the basis of non-specified methamphetamine.

As I see it Baxter lost his medal for a mistake which was unlucky rather than the result of stupidity or the desire to cheat. To make matters worse the illegal drug found in his system was not performance-enhancing, but was simply lumped in with other chemically similar drugs which might have given him an advantage. Despite offering evidence to show this, the drug rules were, in my opinion, operated like a blunt instrument. I hope that, as PG suggested, the drug rules have been refined since the Baxter case to prevent this kind of injustice happening to other athletes.
ski holidays
SimonN, I did say that he doesn't appear to be an idiot (I've looked at his website, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt; the camera can be soooo cruel).

Either he took the drug deliberately, naughty fellow, serves him right, or he took it recklessly or stupidly, idiot, serves him right. There doesn't seem to be a third possibilty.

What was he doing taking a nasal spray or anything else, especially so close to a competition? The world is full of athletes who apparently innocently took innocuous sounding stuff that turned out to 90% speed (or whatever); he should have known better and I find it very hard to believe that he didn't.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, our posts crossed, I think. I must sound as if I have it for Baxter; I don't, and I was sorry when he lost his medal. I don't particularly mind if athletes do use drugs, if they want to; they abuse their bodies in so many other ways, they might as well. Make it a free for all, test everyone and publish the results.

But ..... I remain puzzled that a professional athlete was even thinking about sticking stuff out of a shop up his nose close to a competition. If he has problems with his hooter, he must surely have had a standard remedy known to be OK which he carried with him. It's hard for me to see what happened to him as an injustice.

Anyway, it was a shame.
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
Either he took the drug deliberately, naughty fellow, serves him right, or he took it recklessly or stupidly, idiot, serves him right. There doesn't seem to be a third possibilty.

What was he doing taking a nasal spray or anything else, especially so close to a competition? The world is full of athletes who apparently innocently took innocuous sounding stuff that turned out to 90% speed (or whatever); he should have known better and I find it very hard to believe that he didn't.

I thought I outlined a third possibility, but perhaps you didn't read my post?
ski holidays
richmond, he had full approval to use the vicks nasal spray, what he didn't know was that the US Vicks Inhaler was different to the European Vicks Inhaler in that it included one non performance enhancing varient of methamphetamine, if you went into a chemist and asked for a particular brand of paracetomol in the UK and the same brand in the US you would not expect there to be a differance, he was unlucky to find that there was a difference, even more unlucky to find that it was a drug that due to testing inadaquacies was on a banned list even though and everyone agreed this, the particular varient in the inhaler does not enhance performance. In my opinion that was not reckless, stupid naughty or anything other than unlucky - Mind you I bet he double checks the fine print of everything he takes now !
ski holidays
richmond, oops, crossed posts again!

Alain has used a standard remedy (Vicks Nasal Inhaler) known to be OK for a number of years. The fact that this is readily available just about anywhere would mean it unnecessary to carry supplies with you.

I think what happened to Alain was more than a shame, and although I wouldn't want to get into a disagreement with you on the meaning of the word 'injustice', that's what I think happened to him on this case.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, we've crossed again. I that think I included your third possibility in my 'reckless or stupid' group.

If the drug is not performance enhancing, that seems to me a better ground for complaint about the outcome than the circumstances in which he took it. Am I right in remembering that a Canadian (?) snowboarder lost a medal for testing positive for hash? That seemed a bit harsh, as I can't really see hash as a performance enhancing drug.
latest report
I think all the so called recreational drugs are banned because they are generally illegal in most parts of the world rather than any specific performence enhancing qualities
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, I find your whole attitude to drugs in sport most puzzling.

"I don't particularly mind if athletes do use drugs, if they want to; they abuse their bodies in so many other ways, they might as well. Make it a free for all, test everyone and publish the results."

What about those of us who don't want to use drugs. Why should we be forced to just to be able to compete on a level playing field. Your ideas would condemn all athletes to take drugs which can have lasting effects on your health and will almost certainly lead to premature death.

"Am I right in remembering that a Canadian (?) snowboarder lost a medal for testing positive for hash? That seemed a bit harsh, as I can't really see hash as a performance enhancing drug."

A meadl winner in a sport like Snowboarding is a big role model for many youngsters. You think its OK for such a person to smoke hash and be seen to be breaking the law? It would be quite right for him to lose his medal and be banned for bringing sport into disrepute. As it happens, he got off claiming he didn't smoke hash but that he had it in his body due to "passive smoking"!

If it is your view that to use a remedy that you have used for years and have been told is ok is "reckless or stupid", I think you have a very warped view of the matter.
ski holidays
Baxter was stitched up, simple as.

The result didnt follow the script, so Baxter got his medal taken away and given to someone who was 'more worthy' ie an Austrian (with an Austrian olympic bid on teh horizon). Great respect to Raich for his declining it.

I have nothing but contempt for the way the then semi-corrupt IOC turned an ernest athlete into a convicted drugs cheat, a stain that will haunt him for ever, over a technicality that belied even their own rule book.

And the IOC committeemen that oversaw a new benchmark giving and taking handouts prior to the Lake Placid games? Who will ever point a finger or make a joke at their expense? Who even remembers them?

At least the IOC have had the cleaners put through them since.

To return to the thread. Shame for Knauss, but there it is. The rules relating to performance enhancers (rather than retarders) is indeed written down and undrstood by all

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 4-03-05 19:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
richmond,

Quote:

Am I right in remembering that a Canadian (?) snowboarder lost a medal for testing positive for hash? That seemed a bit harsh, as I can't really see hash as a performance enhancing drug.

Ross Rebagliati won a gold medal and then tested positive form cannabis. He claimed it was due to passive smoking at a "typical snowboarders' party" and this defence actually held up, so that he kept his medal.

Yeah....and Clinton didn't inhale.
snow report
T-Dub wrote:
Baxter was stitched up, simple as.

The result didnt follow the script, so Baxter got his medal taken away and given to someone who was 'more worthy' ie an Austrian (with an Austrian olympic bid on teh horizon). Great respect to Raich for his declining it.

I have nothing but contempt for the way the then semi-corrupt IOC turned an ernest athlete into a convicted drugs cheat, a stain that will haunt him for ever, over a technicality that belied even their own rule book.

And the IOC committeemen that oversaw a new benchmark giving and taking handouts prior to the Lake Placid games? Who will ever point a finger or make a joke at their expense? Who even remembers them?

At least the IOC have had the cleaners put through them since.

To return to the thread. Shame for Knauss, but there it is. The rules relating to performance enhancers (rather than retarders) is indeed written down and undrstood by all
Total BS and ignorant rubbish. So, the IOC was corrupt for puting an illegal substance into Baxter? Or where they corrupt for taking his medal away because he had an illegal substance inside him? And was the Court of Arbitration in Sport corrupt when they reviewed the case and stated that under the rules as they were written, the IOC had no option but to take the course of action they did.

I feel sorry for Baxter the the fact is that he was tested positive for a banned substance. There is no doubt about that. Whether the substance should be banned or not isn't the issue. In addition, it was self administered so he was totally responsible for it being there. The rules are simple. If you have a banned substance inside you, you are out. The only defence is that somebody else deliberately gave you the substance in a way that you would have no knowledge of (Redeski).

Baxter got treated both fairly and leaniently. According to te rules, he should have received a 2 year ban and the ban he received didn't prevent him from competing.

Its time to get over the Baxter affair. Having seen the whole thing from the inside I have a lot of faith in the system and the rules. You cannot make exceptions.
snow report
Acacia wrote:
richmond,

Quote:

Am I right in remembering that a Canadian (?) snowboarder lost a medal for testing positive for hash? That seemed a bit harsh, as I can't really see hash as a performance enhancing drug.

Ross Rebagliati won a gold medal and then tested positive form cannabis. He claimed it was due to passive smoking at a "typical snowboarders' party" and this defence actually held up, so that he kept his medal.

Yeah....and Clinton didn't inhale.
An interesting case and the way it was proven has been used since. The smoking of canabis leaves tell tail traces in the hair and they were able to show that as the levels he was found to have didn't correlate with his hair samples. The levels were too low to have been due to inhaling from a joint unless it was some time in the past and the levels were subsiding. If that had been the case, his hair sample would have shown when the spike occurred. His hair sample showed no sign of him having used canabis and therefore it was easy to show that he had either smoked a stupidly weak joint or it came from passive smoking.

Sounds amazing, but its true. It does remind me that about 6 years ago I was having to provide a sample along with 3 other GB team members and one of the others stupidly asked the tester whether the test could identify recreational drugs. the testers face was a picture Laughing
ski holidays
SimonN wrote:
The rules are simple. If you have a banned substance inside you, you are out.

Well, no, that's not right. For example, last year Rainer Schoenfelder tested positive for the banned stimulant etilephrine and faced the Austrian Ski Federation's disciplinary processes. As you probably know, Schoenfelder was not banned. He denied intentional doping, saying the stimulant was contained in medicine he was taking for the flu: "I did not know there are various medications of the Influbene type and the very one sold in Austria contains etilephrine," he said. "I honestly hope everyone can see that it is nothing but a mix-up"

In my opinion there is one thing worse than bad rules, and that's rules which are applied haphazardly.
snow report
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, short and to the point.
ski holidays
SimonN, a couple of points.

I don't think that these people are role models; I think role models for most kids ar emuch closer to home. I very much doubt that some snowboarder's behaviour will change anyone else's behaviour, even a devout snowboarder's. I don't imagine that too many snowboarders need encouragement to have the odd puff anyway.

I think it is the responsibility of the role model (if that's what s/he is) to behave appropriately; if they have to be forced to do so by their sport's controlling body, it's all a bit of a sham, no?

At the risk of starting another health fascist tirade (not from you, SimonN), if the worst that someone does is have the odd toot, then they're not doing themselves r anyone else much harm.

I won't bore on about Baxter anymore, I probably have been too harsh about him. I agree with your reply to T-Dub. Don't kid yourself T-Dub; UK's failure to do well in Olympics, winter or summer (which bothers me not at all), has nothing to do with the undoubted cupidity and corruption within the IOC.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, I was unaware of the Austrian case and I cannot understand how that happened. Or maybe I do! The policy on drugs in sport is led by the World Doping Agency. Each sport needs to sign up to it with football being a very high profile sport that hasn't fully done so. Not only does a sport need to sign up, but national authorities do as well and so do major sports events, such as the Olympics.

While the Austrians might not have enforced the rules correctly, is it known whether Schoenfelder is eligable for the next Olympics? I suspect not.

The point is that the application of the rules depends on who has jurisdiction. If it is the IOC, the rules will be applied to the letter. If a national authority or a sport decides not to use the rules, that is for them to decide. The Ferdinand case is a classic example where the WDA and FIFA both wanted a 2 year ban but the FA decided not to for reasons best known to itself but probably becasue they needed him for the England team and didn't have the funds for the law case that would have followed a longer ban.

I do agree totally that it is rediculous that the rules are applied haphazardly but the people who are at fault are those who do not enforce them properly, not the ones who do.

richmond, I think you are mistaken if you don't think these people are role models. maybe not British kids but if you saw the kids hanging around snowparks when these guys are riding, you would realise that they copy everything - cloths, equipment, brand of beer and yes, drugs. Sports people of all sorts are role models and as such, do have a responsibilty to act accordingly. If they don't, the sport should stop them being in a position to be a role model.

As for the use of hash, I it should be legalised but until it is, sportpeople should not take it as they are role models.
latest report
SimonN wrote:
While the Austrians might not have enforced the rules correctly, is it known whether Schoenfelder is eligable for the next Olympics? I suspect not.

The IOC took no action. Schoenfelder will compete in Turin if selected by the Austrian Ski Federation.

My concern is that if the drug testing regime is not flexible enough to take into account specific circumstances there will be injustices and there will be times when national federations and even the IOC itself will be forced to bend/break the rules to ensure that natural justice is served. To say that the IOC will follow the rules to the letter isn't accurate. For example, the Johann Muelhegg case from the 2002 Olympics. The IOC took away two golds from Muelhegg (10k and 30k freestyle x-country) even though he passed the drug tests after these races. The reason they did this was because a few days later he failed drug tests in other events that he was a medalist and was clearly following a sustained drug abuse programme. If they IOC had followed its own rules he would have been able to keep the first two medals, which clearly would have run against natural justice for all the athletes who he beat. I think that a couple of Russion x-country skiers also had medals stripped under similar circumstances at the same Games.

I don't think it is acceptable to sacrifice the performance and reputation of innocent athletes like Alain Baxter in the desire to rid sport of drug-taking. Bad laws, even if they are consistently applied (which they tend not to be), will bring sport and its managing authorities into disrepute and don't serve the anti-drug movement in the long run.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Sorry to say you are misguided when you say that the IOC took away the golds from Muelhegg. They didn't, because they felt the rules didn't allow them to do so. It was the Court for Arbitration in Sport that finally interpreted the rules as allowing the medals to be taken away.

And that's the whole point. There are totally independent organisations who make the rules and the rulings, namely The World Anti Doping Authority and The Court for Arbitration in Sport. The IOC does what it sees fit and there are fail safes to ensure if they make a mistake, it can be corrected. This is to ensure that there aren't the inconsistancies that you claim there are.

With regard to Schoenfelder, it seems he was fortunate in that even if he had been banned for 2 years, he would not have missed an Olympics. If a 2 year ban had coincided with the Olympics, and even though he had not received a 2 year ban, my understanding is that under IOC rules, he would not have been elligable to compete.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy