Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

smoking ban austria

Poster: A snowHead
Look at the Greece. there's smoking ban, but i have seen ash trays in MC Donalds. In smaller airports than athens the same thing, especially when the tourist season is over.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
P.S. I have even been smoking bars in CA, US (pionieers in it) in the smaller wild west towns some 3 years ago..
The staff usually replied - we are against this policy and we don,t care.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in Kaprun a month ago and people were puffing away in the bars. However, in the Alpincentre there were no smoking areas in the restaurant area and nobody smoked in the hotel restaurant either.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haha my sincere apologies Samerberg Sue

I was in Mayrhofen for the 2009 New year and whilst I was there (or around that time) there was some form of legislation change regarding smoking in public spaces.

And although there was an increase in "Rauchen verboten" signs it did seem to have little impact on the amount of smokers in bars.

I can't stand the smell of stale tobacco laced into your clothes the following morning!!! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm no Austrian hols for me then...... Doubtless that will be the deciding factor - that they won't get my custom without a smoking ban !!!! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In Schladming more and more cafes and mountain huts are increasing the no smoking areas. It does seem no smoking is happening slowly, though the bars still are smoky and smelly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fly out to Austria Tue and forgot how the Austrians dont go along with there governments smoking ban. I shall now be extremely disappointed if I dont get to have a beer and smoke, at the same time inside a pub! Will let you all know.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jennycook, did you not ski, or indeed to to any pubs or restaurants in the UK, before the smoking ban came in?

waynos, was in Schladming before Xmas and there was a, erm, healthy amount of smoking going on, both on and off the mountain.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 2-01-11 15:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was in Vienna for four days in December, the hotel was no smoking in public areas and there was lots of cafes/bars that were non smoking.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John, there's nowt like the fanaticism of the converted! Laughing

As an ex-smoker (albeit over 30 years clean) I used to turn up my nose to huts, bars and restaurants in France, Germany, Austria, Spain, etc., with the best of them. It actually kept me outdoors skiing more which was a distinct advantage in all of the countries come lunchtime when I often had the pistes to myself. I can also remember refusing to go into the bar at Gloucester Ski Centre after work because it was too smoky! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's funny how I was less offended with smoking before the ban. I just accepted that if I ever went to a pub I would come back smelling awful and needing an immediate bath. It's so much nicer now and I find I'm far less tolerant of it. I now avoid pubs where people stand in the doorway to smoke, I don't want to walk through their smelly haze. I guess it might restrict where I go in Austria but so be it. Hopefully they will eventually get the message and put all these smelly people in a separate hut somewhere. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Indeed i did Dr John, .... no going back for me ...... i literally would not go to somewhere with no smoking ban now i have a choice.... It's an emotive subject and I'm not saying what anyone else should do ....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guys... there is no 'smoking-ban' in Austria as Samerberg Sue, stated earlier... there are smoking restrictions for certain sized bars/restaurants.

More and more places that do not need to offer a non-smoking area are now offering smoker-free areas. Dr John believe us... it is getting much better than previous years!

jennycook,
Quote:

that they won't get my custom without a smoking ban !!!!

I'm afraid that they won't be particularly worried wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can see where jennycook's coming from. We were in Austria in November and - because we are now so used to smoke-free environments - it was a shock to the system to encounter a smokey apres ski bar.

Similarly, the first time we entered a smoke-free pub (which was in Scotland, which I seem to recall banned smoking before England) was a shock - but in a good way.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richiavo - well that's not exactly true. The last part of the UK to introduce a smoking ban was in July 2007, 2 and a half years ago. In some parts, it's coming up to 4 years.
snow conditions
We walked out of quite a few mountain huts last week in the Ski Amade region because of the stink when we entered. If France and Italy can introduce (and enforce) a ban, why can't Austria?

(I have heard it rumoured that it is because there is still a state monopoly on the sale of cigarettes, and the Austrian government make so much money out of it that they are reluctant to introduce a wider ban because of the impact that would have on their income.)
snow conditions
flangesax, don't apologise on my behalf, I'm a smoker and found it liberating, not to say nostalgic, to sit at a bar and smoke. I don't mind either way, quite happy nipping out once an hour for a gasper, just made a nice change not to have to.
snow report
Pete_On_The_Snow, We were first to do it....if they could do here theres no reason why it can't be blanketly enforced everywhere else.

RobW, Our Govt make millions on duty on tobacco over here, the ban didn't make a jot of difference to that....smokers will continue to smoke, just outside the boozer/eaterie/workplace
snow report
dazman, The story was that it isn't just the duty the Austrian government gets, but a big proportion of the profits too!
latest report
flangesax wrote:
Guys... there is no 'smoking-ban' in Austria as Samerberg Sue, stated earlier... there are smoking restrictions for certain sized bars/restaurants.

More and more places that do not need to offer a non-smoking area are now offering smoker-free areas. Dr John believe us... it is getting much better than previous years!

jennycook,
Quote:

that they won't get my custom without a smoking ban !!!!

I'm afraid that they won't be particularly worried wink

No, they won't be worried at all.... and some parts of Austria actually thrive on "smoking tourism". Well, maybe "thrive" is going a bit far, but a lof of Italians like to nip over to Villach for the Kirchtag (basically a local version of Oktoberfest) and they love the fact that they can smoke there and the local businesses claim that a ban would be harmful to business. I suspect a ban will happen in Austria sooner or later, as it has happened in the UK, France, Italy, Ireland etc. If it's any consolation, I've found bars in Switzerland even worse...
ski holidays
I've just come in from a day in the Ski Welt area and was surprised to find that many of the bars I would normally expect to be smoke-filled, were actually smoke free. At lunchtime for instance the only seating we could find was in the Smoker's room in the Brandstadl Restaurant. Firstly, nobody was smoking in there and secondly it was the small room reserved for NON-smokers last year! Shocked Later on the only smokers we saw were some of the younger ski instructors at their reserved table - and they looked sheepish about it to be honest.

Later on we were in the Aualm and the Tanzboden Alm, both strongholds for die-hard smokers in previous seasons - all smoke free. Tanzboden has installed wall heaters outside above the smokers tables and the Aualm just had ashtrays (big ones) scattered around the terrace. It seems to me that the Austrian system is working, steadily but surely but without making smokers pariahs. They seem to have adopted a more adult attitude, and as more and more clients come from countries where smoking inside public places is not accepted, then they are pragmatic about it.

Fine by me - live and let live rather than enforcement by decree! Laughing
snow report
Back from Schladming and there is less smoke in the bars and hotels, some completely free of it. It's not being strictly enforced anywhere though. Still people having the odd crafty smoke and ash trays everywhere. Seems that the bigger the establishment the more chance there is of it being smoke free with a separate smoking area.
snow report
Sad Just returned from a week in Soll (Austria) smelling like the inside of an ashtray!! There is no ban in any of the hotels and bars, majority of bar staff smoke whilst working. My friends who have been to Austria before say it is not as bad as it was , so there has been a slight improvement probably because the vast majority are non smokers from the UK. However it took the edge off our holiday, so much so that we will not return until there has been a total ban.
latest report
fasttrax wrote:
:(However it took the edge off our holiday, so much so that we will not return until there has been a total ban.

Why don't you write to the tourist office & even better write to the Tirol Minister of Tourism ?
snow report
Yep thats the next port of call!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy