Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Châtel Linga Helicopter Rescue

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone local have any details on the helicopter rescue of 3 people from the Tete de Linga (little peak with the cross on it just above La Ferme des Pistes restaurant?) The helicopter went back numerous times and lowered 2 rescuers down onto the peak before recovering at least 3 people from it. They were recovered by winch and cable from what appeared to be a very inaccessible place, which didn’t really look very appealing for off piste skiing due to very little snow. Whatever they were doing up there dislodged rocks onto the piste below, one about the size of a microwave oven which took out a skier who had seen the rapidly approaching rock and had bravely waved and shouted to warn other skiers to stop (the rock narrowly missed my husband.)

I’ve tried looking on the internet but nothing coming up. The Mountain Rescuers did an amazing job.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
for anyone reading this, we are talking about a lift served summit in Chatel... afaiks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are off piste routes both sides of the top Linga run, one ending up below La Leche, the other side below the telecabine arrival. I’ve seen skiers on both but haven’t personally done either. I doubt they were in condition.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, no need to explain, we all know this should really be called PdSheads
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
“for anyone reading this, we are talking about a lift served summit in Chatel...”

That’s right. I should have put the word ‘Chatel’ in the thread title….. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That Linga piste had never been a favourite of mine. Many years ago we (in my opinion!) stupidly ended up going down it, hard packed, really busy with speedy merchants, and I absolutely froze and couldn’t turn on the RHS. Stuck. OH and our daughter were below me on the left. The longer I stayed there the worse it looked. In the end daughter G, skied down took the lift up and went into ski instructor mode, and gently eased me round and got me turning again. As we skied down to OH I think she said something along the lines ‘she was bloody terrified’. Had to go into the cafe that used to have a tree growing through the roof for a bit of recuperation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pamski, spent two days on it skiing in the rain last month, not great but perfectly fine. Once the temps plummeted and snow came, we decided to head back over the hill and try it in normal conditions. Dreadful hard pack when the rest of Chatel was in fine nick! Ended up skiing into the bank at the side at one point Very Happy So I sympathise.

Sorry to hear about the off piste incident - also hope to hear everyone is OK/recovering.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nothing more heard from this so I’m assuming such a rescue is pretty normal activity here. It’s not something I’ve ever seen before though, the majority of heli rescues seem to be picking up an injured skier from the piste for transfer to hospital (sadly seen a lot of those, and have a friend who has experienced the ride for herself.) This one seemed to be more the extraction of 3 people who’d got themselves stuck somewhere they couldn’t get unstuck from.

The helicopters have been flitting around all week though. We’ve nicknamed the grey ones ‘Digby’s Helicopter’ and the yellow one ‘Hercules’ Helicopter’ after overhearing a group discussing their plans for the evening whilst stopping for a quick beer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy