Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Beat - the worst ski trip experience ever?

Poster: A snowHead
albinomountainbadger wrote:
... the repeat custom of back bottoms? ...

That's a most peculiar turn of phrase. Is that what you typed?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
... the repeat custom of back bottoms? ...

That's a most peculiar turn of phrase. Is that what you typed?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Smiley lady on check in says flight on time. Really? Err, no, but only a little bit late. Info boards say flight on time

Quote:

5.30pm, the flight is announced as cancelled for that day. Accommodation will be provided at Crawley Arora. We should collect our bags and wait for the bus. Nothing else happens for over an hour. More milling around, more not being told anything. We call Skibeat, but they have an answerphone on telling us to call back on Monday morning. It is beginning to dawn on us that although we have booked a package holiday in order to have a tour operator smooth out any little problems so that a holiday with 5 toddlers is not hell, we are entirely on our own. An hour later and we have finally got out bags bag and look for someone to tell us where the promised bus to the hotel is. On closer examination, there is noone there to offer help or give info, so we catch a taxi to the hotel

Quote:

Gatwick, day 2. Smiley check in lady tells us we will definitely be flying to France today.

Quote:

We are informed as we get on the plane that we are going to MILAN!

Yes, what a stupid woman she is to worry about how to get to resort when SB have so clearly laid on a bus for them...even after four hours waiting without any communication she really should not question that SB will not eventually present with a bus...after all they had thus far stuck to their word all through this situation
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PJSki,

Now I didn't call you an idiot I said you strike me as one, you could still change my initial impression.

My law credentials re defamation and libel are no more than failing Tort twice during a law degree so although I clearly don't know what is right in this area I'm must be well-qualified re what is not. Or nit.

Then why didn't you say, 'I know a little bit about this becasue I studied law and in answer to your questions in my opinion is this...'?

But I do admit to being a complete idiot when it comes to interpreting the fine detail of libel law.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 24-01-10 21:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, I typed something that sounds like our souls.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

Smiley lady on check in says flight on time. Really? Err, no, but only a little bit late. Info boards say flight on time

Quote:

5.30pm, the flight is announced as cancelled for that day. Accommodation will be provided at Crawley Arora. We should collect our bags and wait for the bus. Nothing else happens for over an hour. More milling around, more not being told anything. We call Skibeat, but they have an answerphone on telling us to call back on Monday morning. It is beginning to dawn on us that although we have booked a package holiday in order to have a tour operator smooth out any little problems so that a holiday with 5 toddlers is not hell, we are entirely on our own. An hour later and we have finally got out bags bag and look for someone to tell us where the promised bus to the hotel is. On closer examination, there is noone there to offer help or give info, so we catch a taxi to the hotel

Quote:

Gatwick, day 2. Smiley check in lady tells us we will definitely be flying to France today.

Quote:

We are informed as we get on the plane that we are going to MILAN!

Yes, what a stupid woman she is to worry about how to get to resort when SB have so clearly laid on a bus for them...even after four hours waiting without any communication she really should not question that SB will not eventually present with a bus...after all they had thus far stuck to their word all through this situation

Probably the only part of the journey that was under the direct control of SB was the bus, which they delivered.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

Can anyone confirm if Ski Beat operate a blacklist of troublesome guests?

Now, that would be illegal, are you suggesting that they do? Shocked

Are you thinking along the lines of data protection and keeping information about people on a data base?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alexandra wrote:

I think a number of people on this thread are being highly critical of Pandora, one might suggest "chips on shoulders" - but no matter if Pandora was indeed the world's worst customer - what sort of shower of poo-poo runs winter holidays and then can't deal with snow? Absolutely bloody ludicrous.

All of them, when it means that aeroplanes aren't where they should be.

It isn't what happened that is the real issue, it is how it was communicated (or rather not).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PJSki wrote:
bertie bassett,
Quote:
What I think is poor is the response from Ski Beat to the issue, to the customers in resort and too this thread.

Agreed with regard to the initial response, as reported, in resort. But have they been active in this thread? In my experience companies don't get involved in making official statements or settling grievances on chat forums.

Quite a few have, on here.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
That's a bit unfair taking all of those remarks out of context IMO

Why do you consider them out of context, they are her exact words in reference to the person I mentioned?

They are out of context for the pure and simple reason that they were presented with no context whatsoever.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Just cherry pick the things that make her sound like a biatch from hell

They are not cherry picked, they are her exact words in relation to the person I referenced taken from her first post. No cherries picked from me Confused

You clearly have some difficulty with the words "cerry picked", and also with the word "context".

The fact they were her exact words, copied from her post is utterly irrelevant as to whether they were either "cherry picked" (they were), or "out of context" (they were).

Whenever there is no surrounding context, then they are out of context. Whenever you have just picked out a few phrases from the OP, then you have cherry picked.

I must admit, I am inclined to agree that from the tone of her post, it is likely the shouting by the RM was not entirely unprovoked, and neither were the reactions from the other reps.

But that doesn't stop your quotes being cherry picked and out of context.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing wrote:
albinomountainbadger,
Quote:

Can anyone confirm if Ski Beat operate a blacklist of troublesome guests?

Now, that would be illegal, are you suggesting that they do? Shocked

Why on earth do you think it might be illegal?

So long as they are not breaking anti-discrimination laws (and a few other laws relating to specific services), any retail business has the right to decide who they do business with. And that includes maintaining a list of those they do not wish to do business with in the future.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been reading this thread with interest as I too was on a Skibeat holiday that week. As I drove down I consider myself fortunate, but I can give an insight into what was going on in resort as I sat in the chalet and the chaos was the subject of much discussion by the 7 guests who had made it to resort.

Here is what I heard going on:-

Arrived in chalet at 11.30am on Saturday, at that point the chalet hosts were aware there were delays but no more.

By 5.30pm Saturday the resort team were told the flight would be going to Geneva that evening.the rep on the coach with those returning ( as I understand ) was dispatched in that direction with passengers. At aroung 7pm we heard that no-one else would be arriving that night.
I spoke to another guest who rang the chalet from England ( the hosts had gone to a meeting to discuss the next move) who at that point was trying to get info from a snowjet agent at the airport who was running point for skibeat. They were told they would not fly that night and hotels had been sorted.
Sunday dawned and at breakfast the hosts were under the impression the flight would now be heading for Lyon. When we returned from skiing that day the hosts were still under the assumption the flight was going to Lyon.
The RM came to our chalet at this point to tell the hosts that the flight had been diverted and was in the air on its way to Milan ( 6 hours by bus from Lyon ). The rep and returning passengers were on route to Milan, but had only just left Lyon.

In our chalet the people on the flight finally arrived in resort at 1am Monday morning, without the rep as they had passed him on the motorway having got on a coach organised by Titan Airways at Milan taking them to Chambery ( as I understand the airline is obliged to do this as part of its contract)

Once at Chambery there were Skibeat personnel there and it appeared to be better organised.

As we drove past both Lyon and Chambery airports on the way to resort ( and not that far from Grenoble either) it was very clear that nothing was landing at either in fact the motorway was very slow and snowy despite the presence of lots of snowploughs and traffic.

Could Skibeat have done more? Well from the stories I heard from the people on the flight over dinner on Monday night, the whole thing was a shambles whoever you travelled with TO wise,the only difference was the bigger TO's had people on the ground at Milan ( I assume they would have multiple flights each week).It was the late diversion of the flight to Milan, which should have been communicated to Skibeat by the airline earlier ( if possible ),which made the situation as it was.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RDSpearing, very insightful, thanks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

They are not cherry picked, they are her exact words in relation to the person I referenced taken from her first post. No cherries picked from me Confused

You clearly have some difficulty with the words "cerry picked"

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Pickled Beatroute
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
That's a bit unfair taking all of those remarks out of context IMO

Why do you consider them out of context, they are her exact words in reference to the person I mentioned?

They are out of context for the pure and simple reason that they were presented with no context whatsoever.

They were presented in the context of the post I made, the post you pick on is a follow up post to a question, why do you not refer to the original post or are you posting out of context Toofy Grin
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

You clearly have some difficulty with the words "cerry picked", and also with the word "context".

The fact they were her exact words, copied from her post is utterly irrelevant as to whether they were either "cherry picked" (they were), or "out of context" (they were).

Whenever there is no surrounding context, then they are out of context. Whenever you have just picked out a few phrases from the OP, then you have cherry picked.

I must admit, I am inclined to agree that from the tone of her post, it is likely the shouting by the RM was not entirely unprovoked, and neither were the reactions from the other reps.

But that doesn't stop your quotes being cherry picked and out of context.

As above in the of the original post I made not this follow up post you have sadly taken out of context, the quotes were in context. Helps if you read the thread not take select posts Toofy Grin
latest report
thefatcontroller, I like to eat spotted Dick
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Turpin
snow report
thefatcontroller, Dick

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 24-01-10 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

And there was I thinking you were a rug muncher
snow conditions
see, you take the word out of its original context (sentence, paragraph etc) then it takes on a whole new life of its own Toofy Grin
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, if you thought that then you are the only SH with that delousion
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, As I said, read my original post and all is in context. Your unwillingness to counter argue and just throw mud shows you have nothing to add
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

And there was I thinking you were a rug muncher

Possibly the main.......
snow report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
thefatcontroller, if you thought that then you are the only SH with that delousion

To quotes several snowheads in Tignes. You posts are akin to someone having vomited over the board Confused
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

To quotes several snowheads in Tignes. You posts are akin to someone having vomited over the board Confused

care to explain that more fully?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, Don't worry about it.

For some reason thefatcontroller works very hard at coming over as an obnoxious git. I suspect that in real life, he isn't like that at all, because occasionally he forgets Smile
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, thefatcontroller, oh come on... you two make up, have a shag, get over it. Wink
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

To quotes several.....

Now come on, what goes on tour, stays on tour and all that.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, I'm waiting for that explanation
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
thefatcontroller, I'm waiting for that explanation

Don't worry about it. It's probably just drunken bloke-talk from a high alpine bar.
ski holidays
PJSki, Sober and it was females talking. I don't read Apres section on here so didn't understand what they meant until tonight wink Laughing

Anyway is answer to the question posted in the title

Ski Beat - the worst ski trip experience ever?

Have to admit going skiing with mrsfatcontroller in Sauze D'Oulx when she was 6 weeks pregnant and the snow was slush so we did a lot of water skiing and the sale of our house fell through while we were there was a bad one.
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
PJSki, Sober and it was females talking. I don't read Apres section on here so didn't understand what they meant until tonight wink Laughing

What? A newbie with an opinion? Says more about them that it does about me. However, if it makes you feel safe and secure in your little bubble then please go on slagging me off.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, that's the spirit. Just rise above it.
latest report
snowymum wrote:
The thing that is unforgiveable is the coach driver apparently driving too many hours and being at risk of falling asleep assuming that is true. Imainge if that coach had had an accident. Some one is at fault for allowing a driver to be on his own driving for more than the correct number of hours. Some one should be investigating this incident as it doesn't sound legal.

If the OP is true, the driver broke the law. European law broken, more than within reason to make a complaint to the local authorities who will investigate and check out the tachos. More than 9 hours, even with a break, now illegal. There are no circumstances (and I do mean no circumstances, you'd have to have a person literally dying in the back and you're on the way to a hospital to break these rules) under which you can avoid this.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/Rules%20on%20Drivers%20Hours%20and%20Tachographs%20-%20Goods%20vehcles%20in%20the%20UK%20and%20Europe.pdf

Would be even worse if the driver wasn't recording his hours correctly and passengers were able to substantiate using mobile phone while driving and overdoing driving hours. He'd do well to avoid a big fine and the company that employed him the same. Likely to be contracting to Ski Beat but definitely worth checking out the situation with Ski Beat, they may need to do some investigating of their own.

If there was an accident after a driver has exceeded driving hours legislation things start getting really messy. I've run a couple of HGV operations and to my knowledge our insurance company would have washed their hands of us and walked away at the earliest opportunity as we were acting outside the law.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

What? A newbie with an opinion? Says more about them that it does about me. However, if it makes you feel safe and secure in your little bubble then please go on slagging me off.

He's hardly a Newbie. He's got more posts than eiter of us have Shocked
snow report
alex_heney, I meant me as a newbie Laughing wink
snow report
Monium, what evidence is there that the driver broke driving hours laws? Who knew what time he started work, what breaks he had taken and what hours he had driven?
Why did they swap drivers?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy