Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Beat - the worst ski trip experience ever?

Poster: A snowHead
"Punched him." Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some interesting points of view there James the Last. Everyone in our group was insured, some could cancel after a 12-hour delay (Premium/ Platinum Policies) & others had to wait 24 hours. As it happened we were called to the departure gate 23 1/2 hours after the scheduled departure (a cynical ploy to prevent any last minute cancellations perhaps?) and when we boarded the plane we had hoped we'd be in our chalet in time for dinner.

Yes, if you're travelling to a ski resort you've got to expect snow & be prepared to deal with whatever that entails; and yes, we came prepared for a long delay at Gatwick fully expecting the UK weather to cause us a problem. However, had we known that we would be abandonned at Milan for 6 hours, forced to endure another 6 hours on a rollercoaster bus ride (did Pandora mention that at one point the driver slammed his brakes on on the motorway & reversed back because he'd missed the turn-off in the fog) and subjected to a tirade of abuse from not one, but two Resort Managers I think most of us would not have boarded that plane.

I can't speak for Pandora, but for me the rest of the holiday was a blast - the food was brilliant, as were the chalet hosts. The snow was fantastic, the wine free-flowing, even the locals were friendly and I would go back.....just not with Ski Beat.

Fortunately we have another ski holiday planned at Easter and we'll be travelling under our own steam. 76 sleeps to go snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So sorry to hear about your bad experiance, just wanted to say that after reading this I will never book a skibeat holiday, and if enoiugh people read this and do the same hopefully they will go under!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reading this as a disinterested observer (no kids, hardly ever use a TO), it seems to me that Ski Beat need to take effective and timely remedial action. There have been several posts saying what a great time people have had with them - even including those from Snow Joke once the initial nightmare was over. So it sounds as if they have a good product, but are just seriously let down by contingency plans for probelmatic transfers and a couple of planks as resort managers. If anyone from Ski Beat is reading this, it would sound like the best way of recovering the position is to offer immediate apologies to those concerned, and some form of compensation for their inconvenience (irrespective of whether it was your fault or not - you have a serious PR problem to address), and get back to reinforcing memories/publicity of what people like about their product. Maybe sack the planks, and look as a matter of priority at those contingency arrangements.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
James the Last, my holidays are booked months in advance. An airline pilot can't just decide to shift their holidays by a week - you'd end up with a lot of stranded pee'd-off passengers wink and that is never a good thing. Husband is self employed and cannot just move leave around willy-nilly unless he doesn't mind not being paid. Also part of the pleasure of a group holiday is being with the group. Why should we all have to re-book possibly at different times - foregoing the pleasure of being part of the group - just because a TO can't get their act together? We were all insured and could have thrown the holiday away, but that, for me and husband, would still have entailed a financial loss and an inability to re-book for a later date. The alternative was to do what we did, and take the flight and anticipate that once in Milan the TO would be on top of the situation and we would be greeted by a friendly helpful rep doing their best to get our holiday back on track.

Snow Joke is correct that once we were under the care of the chalet staff and not the resort managers our experience improved greatly, although there was still some room for improvement. Interestingly I set off from home with a good opinion of Ski Beat and a poor opinion of France as a ski destination (and yes, I have been to French resorts before!) but returned with a poor opinion of Ski Beat and a vastly improved opinion of France. I would definitely return to Plan Peisey, but definitely not with Ski Beat.

As an update, I have been in touch with Ski Beat by phone, but will not disclose the details of the conversation, other than to say Ski Beat are going to have to come up with better explanations than offered on the phone today. An email is on the way to their head of customer services.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get out of your box pandora, email mayhem normally ends up in ars*-covering and deadlock. And forget The Head of Whatever; it's a small TO so get right under the nose of the main man/woman. Give them one chance to sort it, tell them exactly what you are after and set a deadline. If they dither or miss it, sue 'em. Simples.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fizz wrote:
if enoiugh people read this and do the same hopefully they will go under!

I hope that this comment is a joke? rolling eyes

Yes pandora's experience was terrible, but do you wish the rest of their staff to be unemployed because of the actions of small few? The people that actually caused the problem have no business working in the positions they are working in and are clearly clots who need to be sacked. To hope the rest should lose their jobs as well by the company going under is just spiteful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I hope that this comment is a joke?

anotherproblem, well, whether it is or isn't, things don't happen that way. Ski Beat will have a good % of loyal customers and plenty of people without the time or inclination to waste away on here and read through all this. I also haven't discounted the idea that pandora and co. might all be nightmares Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
If they dither or miss it, sue 'em. Simples.

Sue them because it snowed in the Alps in Winter and airports closed?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, I'm not suggesting that they would.Merely saying that to hope that is moronic and spiteful

You never know, it may well be a nightmare Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, No, sue them because you want to get their attention and get the thing resolved to your satisfaction. Weather or naturally occurring distaters can be an Act of God - I give you Haiti and the Tsunami - but snow and cold temps happen in winter in the alps... every year! It's an Act of Nature. There is a massive difference. TOs need to have plans in place to cope. The OP clearly feels that they had a chunk of their trip ruined by the TO and the TO's staff. Obviously they should seek compensation. I'm just offering a route to success based on experience. Unless you up the ante you get kicked around.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know whether Skibeat are offering any cheap holidays on 30/31 Jan? Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By the way, if suing via the County Court isn't appealing to you, another tactic that works better than going via the Head of Customer Placation is to do this... it works, I personally guarantee it because I've done it. Go to the Companies House website and hit the Webcheck button over on the right. Tap in the name of the Ltd company you are interested in (in this case Ski Beat Ltd), from the "order Company Information" get Form AR01 and this will (for a quid!) give you full names and home addresses of the Company Directors and all the shareholders. Write to them. Tell them what a shambles it was dealing with their company. Funnily enough, having opened your letter over the breakfast table, it gets attention.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I like complaining but the words 'sue them' are so easily thrown about. In my opinion there would be feck all to gain by suing them, threaten, call their bluff (hard to do that as this is all in the public domain) but do Inthink this would ever end up in court. Never.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Calm down, Swiller.
And be careful what's inside your cornflakes box.
snow report
thefatcontroller, I don't think Bode Swiller is necessarily suggesting a law suit would succeed. I agree with him that a credible threat of one might be an effective prelude to an acceptable settlement. A well-worded solicitor's letter might also do the trick, if one could be obtained at a reasonable cost.
Edit: on the other hand, by now there might be a good case for a counter-claim! wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-01-10 23:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, the idea isn't to get it into court, the idea is to pile on the pressure to get the issue resolved. When a writ arrives it concentrates the mind and they have to either defend it or settle. Because we're talking relatively small sums, they settle. It is cheap and fast to send a writ via Moneyclaimonline and it's a good tactic.

Ernst Goldsmith, thought you were on your final farewell tour.
latest report
Bode Swiller, exactly. Crossed posts.
snow conditions
downhilldai wrote:
Does anyone know whether Skibeat are offering any cheap holidays on 30/31 Jan? Very Happy

We'll take anyone else' compo, vouchers etc if they're no longer required. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

A well-worded solicitor's letter might also do the trick

Most often, they get ignored.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, depends who the solicitor is. wink
latest report
Hurtle, i'll see you in court
latest report
Bode Swiller, nah, I wouldn't take on either party, thanks. wink
snow report
Breaking news. Hurtle and Bode Swiller are courting. wink Toofy Grin
snow report
geepee, Laughing Laughing
Edit: sorry, I shouldn't be joking, the OP is obviously very aggrieved. Embarassed

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 18-01-10 23:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
geepee, oh geepee oh poor poor geepee, my wife just saw that and I have sustained massive financial damage as a result - you are responsible. Wanna settle now or fight it out in court?
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
geepee, Laughing Laughing
Edit: sorry, I shouldn't be joking, the OP is obviously very aggrieved. Embarassed
Yes, but don't rule out the slim possibility that the rep's apparent over-reaction was caused by shere exasperation at having the nightmare guest from Hell.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I hadn't. Note that I said I wouldn't take either party on. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:

Ernst Goldsmith, thought you were on your final farewell tour.

Yes, Swiller.
THIS IS IT

Has anyone quoted from Ski Beat's tin?

Quote:
All our ski holiday flights operate into Chambery. We are delighted to have secured these flights into Chambery for a second season, reducing your coach transfer time to resort.

Quote:
All our staff undergo comprehensive training in resort at the start of the winter, so that they are fully prepared to care for you. Ski Beat Resort Managers are chosen for their helpful and friendly dispositions. They are committed to ensuring our high levels of customer satisfaction are maintained. They may well even dine with you one evening

I think Swiller should be invited to dine with a Ski Beat resort manager - on the floor of an airport terminal.
All this litigation aggro is really depressing.
snow report
Quote:
They may well even dine with you one evening

Personally, I have no idea why I'd want to dine with somebody because they are a resort manager. If they are a nice person, then yes but clearly this is not a certainty! Must be to make you feel special that the high and mighty Lord of Ski Beat in La Ros would dine with you, the lowly peasants rolling eyes
latest report
Your story struck a chord with me for some reason, then it dawned on me. My boss was on the return flight that dumped you in Milan (eventually). As we work in the industry he commandeered lumps of my afternoon to find out what was actually happening and if he was being lied to...His side of the story is as painful as yours from the transport point of view, though you should think your lucky with the Crawley Aurora. He got some Dodgy Formula One near Chambery which didn't work with a combination of wife and kids!
snow report
Quote:

Has anyone quoted from Ski Beat's tin?

Thank you Ernst Goldsmith for lending your immense intellect and experience. Below are customer comments re Ski Beat taken from the Ski Beat website. As you'll see they have no unhappy campers so i can only conclude that pandora & co are entirely to blame...

"We had a great time at Cristal 5 - please convey our thanks to Chrissie and Graham: they were some of the best chalet hosts we have come across!" Mrs N, 19th Dec 08

"Many thanks for a well organised and great week. Hope to book with you again." Mr M, Chalet Bouquetin, 27th Dec 08

"As usual the Ski Beat staff were helpful, and the standards in the Chalet were excellent" Mr B, Chalet Cristal 1, 10th Jan 09

"Chalet hosts were fab and really helpfull, great people and great holiday!" Miss L, Chalet Perrier, 10th Jan 09

"Excellent creche facilities: lots for the children to do and we loved the fact that the kids got taken out every day to play in the snow" Mr P, Chalet Papillon 4, 24th Jan 09

"In three trips with Ski Beat this was at the top of a very good list of holidays. Ruth and Anthony were superb hosts and the food excellent. I will definitely look to Ski Beat again in the future - thanks" Mr C, Chalet Daurel, 31st Jan 09

"Thanks for organising our ski holiday. I would especially like to thank Rachel, who looked after us so well. The children are still talking about her!" Mr D, Chalet Arpette 2, 14th Feb 09

"Always pleased with Ski Beat service: booking staff and chalet staff are excellent. We will certainly book with Ski Beat again!" Mrs P, Chalet Pierra Menta 2, 14th Feb 09

"I thought the childcare was of very high quality: they organised activities for the children and the child:nanny ratio was perfect" Mrs G, Chalet Marmotton 28th Feb 09

"Very many thanks for another super holiday. Our second visit to Bouquetin this season and once again we were superbly looked after by Mark" Mr P, 7 Mar 09

"I would like you to know that we were more than satisfied with Russ, Natalie and Nick who looked after us in the Chalet de Meribel and to Russ who acted as our ski host for a day. The food they served us was fantastic and they all went out of their way to be helpful and fun to be with." Mrs H, 21st Mar 09

"Leanne was an excellent challet host, fantastic with the children and cooked wonderful meals." Mrs W, Chalet Florence 14th Mar 09

"Trina and Colin were fantastic. They went out of their way to ensure that everything went well - absolutely brilliant" Mr D, Chalet Perdrix 2, 11th April 09
snow report
There you go, Swiller. Aviemore is not a Ski Beat resort - you'll have to cope by yourself.
ski holidays
I'm confused as to what grounds there are for litigation in this case? You can't just sue someone because you had a crap holiday/ journey. I would have thought the most obvious way to get recompense here was to go senior in the company and appeal to their desire for repeat business, rather than wasting time and money in a frivolous law suit.
snow conditions
Very much agreed. You'd be as well off in a frivolous monkey suit.
ski holidays
Normally I would have thought that you go to the boss for recompense before commencing the internet slating campaign wink

Apart from keeping the passengers more informed and their staff being rude, I do not think Ski Beat could have done much more really Puzzled , although they could have done it better wink
snow report
anotherproblem wrote:
Quote:
They may well even dine with you one evening

Personally, I have no idea why I'd want to dine with somebody because they are a resort manager. If they are a nice person, then yes but clearly this is not a certainty! Must be to make you feel special that the high and mighty Lord of Ski Beat in La Ros would dine with you, the lowly peasants rolling eyes

We had a rather large problem with 1 Ski Olympic employee whilst on a trip and the 3v area manager came to the chalet and dined with us in to discuss the issue. He manned up and faced the music, and when we returned home we eventually obtained a full refund for the young lady into whose bed the drunken employee had mistakenly climbed whilst naked.

We all booked with Ski Olympic the next season.....apart from the young lady who went on to work for them!!!! Laughing

To be fair, the incident had terrified her and completely ruined her holiday.
latest report
fizz, Blimey, that is harsh!! A whole company to go under because of one bad experience - do you really mean that? Surely better to give the company the chance to make amends? Terrifying to think people think like this for those of us in the industry!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
... the 3v area manager came to the chalet and dined with us in to discuss the issue ....
... the young lady into whose bed the drunken employee had mistakenly climbed whilst naked.

First-class journalism, Frosty. Not easy to follow that one.

What was served for dinner?
snow report
Ernst Goldsmith, we had ski host, well roasted.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy