Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are off to Chamonix in a couple of weeks. We are advanced skiers looking for some off piste but nothing too hardcore. Does anyone know of any areas or locations off the piste? Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pfski, goto Grands Montets. Off piste everywhere you look. From side of the piste to dodging crevasses and everything inbetween. Given that some of the best stuff is on glaciers and the crevasses are wide open this year you would do well to hire a guide on your first day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pulled a French chap out of a crevasse last March on the Argentière glacier, it was only 1m from the safe route. He had stopped to look into it and the edge he was standing on collapsed. Luckily we had stopped to take a photo of the sun glistening on the ice falls!! Beware. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well worth getting a guide, there is plenty of off piste all over Chamonix, but you'll be best off with someone who knows what is fun and safe in the current conditions. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the Pendant bowl crevassed?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Guide-Mont-Blanc-Off-Piste.html

Assume this is the updated version of the one I have. Swirly has the Anselme Baud guide knocking round the flat but that is best described as the advanced manual.

Needless to say, be careful - the combination of the crevasse and avalanche hazard is arguably more extensive than in other places. Furthermore, some places, including those that look relatively benign e.g. the back of Le Tour, are potentially very dangerous. Guide wise, I've had good experiences with Chamex.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With no guide and no locals showing me around, I'd probably go to Flegere-Brevent rather than Grand Montets (especially if you're looking for something "not too hardcore" - GM is harder than FB).

But every time I skied in Chamonix was either with a guide or with someone who knew the area well, so I never had to make the choice!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideshow_Bob, no, there's no glacier there.

pfski, the Grands Montets is the area, but there's good stuff at Flegere and Le Tour as well (although I've done very little at Le Tour). Beware of avalanches on the area to skiers' left of the Flegere area though if the weather starts warming up - the slopes above the ski area go a lot. In Argentere/Grand Montets the 'safe' stuff is off the Bochard lift. If you cut directly under the lift you cross a very brief tail of the glacier as you traverse from there to the Canadian bowl (between Bochard and Herse lifts), but it's nothing to worry about unless you start hiking up the hill. The Pendant/Lavanchet bowl is glacier free, but you should pay careful attention to any avalanche danger - Lavanchet does go fairly frequently (look for very young saplings). There's also plenty of fun stuff off the side of the red piste down from Bochard, and also some great gullys and ridges in and around the trees between the two chair-lifts serving the blue pistes above Plan Joran. You can also get fun tree skiing ("the Magic Forest") to skiers' left of the Plan Rougon lift - always tend to the left though to make the Retour Pendant lift, and do NOT drop below the road traversing the hill, or you have a long walk back up. From the Grands Montets lift itself there are two black "pistes" which are never actually groomed, so you get off-piste conditions all the way down, and the piste just merges into the surrounding off-piste anyway. Beautiful conditions up there at the moment, and it's an absolute must in good weather. Currently Point de Vue is shut, and there's a humungous crevasse right across it, but Pylones is open and easily skiable. Just after it splits from Point de Vue it forms a track through a small col, and there's a section to be careful of to skiers' right just as it opens out. This is always crevassed and roped off. Just below it there is also a snowy ridge that's fun to ski off, but currently there is an exposed crevasse just below that ridge, so do take care there. There's no need for a guide for any of this - just follow the many tracks (not always a good idea, but pretty safe here). If you want something a bit more hardcore to finish off your trip you could try the Pas de Chevre, but you will need a guide for that, and you should also do the Vallee Blanche (by something other than the Classic Route), again guided.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, thanks, thought it wasn't. Le Tour is good fun and has some fantastic (but very avalanche-prone) open pitches to the left of the Herse chair (better if you hike up but you can just cut across) and the Posettes couloir down to Vallorcine is a blast. I've found it not to be as busy or quickly-tracked-out as GMs. Never actually got round to skiing Brevent/Flegere yet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
worth chipping in again that the avalanche risk is substantial at the moment, chipping in for a guide (while not infallible) may be an even better investment this year!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob, Did you mean the Herse chair? It is in Grand Montets!!!

I second the recommendation for a guide. Eg Lots of exposed crevasses at the top of Grand Montets at the moment but at least they are visible. (As well as the obvious ones who knows what I didn't see today though!) In a snowfall or two they will be much harder to spot but will have very weak snowbridges. The one off the ridge entry to Pylone that GrahamN mentions is a particularly big one which could be a lethal trap in a week or two.

If there's powder then Les Houches has lots of fun tree skiing.

Snow great here though Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lucky bug ger
look at this
http://www.chamonix.net/english/videos/index.htm
nice
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd second about Les Houches. Just got back from there, the tree skiing was great. The addition of Les Houches is new this year, apparently.

Beware the buses, though, it was taking 2 hours to get back to Les Bossons from Le Tour, and this was every day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cp1000, d'oh, I meant the Tête de Balme chair Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thought you might, but didn't want to second guess you. I agree with your comments on avalanche prone - the guides we have talked to have been very vocal on the subject.
ski holidays
cp1000, More tourist/week/end skiers die in le tour than anywhere else in the chamonix valley. In fact if i had to hazard a guess if you could seperate out the hardcore skibums & locals from the the tourist skiers that le tour & more specifically the backside of le tour would account for more skiing fatalities than the rest of the valley put together.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone, i will take your advice onboard. What kind of prices will we be looking at for a guide? Thanks in advance.
latest report
pfski, €320-400 per day for groups of 4-6. This is the lot I've usually used. http://www.guides-du-montblanc.com/uk/sk_horspiste_uk.html Good prices, normally French guides, but mostly speak fair to good English. I've also had good days with http://www.evolution2-chamonix.com/evo_en_66.html . http://www.chamex.com/adventure/book-a-private-guide are a bit more anglo, but a bit pricier.
latest report
pfski, also try www.mountainpenguins.com
latest report
Wondering if anyone might know where I can rent avalanche safety equipment (ABS pack, trans, shovel, probe, etc) for week of Feb 27-mar 6 2010.
ski holidays
...in Chamonix that is!!
ski holidays
I've rented ice-axe and crampons at Technique Extreme, on the road from the main drag to Chamonix Sud, before, so you may be able to do so for what you want. Has a bit of a TKMaxx feel about it, but much cheaper than other places, and do the job. Otherwise probably just about any of the main shops would also do so - Snell Sports is probably the biggest (and possibly the priciest). I've not tried renting an ABS before though.
latest report
Thanks for the info!
snow conditions
You will rent an arva kit (transciever, shovel & probe) from any of the big rental places in cham e.g. snell's, coqouz sports, sanglard's, technique extreme, etc. I would however be quite surprised if you could rent an ABS backpack. Though times have moved on & it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:
You will rent an arva kit (transciever, shovel & probe) from any of the big rental places in cham e.g. snell's, coqouz sports, sanglard's, technique extreme, etc. I would however be quite surprised if you could rent an ABS backpack. Though times have moved on & it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
Thanks - no real need for the ABS, just an afterthought.
snow report
Snell sport will rent abs packs for around 25 euro per day; or at least that was the price 2 years ago.
snow conditions
A lot of good info here
http://www.chamonet.com/ski-areas/where-to-go-in-chamonix-for.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy