Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice from tourers - Volk Arctic Fox ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need a new touring ski but budget constraint means not able to pay for new K2 Shuksans or the like so I found I can buy these new 07/08 model flats for 125 Euros including delivery and they seem to have been designed as lightweight made for alpine touring planks.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=70601001

Trouble is, apart from the manufacturer blurb, I can't find any reviews or feedback or indeed anything else useful written about them anywhere.

Intention: Day tours (10 to 15 miles at most), to mount with Fritschi Freerides
Style: quite aggressive, adventurous, prefer winding through the rocks and gullies for downhill than using wide open snow fields.
Days on snow: 100+
Me: 10.75 stone, 5'8''
Everyday ski: 167 cm K2 Apache Recon (2006 model).
Snow type: Mixed, most likely all Scottish.

Questions:

Are these skis likely to get broken on my first day out ?
Blurb says something about those preferring the downhill but they are only just over 2.5 KG per pair anyway. Is there something else as important as weight to consider for uphill progress ?
Are they likely to be inhibitively floppy compared to my Recons ?

Hope someone can help but even if you can't give an authoritative or informed answer, post a reply anyway if for example you can feel it in your teabags that they're just wrong or if you've got something nice to sell me. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can buy skis with more of a touring pedigree within your budget with the guy below:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/wischili/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&
The guy speaks good English and will mount any binding (dynafit, silvretta, fritschi) you like on there with a good discount. I got lucky and got a pair of Dynastar Altitrail plus Fritschi Explore, delivered for about £200. The set up is ok for 12 hour plus tours in Scotland, the odd 35-40 deg gulley, and the occasional bullet-proof Scottish piste - the Goose on a bad day!

Good luck

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 14-01-10 21:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fishwins, thanks so much for that link, that is a superb selection of the right price kit and loads of options. Very Happy As I already have the Fritschis on an existing ski I would just get them remounted here so keeps the whole selection process v. simple.

Cheers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy