Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ok, a helmet thread, but not that type of helmet thread - honest.

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been through either Manchester or Chambery airports recently?

Do either still allow helmets in hand luggage?

See, not that type of helmet thread at all!

wink

Edit due to crap spelling rolling eyes

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 14-01-10 14:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc, not yet it isn't!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your helmet fits in the slot why wouldn't they take it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yoda wrote:
If your helmet fits in the slot why wouldn't they take it?

Said the actress to the bishop! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yoda, last year the jobsworths at Chambery made me take it out of hand luggage ans put it in the hold
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why wouldn't you pack it in your hold luggage? Filled with goggles/gloves/sock it takes up hardly any room.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, I'm always worried that it may get crushed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, buy one that's not made out of papier mache then. Seriously, I have never heard of a helmet getting crushed in the hold, or even ever heard it mentioned as a risk. Anyone?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will they not let you wear it? What about Sikhs?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda, skihs have to go in the hold, too long for the cabin, especially if you're wearing them...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, Its fine in hold luggage if you have a hard shell case. No1 son packed his in a board bag at Xmas. The speaker pod/ear muff bits were smashed off when he unpacked it.(some would say that's no bad thing wink ). He had crammed his gear and boots around it but it had been well and truly squashed. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for putting in your case.

I have a split roller and have always put my lid in the hold, no problems.

I just hate hand luggage. Papers etc, cash and itouch in pocket, headphones arround neck. The rest in the case.
Easy peesy chapaneesy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine always goes in my boot bag with goggles, gloves and face mask inside. Never had a problem in terms of damage.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, I like your thinking, and why not boots as well?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, on my trip this last weekend I only took my skibag and carry on. Boots + socks/thermals/shell/goggles just fit in my one carry on, but there was no space for helmet, and the skibag was also too small for the helmet, so I wore the helmet onto the plane. No probs, but this was LGW-GVA. I have also previously worn my boots onto the plane - but they were touring boots. No ideas why Chambery and Grenoble are so anal about this.
snow conditions
not that, GrahamN, is style, love it.

GeorgeVII, I know it a horse bolting/farm gate situation, but remove the ear pads and stick them inside the helmet. If you're saying that the helmet itself was crushed, then please name and shame the manufacturer as a matter of public service.
snow report
Update, not only do Chambery now allow helmets onto the flight (again) but at the desk my mate was asked if he'd like to carry his bootbag as hand luggage or check it into the hold.
snow conditions
Dr John, It isn't a matter of it being literally "crushed", but more about the fact that it may have been banged about without your knowledge.

Like most protective helmets, ski helmets are designed to protect from one major impact only, and should be replaced if that ever happens, regardless of whether you can see damage to the helmet.

If it has been in soft sided hold luggage, you will never know whether it has been bashed that hard or not.

If you have a rigid case, or you hve the type of holdall that means you can get plenty of padding all round the helmet, then it should be OK in the hold. Otherwise, I prefer to put it in hand luggage, where I know what has happened to it.
snow conditions
We were fine last week flying into and out of Chambery with helmets in our hand luggage. Def no boots though.
ski holidays
.............but surely its better to feel the wind in your hair!
Don't you know that helmets spoil the fun of skiing?

Old Arnold Lunn........He never wore a ski helmet!
snow report
Snowhereman, ski with yer flies unzipped if you like.
latest report
Snowhereman, but NEVER with your jacket open. Some decorum, please.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Dr John, It isn't a matter of it being literally "crushed", but more about the fact that it may have been banged about without your knowledge.

Like most protective helmets, ski helmets are designed to protect from one major impact only, and should be replaced if that ever happens, regardless of whether you can see damage to the helmet.

If it has been in soft sided hold luggage, you will never know whether it has been bashed that hard or not.

While this is true, I've always taken the view that if your head (or something equally heavy) is not inside the helmet, then the cushioning is very unlikely to have to absorb any impact from getting battered around in your bag. Having said that, I'd prefer mine in hand luggage along with trousers and gloves just in case my hold luggage goes awol!!!
snow conditions
I think it may also depend on tour operator. we are going with crystal and it clearly states in the small print that helmets are not allowed as hand luggage.
snow conditions
polo99, I travelled with Crystal a couple of weeks ago, and took my helmet in hand luggage.

I didn't see anything in the small print saying they aren't allowed, but even if there had been, they certainly didn't ask to look inside the small rucksack I was carrying as hand luggage (and which I then wear all the time I am skiing, with a camelbak inside it).
latest report
On looking further at the small print it depends on which airport you fly into. here is the extract:

Carriage of helmets
Helmets are not permitted in your hand luggage if you are flying in to/out of Chambery or Grenoble airport.

We are flying into Geneva so we may be able to put them in there if we cant squeeze them in the case.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy