Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vaujany (Alpe d'Huez area) - Chalet Solneige - Jan 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We had a week staying in Vaujany (on the far left of the piste map) from 2nd to 9th January. Three advanced and one good intermediate skiers plus a one year old (non-skier... for now Smile ).

With two big storms during the week, there was plenty of snow (though the busier runs still managed to return to the typical European hard-pack-verging-on-ice very quickly). Not too many people around (except near AdH) which was fantastic. Lots of easy off-piste to practise on too.

The top of the mountain was closed during and after each storm (fair enough) but on the Tuesday we got up top and skied the Sarenne with a couple of our chalet hosts (one a local, been skiing since age 4, you know the sort!). This was one of my most enjoyable days skiing ever - including a season in Canada. We also managed to have a go at the Tunnel later in the week when that was finally opened - I really enjoyed this, but agree with other comments that it's not for the timid or inexperienced.

First time in the AdH area and I fully agree with reports about flat light - visibility was very poor except on the Bluebird days. This is because there are virtually no tree lined pistes - La Fare, the black down to Vaujany being an honourable exception. Probably the best place to go when it's poor visibility is the Montfrais area above Vaujany. Several blues and a red (which was closed - being kept for slalom competition, I think) but much more tree cover than elsewhere. Very easy to get to (the lift system in ADH is very good) even from ADH - take Les Chalets run from the midstation of the huge Vaujany cable car.

Mountain restaurants were on the whole very expensive for Brits, but just remember you're on holiday and somehow you accept paying £20 for lunch. Maybe that's normal for Londoners? wink

We stayed in the Chalet Solneige (www.solneige.com) - booked over the internet, flights into Grenoble, transfers by the chalet owners.

So long as you don't mind two big labrador retrievers (by the end of the week, our son had lost his fear and loved them) this is a fantastic place to stay!

In addition to us there were three groups of Dutch people (the owners are Dutch too - though they insisted that usually the majority of guests are British). Everyone ate together (sometimes including the owners and/or staff) round a big table in the fantastic communal area. The food was fantastic, four courses every night. The only slightly unusual thing was that drinks were not included (other than breakfast/afternoon tea). The home made Walnut Wine was certainly a hit!

The chalet was very clean and furnished to a high standard. All the staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough to help. They provided a minibus for lifts to and from the slopes - also used for the airport transfers.

Note that the chalet is a good mile or so down the mountain from Vaujany itself - and there are avalanche warnings on the road such that it is forbidden to walk up. This is not the place to go if you're after nights out, but after powder skiing all day and a huge dinner, there was no risk of that!

Our son spent the week in the nursery in Vaujany. This came highly recommended from web searches, the chalet and is even mentioned in the Good Skiing Guide. With pigeon French from us and English from the staff, I think we mostly understood each other. Although he cried on being dropped off and picked up everyday, apparently he slept and ate well and was generally happy during the day. He does go to nursery in the UK and doesn't get upset, but we put it down to the change of environment. Cost was €135 for six days (one a half day).

Overall, I think we were exceptionally lucky with the snow - best we've ever seen in Europe - and also with the choice of chalet and mixture of other guests for our week.

I hope this helps someone!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice write-up and glad you had a good time. Always had good reports of the Solneige although I haven't stayed there.

As a frequent visitor to Vaujany/ADH, Montfrais is my usual haunt on bad weather days. There is a lot of safe between the pistes off piste in the trees which is fun. The Auris area is actually pretty good for trees but a bit of a schlep from Vaujany. You have to weigh up whether it is worth making your way over there in crap visibility
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good report, we went to Vaujany Christmas 06, when there was not much snow, I loved it, really quiet, no queues, would def go back, be nice to see it all open!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the report. We are off to La Maitreya Chalet, just down the road (I think) from Solneige in a months time.

My appetite is well and truly whetted.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sabreboy, I have been to La Maitreya and it would fit the description of Solneige quite well (except they have a nutty dalmatian rather than the labs)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, Assuming its up to date La Maitreya is up for sale - http://www.propertysalesfrance.co.uk/property_detail.php?property_id=82 sadly I dont have that kind of cash kicking around - beautiful place!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Solneige is on there too! http://www.propertysalesfrance.co.uk/property_detail.php?property_id=50 I guess as with many mountain businesses its just a dabble in case somebody with a wad of cash who fancies a "lifestyle business" comes along.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if I had €1.3m lying around...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice report, out of interest how did you get to/from the lift station if you couldn't walk it - we've been to Vaujany and weren't aware of any transport around the village. Do the chalet owners shuttle you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Paul-B,

Yes, the chalet owners provided us with a shuttle.

Within Vaujany itself there are a series of covered escalators which take you between the different levels. Smile

There is a free bus that we caught a couple of times to save the chalet guys coming up to get us - it's funded by the community (which, for the uninitiated is exceptionally well off due to local taxes on the hydroelectric power station at the bottom of the hill - this has funded the cable car and escalators too). I don't know how frequent/reliable the community shuttle is, nor where it stops... sorry! Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy