Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the youngest age to take a baby to Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
There I was, with all my plans organised and in place. OH and I getting married in November, followed by a honeymoon on safari. When we got back, we'd get Christmas sorted and then head out to Austria for half term with my two kids from my previous marriage, aged 13 and 10. Then the plans were well chuffed!!

We found out last night that we're expecting a new addition to the family. My OH, beanie, is due to have a baby in late October or early November. That means that our new addition will only be 3 months old when we head out to Ellmau. I feel that would be too young, as most creches only take children at 6 months or older. What do you all think??

The only other option is to cancel, which would mean losing about £500 deposit!!

Would the ski insurance cover us does anyone know? The insurance was issued by the Thomson travel agency regarding a Crystal holiday that I only booked about 3 weeks ago.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter B, congratulations and commiserations to Beanie and yourself Laughing

Try to take a Grandparent with you and go anyway Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter B, many congratulations to you and beanie! A guess you might consider taking it turns to ski / look after baby.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter B, congratulations to you both! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter B wrote:

Would the ski insurance cover us does anyone know? The insurance was issued by the Thomson travel agency regarding a Crystal holiday that I only booked about 3 weeks ago.

No chance, we used to get people ringing up all the time, the insurance is underwritten by AXA (or was when I worked there) so you'd be best off ringing them
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Peter B wrote:

No chance, we used to get people ringing up all the time, the insurance is underwritten by AXA (or was when I worked there) so you'd be best off ringing them

See if it covers cancellation due to spillages (or rather, doesn't exclude them). Oh and congratulations and good luck.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter B, congrats. Take Grandma with you. Thats our solution for our imminent trip to Banff in a couple of weeks. Failing that a nice warm locker should do the trick wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
congratulations and don't get too worried yet, try contacting the local tourist office and see if they have any suggestions
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter B, taking your question literally (which is always fun) it wouldn't be a surprise to hear of a skier who gave birth on the outgoing flight. My advice is to listen very carefully to your lady - maternal instincts should determine your every move! She might, for instance, be concerned about the baby's ears on the flight.

If you take the baby, don't forget the ski bootees and cot skis - small babies like doing kick turns, and kicking their legs around generally.

From your description I think your key issue is compensating your 13- and 10-year-olds, if the holiday doesn't go ahead. Maybe the tour op would swap the trip for an Easter one a couple of months later, when Mum is more settled with child? Just a thought.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Congratulations, Peter B & Beanie snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. The joys of being a geriatric father. I'll be 61 when junior is 18!!!! Sad I wonder if I'll still be coaching the mini rugby team then Puzzled Twisted Evil

It's not too much of a problem for the 10 and 13 year old, as they were not aware of the trip. It was going to be a surprise. We agreed with their mum that this would be best. We were just going to take them to Snow and Rock in Manchester at the start of next season and get them kitted out from head to foot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd be worried about a few things:

travelling with such a young child - worth checking with airline/travel co
high possibility of still breast feeding at 3 months (if you go that route)
altitude for the young 'un

maybe worth checking with your doc/hospital?

cheers,

greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
congrats and all that.

The answer is obvious its the delivery that will be key. 3 months is probably too young really but can be done lathough holiday will be tiring and frustrtaing and the journey will be hell. so

the most cost effective way...

the way to ensure that your children do not feel threatened by new arrival

the most enjoyable way for all concerned

the best result for new babe

is

that your missus and the babe stay at home this year.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ashton parker, Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, we've had to do that this year as beanie had a full patella tendon ACL reconstruction in November that took skiing off the map for this season. She had an accident in Courchevel last March, and had a sequence of medical treatment which concluded with the full reconstruct. Presently on rehab, so the white stuff has eluded us this year as well.

Looks like we'll just have to put things on hold for another year!!! Crying or Very sad

Look what happens when you're deprived of skiing and have to find something else to fill the time in the winter!!!!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 1-03-05 15:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter B, congratulations!

We took our baby away at 3 months but we booked with a company that catered for that age (I think Ski Beat and Ski Hillwood were the only 2 we found). Grandparent(s) would be great but wasn't an option for us.

There's been a couple of threads on this before - try searching for Ski Beat. I seem to remember that most people fell into 2 camps - either "Don't do it" or "Wait and see what the baby's like". Either way I guess you might want to look at cancelling the Crystal holiday.
snow report
Quote:
3 months is probably too young really but can be done lathough holiday will be tiring and frustrtaing and the journey will be hell.

Totally disagree. At 3 months the baby isn't going to notice where they are, and the drone of the plane (assuming you are flying) will send them to sleep, and with Austria being (mostly) at low altitutude, that isn't going to affect them either: the locals have babies too! Up until they start crawling around, travelling with babies just means more luggage - we always commented that baby was just another bit of hand luggage Toofy Grin Of course, this does assume that mum and baby are healthy.

We were a little concerned when at 5 months we first took our youngster to Canada, so we had a short hop to Europe when he was under 3 months, and he was no trouble at all - but I doubt he remembers anything!

If you can't find a creche which will take them that young (some do, some don't), then I suggest contacting the tourist office and see if they can suggest a child minder. But I think you might end up skiing half days.
snow report
I should say that my first trip to Switzerland was at 3months, apparently I slept most of the time, but I suffered no I'll effects wink Babies on ski holidays do one of two things, sleep or cry
latest report
Peter B, congrats. Got a young sprog myself now.

You obviously know your wife better than we do: is she likely to be willing to pass such a young bairn unto the tender mercies of a resort creche or nanny she has only just met? My wife wasn't so she stayed at home.

You might as well go, if there is no way of claimimg on the insurance, but as RobW said you will have to sacrifice time on piste.

They say you shouldn't take young babies up into the mountains as their inner-ears can't adjust to the pressure. While Ellmau is low-ish, and the locals obviously reproduce, their babies are born at that altitude so no adjustment is necessary. I would take medical advice to be on the safe side.
latest report
Quote:

You obviously know your wife better than we do: is she likely to be willing to pass such a young bairn unto the tender mercies of a resort creche or nanny she has only just met? My wife wasn't so she stayed at home.

I wouldn't have handed over any of my babies either, but how come it was so obvious that "she" stayed home? Maybe she was breast feeding? Otherwise dad could stay home. Or better - as suggested above - you share the responsibility and ski half days (possible even if she is breastfeeding). What a shame to cancel your trip. You'd better get used to travel with a baby....

Totally agree with those who say 3 month babies no problem - especially if breastfed, which takes care of pressure problems in aircraft cabin and keeps them blissfully quiet. It would be FAR harder a year later, or even a few months later - when a change in routine and location would be more disruptive for a baby. Three month old babies don't have routines (at least, mine never did!). As a ski-ing granny I would say yes, take a grandparent but expect them to share, not take over, the baby minding. We took our six week old third baby on a long home leave trip, from Barbados through Disneyworld, Washington DC and around the UK, along with two older kids of about 6 and 8. No problems at all, because the baby was wholly breastfed at that point - I don't think I could have coped with sterilising bottles and all that. She did many of the rides at Disneyworld, was not too heavy to carry everywhere, and was just a pleasure to have around - opened many doors for us. But please don't take baby ski-ing on your back - that gives me the heebie jeebies since I heard a terrible tale of a couple of doctors who did just that, and the baby got frostbite and had to have both feet amputated!

Your Ellmau trip is presumably in a hotel? From my experience babies are easier to cope with in self catering, as long as it's a big enough apartment. Then you can enjoy leisurely evening meals without worrying about baby sitters. There is nothing so soul destroying as sitting in a hotel room with a small baby whilst the rest of the family are enjoying themselves eating and drinking!
latest report
[quote]
Try to take a Grandparent with you and go anyway
That is the best answer. One of the Tour ops mentioned above that take young babies, following an experience in one of their Chalets, I would want to see some proof of their 'Nannies' qualifications and relavent experience to look after a baby as young as yours.
We learnt from this and took a teenage 17+ non-skier with us who was happy to baby sit all day, and the following year an Auntie came for 'a restful week' (her words not mine!)
For sheer peace of mind the extra cost was worth it.
snow report
Quote:

From my experience babies are easier to cope with in self catering, as long as it's a big enough apartment. Then you can enjoy leisurely evening meals without worrying about baby sitters.

Couldn't disagree more! The last thing you want to do is shop, cook, wash up, make beds etc (or argue about who does what). You'll have enough on with the baby! Treat it as a relaxing holiday with a bit of skiing rather than a skiing holiday. Take it in turns to ski and spend time with the baby. Use a baby monitor at dinner time and take it in turns to "go up" if necessary.

And remember - there'll be other skiing holidays. You can never recapture this special time. Next year, he/she won't be a baby at all - but will be toddling around and into everything. Much harder to cope with on holiday!

Oh, and congratulations, Peter B, from a mother of four who's still (relatively) sane!
ski holidays
Not sure why gregb suggested airlines would object to a breastfeeding baby on the plane. As long as they have had their first lot of vaccinations it's usually OK (and they get that at 8 weeks) . A dummy helps with the pressure problems ( or feeding during takeoff and landing. )
Pete and Beanie, congratulations, go for it, just don;t expect everything to go to plan, nothing ever does with kids. Incidentally some friends of our found themsevles with an expected arrival during rehab for ACL injury. Must be the boredom that sets in when you can't ski. And after finding that half-term bargain too

wink
snow report
Peter B, I am sure that there was a baby less than 6 wks when we went with Ski Hillwood to Hopgarten some years ago. Mrs Z was amazed that the mother was up to skiing herself so soon after the birth.

I don't think that you'll find skis to fit the young'un though!!
ski holidays
Peter B, Congratulations Smile
No problem travelling with young children I have Friends that did heathrow to Rio de Janeiro with a baby 8 weeks old all aircraft have baby changing facilities on board and if they object to stuff like breast feeding tell them to get stuffed after all the babies only eating its diner.

The skiing trip on the other hand will be difficult Ellmau's creche is for 2 - 6 year olds no longer in nappies Sad whats more the English speaking staff were few and far between. So you need to take Grandmother with you free holiday in the mountains with baby sitting duties from 9.00 till 4.30 each day wink
latest report
maggi, I'm with you on that.Peter B, get yourself into the best hotel that you can afford and pamper that wife of yours. The small person will be better for a stress free environment that self catering most certainly won't be.
latest report
Being in self catering doesn't stop you going out to dinner and taking baby with you if he/she is either sleeping well, in a carry seat, or badly. Or treating yourself to ready made things from the traiteur. "Popping up" to a room means jumping up and down all night, unless you want to take the risk that baby is distressed for ages. Feeding at night in self catering also gives a chance to put light on without disturbing others, make a cup of tea, watch TV, read a book etc. Also gives you the chance for relaxed family times after ski-ing is over, sitting round, playing games, watching TV etc. Or a decent place to be for whoever is babysitting during the day. I suppose a really upmarket luxury hotel would be fantastic, if money is no object at all - but not the sort of hotel you generally end up in on a package. I wouldn't want to spend my days baby minding in the average package hotel room, without being able to fix myself a gin and tonic, make a sandwich etc.

But each to his own! No airline ever objected to me breastfeeding - it's possible to be very discreet - and far less objectionable than having a screeching baby who cannot be pacified. I have noticed, with pleasure, mums breastfeeding recently on both easyJet and Flybe, with no objections from anyone and the quietest babies you've never heard.

As for Mum, ski-ing three months after the birth should be no problem at all, even after a Caesarian, if there are no other medical issues, and what a super incentive to get fit and active again quickly.

Russell. When would grandma ever get to ski, if she is babysitting from 9 till 4.30? Not much of a "free holiday in the mountains!!!" This grandma would want to negotiate....
snow report
We're in a strange situation because we've booked a three bedroom apartment with cooking facilities, lounge etc.. but are part of a hotel, with chalet style catering. My 10year old daughter has a medical condition which means that she has to have a low protein diet. This means we have to take loads of prescription food, like milk, cereal, bread, pasta etc with us and be able to cook for her if the hotel mess up her dietary requirements.

The Grandma option is a non-starter as my mother is 83 years old, is recovering from a broken hip and has stage 2 senile dementia!! Not a healthy combination in your average babysitter. Beanie's mum has already said that she hates the cold, so would be unwilling to come.

I think we'll just have to let a little time pass and see how we feel a little nearer the time. I'm perfectly willing to ski for a couple of hours a day only. I just NEED the white stuff
ski holidays
Interesting point folks. I've just been on the phone to AXA insurance who provided the cover that we bought.

they are sending me a claim form for cancellation purposes. They said there is no guarantee at this stage, and in the past pregnancy related cancellations were not covered, but they are awaiting guidance from the powers that be in the next couple of weeks and it is anticipated that cancellation in these circumstances may be covered. I'll keep you posted.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting point folks. I've just been on the phone to AXA insurance who provided the cover that we bought.

they are sending me a claim form for cancellation purposes. They said there is no guarantee at this stage, and in the past pregnancy related cancellations were not covered, but they are awaiting guidance from the powers that be in the next couple of weeks and it is anticipated that cancellation in these circumstances may be covered. I'll keep you posted.
snow report
Peter B, twins?
ski holidays
richmond, Please don't say that!!! One will be bad enough. I've just got my youngest who is nearly 10 to some level of independance whereby I do not need to look after her as one does with younger children.

Changing Pampers on one child will be bad enough, but stereophonic nappy stench doesn't bear thinking about. Shocked
snow report
Congrats Peter B.

If the insurance doesn't cover it you could always try asking the Tourist office if they can find some childcare for you.

Tourismusverband Ellmau
Dorf 35
A-6352 Ellmau, Austria

Tel 0043(5358)2301
Fax 0043(5358)3443
E-Mail: info@ellmau.at
WWW: http://www.tiscover.at/ellmau
snow conditions
Peter B, as it happens we have twins. It's not as bad as it sounds after the first 2 or 3 months, in fact it's definitely the way to go if you want two kids. I can see that in your situation one will be enough to go on with, 'though.
ski holidays
DB, thanks for the info. I gather they only take children who are nappy-free, but will double check.

richmond, I've already got two!! Two more would be completely unacceptable. If I had still been with my first wife, it would have stopped at two. It will be great though for beanie and I to have one that is "ours".
snow report
Peter B wrote:
richmondTwo more would be completely unacceptable.

Don't tempt fate! I sympathise with your feelings; I have two, and they're completely unacceptable.
ski holidays
I never thought I'd say it, but there is every likelihood that "preventative measures" will have to be contemplated following the arrival of this one.
Firing blanks - What a thought!!

At least it'll end up cheaper which means I can afford to ski again sooner.
ski holidays
Hi Peter B
Been off line for a week - but just wanted to say congrats to you and Beanie - fab news!
latest report
Peter B, just spotted your post. Many congratulations to you & Beanie. The night time noise from the next hotel room last March was obviously just practice then wink

61 when junior's 18 eh. At 44 I'm young by modern standards to have a 19 yr old son & an almost 18 yr old daughter, but they still look at me some times as though I'm from a different planet!

If you can't cancel via your insurance what about selling your booking on? You might take a slight hit but hopefully nothing like £500.

If you do go I've a spare boot bag which is about the right size for a 3 monther & would save on the cost of one of those carry chair things.

Deb has just walked in & I've told her your news so she sends her congrats & best wishes to both of you.
snow conditions
Congrats Peter B and well done. Sorry to read your predicament though and although a bit late, here is my take on it! We skied in Andorra a few yrs back and i was amazed to spot a tiny baby in the lounge area of the hotel. Got chatting to the mum and said babe was 6 weeks old AND she was skiing. Her mum had come along (good old grannie) to babysit and luckily, the baby wasnt being breast fed.

My brother and his wife took their daughter to USA,long haul at 6 months old and had no troubles either. Except the CAR SEAT issue at the coach transfer...the coach driver kicked up a fuss about a baby being carried.......

I am 40 now and have a 5 yr old........ there's gonna be a lot of zimmer frame access required by the time he gets to Uni (if!) cos I keep coming across lots of 'older' parents of toddlers at the moment!

Must dash now, heading for Gatwick and our ski hols tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
latest report
I think 3 months is too young to take a baby to a ski resort personally. I know that babies are born in resort but it is different taking a flatlander to a ski resort. Kids in our local resorts (around 1000 meters) suffer more ENT problems. I would cancel your holiday and wait a year. If you do take him be very careful in the sun, the optic nerve is not fully developed and can be damaged by the strong winter sunlight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy