Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

sudden ski boots issue

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Apologies for yet another boot fitting question but am hoping one of the fitting experts could provide some insight.

I'm currently using Head Mojo XP Pro's with the factory liners and custom footbeds. I bought them in morzine feb 2008 and they were fitted by a podiatrist who happened to be working in one of the shops there and i've since skied 35 days on them as of last week which i spent in La Tania.

Up until then they were always a very snug fit but still comfortable, but last week they just turned into a complete nightmare. By midweek i could barely force my left foot into the boot and my big toe is still swollen with a black and blue toenail and on my right foot i now have a painful boney lump on the outside which google tells me is a swollen/enlarged styloid process of the fifth metatarsal.

I'm off to the podiatrist on friday to get an opinion but i'd be interested what any fitters think...namely if it could be the liners packing out that could cause this.

Many Thanks

Harry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
assuming that you are using the correct sock, the footbeds are all intact and not in the wrong shell etc etc there could be a few things going on

1 liners packing down...if they have does that after 35 days then the boot may be too big
2 ankle clips not snug enough allowing the foot to slide forward which would explain the toe and could cause the base of the 5th to rub on the boot and become inflamed

assuming the second or the above is the problem then clip the boots snugly at the ankle and have the outside of the boot ground a little to acomodate the styloid process

what is the shell check in the boot?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Harry,
Sounds very much like the liner has packed out and is no longer offering the support it did when you first got the boot. It is also possible that the tounge material has srewed the pooch and this is allowing the foot to be more mobile (Fore and Aft) inside the boot...this might explain the toe problems that you are having with the toes. The swollen styliod process is a sign that the foot is abducting to much and wacking into the shell.
There are many things a bootfitter might be able to do to reduce volume where it is needed to stablise the foot these could include tounge reductions to hold the heel back and heel reductions to lock the heel into place. These should keep the toe of the front of the boot...if that doesnt work you could try to increase the ramp angle using a heel lift to pull the toe back. This should be applied to the foot board under the liner and should be done equally in both boots unless there is a leg legth discrepancy that needs accomodating. It might also have an effect on saggital plane (front to back) mechanics so only add as much as is needed to avoid to much ramp angle. The above will sort out the toes but not the thinning of the liner at the styloid process...
Your best option is more than likely to purchase a after market liner such as Zipfit, Daleboot intuiton EVA or even a foam liner. Many of todays stock liners really dont last as long as they should and if you are an aggressive skier it is entirly possible that you have killed the stock liner. With any of these products you should enjoy hundreds of ski days without a problem and both the EVA and Zipfit liners offer a very dynamic and alterable fit option....
Good luck!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Col...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM wrote:
assuming that you are using the correct sock, the footbeds are all intact and not in the wrong shell etc etc there could be a few things going on

1 liners packing down...if they have does that after 35 days then the boot may be too big
2 ankle clips not snug enough allowing the foot to slide forward which would explain the toe and could cause the base of the 5th to rub on the boot and become inflamed

assuming the second or the above is the problem then clip the boots snugly at the ankle and have the outside of the boot ground a little to acomodate the styloid process

what is the shell check in the boot?

about 15ml between heel and rear of boot, other dimensions seem ok apart from where the styloid process is inflamed, there it touches the shell
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a sign that the foot is abducting

Unless there has been injury or some other change in your foot and ankle, increased abduction is part of the process of pronation (it also has the effect of allowing the foot to lengthen)- I would check that you haven't lost a post off the the heel of your orthotic, and that its seated properly in your liners.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a 15mm shell check should be just lovely, sounds like the orthotic is not doing its job, how was it made?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
a 15mm shell check should be just lovely, sounds like the orthotic is not doing its job, how was it made?

I can't really recall to be honest, the fitter made some modifications based on the normal daily wear orthotics that a podiatrist had made for me and i was using at that time.

Just trying the liner again it feels incredibly tight on the toes even when not in the shell.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
15MM??? Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
15MM??? Shocked

yep... (shell size 28/28.5, normal shoe size 44) is that a major issue?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy