Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lib Tech Skate Banana.

Poster: A snowHead
Alright there dudes & dudetes.

I think its about time for me to invest in a new board Very Happy I have been looking at the Lib Tech Skate Banana 156, i can get one delivered from the states for around £360 which isnt too shabby.

First of all i ride a 157 at the moment, one of my pals says that if im buying the lib tech i should go a good few sizes down he suggested 152 rolling eyes For the life of me i cant understand why? Does anyone know ?

Also has anyone had any dealings with the Banana? Its a total Gamble for me so any info would be mucho apreciated Toofy Grin

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dave_wick, have you seen this thread?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45676
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Dave

I have last years TRS banana 159 - I love it - the banana thing is great for messing about with - you can press and butter so easily and it turns really well and floats very well in powder - plus the magnetraction (which is the real secret weapon) ensures great edge hold in hard pack/ice - I find it rides as well as any other board I have ever had - but is a lot more fun - it carves ok, rides powder ok and you can jib it as well - there are better boards for all those things but no better board to do everything!

as to down sizing, I have heard that too - to be honest I got the 159 (about my normal all mountain board size) because I wanted it to ride well off piste - I could probably have had a 156 if the banana down sizing thing is correct. i guess it depends where you are going to ride most - but if you want to ride deeper snow a lot I wouldn't go too small - remember the skate banan is a fairly soft board so although the banana tech will help it float in soft snow it doesn't make it a powder board! My advice it to send lib tech an email telling them your height,weight, foot size and describing what you want to do with the board and asking for advice on what size to get - apparently they are pretty good at responding and at least you would have a proper steer on it - see their web page for contact details - or you could try and find the uk distributor and ask them. You might also look at the wider lib tech range - they do a lot of their boards with banana tech now so you can get the same tech on a board to suit exaclty the type of riding you like to do - again maybe ask lib tech for advice on what to get if not a skate banana.

That said, lib tech make fantastic boards and I love my TRS btx - I won't be trading it in for a long time and if I do its just gonna be for another banana board!
snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a Skate Banana 159 last Autumn - can't wait to try it out.
I wanted something the complete opposite of my stiff Donek Incline 160.
I have owned a Lib tech before - an Emma P 159 - and don't understand the down size comment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers Mate.

I was looking at the K2 Zeplin as i had a go on one there in Tignes and it was awesome. So i aksed my pal thats well into the old shredding what he thought and he told me not to buy a board thats not a "rocker" i had no idea what that meant and now my head is totally minced Crying or Very sad.

Generally what i do is Piste riding maybe a little off piste/powder and the odd run through the park. I dunno if the banana is for me or not. Im confused and am at the stage where i might stick with the board ive got! lol
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dave_wick, I'm off to Saalbach next weekend for a couple of days - will update this thread when I get back.
Given the lack of fresh snow I will probably be sticking to hard pack pistes (unless we get lucky with the weather).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm well I defo would recommend a lib tech banana - if its mainly piste bashing, a bit of park and some light off piste then a skate banana would be fine - as would a TRS and I am guessing that you could down size (but do check with lib on that), other rockers include the never summers (supposed to be good too) and a load of more park specific ones (prob a bit sktechy for general riding) - I'd email lib tech and ask for recomendations for your weight etc and style of riding - see what they recommend. that said they are a sell out in europe and with the exchange rate getting one from the states (with import taxes etc) is gonna be expensive! there are lots of other good boards (non rocker ) out there too for around £300 or even less - ride society, K2 believer, atomic hatchet, rome solution etc are all good all mountain boards that I have heard great things about - amongst many many others - maybe get yourself to a good board shop and have a chat with them too. Lib tech bananas are great but so are lots of other boards- especialy for do everything intermediate riding/general hooning around the piste stuff! just that banana/reverse camber is the hyped tech this year - prob be all different next year!

Jagerbull,
Quote:

I have owned a Lib tech before - an Emma P 159 - and don't understand the down size comment.

The down size thing relates to the banana tech - teh reverse camber shape of the new libs- they say it allows you to ride a shorter board becaus eof the reverse camber shape - see the lib tech website for more marketing spiel!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Currently ride a Society 157.

i can get a 156 Banana from the States delivered to my house for £360.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lib-banana, cheers for the clarification.
I bought the 159 for powder and a more stable ride on pistes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.k2snowboarding.com/product/turbo_dream

Omg this is a nightmare rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OH Just took delivery of his Atomic Hatchet this morning after giving up the search for a banana. Off tomoro to get some new bindings..... I want a new toy !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave_wick,
Quote:

can get a 156 Banana from the States delivered to my house for £360.

watch out for th eimport tax, vat and handling charges though - if it comes via fed ex or similar you will almost certainly get hammered - can add up to best part of another £100 - tax at 3.5% on the goods plus vat on the goods and delivery charges on top plus usually a handling fee of around £10!

not sure about the K2 rocker - their other rocker (the gyrator) is realy purely an off piste board. I would personally be a bit wary of rockers without magnetraction since I reckon they could be a bit sketchy on hard pack/ice - but just my opionion and not based on any exerience of actually riding them!

DebbiDoesSnow,
Quote:

ok delivery of his Atomic Hatchet

good call - supposed to be great boards from all the things I have heard - what bindings are you going for?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dave_wick,
this might be interesting - review of the K2 board - maybe kinda confirms my thoughts I think although seems as if it is amore all round board than the gyrator:
http://www.shayboarder.com/2008/02/snowboard-review-08-09-k2-turbo-dream.html

never sumemrs might be worth a look though if you are set on a reverse camber - I've seen a lot of people talking them up this year and I think they are good value too - certainly NS have a good rep for making solid boards - they come in at about £360 I think - available in the UK.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lib-banana, Doh, Last years choice was the Hatchet, sorry it was the Atomic Axum he got... Looking at Ride bindings
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow, I love the axum, awesome board.

The rocker on the banana generally means you can knock 5 cm off the length compared to a normal board. Good luck getting one, libtech are a pain in the ass.
latest report
dave_wick wrote:

I rode the Turbo Dream at a Demo earlier in the year and really liked it! Love the rocker for butters but couldn't comment on whether it's good in hard pack or not but certainly was fun to ride!
snow report
stab,
Quote:

rocker on the banana generally means you can knock 5 cm off the length

Opinions vary but you certainly can downsize if you want to whilst being able to ride deeper snow - 5cm might be considered an upper limit! I ride a 159TRS BTX - I could have gone down but I opted to stay at about my normal all mountain board length and get better deep snow/of piste performance from that same length (as opposed to riding say a 162 or more for freeride - same difference but the banan tech defo gives you that flaxibility in sizing.
ski holidays
dave_wick wrote:

our local guys said steer clear of these
latest report
As promised, a quick mail after I had used my new Skate Banana for a couple of days..

I love it.

Its so easy to ride. I thought the magnetraction was a gimmick, but I really think it makes a big difference.
Saalbach hadn't had a significant snowfall for some time so the runs were quite hardpacked in places.

The banana makes turning so easy. It felt pretty stable on the flats.
Didn't get chance to try it in powder, so can't comment

The only negative I can think of at the minute is putting feet in your bindings standing up seems a bit more tricky due to the reverse camber.
Not a problem for all the flow users on this forum though.
latest report
Magnetraction works. I'm riding icy hills out here in Ontario and I'm lucky to get on even groomed fresh. I've never sharpened my board (see sig) and it still holds an edge well. I won't be buying any more snowboard which don't have magnetraction.

Having said that I think I will go shopping for an edge tool shortly... Happy
snow report
Shallimus wrote:
I won't be buying any more snowboard which don't have magnetraction.

or until you learn to board properly NehNeh
snow report
Just back from Fernie, spent last 10 days (out of 13) riding a 159 Skate Banana.

Couple of powder days (poor ratio for Fernie) but mainly hardpack, hence the purchase. I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to new tech, but this thing is simply the best all round powder/trail board I've ridden. The extra grip from the MagTrac alone is justification enough for buying one.

Got chatting to a three guys in the spa one evening, all confirmed Custom riders. They'd given it neck after one run that day and were surprised I'd managed four solid hours ripping around, after a late start. The bottom of Currie was like glass. They went into town that night and bought the last two Bananas (Edge of the World). Spoke to them next evening and they were just blown away with the boards' abilities.

A genuine leap in technology that needs no marketing hype.

John.
ski holidays
You could always apply a serrated effect on your tail end rails, with a file, to achieve the same effect. I have tried Nidecker's version of Magnetraction, which is a serrated edge and its very good.

You could even file the rails into wavy edges, as Lib Tech do.

Just having the edges sharp will be a big help.
snow conditions
BCjohnny, what did you think about the reverse camber then?
ski holidays
Reading elsewhere these things seem to be Marmite.

I'd like to have a go on one.
snow conditions
Jagerbull wrote:
BCjohnny, what did you think about the reverse camber then?

Before I bought the board, concerned, but as the shop guy said, there was no need to be.

When you first stand up on it, stationary, it does feel a bit different, weird even, but that lasts about 5 seconds. After that you don't notice it.

You can straightline on a much softer edge on tracked snow (piste/trail) with a lot less chance of catching an edge.

The board floats better in powder. Period.

The board feels much more agile, without being unstable. On trails, in pow, everywhere. One of the other guys who bought one said something along the lines of it "seems to know where you want to go", which sums it up well.

Snappier edge to edge, without being twitchy. Landing jumps just seems calmer. And in the natural "halfpipe" at the bottom of Cedar, it allows even me to look half decent. I was ollie-ing more too, but that might have just been a by-product of the fun I was having.

These are obviously subjective opinions, and having come off an older Timeless. There are probably other things too, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

The MagTrac is equally important. Without it I'm not sure the whole concept would work.

John.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Reading elsewhere these things seem to be Marmite.

I'd like to have a go on one.

It'd a be a boring old world if we all liked the same things, but a fair point.

To me it's almost a revelation, and as to the other two guys who bought one, they seemed equally impressed. The third guy, their mate, who was "allowed" a rip on one, didn't want to give it back. Not a massive sample, but unaminous, all the same, and the choice of the shop guy, and his boss, and everyone else I spoke to who rode/had ridden one on the hill.......................

For the average boarder I struggle to see any real negatives, but the pros may argue otherwise. It put a grin on my face, and to me that's the most important thing.

Heck, I'm even now thinking of knuckling down and improving my technique.

And if you get the chance, ride one.

John
snow conditions
John

This board is different in that people really like it or really dislike it. There seems little in between. Most do like it but, as you say, the pros don't seem to have taken to rocker boards.

Perhaps the advantages only apply to us mere mortals. Whatever, those that like it really love it, so no bad thing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bar shaker, Travis Rice, Mark Landvik, Jamie Lynn and Danny Kass seem quite keen! Very Happy

I do take your point though. I suspect there will be far more take-up next season as every board company has rocker now.
latest report
bar shaker wrote:
John

This board is different in that people really like it or really dislike it. There seems little in between. Most do like it but, as you say, the pros don't seem to have taken to rocker boards.

Perhaps the advantages only apply to us mere mortals. Whatever, those that like it really love it, so no bad thing.

Yep, agreed, but...........

There is a lot of hype (actually put me off looking at one) concerning this board/tech, but one thing is irrefutable. Nothing grips on "hard snow" like this thing. Nothing. We all hope to be riding powder but the reality is 95% of the time what we do isn't, and 25% of our time is spent riding stuff we probably don't care for.

The MagTrac makes the difference between having a couple of runs, then hitting the bar, or staying out and actually enjoying (as much as they can be) the conditions.

The "mere mortals" tag is very appropriate. The pro's (or anyone who lives near a mountain) can afford to forget the crud and stay in bed, those of us that are lucky enough to get a few weeks slope time each year can't. That for most people will be the "point" of this board, not how well it floats in powder.

John.
ski holidays
I ride a completely de tuned board, don't have any problems with ice, real ice i avoid but hard pistes are no problem. I'm off on a board test next week so i'll hunt out some magtrac boards and see. I can't deny that those bananas cruise past me in the off piste though.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
Shallimus wrote:
I won't be buying any more snowboard which don't have magnetraction.

or until you learn to board properly NehNeh

Sticks and stones may break my bones but I'm still not buying Burton wink

All jokes aside, you can feel the difference when sliding across a massive patch of freeze-thaw ice. While I concede that many better boarders are happily zipping round the place without magnetraction, I'm sticking with it.
snow conditions
ronaldothefrog wrote:
bar shaker, Travis Rice, Mark Landvik, Jamie Lynn and Danny Kass seem quite keen! Very Happy

In the interests of fairness, the first 3 ride for Lib Tech (or used to)... but then what brand wouldn't sponsor TRice given half a chance? If he's using BTX, it can't be entirely without merit Toofy Grin
latest report
Shallimus wrote:
ronaldothefrog wrote:

In the interests of fairness, the first 3 ride for Lib Tech (or used to)... but then what brand wouldn't sponsor TRice given half a chance? If he's using BTX, it can't be entirely without merit Toofy Grin

I know, I'm just being pedantic but all these guy's pro boards have "rocker", presumably they did have a choice as both Lib and GNU do make some boards without reverse camber.

It is EVERYWHERE in next year's main manufacturer's line ups, check http://www.shayboarder.com/search/label/2009-2010%20products for the low down. Whilst you're at it, look at the whole site - it's a really good read for someone who loves boarding.
ski holidays
I bought a skate banana before christmas after trying one in tignes boot camp i ended up selling it unused to a mate so i could afford an extra trip this year, the one i used in tignes was trashed on the top sheet( delamin at the tip and tail ) and i managed to smash the nose in on it, my mate just come back from val thorens and guess what the nose is f####d he's not sure if its repairable....
I loved this board but bottom line is i would never buy one again as they are brittle poo-poo, if you've money to burn and not fussed how long it lasts then go for it if you want a board that will last a few seasons avoid like the plague......
So sticking with the old trusty anthem for a while, and got my eye on the never summer sl-r
snow report
romeowner wrote:
rashed on the top sheet( delamin at the tip and tail )

Maybe so, but unlike most boards (e.g. Burton, Rome SDS) where the rail runs all the way round the nose and the tip (sign of a cheap-o manufacturing process and a lower-quality board) Lib Tech (and GNU and Roxy) boards don't. You could get this fixed in any reputable board shop if it's not too extreme, or get some clamps and epoxy going if you're feeling in the mood for some DIY.
snow conditions
Shallimus, ........ sorry not convinced i would rather spend my money on rome, burton or never summer lookin good too rather than trust a surfboard company like quicksilver
snow report
I was in Fernie when BC Jonny was there. The conditions were tough. Not the first 10 day trip I have done but I was knackered by the end of it. Never been like that before. Mostly hard packed conditions though the two dustings were a great respite.

Like he says the hill was alive with Lib Techs and Banana shapes. Was looking at them in Edge of The World on the 1st. Our local shop in Cornwall sold out of Lib Techs in December.

I think for general riding the Magnetraction would be a real bonus. Toofy Grin
snow report
Shallimus wrote:
romeowner wrote:
rashed on the top sheet( delamin at the tip and tail )

Maybe so, but unlike most boards (e.g. Burton, Rome SDS) where the rail runs all the way round the nose and the tip (sign of a cheap-o manufacturing process and a lower-quality board) Lib Tech (and GNU and Roxy) boards don't. You could get this fixed in any reputable board shop if it's not too extreme, or get some clamps and epoxy going if you're feeling in the mood for some DIY.

I think I would prefer to have a rail all the way round rather than keep having to get the G clamps and epoxy out, every time the board touched something other than powder. There are a lot of Lib Tech owners complaining about delam so maybe its as good as you say but perhaps its a technology to far for us mere users.
latest report
romeowner wrote:
Shallimus, ........ sorry not convinced i would rather spend my money on rome, burton or never summer lookin good too rather than trust a surfboard company like quicksilver

quiksilver don't make their own boards. I forget who does but i know dynastar make their skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy