Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Barely Average

Poster: A snowHead
easyjet doesn't fly to Denver last time I looked...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alti - dude wrote:
struggle to see difference between BA and easyJet other than price. I'm not paying BA prices to get a small sandwich and fund the high salaries of the cabin staff and a thumping great pension deficit . . . .

So you know exactly what we earn do you? And if you're refering to what was in the press recently then more fool you for believing it. Do I make judgement on what you earn? There is a massive difference between BA and easyjet...firstlyyou are allowed more luggage. Admittedly, you've less chance of losing your bags with easy jet as you have to be mad checking a bag in. If we cancel a flight, you get rebooked...and mostly a hotel room, if it's too late. As far as I've heard ryan air and easy jet wouldn't be so forthcoming. I think easy jet and ryan air have their advantages and their market but so do BA.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alti - dude wrote:
struggle to see difference between BA and easyJet other than price. I'm not paying BA prices to get a small sandwich and fund the high salaries of the cabin staff and a thumping great pension deficit . . . .

There's always business class. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alti - dude wrote:

You're not .. you are buying a ticket to fly from A to B ... and you'll struggle to find a difference in price, and you don't 'fund' pension deficits ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alti - dude, We costed BA LHR to GVA and Easyjet LTN to GVA. By the time baggage costs, etc, etc, had been added, together with the price of a drink on board, BA were cheaper. It's the final price that counts, not the headline starting price. I'm happy to fly BA and use T5 anyday. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Must admit I was quite impressed that Ryanair managed to get me back to Gatwick late tonight. With all the cancellations going on, I was half expecting to not get home until tomorrow (or later) {err, it already is tomorrow}. Now BA might have got me back quicker, but when they quoted £700 for a return against Ryanair's sub-£100,. then sorry but they don't get the chance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a regular flyer for business and pleasure so can speak from experience - I would always use easyjet before BA for both where I can and price is only on part of that decision (I've gone off Ryanair as there is no flexibility and I have experience of them when there is a cancelation). T5 is OK but spent half an hour in November trying to get through security - it's flashy but not really much quicker. Shops are better though I accept (should I factor in the increased retail therapy spend as a result of flying BA via T5?).

I also think the 'low cost' carriers seem to be more focussed on turnaround times. When I flew BA to Germany a few weeks ago (early morning flight) we were an hour late boarding because the plane hadn't come out of it's car park - can you imagine Stelios or O'Leary letting that happen? When you get on an Easyjet flight that's a bit late there is a focus on 'come on guys get you bum on a seat a bit sharpish as we have a slot to get' - I want that as I want to get from A to B quickly and see planes as a bus in the sky and not something I get a buzz out of as an experience.

Of course there will be times when the price differential isn't there but normally it is (I do it regularly so I know) - in the BA model there is a cross subsidy with those who take bags having the cost of those met in part by those that don't. The easyjet model is you pay what you use. I book well in advance, usually only have hand baggage and check in online.

Nickk65 - I was on a cancelled easyjet flight from France last week - easyjet were great in the way in which they handled it, put us up in hotels etc. I am sure if the press were out of line in their salary indications, the union PR machine would have been working overtime to correct it so we must accept there is an element of truth about the speculation.

Agenterre - who does fund a pension deficit if it's not customers?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alti - dude wrote:
The easyjet model is you pay what you use. I book well in advance, usually only have hand baggage and check in online
In this case the budgets will normally be cheaper and you will not lose your bags Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

In this case the budgets will normally be cheaper and you will not lose your bags

rayscoops, you've clearly not met one of my mates who can lose anything with no external assistance required. He once lost his rucksac in a mountain restaurant - and found it again on his back!!! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2, is he of a certain age ? wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easyjet have never bumped me (and my 13 year old daughter) off a half term flight payed for 11 months previously. BA have!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, can you even book 11 months in advance with Easyjet ?

BA have never bumped me off any flight so far but I am sure they will some time, Easyjet managed to change my weekend ski trip Friday to Monday flight (booked months in advance) to a Friday to Sunday Shocked , and Aer Lingus have managed to cancel an entire route that I had booked six months in advance specifically for a sports event

Anectdotal observations are meaningless though and we should think of the numerous other times when we fly with seamless efficiency Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1171420&highlight=zurich#1171420
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the airline i have been closest to being bumped on is swiss. this is always on a late flight out of LCY so you get lots of business travellers with flexible tickets, i guess

i have had pretty decent experiences with most airlines. i prefer BA to EZY because they fly at better times for me. however, i was pretty pleased to be on BA on my last trip when Geneva airport almost shut down. My flight was cancelled but we walked up to check-in and they rebooked us on another flight that evening no problem. The tannoy was announcing that easyjet passengers could rebook through the easyjet website
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't get me wrong there are pros and cons for them all, all factors, etc need to be considered. I'm using Easyjet this half term (as I did last month). I'd use BA again although my experience last year wasn't great. I've also used them at other times without a problem, as I have Easyjet (and even Ryanair). I see Aer Lingus also now fly from Gatwick to Zurich, I'll look at them too.
snow report
Colin B, Aer Lingus out of LGW is quite a pleasant experience. The check-in is a bit tucked away but much less busy than EZY
snow conditions
Colin B, In will use any one, mainly I use Easyjet and BA (and a bit of BMI Baby from Cardiff ) from Bristol and Heathrow but Ryanair have priced me out with their £40 per flight ski charges. KLM are the only ones who have lost my bags (they boast about the quickest transfer times at Chipol but that is because they leave the luggage behind) and they do that quite regularly.

My mate had a return flight to Swizerland somewhere with Swissair but was busy in work and could not make the out bound leg so he booked a one way ticket with Easyjet the next day, anyway when he went to check in with Swiss to come home he was told his return part of his ticket was null and void because he did not take the outbound flight, and was charged SFranc 350 to book the same seat that he had already paid for, and they started to charge him excess baggage too ! ...... he was nearly arrested at that point Shocked

I sometimes book two single flights rather than a return after that !
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
My mate had a return flight to Swizerland somewhere with Swissair but was busy in work and could not make the out bound leg so he booked a one way ticket with Easyjet the next day, anyway when he went to check in with Swiss to come home he was told his return part of his ticket was null and void because he did not take the outbound flight, and was charged SFranc 350 to book the same seat that he had already paid for

this is standard practice for return tickets
latest report
Arno, standard practice but perhaps not common knowledge - well my knowledge Blush , the same applies for each leg of a flight if you have to change somewhere - I was flying to Stuttgart via Chipol and forgot to turn my watch forward an hour and missed my connecting flight which technically meant all the others were null and void. The nice lady at the desk managed to do something technical on the computer to hide the fact I missed the flight and get me on the next one and the return leg was therefore safe guarded.

It is time like this when you really see how good an airline is Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, if you have a spare moment, compare prices of BA long haul flights if you start in somewhere like Amsterdam and connect in London with flights starting in London. you will see why they insist you take all legs!
snow report
Arno, that has always seemed perverse. One can see that anyone competing against a direct flight must provide an incentive. But their costs will be higher and more precious fuel ends up getting burnt if people take the incentive.
snow report
laundryman, i am told that the airlines are a favourite case study at business schools - i guess this sort of thing is why
ski holidays
Its called revenue management - it is less attractive to transfer than fly direct.... but it is better for the airline to fly with the seat filled than empty. They will try and charge each of the markets as much as they can... and sell as many expensive tickets as they can whilst trying to minimise the number of empty seats.
snow conditions
when my brother in law's EJ flight Geneva - Birmingham was cancelled yesterday (snow both ends) he was offered either a night in a hotel in Geneva or changing to another flight. Sure, passengers were told they could change online - but only if they preferred that option to waiting in the queue.

I was once quoted over £900 for a single BA flight Geneva - London. Laughing
ski holidays
katedenhaag, I can quite understand it from the airlines' point of view; but I think it is one of those cases where the market definitely produces a sub-optimal outcome in aggregate. Therefore, I'd be in favour of regulating the practice out of existence.
snow report
alti - dude wrote:
I'm a regular flyer for business and pleasure so can speak from experience - I would always use easyjet before BA for both where I can and price is only on part of that decision (I've gone off Ryanair as there is no flexibility and I have experience of them when there is a cancelation). T5 is OK but spent half an hour in November trying to get through security - it's flashy but not really much quicker. Shops are better though I accept (should I factor in the increased retail therapy spend as a result of flying BA via T5?).

I also think the 'low cost' carriers seem to be more focussed on turnaround times. When I flew BA to Germany a few weeks ago (early morning flight) we were an hour late boarding because the plane hadn't come out of it's car park - can you imagine Stelios or O'Leary letting that happen? When you get on an Easyjet flight that's a bit late there is a focus on 'come on guys get you bum on a seat a bit sharpish as we have a slot to get' - I want that as I want to get from A to B quickly and see planes as a bus in the sky and not something I get a buzz out of as an experience.

Of course there will be times when the price differential isn't there but normally it is (I do it regularly so I know) - in the BA model there is a cross subsidy with those who take bags having the cost of those met in part by those that don't. The easyjet model is you pay what you use. I book well in advance, usually only have hand baggage and check in online.

Nickk65 - I was on a cancelled easyjet flight from France last week - easyjet were great in the way in which they handled it, put us up in hotels etc. I am sure if the press were out of line in their salary indications, the union PR machine would have been working overtime to correct it so we must accept there is an element of truth about the speculation.

Agenterre - who does fund a pension deficit if it's not customers?

Glad to hear that Easy Jet are good, I'll be flying with them in June. Different airlines work for different people depending on their needs and location.
My issue is with what you say about my salary. To be honest, I have no intention of justifying my salary...noone else needs to!! (which is, after 11 years, certainly not what was printed in the press). However, judging by your last comment, my silence will just mean that you take your statement to be true???? Unite failed dismally on the PR front, whilst the BA spin machine went to work. As crew we are forbidden from speaking to the press. The press coverage was shocking and very inaccurate but, at the end of the day, all I will say is keep an open mind and don't believe everything printed in the press as gospel. You have as little right to judge what I earn as I do what you earn. So maybe let's stick to discussing the things that airlines do/don't do..fact, instead of unsubstantiated comments about our earnings, please.
snow conditions
'So maybe let's stick to discussing the things that airlines do/don't do'

Yeah - BA wanted to fly, cabin crew didn't Laughing

Bet the strike ballot is a resounding NO this time.......

and on cost, Brussels Airlines wanted £950 to go Bristol/Brussles and back (50 min flight). So I'm off to Eurostar tomorrow. 2 returns, 2 3* hotel rooms, trains every 30 mins - £280. Bargain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy