Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Barely Average

Poster: A snowHead
So, arrived in Denver from Heathrow this afternoon..................................lost my luggage MORONS All of it, ski bag and hold bag!!!

Can`t imagine why I took photographs of every single item I packed!!

Last time BA

No more flights with you
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
susieski, Sad rolling eyes Hope you get it back today - losing two out of two sounds like extreme bad luck. Any idea where it ended up? Not really barely average on this occasion I fear - more like Bl***y Awful Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
susieski, I find BA really good, never had a problem. Baggage losses aren't necessarily the airline's fault.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Baggage losses aren't necessarily the airline's fault

Are they ever really the airlines fault?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a few pieces lost over the years - they've all turned up in a day or so; and none have been when flying BA. At least it means you don't have to lug your luggage from Heathrow back to Cornwall. Very Happy

Last time time anything lost was when on a transfer via CDG - according to colleagues this is de-rigour. But in fact the luggage was left in the US.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 12-01-10 9:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We tend to blame the airline although normally the baggage is handled by a third party such as swissport and by the airport authority. So refusing to use an airline may be a waste of time if the alternative uses the same handler
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bad point..... hey lost you luggage

Good point is ..... since both have gone missing they probably haev been sent elsewhere. So you should get them back.

Bad point is going from LHR.... too big and stuff gets lost all the time.

You should be able to claim on your insurance.

Best luck
Bob
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Did you get a file ref? if so keep checking - http://www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/ba.htm

And BA cover for delayed bags is normally worse than your insurance cover.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Are they ever really the airlines fault?

It is the airline's fault if they book your luggage on the wrong flight.

Presumably it is easier to get this wrong with the "one stop" check in process used by BA and other airlines. I have always thought that they only have to press the wrong button and your luggage is on the flight to somewhere else, or, where they are running a number of flights, a different timed flight to the one you are actually on. The system at LHR is extremely complex with all baggage sorted using the barcode on the tag they attach to the bag so once it is sent on its merry way through the conveyor system it is "lost" from that point on.

You don't get to check the tag they put on your bag as it disappears down the conveyor belt - you only get the other half of it with the barcode number on it so you can track it later.

To lose both your bags suggests incorrect labelling rather than one falling off a trolly or something.

While I sympathise with the OP it is just one of those things - a calculated risk that you take every time you fly. In fact, it amazes me that more stuff doesn't go missing given the volume of bags handled by major airports.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm definitely with the OP here. We flew out to Geneva on the 24th with BA from Heathrow Terminal 5 arriving midday-ish. Our big bag was lost, including season lift passes (note to self - always carry these with you!). A man turned up quite late that evening having finally found our chalet (we don't really have an address in Verchaix), only to find that he didn't have our bag in his van. At least the people at Geneva airport kept on trying, and we were called on Christmas Day (we weren't skiing of course!) to say the bag had arrived and would be delivered that evening. 2:30 in the morning it arrived ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tiger2 wrote:
I have always thought that they only have to press the wrong button and your luggage is on the flight to somewhere else, or, where they are running a number of flights, a different timed flight to the one you are actually on.

Do they actually manual push buttons? Once it is tagged, it's all done automatically via the barcodes AIUI.

Quote:

You don't get to check the tag they put on your bag as it disappears down the conveyor belt - you only get the other half of it with the barcode number on it so you can track it later.

On the luggage receipt I have in my pocket at the moment, this gives the destination airport. This is I think usual.

Quote:

To lose both your bags suggests incorrect labelling rather than one falling off a trolly or something.

Or it was too late to make the plane. Or the plane was full.

Quote:
In fact, it amazes me that more stuff doesn't go missing given the volume of bags handled by major airports.

I fly a lot, and agree: it's amazing more doesn't go missing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:
susieski, Baggage losses aren't necessarily the airline's fault.

Yes it is,from the customers view. They are who you take your contract at point of sale out with. You do not have a separate contract with the airport.
If BA's sub contractor (for the luggage) is at fault you can only take it up with the airline.
If you order off Amazon and the goods don’t turn up you speak to Amazon and not royal mail.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
susieski, tough luck. Zip to to with skiing on the slopes, though, as is the case with so many other airline rants that appear in The Piste. Soon this section will have its own Dawn Chorus. Yes I know folk fly to go skiing. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, exactly.

glasgowcyclops, stuff gets lost all the time at LHR? Really? I doubt it, and it certainly doesn't get lost any more than it does at any other airport.

Dwarf Vader, BA is responsible, but it isn't their fault.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hyweljenkins, As the customer I dont care who is at fault, It's the front end that I deal with so it looks like BA.

At work as manager If I blamed a wrong load on the FLT driver. I would get very a short answer of 4 letters.
snow report
Dwarf Vader, what it looks like and what it is aren't the same thing.
snow report
hyweljenkins, Does not matter to me when I buy a service.
There is to much of "not our fault, it's our sub contractors" in this country.
I do not spend a lot of money to be fobbed off with excuses, in this case BA have offered to provided the service and took the money.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, I've had my bags not turn up on arrival in Taipei, that was flying Cathay Pacific, probably one of the best airlines in the world. They stayed in Hong Kong for a while doing a bit of sightseeing, arrived in Taipei next morning. I don't blame Cathay, nor would I blame BA.
Sure the airline is contracted, but quite often baggage handling is out of their control. Would you blame the airline if the air traffic controllers were on strike or there was snow on the runway?
snow conditions
susieski, bummer. Hope you get sorted.
ski holidays
to stir it up...

... I think ground handling for BA at LHR is done by BA...
latest report
I must be really lucky. Never lost a bag through an airport in 30 years and I fly probably 50 or more times a year.
I tend to check in early, which may have some influence, but other than that I don't do anything special.

But bags sometimes go missing for various reasons and I would only judge the airline on their attitude to sorting it out i.e. level of customer service. It's a bit of an over reaction to say you wouldn't ever fly with airline X again just because a bag went missing. Would you do the same if your flight was delayed or cancelled? You'd soon have no airlines left to choose from.
snow report
Not using BA again does not mean you will not lose a bag again wink

Spyderman, good point - it is like saying I will never fly in to Geneva again because my BA flight was delayed/cancelled due to baggage controller/air traffic controller strikes - just plain silly........ it would be Geneva airports responsibility yes, but not their fault ... in the same way the lost bag is the (any) airlines responsibility but not necessarily their fault Very Happy
snow report
susieski, your insurance should cover essentials for the start of your trip (including equipemnt hire, new ski clothing etc) and BA's insurance should cover new for old replacements if your belongings aren't found or are damaged when they are. My ski boot bag and sallopettes were mangled at Munich airport one year and they replaced them without a quibble - just asked me to send my receipts for when I replaced the items that were damaged and a week later a cheque appeared. Madeye-Smiley

Taking photos of all your equipment is a brilliant idea - I'm going to go home and do that for all my gear tonight.

I hope your bags arrive soon.
snow conditions
Aren't BA usually pretty good with lost bags and giving you money for new stuff?
snow conditions
My hand luggage contains the things I could not ski without: ski trousers, thermals, shirts, jumpers, socks, goggles, sunglasses. I wear my ski jacket, spare underwear. Razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, suncream.

Skis and boots are easily hired. (It doesn't seem worth taking skis this year, the internet discounts are offering Gold skis for 45-50 euros for a week; compared to the £30-£50 baggage charge plus the physical cost of carrying the b*gg*rs. Let alone the cost of servicing.)

So I reckon I could have three days' skiing without more than minor irritation, and by that point either the bag has turned up or it's worth going shopping.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
£30-£50 baggage charge
£80 with Ryanair last time I checked Shocked
snow report
OK update,

BA informed me they were in possession of the 2 bags ,apparrantly the BA check in girl had put the wrong lables on!! They were returned to me last night by a guy delivering a van load of `lost luggage` So no hardship in the end.

I am here for 2 months though and there is only so much you can get in hand luggage. Yes you can go skiing easily without your own kit. That is just a very minor irritation. It`s wondering whether you will ever see the kit you have accummilated over years. Claiming for new kit on insurance is not something I would personally find an enjoyable experience.

The stress I felt at Denver airport when everyone else has their luggage and yours has done a disappearing act was immense though. Wondering whether it`s doing a full on `round the world trip `and you may never again see the contents accumilated over years is the frustrating part. Yes I have super-uber insurance but I like my old worn stuff and didn`t want to go through the hassle of replacing it. I had taken photographs of EVERY single item packed as an insurance precaution.

BA gave me $100 at the airport.

I fail to understand how this happend when bags went on together with partners and he got his luggage.

As to whether it is BA`s fault as one SH disputed. I flew from T5 Heathrow. Only BA flights go from there. BA checkin had put the wrong lables on so infact it was BA`s fault.

As regards the Cabin Crew. Hmm, think they must have taken some `happy smiley helpful pills`; couldn`t fault them IMHO
latest report
susieski, thanks for the update and glad to hear you've got your stuff eventually.

Quote:

which for some reason had never left Heathrow

but we are desperate to know the reason!!!!! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

My hand luggage contains the things I could not ski without: ski trousers, thermals, shirts, jumpers, socks, goggles, sunglasses. I wear my ski jacket, spare underwear. Razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, suncream.

several of those items would, I think, be confiscated by security.
latest report
pam w, safety razor is OK, toothpaste and creams fine if less than 100ml each and in plastic bag. Thermal underwear highly dangerous, undoubtedly a terrorist WMD Shocked
latest report
pam w, I take all those plus boots in hand luggage when ever I ski in the US or Canada. Had delayed luggage twice.
snow report
sounds like BA at fault then, banged to rights guv Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops, are check in desks staffed by BA staffers or BAA subcontractors?
snow conditions
under a new name, no idea, but I may be losing the will to live Laughing
snow report
I'd trust BA far more with my luggage than the budget airline or charter mob and I make around 40-50 flights a year.

Pete
latest report
rayscoops, you don't need to check in (ha hah haahhhaah ahahaha ) on the thread now do you?
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
Thermal underwear highly dangerous, undoubtedly a terrorist WMD Shocked

I'm getting this image of sniffer dogs. Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Thermal underwear highly dangerous,

This puts me in mind of the brilliant sit com I have just discovered, "Little Mosque on the Prairie"

best line so far, "It's the perfect Muslim solution; nobody's happy!"
snow conditions
The staff at T5 for check in and baggage are BA staff (not the guys that man the scanners either at passenger level or baggage scanners if you want to be pedantic). The system at T5 is pretty amazing as baggage systems go (and I have crawled around a few!) - but there will always be some problems... tag gets ripped off going through the system, bag obscures scanner and misses flight whilst going through the work-around systems... flights all containerised out of T5 so no bags falling off dollies heading out to aircraft!

Taking precautions and splitting your packing is always sensible - I tend to split clothes between all of the bags I check in so there is at least one outfit and nightwear in each case for each person.... and do take a set of underwear in my hand-baggage... but I may be over-cautious!

Generally BA does quite well at reuniting bags with their owners - hope you get your bags back soon!
ski holidays
struggle to see difference between BA and easyJet other than price. I'm not paying BA prices to get a small sandwich and fund the high salaries of the cabin staff and a thumping great pension deficit . . . .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy