Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VOLKL AC 30

Poster: A snowHead
I find myself being seduced by their charms. Are they sufficiently better/faster/freakier than 4 year old Recons to justify a, let's be frank, completely unnecessary but highly desirable purchase?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see, looking to cover yourself against the wife eh? Little Angel

I think you need this: YES!

ps: just return the favor when it's my turn next year please.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
good skis i had recons and then upped to AC30's

they are quite stiff and heavy and you hae to work em to get lots out of em but if you like big fast turns very, very nice. defo a better ski than the recon by miles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tell her you got them in a "sample sale". This may in fact be Greek to you but she'll nod knowingly and congratulate you on your canny shopping abilities! Very Happy

(Cracking pair of skis btw)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John wrote:
completely unnecessary .......purchase

Wash your mouth out Dr John Laughing

I have AC30's and love 'em. I'm a heavy guy ( 100kg ) and these skis are stiff enough to cope with my ham fisted efforts...Never tried Recons so can't really compare.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Curse you all, you're not making this any easier...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, what do you weigh and how hard do you ski...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good question skimottaret, was wondering about that. I'm ~90kg, 5'11'' and like to ski hard with wide fast carves, while mixing it up with steep short turns and a bit of powder when I can. Recons have been brilliant, but I'm finding they break the carve sometimes, and think slightly longer planks would benefit me (currently 167, considering moving to 170/177). The bindings (salamon Z10 I think) aren't mounted on a riser (direct onto the ski), so was wondering if this might be impacting performance somewhat (kit was purchased & fitted at a shop in Verbier so I assumed they knew what they were doing). I've asked around about having risers fitted, but S&R & EB both refused to do it, citing potential legal issues. I also like the sound of the wide fitting bindings in the AC30's and the promised improvement in edge-edge capability.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 12-01-10 12:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John, it does sound as though you might be on a slightly short ski for your ability and size.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
at 90kg a 177 would be better, the ac30 needs a lot of work on short radius turns but edge hold is brilliant and they rip long turns and variables very well.

dont think the riser will do anything with regards to edge hold, riser plates just allow for quicker edge to edge transitions and bigger edge angles. if you are breaking loos you are probably over pressuring the ski in the bottom of the turn, some lenght will help this but being lighter and softer on the ski is the solution.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
the ac30 needs a lot of work on short radius turns.......

You could have told me that in December, I could have blamed the equipment Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
177 definitely - and if you dare longer!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberwolf, i have to say i have more fun on my head supershapes than on the AC30's but then i like to make short weenie s turns snowHead . you seem to be more keen on the big ass GS turns so i think they are the weapon of choice for you!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
being lighter and softer on the ski is the solution.

Being lighter on the ski is the hard part!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rainman, Laughing
ski holidays
Hmm, just how much work are they on the short turns? I do like to rip things up, but I like to vary things, and often have mates in tow who aren't as experienced when I'll be cruising and improving technique, so have to don't want one trick ponies under my feet. If it's a question of encouraging better technique in order to manage the AC30's through short turn then fair enough, but if they're a pig whatever your level (as seems to be suggested by Skimottaret), then perhaps I need something else?
snow report
I would like some AC30's as my next ski.

Currently have a pair of AC20'a and before that a pair of Volkl 724 Pro's.

It's a difficult one when trying to describe a ski, it depends on peoples relative experience and how many other types of ski they have tried.

Volkls are known for good edge grip. I love my AC20's They are an easy ski to turn and I wouldn't expect the AC30 to be much harder? I have spent, over the years, about 26 weeks on skis, and I like skiing all types of stuff. They do provide a great rebound for such a go anywhere ski. I was very disappointed with the Volkl Mantras that I bought, they just didn't have any of the excitement that I feel in the AC range. The turn inititation I feel is easy, and the are lively in comparison to the SalomonX wings I demoed last year, still a great ski, just different, possibly a little softer in feel and a little more biased to the off piste. I can easily toddle along on mine but they are up to the job if you want to rip it up. I don't feel they are a ski that dominates in the right size, far from it.

I hope this helps, it's just my subjective opinion based on my experience.

Good luck, you know you want to... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I considered AC30's and went with Elan Magfire 82XTi in the end. AC30 are almost the same, just a tad more piste orientated imo.

As for short turns, well, it's not going to be a 12m radius SL ski, but considering you have some good technique, you should do fine. They do favor high speed GS turns, but don't kill you if you try something else.
ski holidays
Dr John, Just get some newer,longer Recons...you know it makes sense. Cool Cool Cool
latest report
Dr John, quick ps. I thought K2s/recons usually came with Marker bindings. Mine have Marker Mod 12.0 piston? bindings. Puzzled More of a rail-track system.
snow report
GeorgeVII, new recons? don't think I haven't considered it, but think I should branch out a little. Re. bindings, I know Marker binding seem to be the standard pairing, but I bought them from a trusted outfit in Verbier, the chap in the shop recommended the Salomon bindings after I'd testing about 4 different skis over 4 days and he'd listened to my (interminable) feedback so I let him sort it out, and to be fair they've been an excellent pairing for me over 4 years/10 weeks.

I think on balance I'll stick with the recons this season, but try and rent AC30's for a day if I find somewhere that lets me. Any other recommendations very much appreciated.
snow conditions
GeorgeVII, further to the marker binding thing, I got my recons serviced at Ski Higher in Courchevel 1850 last season and the chap there was surprised/impressed that I had salamon binding instead of marker, he didn't rate marker bindings saying they were unreliable. A personal opinion I'm sure, but interested to hear what the assembled snowheads think about it.
snow report
The whole binding thing is for a large part brand loyalty. Over the years, some brands have gotten 'reputations', be it true or false.

I've met people who deeply hate every atomic binding but love salomon. Which makes no sense of course, as most (all?) atomic bindings are actually salomon.
Head/Tyrolia (again, they are the same) have a rather good reputation. Nothing that sticks out, but everything works as it should. Railflex is known to wear down after a while though.
Salomon has a good reputation because they use the same drilling template on all their models (afaik, I may be off here). They are also known for having adjustable toe height, which some like and some dislike. The 916 in particular seems to be a nice model.
Look/Rossignol are famous for the FKS and have a good reputation.

As you can see, all the above is about reputation and speculation. Every brand has made good and bad bindings, a smart customer just checks each on a case-to-case basis.
Recently, marker has been the most innovative actually, with the Duke/Baron and the Schizo system. I'm personally getting a duke on my new S7 (once I can decide which size S7 I want..)
latest report
Dr John, don't you dare stick with your current skis for this season - they are way too short for you! No wonder you can do short radius turns in them, it's like wearing a pair of welly boots for you! Evil or Very Mad Man up and get yourself some man skis! No, short radius turns are not "really easy" in a big, long, stiff ski - but they're a damned good marker of how you're improving and if you're waiting for your slow friends then you've got some time to put the effort in rather than being away with the fairies! wink
latest report
Dr John, to put this into perspective I am a real live GIRL and at 5'4" I'm on 172cm! snowHead
latest report
Blimey, consider myself told. I like a feisty woman, Alexandra, are you available for lessons in short turns on heavy skis?
snow report
skimottaret, do you work out of Mottaret at all, or UK based? I'm out there 20-27 March and was wondering if you wanted some business, help me make those short turn in long heavy skis...
snow report
Dr John, UK based but in the mountains 8 weeks or so but not on the 20th. How close are you to Hemel Hempsted? i run coaching clinics and do private lessons there. have a look at inside out skiing dot com for details.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reviving this old thread. I intended to test AC30's last weekend but they only had 170, which was too close to the 167 Recons I currently ride, so I tested AC4's at 177 (82 underfoot as opposed to the AC30's 80 and my current Recon's 78 ). The bloke in the shop stated "if you like these, you'll love the AC30's". I did like them, after I'd adjusted to the longer length, they were very stable at speed and gripped like a mofo, so much so that I had to pull a couple of emergency anchors out stops when I realised I was clattering along at a fine old rate, the b*ggers just wanted to go faster all the time. A little hard work at lower speeds but not so much as to be an issue.

So my question to you, dear readers, is am I safe going and buying the AC30's at 177 based on my testing the AC4's?

ps, I'm 5'11, 14 stone and like to ski hard carves, about 80/20 on-piste/off.
snow report
Dr John, yup
latest report
skimottaret, ta
latest report
Personal opinion, based on skiing a morning on the recons and the same afternoon on AC30s, the volkls performed far better than the K2s on piste, much sharper, quicker edge to edge, felt like they were on rails. I was disappointed with the recons, thought they felt like a couple of noodles. Off-piste, I wasn't particularly keen on either, but I'm used to skiing something fatter
snow report
I bought some AC30's 4 seasons ago, so I don't know if they've changed at all. These were on a recommendation of a ski shop in the UK, but I was reluctant to buy them without trying and so I tried a pair in resort and bought them the same day I loved them so much (mind you the £ was quite strong at the time, and they were in the end of season sales.....)

They are quite heavy but very stable as a result, and my confidence at travelling at decent speeds improved no end, and my carving technique came on leaps and bounds. I mostly ski on piste, and my off piste experiences have been fine, although that is probably limited by my poor technique in powder more than anything else Embarassed so I can't really give decent feedback on this.

FWIW, I'm of almost identical height and weight as you. My mind has gone blank as to the length of the skis, but I'll check later and let you know, but I think they might be 170. Whatever it was I bought what was recommended for me both in the UK and in resort.
latest report
Whitters, thanks for the comments, mirroring my experience, certainly as far as the AC4's are concerned. I was initial apprehensive about the 10cm jump in length, but I didn't notice it after the first few turns, they turned very easily with a bit of momentum behind them

So about purchasing the damn things, I've been trying to get a price for them on resort in Mottaret (will be there in March), but got either no reply or replies saying they don't stock them from the 4 local shops I've emailed. Does anyone know if anywhere in Mottaret carries them, and if so are they will be any cheaper than in the UK (£550 with the wide Marker bindings)? btw, EB don't stock them and SnR have to send out for a pair from out of London, so apparently thin on the ground in the UK, and nothing on Ebay unless I fancy importing them from Canada.

Thank you all for your continued patience in this matter, I will stops banging on about them at some point...
snow conditions
Dr John, with the euro rate as it is, you will almost certainly be cheaper in the UK, not really kept an eye of exact ski prices but a £300 boot in the UK is around 379-400€
latest report
CEM, cheers, that's what I suspected. Price in a shop in St Jean De Sixt was €715 (£620), but was wondering of it was because it's a small shop/town that needed to jack the prices. Erring on the side of getting in the UK for price and warranty purposes.
snow conditions
I can echo CEM's comments about buying in the UK. I'm currently living in Switzerland and need a new pair of boots, but the prices here and a few shops I've checked out in France are much more expensive than in the UK - about a third dearer or so - so I'm considering a trip home to see my parents and to do a bit of shopping at the same time.

BTW, my AC30's are definitely 170, they're quick and stable but easy to make tight turns too, but if you're happy with your trial on 177's then stick with those.
latest report
been ripping turns in mottaret last few days on 177 ac30s and was reminded how much i like em... been real cold and grippy really nice on piste and we found some fresh very deep snow in a gully off mount vallon and they were fine in that stuff..

my little one got her first proper scary steep ass coulior under her belt and did well only tumbled once. very very deep and little slabs and boulders coming down the whole time. great fun!!
snow conditions
i tried some Volkl skis in Zermatt last month. I think they were tigerracer SL, and I have to say i thought they were brilliant, I take quite an aggressive line down the hill and I found the stable and they gave me confidence. But I am not sure how much of that was just the mood i was in on the day. Have never tried Volkl before but they impressed me that weekend.
ski holidays
Looking to demo a pair of AC30's in Banff to replace/go along with my GS and SL atomics so can move off piste progressively and must say from the reviews they are exactly what am looking for, edge hold on hard pack and decent float in the soft stuff. Will let you all know how i get on. Fly out this saturday. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy