Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wales Gets New (Temporary) Ski Lift

Poster: A snowHead
Here are some pictures of our portable ski lift working yesterday. To give an idea of scale, the pull distance is just over 100m and the vertical is about 20 to 25m. The large person on the lift is me approx 80kg and the small one is my daughter, a lot less !

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/LlanSkiing3.JPG

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/LlanSkiing2.JPG
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice on skitow

Which is the "Llan" in the pics?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That looks great - quite a bit more vertical then the slopes @ halifax. Give us a shout if you plan to set it up again and Mrs NBT and I will try to make it over
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool. Where in Wales are you though??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Could I ask where you brought that from? A google search has brought up nothing Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is this the same 'resort' that was featured on Wales Today this evening?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones,
No, we are in North Wales. I don't think BBC Wales reporters get up here do they ? It is exactly the same lift though. Great little machine. Never was so much fun had with £6 of petrol.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skitow, Excellent. Where did you get it from or are you one of those dead handy peeps who made it themselves? Where abouts in NW you from? I'm from Pwllheli.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm guessing here, but I reckon the tow is a Britonlift, made by Briton engineering in Huddersfield who now make snowflex, the dry slope matting system. AFAIK they're not making the rope tows anymore but do have spare parts
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, Yes you are right, it is a Briton lift. I think they stopped selling / making them in about 2003 when they cost about £1800 I think. As I understand it the Briton comes from the founder of the firms name Brian Thomas who started making them in the 70's.

Shimmy Alcott, We live just outside Wrexham but the pictures are of a field near Llangollen, purely because the owner is a skier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
russ_e,
Sorry I did not see your post. The answer is in the post above I guess. I don't think there is anything like this available in the UK at the moment. Maybe in other countries ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nope no longer for sale, though I dont have 2k spare at the moment!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks great!

What are the constraints on suitable locations?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis,
The ideal location would be a very wide slope, so that you can have lots of different runs down and the snow will last longer. 120m up the slope with either it being perfectly plane or a slight hump in it, if there is a sag the rope lifts up too high for the kids when the tension goes on. The vertical we had of about 20-25m is about right for good skiers, snowboarders find it more difficult, although one of our group on Sunday had no problems but he is quite experienced.
Vehicle access to the top of the slope is ideal because it saves pulling the winch up the hill, but vehicle access to the bottom is good for a starter. On Sunday we had a 200m walk from the vehicle to the bottom of the slope !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Where in North Wales is this tow rope?
ski holidays
I have some good fields if you fancy bringing your tow rope, I am an hour south of Llangollen
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy