Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing a new north face jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guy's and gals! I've got a new North face decagon jacket which i've used a few times at the snow dome. I purchased some grangers 30 degree wash. I put it on a 30 degree wash with the reccomended amount and then stuck it in the tumble dryer on a low heat setting. I've done this with my north face gloves and trousers too (both washed with grangers last year after my holiday). From what i can find online it seems i don't need to re-proof every wash, more like very 5 washes or there abouts. Is this correct?

Hugh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

t seems i don't need to re-proof every wash, more like very 5 washes or there abouts

I'm no expert, but this sounds about right. By using the Grangers wash stuff, you should be leaving the waterproofing intact on the clothing (standard detergents strip it off).

The waterpoofing in the fabric will slowly wear-off - but in theory re-waterproofing every wash shouldn't be necassary.

(edited for spelling errors)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hugh B - that sounds correct. Best to run the machine empty on boil first, even better twice to remove residual detergent from the drum/dispenser. If only boiling the machine once I would take out the soap dispenser - if you can - and get all the gunge that accumulates off it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dont know what is in Grangers but...

I used to always give my jackets a wash with paramo tech wash and then a TX10 spray. A lot of Gortex breathability depends on the outer layer being dry.

Cheers
Bob
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I may be wrong here but Ive had my NF Dec' jacket for 3 years, its had 3 weeks on the snow and I use it when its realy cold and wet to walk to work in.
Its had several washes and Ive never needed to use a after market waterproofing solution.
I dont think NF say it needs it.
You could be compromising the materials. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The waterproofing is not compromised by washing. It is GoreTex.

However, the breathability is affected if the outer fabric is wet. Something like TX10 prevents the outer canvasy material getting wet.

cheers
bob
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just out of interest, where do you put the proofing solution? I assume you pour over the clothing in the machine?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So my ski jacket has a lot of white on it, but also has black and a bit of red. It's now very grubby and needs washing, but what do I wash it with to clean it without ruining the waterproofing?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Picadilly, I'd try initially with normal Techwash - bearing in mind the points above about ensuring there's no detergent in the machine. Respect the temperature guidance on the label. If the grubbiest bits stay grubby, maybe some judicious spraying with Vanish (but is that a detergent? I'd be interested in other views on that).

The best is to wash fairly freqently so they don't get too dirty - I think Goretex and similar fabrics perform better if kept clean.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The NF Dec' jacket is not a Gor jacket glasgowcyclops, . Its NF Hyvent.

Does that make any difference?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thankspam w, I've washed it with Grangers before but it's now very grubby and really needs to be machine-washed properly..

Could I do that, then re-proof it? Or is there any stuff which cleans AND proofs?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy